• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony tested Xbox stick layout for DualShock 4

BigDug13

Even though I never had a problem with symmetrical sticks (more the loose-ness and closeness of the sticks), "tradition" is a really stupid reason to make a critical design choice. "It simply works the best" should be the only consideration for a game controller.

I honestly don't trust their explanation. They're right now marketing towards a nostalgia feeling of being a part of the Playstation family of consoles for nearly 20 years. Saying "we're sticking to what Playstation owners are familiar with" is just piggy-backing on a current market push.

The truth is that Sony made a TON of prototypes of controllers and had their first party developers (like Sucker Punch) test them all out and provide feedback which is how they eventually arrived at the DS4 design.

coldone

Both Xbo and PS4 controllers look 1000 times more comfortable than what Steam is trying to sell.

I am happy Sony didnt do any thing crazy eccentric to replace one of the sticks with a touch pad etc.

Tripon

Interning that they considered having the sticks on top like the Wii u pro controller. The Wii u controller is pretty nice.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I can use both just fine without issue, I don't actually see the advantage of one over the other either, so it doesn't bother me.

I mean, in shooters I use the right stick more to look around, that is the analog I need for precision, and it is in the same place for both controllers. The left stick is for general movement, nothing overly twitchy or precise about that but is in a different place, so again, I don't see the advantage of it being in either position, it doesn't make a difference to me.

Eusis

Even though I never had a problem with symmetrical sticks (more the loose-ness and closeness of the sticks), "tradition" is a really stupid reason to make a critical design choice. "It simply works the best" should be the only consideration for a game controller.
Yeah, I favor this layout for versatility (the claw, and D-Pad centric games feeling better for me with buttons on the same level) and don't want it used JUST for tradition or looks, at best they're convenient excuses to keep a layout I like.

I do think variety would be another excuse that can be either good or bad, I don't necessarily want clones of the same controller on each system afterall.

hawk2025

As discussed in the other thread, at the end of the day what matters is the FULL ergonomics of the controller, and not just the stick placement.

This was as Ann as the nose on plain's face for a while -- I never understood why people thought comfort was strictly a function of stick placement.

Amir0x

Banned
They're not saying they went with it because of "tradition", just that "tradition" as in keeping it the same ended up being the final choice. Because they thought it was best.

While I could understand interpreting it that way if that part existed by itself, the context shows the truth of it:

Ultimately, "tradition" was what won out at Sony, with Aoki saying symmetrical sticks are part of the company's DNA. "The prototype team, myself, and also the management team really felt that having this look is the PlayStation look, and we had to keep that."

'Tradition' won out because symmetrical analog sticks "is the PlayStation look, and we had to keep that." They made that choice not because it is the best layout (it may be, not taking a stance on that score) and not because it worked best with this specific type of controller (again, no comment on that score) but because they wanted to 'appease' the traditional PlayStation controller look.

Again, I'm not criticizing the DS4 whatsoever. From everything I've read and see it's an incredible improvement. I'm just saying 'tradition' is a poor reason to choose a critical design choice for a controller. What works the best should be the only real consideration.

Rey

So you're saying the stick layout is nonfunctional?

If they put the analog stick where the D-pad is it would be harder to use the touchpad.

Who cares about the touchpad? Did u ever wished u had a touchpad on your controller?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
both analog sticks on top--much like the Wii U Pro Controller (above). However, Sony discovered that it didn't work

I tried Wii U pro controller and WiiU gamepad and the sticks placement was just very awkward and weird to use.

sja_626

I don't hate the Dualshock stick layout but the Xbox family/Gamecube layout is a lot more comfortable in my opinion and I would have been happy to see Sony adopt it. Their current layout feels a little like they just threw the sticks in the only place they'd fit on the original Playstation controller without a great deal of thought, and kept them there ever since for tradition.

Very pleased they didn't go with the Wii U both sticks on top layout. Something about that just doesn't work for me. For example, I'm usually pretty competent at console FPSs, but on the Wii U layout I suck. Gamepad or Pro Controller, it always feels like my y-axis inversion settings are wrong (no matter which way I set them). I even struggled to use the camera competently in Wind Waker HD.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It makes no difference in comfort, and the symmetrical layout is more logical. They've also found a compromise with pushing sticks farther apart so the thumbs don't bend inwards as much anymore.

EvB

I'd always wondered if the aesthetics/stick locations were essentially part of the brand.

It was going to be tough changing that

I have a range of movement in my thumbs that is standard for a human being, so stick placement is a complete non-issue for me. This is the one thing I can never understand when controller wars spring up,

top.jpg

ah well...

Fracas

#fuckonami
Even if it's worse in every other conceivable way? Because it probably will be.

I'm not too worried about the DS4 as it's been nearly universally praised. However, the PS3 stick placement was a huge turn off for me. They're spaced farther apart on the DS4 so maybe it's not a problem.

We'll truly be able to judge this once the DS4 is released. I prefer the 360 controller to the DS3. However, the DS4 sounds much improved and I'm excited to try one out.

Guerilla

Great decision.

Either put both sticks up there somehow (I can't imagine where the buttons would go though) or keep them down like the playstation controller. Having one stick up and one down makes no sense, because if your complain is that one stick isn't up you still have that complain about the other stick and they're now not symmetrical like many people like me prefer it.

Gotta say, I had both systems and never had a problem either way. I dug playing Halo with the 360 pad and PlayStation stuff
AKA everything else
with the DS3.

Artorias

Banned
I tried Wii U pro controller and WiiU gamepad and the sticks placement was just very awkward and weird to use.

I agree. The Wii U Pro controller is the only one I've ever used where I consistently push the wrong button. I'm not sure what causes it but I constantly press B when I think my thumb is on A.

Prologue

Would have been nice to have both but I'm sure a 3rd party will come and save the day.

There were individuals this generation that even swapped the insides of the 360 controller with a ps3.

Big mistake.

The XB controller is considered by most to be the best controller by and large because of asymmetrical analogs.

People can delude themselves all they want, but preference doesn't make up for ergonomics. I could play a game with the controller upside down and prefer it that way; that doesn't mean it's better.

kasane

Asymmetrical is so damn overrated, I know opinions but those people who like it are preaching it like its the best. Always been comfortable with symmetrical. Glad they stuck with it

Top Bottom