• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony tested Xbox stick layout for DualShock 4

meppi

Really silly to go with looks over comfort.

I've used both for long enough this gen to know that if I had the choice, I'd go with the asymmetrical option.

It is a bit silly, but at the same time, i dont think i would consider an xbox layout "Sony enough"

And as the DS is still the far better pad for fighters, im happy with this decision.

diehard

Fleer
Asymmetrical is so damn overrated, I know opinions but those people who like it are preaching it like its the best. Always been comfortable with symmetrical

It's so not overrated that it is almost the single reason why i probably won't get a PS4. Hopefully there will be a good alternative controller.

The stick placement is a non-issue for me. Asymmetrical, symmetrical PS-style or Wii U style, doesn't matter. As long as the controller is good. Though I will say having symmetrical is better for fighting games.

And I think it is strange for them to stick with the DS design simply because of tradition. Even Nintendo, arguably the most traditional and conservative company of the three, changes their controllers wildly from each generation.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Someone make a Shop of DS4 with swapped sticks.

I tried
evil-gif-occult-x-id-abyss-524180.jpg

Interesting that they tried both, but the decision is ultimately irrelevant. There will always be crowds that claim one is better than the other, and they'll both be wrong. It is a mere matter of preference and practice.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Honestly have no preference one way or another. Most people don't.

The only people who disliked the symmetrical placement was not for the reasons they think. The ergonomics of the DS3 didn't facilitate the symmetrical layout as well as it could. The reason why people like the asymmetrical sticks on the 360 pad is because that controllers ergonomics guide your thumb to that top position.

Thankfully everything we've heard about the DS4 thus far has shown it's a top-dog controller.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Well, at least they were honest. They didn't say, "Oh, we tested both and symmetrical was waaay better." I guess some people (such as myself) can take solace in the fact that there's absolutely nothing wrong with asymmetrical and if it weren't for "tradition," could've been the change/upgrade a lot of people have been looking for (in terms of control scheme).

Heimbeck

Banned
The stick placement is a non-issue for me. Asymmetrical, symmetrical PS-style or Wii U style, doesn't matter. As long as the controller is good. Though I will say having symmetrical is better for fighting games.

And I think it is strange for them to stick with the DS design simply because of tradition. Even Nintendo, arguably the most traditional and conservative company of the three, changes their controllers wildly from each generation.

Yeah and Nintendo did well doing that with the Wii.

I guess Sony like to play it a bit more safe, although the changes from the DS3 to 4 are noticeable but not in the way Nintendo controllers are I suppose.

DrZeus

Don't understand the symmetrical vs asymmetrical stick layout arguement. Outside of preference at least. Especially now with the DS4 debunking any concerns about the new controller design still having "inferior" design. Now that both controllers are awesome we can have some variety without ditching quality. Look forward to owning and playing with all 4
yes I said 4 cause of Steam and WiiU pads
nextgen controllers.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I would have much preferred they went with the Asymmetrical route. However, the fanboy shit storm would have been immense. PS4 controller feels much better than the PS3 one so I guess it all worked out.

wizzbang

Banned
Interested to see how many people fussing about the stick choice will feel 3 months after using a DS4. I bet quite a few will say "oh, a bit further apart and more resistence? Actually this is fine"

Johnson81

Neo Member
Positioning of the sticks was never an issue for me, resistance in the sticks is what made the 360 pad feel much better. As long as the DS4 has stiffer sticks than the DS1, 2, Sixaxis & 4 I'll be happy.

Good, asymmetrical never made any sense to me. I don't get how it's better for shooters either. 99% of the time are spent on both sticks, so why is asymmetrical better?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Still excited to try it out as it look massively inproved over the DS3 but boooo on this choice.

Jack_AG

Banned
Thank the maker. As much as I love my 360 controller (especially for PC, fugg cheah!) I just cannot get around the offset analogs. I can use them just fine - but it feels so out of place to me when using both analogs.

todd360

In this thread it's easy to see who loves FPSs and who doesn't. Try playing Call of Duty with a 360 controller for a few days, then switch over to the PS3 controller and play Call of Duty with that. It's like hell times 10.

I think its more about the ps3 sticks being super loose. Makes the entire controller garbage. They just aren't as precise. Stick placement has nothing to do with skill if your a very experienced gamer. Also collar duty trololol

QuartKat

Banned
The Playstation controller was arguably the best controller ever made
The PS2 controller topped that in every way
Xbox 360 pad is the current king, and unless they make GOOD use of the DS4's touchpad?
Then the XBox One pad with the next gen rumble is the easy winner.

I can't believe they tried out new stuff, but decided on NOT changing anything.
They seem like they don't even care....lets just throw a touchpad on it!
Anyone could have came up with that in there sleep. And I hate when my thumbs touch because the analogs are too close to each other. Has that changed in the DS4?
If so, that's a start.

Madness

Lol at the folks saying good that they kept it. Do you know how many people actually loathe the dualshock controller? It was perhaps the sole factor I went gamecube/xbox instead of ps2.

And yes millions love it, but do you think as many people hate the Xbox 360 controller as much as people hate the dualshock?

If they found that consumers and gamers wanted 360 style sticks, and yet chose not to do that, solely for 'tradition' is dumb.

I have yet to hold the dualshock 4 and I liked the fact they completely changed the way it feels in your hand, but even MLG and PC gamers use the Xbox 360 controller or similar design because they know how good it is.

SlickVic

I don't really have an issue with the symmetrical stick layout, but for whatever reason, the asymmetrical design on Xbox controllers just feels more comfortable. I guess the layout just makes me feel like I'm getting better control over the left thumbstick. It's not enough reason for me to go with the Xbox One over the PS4 (whenever I buy a next gen console), but I probably will pick up an X1 controller at some point for PC gaming, whenever my current wired 360 pad dies.

Sp33Demon

I can use either just fine but prefer symmetrical. I never really understood the allure of asymmetrical sticks. It's not like my left hand is shaped differently than my right.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I can't believe they tried out new stuff, but decided on NOT changing anything.
They seem like they don't even care....lets just throw a touchpad on it!
Anyone could have came up with that in there sleep. And I hate when my thumbs touch because the analogs are too close to each other. Has that changed in the DS4?
If so, that's a start.

good fucking lord

Top Bottom