• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony tested Xbox stick layout for DualShock 4

Fire4444

Neo Member
That sucks, the only reson they're symmetrical is because they were tacked onto the PS1 controller post-launch (to copy Nintendo's foresight on how 3D games should be controlled) and that was the only place to put them.

That was back when the top row (d pad and buttons) were where your thumbs were supposed to rest the most comfortably. The left thumbstick has replaced the d-pad in most applications.

That's not the main reason that the 360 controller is so comfortable, though: when switching between the top/bottom rows, you never have to lift the palm of your hand off of your controller.

Begaria

Symmetrical > Asymmetrical for me. I've been using the Dualshock since it was first released on the PS1. Roughly fifteen years worth of experience has been muscle memoried so hard into my hands, that the Xbox 360 controller just feels alien in my hands.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So basically what they just said is, "we did a bunch of work testing ergonomics, but decided that aesthetics is ultimately more important for the device that controls our video games".

I find that to be ridiculous.

What you just wrote is ridiculous, everything I have read and heard about the DS4 is that it is comfortable as hell to hold.

Agent X

I prefer symmetrical analog sticks, too.

As far as "tradition" goes...I don't think there was anything wrong with the layout of previous Dual Shock controllers. If we ever get a way to play older PlayStation 1, 2, etc. games on PS4, then it will be good to have the classic layout.

They already improved the controller in areas where it needed improvement (such as ergonomics). There's no need to radically alter the layout, when it works well already. Change for the sake of change isn't a good idea.

It's a pity. The Xbox controller layout is much more comfortable.

That still doesn't make sense with me.

The problem with the dualshock controllers has always been ergonomics, not the stick placement.

Comments like the ones we get from Adam Sessler only reinforce this. The stick placement isn't the problem.

Arklite

So basically what they just said is, "we did a bunch of work testing ergonomics, but decided that aesthetics is ultimately more important for the device that controls our video games".

They didn't say that at all. They made a bunch of prototypes and found that they could fix their original design to eliminate complaints, and we've been reading journalist/user impressions confirming their success for months.

astraycat

You really think that if they had compelling ergonomic evidence that asymmetrical was better they'd have just thrown it out for tradition?

What's far more likely is that they tried it and found that the preference for asymmetrical sticks wasn't universal, and that plenty of people liked symmetrical sticks or didn't care. It was probably at that point that tradition actually had enough weight to begin affect the decision.

Personally, I don't care whether or not the sticks are symmetrical. Far more important to me is how they feel when I flick them, and whether or not my thumbs will crash together. If they've upped the resistance a bit and spaced them slightly further apart, then it'll be fine by me.

Mindlog

Also because there's nothing functionally wrong with them. Most PS fans ares used to the layout anyway. If it ain't broke....
Add a touchpad to it?
Stick a light on it?
Make it bigger?

I'll figure this one out just give me some time.

Pagusas

Elden Member
symmetrical inst the issue here, its the placement of the sticks in the secondary position. the Dpad is in the primary position and thats just stupid in this day in age. I wouldn't care if they raised the right stick also like Nintendo did, but having the left stick in the lower position just makes no sense when its your primary input.

xxracerxx

That still doesn't make sense with me.

The problem with the dualshock controllers has always been ergonomics, not the stick placement.

Comments like the ones we get from Adam Sessler only reinforce this. The stick placement isn't the problem.

Yeah I don't think people understand that Sony has changed the ergonomics of the controller.

DrPreston

I would like to see a modular design, where you could unplug d-pad and joystick modules and plug them in wherever you want. For me it doesn't just boil down to personal preference, I think different games lend them selves to different layouts.

Wynnebeck

Banned
symmetrical inst the issue here, its the placement of the sticks in the secondary position. the Dpad is in the primary position and thats just stupid in this day in age. I wouldn't care if they raised the right stick also like Nintendo did, but having the left stick in the lower position just makes no sense when its your primary input.

Your assumption fails to explain why the left stick in the upper position is somehow the perceived "correct primary position" in this day and age.

SonnyBoy

I own both and prefer the 360 by a country mile.

The best decision would be to make both and not allow the controller push people away from the system.

Arklite

It would be stupid if it the device was leaving a negative impression and having input issues with the people who've spent time with it. It hasn't, the design works, and camera controls are also very central to FPS aiming, yet the camera control is in the secondary position on many pads.

I think people are just complaining about nothing when it comes to stick placement. They are both fine. And if not, you'll get used to it if you switch. To the people who are saying 'thats the wrong way' just because it is for you doesn't mean it is for everyone else. It's entirely subjective

xxracerxx

I own both and prefer the 360 by a country mile.

The best decision would be to make both and not allow the controller push people away from the system.

That would be TERRIBLE. Have two different bundled systems and the only difference is the controller?

adversary

Banned
Am I the only one who can transition from either style of controller without making a fuss? I have a preference, but it is not so pronounced that I’d complain about being handed one over the other.

Caayn

Would really like it if the DS4 had a similar button layout in comparison with the Xbox 360 controller. As I prefer asymmetrical sticks. Atleast the DS4 is bigger than the DS3.

Thank goodness they stayed with symmetrical. I bet the negative reactions in this thread are just from people that are used to the Xbox controller, and so they think assym. is better, when it's really not. The only thing assym. could be considered better for is 3rd person platformers and maybe action games, but there aren't many 3rd person platformers out there anymore so that's irrelevant.

Am I the only one who can transition from either style of controller without making a fuss? I have a preference, but it is not so pronounced that I’d complain about being handed one over the other.

i can switch freely as well. I do prefer the Dualshock if given a choice. As to why a. i prefer the feel of the face buttons and B. L1/R1 >>>>>> any trigger on any controller for quick actions.

Orca

Why not put out a secondary controller option that is laid out 360-style? It's not like it changes anything else, and if people want that - and judging by the thread there are a lot that do - then why not?

That goes for MS and having a symmetrical option as well.

UNCMark

Banned

Yep, without much of an issue. I prefer the Xbox layout, but manage just fine with the DS3. I have to wonder if the people calling the stick layout on either controller atrocious cry themselves to sleep any time they have to play a game with the d-pad since they're being forced to move their thumb to the dreaded "wrong" position.

xxracerxx

Why not put out a secondary controller option that is laid out 360-style? It's not like it changes anything else, and if people want that - and judging by the thread there are a lot that do - then why not?

Because you know why. It would cost a lot of money to put out another controller.

Silky

Banned
I prefer Asymmetric over Symettric. Too many times have my thumbs touched during strafing with the DS3 in shooters. (I don't like using my thumb tips for the sticks, fucking sue me.)

It all boils down to preference. Sony should've simply made two versions to accommodate people and their preferences. It has nothing to do with money: because the same expensive color change to the controller will be the same price as the different stick layout.

GlassCity

Banned

If they announced a 360 style controller before launch I would seriously consider holding off on buying the X1 for a while. It's kinda sad, but that small thing is the only thing I don't like about the Playstation. I love their games, but I mainly play shooters and the Playstation controller feels like crap(imo of course)for shooters.

So, I guess i'm buying the X1 because I like the controller better lol ?

Orca

Because you know why. It would cost a lot of money to put out another controller.

And yet somehow third parties manage it. Hell they even put out one with swappable parts you so you could have it be symmetrical or asymmetrical.

All you're doing it changing the position of the dpad and stick. The only danger is that people will like it more, it'll sell more, and they'll have to admit 'tradition' only goes so far.

xxracerxx

It all boils down to preference. Sony should've simply made two versions to accommodate people and their preferences. It has nothing to do with money: because the same expensive color change to the controller will be the same price as the different stick layout.

Yes, because color is the same thing as the stuff inside having to change.

And yet somehow third parties manage it. Hell they even put out one with swappable parts you so you could have it be symmetrical or asymmetrical.
And a lot of times those controllers are pieces of shit in build quality/usability.

The only danger is that people will like it more, it'll sell more, and they'll have to admit 'tradition' only goes so far.
You just said others made ones with asymm sticks.....so I guess they don't sell more.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If they announced a 360 style controller before launch I would seriously consider holding off on buying the X1 for a while. It's kinda sad, but that small thing is the only thing I don't like about the Playstation. I love their games, but I mainly play shooters and the Playstation controller feels like crap(imo of course)for shooters.

So, I guess i'm buying the X1 because I like the controller better lol ?

There's been multiple people in the media that love the 360 controller that have said they liked the DS4 better. It's more than just the location of the sticks that make a controller.

Kibbles

Glad they stuck with it, I'm pretty sure third party controllers can cater for gamers who prefer asymmetrical sticks.
I've never had a third party with good analog sticks though, at least on 360, they all are fucked up in sensitivity/resistance.

Ashes

Banned
Even though I never had a problem with symmetrical sticks (more the loose-ness and closeness of the sticks), "tradition" is a really stupid reason to make a critical design choice. "It simply works the best" should be the only consideration for a game controller.

Tradition could just as well mean familiarity. And familiarity is a half decent rational reason why one controller is better than the other for the chosen platform. They tried it the other way, probably detect a measurable advantage.

EvB

All you're doing it changing the position of the dpad and stick. The only danger is that people will like it more, it'll sell more, and they'll have to admit 'tradition' only goes so far.

They could try, the dual sticks on the dual shock were an optional accessory at first , before it got adopted as standard.

Top Bottom