• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sues George 'geohot' Hotz and fail0verflow over PS3 jailbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SapientWolf said:
Probably just the opposite. Nerds don't have a very high tolerance for bullies.

Time being is the key word. At some point, it'll probably backfire. But, it might take a few months, maybe more till we get to that point. Geohotz admitted he was scared of being sued, even though he felt confident that they wouldn't be able to successfully.

jcm

Well, he did say "if you want your next console to be secure, get in touch with me. any of you 3" when he released their now. Now they've gotten in touch with him.

SapientWolf said:

It's out in the wild though, there's millions of programmers out there who could run with what geo has accomplished who all live in various countries. I'm in networking and I could probably put together a front end for a PS3 Cydia App store in a month or so with my very limited programming knowledge.

Once it's on the net, you can't undo it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
SapientWolf said:
Not all, some seem to be happy to defend Sony every time an anti-consumer measure comes in effect. Removal of BC, Removal of Linux, etc. Already got a batch of cheerleaders(Probably many of the same) willing take up the pom poms once more.

I3rand0

They updated the original story on Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/sony-sues-geohot-fail0verflow-over-ps3-exploits/

Update: Nilay here -- let's take a look at what's going on. This isn't a "lawsuit" in the traditional sense, since Sony hasn't filed a complaint for copyright infringement or whatever against Geohot and friends. Instead, the company appears to be trying to shove the genie back in the bottle and have the jailbreak and any information about the jailbreak removed from the web by filing a temporary restraining order. That might work in the short term -- Geohot's already pulled his pages down -- but history suggests that the forces of paperwork rarely triumph over the righteous anger of nerds, and that this code is out there for good. That said, we'll see what the court says tomorrow; although we very much doubt Sony's melodramatic proposed motion and order will be granted as written, we wouldn't be surprised if some sort of order is eventually granted -- and then from there a formal lawsuit is likely just a few days away.

[Sony] appears to be trying to shove the genie back in the bottle and have the jailbreak and any information about the jailbreak removed from the web by filing a temporary restraining order.
:lol Yeah good luck with that

Zapages

Zoe said:
And then more people will get TRO's filed against them as others try to pick up his work.

not if they never connect it to the internet. I know a few folks who have PS3 slims and they have yet to connect it to the internet. They think it can even play PC games. Yeah they will love this and ask me to install this stuff on their PS3s. >_> Not looking forward to that as I have not done it on my PS3.

Vamphuntr said:
Sony lawyers are dumb alright. Keys are everywhere already. Calling big brother to censor them out.

The only thing scary about this situation is that I can see some old congressman somewhere holding a hat full of money writing legislation to clamp down on the internet as a matter of national security, and citing this as one of the reasons why.

Zeliard

engadget said:
Instead, the company appears to be trying to shove the genie back in the bottle and have the jailbreak and any information about the jailbreak removed from the web by filing a temporary restraining order.

Effective!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Think there's still a chance that Sony will give Geohot that job he wanted? :lol

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Zoe said:
Anonymity only goes so far...

And people like to get credit for their work.

Reminds me of that case a few years ago where an idiot hacker goes to a bar and starts bragging about what he did. His ass was caught pretty quick. :lol

shintoki said:
Not all, some seem to be happy to defend Sony every time an anti-consumer measure comes in effect. Removal of BC, Removal of Linux, etc.

I'm not suggesting that...some of the removals that Sony has implemented this generation has been pretty awful, including BC. But I don't think a bully is necessarily an apt comparison in this case, if the threat of piracy goes the way of the PSP. If it were to occur, then who's really being bullied?

angelfly

I feel like getting a shirt with the keys printed on it and walking around a Sony Style store

Zoe said:
Anonymity only goes so far...

And people like to get credit for their work.
warez groups do it all the time

Zapages said:
not if they never connect it to the internet. I know a few folks who have PS3 slims and they have yet to connect it to the internet. They think it can even play PC games. Yeah they will love this and ask me to install this stuff on their PS3s. >_> Not looking forward to that as I have not done it on my PS3.
Don't. Scare them away by saying that if you download the hax, Sony will find out and come knocking at your door with a multi-million dollar lawsuit. It never fails.

Hex

Banned
I am all for freedom to do what you want with what you buy, but honestly all of the high horse is complete bullshit.
I would love for their to be a homebrew option that could be done that could not be exploited for hacked games.
For every one person wanting home brew to make back ups of their games and use other homebrew apps, there are three snot nosed flesh bags already sharking torrent sites for pirated PS3 games not to mention rom after rom of Nes, Snes, NeoGeo and PS1 games among others. If you think that some of those people are not on this board you are foolish.
Some ruin it for everyone, and that is the reality of it.
Sony is doing what they have to from a business standpoint.

Veins said:
Yeah I could definitely see it going this way. geohot is only 21. And I assume there will be a long and drawn out legal process which will cost heaps of money to defend against.
He looks like he's like... 16.

RyanDG

angelfly said:
As I posted in the other thread what he did is covered under the DMCA in the research exemption.

I don't think its as cut and dry as you make it out to be. Which part of the DMCA are you referencing?

I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I won't for a second hesitate to reap the benefits of these hacks, but at the same time, I honestly don't care that Sony is bringing out the lawyers on these guys. I can understand why they'd be pissed...we can say homebrew isn't only for piracy all we want, but we know what the majority will be doing with it anyway. The PS3 just got blown wide open, and Sony is in desperation mode.

Zapages

when the hackers had a convention on what they did, which was OMG they are begging to get caught type of thing. :lol :lol :lol But who am I to criticize. I would like homebrew like the next person, but I don't want to get banned from PSN and all of its great features.

Typical corporate "sue the little guy into oblivion" bullshit, hopefully the EFF or somebody of the same mindset steps in.

God forbid you figure out how technology works and tell others. Lawsuit!

grumble

shintoki said:
Not all, some seem to be happy to defend Sony every time an anti-consumer measure comes in effect. Removal of BC, Removal of Linux, etc. Already got a batch of cheerleaders(Probably many of the same) willing take up the pom poms once more.

This is a bullshit statement. The reasons people have to believe that the key release was not a good idea aren't bad ones, and trivializing them into corporate sycophants is disingenuous. The suing probably won't work, but it might discourage people doing stuff like this in the future. I personally don't want another PSP situation around, since it discourages developer and manufacturer support.

angelfly

RyanDG said:
I don't think its as cut and dry as you make it out to be. Which part of the DMCA are you referencing?
The research exemption:

(4) Video games accessible on personal computers and protected by technological protection measures that control access to lawfully obtained works, when circumvention is accomplished solely for the purpose of good faith testing for, investigating, or correcting security flaws or vulnerabilities, if:
(i) The information derived from the security testing is used primarily to promote the security of the owner or operator of a computer, computer system, or computer network; and
(ii) The information derived from the security testing is used or maintained in a manner that does not facilitate copyright infringement or a violation of applicable law.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
MrPink93485 said:
I'm not suggesting that...some of the removals that Sony has implemented this generation has been pretty awful, including BC. But I don't think a bully is necessarily an apt comparison in this case, if the threat of piracy goes the way of the PSP. If it were to occur, then who's really being bullied?
Poor multi-millionaire corporation, who decide it's better to limit functionality for paying users. In hopes that it deters piracy, which will come one way or another regardless of what they do.

And to be honest, I can give you a dozen reasons why PSP failed to move software before I'd list piracy as one. Piracy isn't the all purpose escape goat that companies like to make it out to be.

michaeljacksonpopcorn.gif

Release the legal files and such already, I need Phisheep analysis STAT

Too bad though he'll never afford the defense fees and end up settling out of court.

Vamphuntr

angelfly said:
I feel like getting a shirt with the keys printed on it and walking around a Sony Style store

Unless you write PS3 KEYS on it they won't even know what they are . And even then they will probably reply with PS3 needs keys? Uh?

zoku88

Zapages said:
when the hackers had a convention on what they did, which was OMG they are begging to get caught type of thing. :lol :lol :lol But who am I to criticize. I would like homebrew like the next person, but I don't want to get banned from PSN and all of its great features.
hackers do that all of the time. Like when those MIT students were showing off the exploit for the MBTA card system.

The MBTA tried to stop them from doing so, but they failed. They also sued them, but that was dismissed.

RyanDG

angelfly said:
The research exemption:

That's what I thought you were referencing and here's why it's not as cut and dry as you make it.

(4) Video games accessible on personal computers and protected by technological protection measures that control access to lawfully obtained works, when circumvention is accomplished solely for the purpose of good faith testing for, investigating, or correcting security flaws or vulnerabilities, if:
(i) The information derived from the security testing is used primarily to promote the security of the owner or operator of a computer, computer system, or computer network; and
(ii) The information derived from the security testing is used or maintained in a manner that does not facilitate copyright infringement or a violation of applicable law.

How is the information derived from testing being used to promote the security? And furthermore, considering releasing the keys has facilitated copyright infringement, how has he met the second clause?

For the research clause to be applicable, both points have to be met, and I'm having a hard time seeing how you are arguing his release of the keys and actions is protected under the DMCA with that understanding. Let me know though if you have an idea, because I'm not seeing it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom