• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony tested Xbox stick layout for DualShock 4

I'm perfectly comfortable with the DualShock and Xbox controller layout. I can switch back and forth between them with no issue whatsoever.

But with that said, if they have the funds and think it would be profitable, Sony should make an alternate DualShock 4 with Xbone stick placement to appease the folks who don't jive with the traditional DualShock layout.

UNCMark

Banned
The Playstation controller was arguably the best controller ever made
The PS2 controller topped that in every way
Xbox 360 pad is the current king, and unless they make GOOD use of the DS4's touchpad?
Then the XBox One pad with the next gen rumble is the easy winner.

I can't believe they tried out new stuff, but decided on NOT changing anything.
They seem like they don't even care....lets just throw a touchpad on it!
Anyone could have came up with that in there sleep. And I hate when my thumbs touch because the analogs are too close to each other. Has that changed in the DS4?
If so, that's a start.

They're wider on the PS4 pad, but if your thumbs are touching on the DS3, you're holding the controller wrong. Hold it like a human.

DedValve

Banned
I regularly use both controllers, it makes absolutely no difference

zero difference whatsoever. Sometimes I can't even tell if I'm playing xbox on a ps3 dualshock or viceversa. Seriously I don't get the big deal they have buttons thus they are exactly the same.

DS4 looks like a massive improvement however I still wonder if I can just get a steam controller and plug that in.

ZenTzen

so nice they didnt change it

Anyway, the only thing i would change for every controller was substitute the d-pads with the SNK controllers pad, just as a personal preference
neo_geo_pad.jpg

Vooduu

Asymmetrical is so damn overrated, I know opinions but those people who like it are preaching it like its the best. Always been comfortable with symmetrical. Glad they stuck with it

True. I mean our thumbs are symmetrical when our hands are held out so it just makes more sense in Sony's case.

DSC_0276-580-90.jpg

Even Steam went symmetrical (lol)
ku-bigpic.jpg

Ploid 3.0

So didn't microsoft also screw up by not bringing the right analog up where the left is? I mean is so comfortable right?

I can play either way so I'm ok with whatever. I'm use to both the controllers at this point and don't really seem to have an issue going one day playing "The Last of Us" and the next "Halo". This generation I preferred the Xbox controller but I think next generation I'm going to love both. Maybe one more than the other, but both look like they are going to be awesome.

aro52

Glad they kept it, but kinda dumb reasoning. Especially since they threw away "tradition" for the rest of the controller's form factor.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I would have liked both versions, but perhaps the extra space and the concave thumbsticks will help with the issues I had with the DS3.

Gxgear

For me it's the triggers and shape of 360 controller that made it more comfortable for shooters. Not the asymmetrical sticks.

This is so true. The stick position gets so much undeserved credit over what made the Xbox 360 controller great: the superior form factor.

Amir0x

Banned
I have yet to hold the dualshock 4 and I liked the fact they completely changed the way it feels in your hand, but even MLG and PC gamers use the Xbox 360 controller or similar design because they know how good it is.

I'm not remotely concerned. Many, many long time Xbox fanboys have tried the DualShock 4 controller and came away basically feeling it was a revelation. Busty, for example was a longtime 360 adherent and swore by its controller and said he's switching camps. Adam Sessler said he never liked PS controllers yet really loves this one.

The controller seems to convince virtually everyone who has played it. Symmetry was far less an issue than overall controller size, loose feeling/dead zone on sticks, triggers, etc.

So while I agree 'tradition' is a dumb reason, it seems in this case, it did not hurt the controller.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm glad that they stuck to the symmetric analog sticks, i prefer that the most. It would be interesting if they made two versions, one with asymmetrical analog sticks and one with symmetrical analog sticks.

Mattia

Neo Member
What's with all the hate towards the old Sony? I did not follow forums or anything back in the first PS3 era so I have no idea why people are still so upset about the past.

Could somebody explain to me / link something that would explain why they acted as douchebags?

It has nothing to do with being symmetrical, it that the Xbox's thumb stick is in the primary position across from the buttons. The dual shocks thumb sticks were tacked on to the original design and stayed that way. The widening them should help some but I still don't like having to reach lower for them.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't like the 360 controller analog stick placement.

I'm glad they stuck with the traditional Dual Shock design.

I haven't held an Xbox One controller, but I've played ACIV PS4, and the DS4 feels fantastic, and the sticks, buttons, triggers, and d-pad have a wonderful feel to them. Much, much improved over the DS3 (especially the L2 and R2 buttons). Out of all of the PlayStation controllers, I love the DS4 the most. Prior to that was the DS2.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
But with that said, if they have the funds and think it would be profitable, Sony should make an alternate DualShock 4 with Xbone stick placement to appease the folks who don't jive with the traditional DualShock layout.

It would divide the community. You'd invite your buddies over for some good times on that Quadruple, but then when they show up, and they realize that.. my god, you've only got symmetrical-stick controllers. It would be awkward. You wouldn't be able to look at each other directly. Something would suddenly come up and they would have to leave. Eventually, one side gets bigger than the other, and a wall is constructed. Anyone who favors the less popular controller is thrown over, and treated like a lesser person. Tensions build. There are uprisings, guerrillas, all out war. Consequences would never be the same.

(Having them bring their own controller isn't a viable option in this situation because it ruins my argument and hurts my feelings.)

Speaking from experience, the placement makes no difference to me. Both the 360 and the PS3 pads were comfortable in my hands.
Both had 1 major flaw each that let them down. The L2/R2 triggers on the PS3 controller were unpleasant to use and the battery pack on the back of the 360 controller digs into my knuckles.

I'm glad they didn't go with the sticks over the buttons like with the WiiU Pro controller. It's a really comfy controller to hold but it's impossible to use a claw grip on it.

klee123

Very glad they didn't change just to listen to a few outspoken naysayers. Chances are even if Sony did change the stick layout, the naysayers would probably have something else to complain about and still declare MS's controllers as the best.

Fox Mulder

My issue with the dual shock has been that it's tiny, and it has crappy triggers. I don't give a shit how the sticks are. Like having asymmetrical sticks really gives you an edge in shooters, it's just your personal preference.

Milennia

I'm not remotely concerned. Many, many long time Xbox fanboys have tried the DualShock 4 controller and came away basically feeling it was a revelation. Busty, for example was a longtime 360 adherent and swore by its controller and said he's switching camps. Adam Sessler said he never liked PS controllers yet really loves this one.

The controller seems to convince virtually everyone who has played it. Symmetry was far less an issue than overall controller size, loose feeling/dead zone on sticks, triggers, etc.

So while I agree 'tradition' is a dumb reason, it seems in this case, it did not hurt the controller.

Indeed, the 360 controller was my favorite controller of all time... i had trouble playing my ps3 because of how the ds3 was so uncomfortable after a while and made my hands sweat due to the plasticky texture.

I went and played the ps4 for 2 hours straight..its now my favorite controller EASILY.

My big hands fit so nicely , the back almost felt sweat resistant due to the texture.

and them triggers... mmm.

so yeah, the thing was even curved and shaped like a 360 pad in my hands, felt almost the same to me... they literally fixed every single issue i had with the damn controller, it blew my mind.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm glad they stuck with symmetrical, as the asymmetrical layout is incredibly uncomfortable for 2D gaming. I feel that either layout works well for 3D games.

Amir0x

Banned
What's with all the hate towards the old Sony? I did not follow forums or anything back in the first PS3 era so I have no idea why people are still so upset about the past.

Could somebody explain to me / link something that would explain why they acted as douchebags?

When they revealed the PS3 @ $600, they went on a whirlwind arrogance media tour, telling gamers variously to 'get a second job', that we're all loyal anyway and will pay most any price (oops on that score, eh Sony?), that the system is powerful enough to produce blatant crap like Killzone CG and Motorstorm CG (most multiplatform games ended up looking and running considerably worse, thanks to complexity of architecture, although first party games did end up having the edge). All because they were so intent on pushing non-gaming functionality with the Blu-Ray shit that the system was catastrophically expensive. Later they almost crawled out of the hole they made for themselves and the hacking scandal almost ruined it all again.

Good. The problem is analog sticks work in both symmetrical and asymmetrical positions to each other, but the D-pad must remain symmetrical to face buttons or else it is god awful.

tzare

Big mistake.

The XB controller is considered by most to be the best controller by and large because of asymmetrical analogs.

People can delude themselves all they want, but preference doesn't make up for ergonomics. I could play a game with the controller upside down and prefer it that way; that doesn't mean it's better.

have you asked all gamers? I doubt it.

I'm fine with both but have small-medium hands. Could see someone with large hands having problems with the DS3 but imagine most people could adapt if they really cared to.

Think both the XB1 and the PS4 controller will be great

Top Bottom