• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony tested Xbox stick layout for DualShock 4

After the Gamecube controller, anything without the left analog on the upper side of the gamepad is awkward as fuck for me. I don't mind the positioning of the right stick though

Mandoric

Banned
so after receiving legitimate and worthwhile criticism, they decided, "oh, we'll just keep it how it was because that's just the playstation way." brilliant.

analog placement seems to be the only thing wrong with the ds4.

Less that, more "half our potential market is used to our way, half our market is used to our competitor's way, neither one is a clear win in testing. Let's stick with ours and keep our loyal customers happy."

DanielJr82

I think they should still release a version with both sticks on top. I never could get into shooters on the Playstation precisely because of the controller; not just the sticks, the triggers are lacking as well.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

GlassCity

Banned
There's been multiple people in the media that love the 360 controller that have said they liked the DS4 better. It's more than just the location of the sticks that make a controller.

I'm not trying to argue, but for me, it's not. I can 100% tell you that the SOLE reason I don't like Playstation controllers is because of the stick placement. It doesn't matter what they've done otherwise, if the sticks are the same, then I'll prefer the X1 controller. Like I said above, I mainly play shooters and I just can't get use to the stick layout on the Playstation. I'll give it a fair shake when I get my PS4 at launch of course, but I just don't see anything changing.

pompidu

In this thread it's easy to see who loves FPSs and who doesn't. Try playing Call of Duty with a 360 controller for a few days, then switch over to the PS3 controller and play Call of Duty with that. It's like hell times 10.

I have both systems and cod for each. this is not true.

Mulgrok

If they really wanted the best function for FPS they would have made a mouse for looking around.

Better the traditional layout for all genre instead of catering to one over all others.

DanielJr82

Good news! The triggers are better now.
How are they better though? They still look awkwardly placed to me.

dualshock-4-vs-dualshock-3-3.jpg

The shoulder buttons feel more like triggers than the L2/R2 buttons. But I won't know until I hold it, honestly.

xxracerxx

How are they better though? They still look awkwardly placed to me.

dualshock-4-vs-dualshock-3-3.jpg

The shoulder buttons feel more like triggers than the L2/R2 buttons. But I won't know until I hold it, honestly.

Because that is the word on the street from game people and real people. Plus concave > convex.

cammy84

happy with the decision. I don't know why but using a 360 controller causes my hand to cramp really bad. Most probably all the years of Playstation gaming through the generations have caused me to get used to the layout and also made anything else feel un-natural

Tobor

Sad that there are people who still think the stick position matters. It doesn't.

You can design a comfortable controller either way.

Silky

Banned
Sad that there are people who still think the stick position matters. It doesn't.

You can design a comfortable controller either way.

Comfort = preferences. The PS4's design is some people's preference, and others don't like it.

You can't make a universally comfortable controller. It has to appeal to all senses.

Haunted

Even though I never had a problem with symmetrical sticks (more the loose-ness and closeness of the sticks), "tradition" is a really stupid reason to make a critical design choice. "It simply works the best" should be the only consideration for a game controller.
Yep, surprised they flat-out admitted that "tradition" and consistency with "the Playstation look" won out over usability.

A poor choice.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Those ideas included a single touchscreen replacing the main face buttons (X, Square, Triangle, and Circle), which was one of the early considerations. (“The vote on that was probably 100-0,” said Aoki, laughing.) Sony also tried a touchpad on the rear, similar to the PS Vita. In its offices is even one prototype where people can move a touchpad around to different spots on the controller.
Gaben on blast

I don't see why they just didn't just offer a second option. Some people like symettrical sticks. Others like asymmetrical. Why is this a one-or-the-other issue?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Part 2: The analog sticks and D-pad (Tuesday)

This will be interesting, I'd like to know why they didn't go with the awesome Vita d-pad (they did for the prototype but dropped it from the final controller).

DanielJr82

Because that is the word on the street from game people and real people. Plus concave > convex.
I can see the convex style working, but the point I'm trying to make is because of the position of the sticks, it doesn't lend the R2/L2 buttons to a natural feel for shooters. If I'm playing shooters on the PS I'd rather use the R1/L1 buttons instead of the R2/L2, those have a more natural "trigger" feel.

Or am I alone in this??!!

*Cricket*

Haunted

I never had any issue with DS3 or 360 controller, besides the L2 and R2 buttons, which are awful.
"For the triggers, we did test having the triggers not be shit, since the Xbox has good ones," Sony's Toshimasa Aoki said. "Especially from the shooter teams--we got feedback that that's what they wanted. They knew that consumers liked the 360 for shooters."

Ultimately, "tradition" was what won out at Sony, with Aoki saying shitty triggers are part of the company's DNA. "The prototype team, myself, and also the management team really felt that having this shit feel is the PlayStation feel, and we had to keep that."

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I wish they would have at least considered making two different controllers, selfish I know and kinda crazy how it would divide the user base. Hopefully the ds4 will live up to it's acclaim.

alr1ght

Yep, surprised they flat-out admitted that "tradition" and consistency with "the Playstation look" won out over usability.

A poor choice.

They didn't. The actual quote:

“The feedback from the user test team said that we needed to test this version, the Xbox version, and this version,” said Aoki. “[But having the two sticks symmetrical on the left and right sides] is kind of in our DNA. The prototype team, myself, and also the management team really felt that having this look is the PlayStation look, and we had to keep that.”

sounds like both were received well, they simply chose one.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I can see the convex style working, but the point I'm trying to make is because of the position of the sticks, it doesn't lend the R2/L2 buttons to a natural feel for shooters. If I'm playing shooters on the PS I'd rather use the R1/L1 buttons instead of the R2/L2, those have a more natural "trigger" feel.

Or am I alone in this??!!

*Cricket*

I'm definitely with you on L1/R1 for shooters, but only because the response is more instantaneous. I switched the standard setup (L2/R2) in Max Payne 3 to L1/R1 and almost immediately started doing better.

alr1ght

I'm definitely with you on L1/R1 for shooters, but only because the response is more instantaneous. I switched the standard setup (L2/R2) in Max Payne 3 to L1/R1 and almost immediately started doing better.

The throw is supposedly pretty small, so it probably won't be a huge issue if games are defaulted to the triggers. I'm with you on digital buttons > triggers for everything other than driving.

It makes absolutely no difference where the sticks are to me, to be perfectly honest. I think that they made the DS4 wholly unique on top of making it recognizable. I think that should be applauded.

Tobor

Comfort = preferences. The PS4's design is some people's preference, and others don't like it.

You can't make a universally comfortable controller. It has to appeal to all senses.

The preference is for a comfortable controller. Stick position is not relevant to that comfort. A properly ergonomic controller will be comfortable regardless of the stick position.

I understand why people would get confused and assume the stick position was the cause of the DS3's issues. I thought the same for quite a while.

It's freaking hilarious how i feel much more comfortable shooting from a vehicle than on foot in Sleeping Dogs.

venne

If they really wanted the best function for FPS they would have made a mouse for looking around.

Better the traditional layout for all genre instead of catering to one over all others.

A FPS controller would have both sticks at the top. Someone made one for the Xbox years ago. Valve is doing this with their controller.

The Dual Shock was designed at a time when the D-Pad was still the primary means of player control. That's simply not the case anymore.

Xbox's layout naturally puts your hands on the analog stick and the face buttons. PlayStation's puts you on the D-Pad and buttons. It's pretty obvious to me which is preferable.

I think whoever doubts the DS4 (as I used to) due to it's symmetrical placement of the thumb sticks should watch Sessler's video where he talks about the very subject and how the controller redesign has completely negated the need for an asymmetrical design. Also, I have yet to find a negative impression on the DS4, with a lot of people actually preferring it to the xbone controller.

Quite frankly, I don't care where the sticks are as long as it works. I used to however subscribe to the idea that the DS3 design just wouldn't work unless the thumb sticks were moved. I was wrong.

xxracerxx

I think whoever doubts the DS4 (as I used to) due to it's symmetrical placement of the thumb sticks should watch Sessler's video where he talks about the very subject and how the controller redesign has completely negated the need for an asymmetrical design. Also, I have yet to find a negative impression on the DS4, with a lot of people actually preferring it to the xbone controller.

Quite frankly, I don't care where the sticks are as long as it works. I used to however subscribe to the idea that the DS3 design just wouldn't work unless the thumb sticks were moved. I was wrong.

The video in question.

Degen

As somebody who uses the D-pad more than the left analog stick, I really appreciate the priority placement of the D-pad on PS controllers

Arcteryx

I prefer the Xbox layout for FPS/3PS games, but the traditional route is best for just about everything else.

Not a huge deal for me either way.

Top Bottom