• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sues George 'geohot' Hotz and fail0verflow over PS3 jailbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanDG

bandresen said:

There was working being done in exploiting the otheros as an option to run unsigned code prior to its announcement that it was being removed from the Slim. The otheros was always viewed by hackers as probably the easiest way to bypass a lot of sony's security restrictions and get into the system. geohot was working on the otheros prior to its announcement that the slim would not have the otheros, but stopped early in the PS3s lifetime. Other groups were still working on it.

angelfly

nbcjr said:
newsflash: turns out the restriction order wasn't even signed, that's why geo has put all files back online.

everyone thinks this is just a scare tactic by sony, because noone alerts someone before the raid to collect the equipments used.

sony is desperate.
:lol oh Sony :lol

Phoenix

JordanLMiller said:
Seems like you should be allowed to do whatever you want with your own console. I mean the jailbreak doesn't automatically mean piracy right?

While you buy the hardware you license the software and that has always been the issue. Unfortunately it seems likely that this is going to change any time soon.

i used to work for apple support and we had to review and analyze some of the DCMA. i dont know how it works exactly with sony, but with the ipod specifically, apple basically had the right to say how it could or could not be used. we couldnt tell people how to move music from their ipods to their computers. simply because apple said they didnt want people to do that with their device, it was in violation of the act.

that said, sony might have a case. if they have the same deal apple had, its probably a pretty strong case

Vamphuntr

nbcjr said:
newsflash: turns out the restriction order wasn't even signed, that's why geo has put all files back online.

everyone thinks this is just a scare tactic by sony, because noone alerts someone before the raid to collect the equipments used.

sony is desperate.

The pdf files do state there is an hearing tomorrow morning though.

Zoe

LovingSteam said:
Still ignoring the slippery slope I see.

The rest aren't relevant to Sony. Geohot is.

nbcjr said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injunction#Temporary_restraining_orders
A temporary restraining order may be granted ex parte, that is, without informing in advance the party to whom the temporary restraining order is directed. Usually, a party moves ex parte to prevent an adversary from having notice of one's intentions. The TRO is granted to prevent the adversary from acting to frustrate the purpose of the action, for example, by wasting or hiding assets (as often occurs in dissolution of marriage) or disclosing a trade secret that had been the subject of a non-disclosure agreement.

If iPhone jailbreaking was found to be legal, same thing is going to happen here.

Until you can prove console modifications are only used for piracy (you can't), companies can't get away with telling people what they can and can't do with hardware they've purchased. XBL, PSN, there's no physical product so you can ban people or whatever. Consoles, not so much.

zlatko

Banned
I feel for Sony honestly. They've been struggling this generation to break even on the investment with the PS3 and the lack of sales. It's a damn shame since the PS3 has had and continues to keep having SO MANY amazing games you couldn't get anywhere else. To add it was cool to see Sony do free online gaming unlike 360's approach.

Jailbreak opens the gates to pirating games right? I can't stand people who want to steal from the hard working people who bring us some of the best entertainment in this world. If jailbreak did nothing but allow you to run like the Donkey Kong emulator on the PS3 then it'd be all for funsies and no biggy, but the majority who will do this to their PS3's are just out to get free games.

nbcjr

The TOR is not signed, so it is not valid. Geohot has said he will comply once it is signed by a judge. It seems he got the TOR via email :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
zlatko said:
I feel for Sony honestly. They've been struggling this generation to break even on the investment with the PS3 and the lack of sales. It's a damn shame since the PS3 had had SO MANY amazing games you couldn't get anywhere else AND it was cool to do free online gaming unlike 360's approach.

Jailbreak opens the gates to pirating games right? I can't stand people who want to steal from the hard working people who bring us some of the best entertainment in this world. If jailbreak did nothing but allow you to run like the Donkey Kong emulator on the PS3 then it'd be all for funsies and no biggy, but the majority who will do this to their PS3's are just out to get free games.
True. And that will be the main use, sadly.

nbcjr said:
The TOR is not signed, so it is not valid. Geohot has said he will comply once it is signed by a judge. It seems he got the TOR via email :lol

Can't be required to show up to court unless you receive the summons in person.

Benjamin1981 said:
Instead of suing these people, Sony should hire them to shown them how to make a more secure system for the next console cycle.

Zing! Exactly what I was thinking.

This alledged lawsuit and information control wont last long, and is very shortsighted.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Omiee said:
wtf is this, people seem to think geohot and who ever has all the right in the world to hack a console.
why is sony a bully when they are just looking out for their investment and trying to secure future investments from other publishers. An investment that would be lost if piracy and more things become something big on the ps3.
It's too late. Suing isn't going to stop anything. They should have been trying to cut a deal well before this all went down. Now they're just ineffectually lashing out at the people who would be in the best position to help.

zlatko said:
I feel for Sony honestly. They've been struggling this generation to break even on the investment with the PS3 and the lack of sales. It's a damn shame since the PS3 has had and continues to keep having SO MANY amazing games you couldn't get anywhere else. To add it was cool to see Sony do free online gaming unlike 360's approach.

What about the hardworking people that worked on Donkey Kong :qq

Zoe

BoboBrazil said:
It's going to be delayed anyway just like the one against those guys in Australia selling psjailbreak. Do they really expect him to fly all the way across the country by tomorrow morning with no notice?

ex parte means he doesn't have to be there.

3rdman

Congrats to Sony for helping to strengthen the modding/hacking community further! I look forward to seeing them fail harder in the near future!

Zoe

LovingSteam said:
Which is the hypocrisy of the matter. Go after Geo for releasing the keys but not Google for pointing people to the info. Aka go after the little guy and not the others.

Google isn't posting the keys as a conscious act. If the keys are taken down from the sites that host them, then Google will have nothing to point to.

Vamphuntr

The hearing for a judge to sign this is thus January 12, at 9:00 am? Is that the hearing that is written on the pdf files? Seems likely since there are no case file numbers either.

sangreal

butter_stick said:
If iPhone jailbreaking was found to be legal, same thing is going to happen here.

Until you can prove console modifications are only used for piracy (you can't), companies can't get away with telling people what they can and can't do with hardware they've purchased. XBL, PSN, there's no physical product so you can ban people or whatever. Consoles, not so much.

A court didn't find that iPhone jailbreaking was safe from the DMCA. The DMCA allows the Librarian of Congress to carve out exemptions every 3 years and they made an exemption that only applies to mobile phones. It doesn't have any bearing on the PS3

cacildo

Zoe said:
What exactly would Anonymous do? Most of them were kids running DDoS programs that don't require technical proficiency. The set of people capable of writing successful homebrew is much smaller.

The set of people capable of writing successful homebrew is much smaller, and they are probably feeling, right now, personally challenged by Sony.

popcorn.gif

Sueing does nothing! No matter, how much they sue this one man, it won't cover the future damage and losses.

Game over. This just goes to show Sony is out of options haha. This is Sony's Custom Firmware update for Geohot's life.

I hope Sony looses this battle. Didn't Sony try to go after Dark Alex? Didn't that not turn out well?

Truespeed

If the publication of the DVD AACS processing keys on Wikipedia are of any precedent then I don't see how Sony can try and suppress people from posting keys regardless of how they were obtained.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Purchased the Humble Bundle last month and directed my donation towards the EFF. Hope they take this case and kick Sony to the curb.

Omiee

3rdman said:
Congrats to Sony for helping to strengthen the modding/hacking community further! I look forward to seeing them fail harder in the near future!

its hilarious to see all the hate for a company your freaking buying a console from.

sangreal said:
A court didn't find that iPhone jailbreaking was safe from the DMCA. The DMCA allows the Librarian of Congress to carve out exemptions every 3 years and they made an exemption that only applies to mobile phones. It doesn't have any bearing on the PS3

Hmm. I still think it's a very tricky issue for any console manufacturer to try and deal with. Previous generations required somebody to be selling you a product to modify your console, but how can you make it illegal for somebody to download for free some software that allows them to do things on the hardware they paid for? It's an altogether different beast. I didn't hear about the mobile only thing though, guess it'll be interesting to see how that goes down.

Kibbles

So is jailbreaking just a different term for say, like softmodding on the original Xbox? I fucking loved my Xbox 1 with all the cool stuff you could do and the custom dashboards, XBMC, etc. with my softmodded Xbox. So silly you have to get a save for some shitty $5 James Bond game :lol Those were the days...

Vamphuntr

LovingSteam said:
Which is the hypocrisy of the matter. Go after Geo for releasing the keys but not Google for pointing people to the info. Aka go after the little guy and not the others.

I don't really think it's possible to sue Google regarding the ability to search for what you want. Otherwise it would lead to censoring pretty quickly. Seeing as you can find really creepy and illegal stuff via google I bet it would have been censored by now if that was the case.

Zoe

butter_stick said:
Hmm. I still think it's a very tricky issue for any console manufacturer to try and deal with. Previous generations required somebody to be selling you a product to modify your console, but how can you make it illegal for somebody to download for free some software that allows them to do things on the hardware they paid for? It's an altogether different beast. I didn't hear about the mobile only thing though, guess it'll be interesting to see how that goes down.

They're not arguing the legality of the end user to install homebrew, they're arguing the legality of someone to circumvent security in order to develop that homebrew.

People in the scene had been really good so far with the CFW and the release of keys, taking great care not to release information that could be used to pirate games.

I imagine that care won't be the same going forward.

LovingSteam said:
What? :lol

Do you want google marked as a terrorist organization too? Cause u can find recruting websites through it...

Chesskid1

Banned
lol geohot is in irc and people are telling him to go stay with relatives cause they have to serve him in person, or something, i dunno legal talk. imagine being in his position at his age, i feel for him. hopefully he gets a free lawyer.

angelfly

captmcblack said:
People in the scene had been really good so far with the CFW and the release of keys, taking great care not to release information that could be used to pirate games.

Yup, they're going to cause people to question themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if next week some anonymous coder releases a program to remove the drm off PSN games.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
captmcblack said:

which is only going to hurt Sony & tons of other devs.

This situation is pretty stupid though, it's just going to bring more attention to it to non-nerds.

The only way this legal action helps Sony is it makes potential hackers wary of cracking PS4 or PSP2.

Canova

Banned
zlatko said:

nah you shouldn't. Sony will be just fine. PS3 isnt their bread and butter, anymore. They were doing OK when PS3 was bleeding red, they're gonna do fine now.

It's those small publishers/small devs that you have to feel for. Sometimes one or two games will determine their future, whether they could survive or not. Those are the companies that piracy hurt the most, not mulitbillion dollar company like Sony who has many divisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom