• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony tested Xbox stick layout for DualShock 4

so after receiving legitimate and worthwhile criticism, they decided, "oh, we'll just keep it how it was because that's just the playstation way." brilliant.

analog placement seems to be the only thing wrong with the ds4.

Taker666

I think what's better depends on the type of game.

I personally find the dual shock the weirdest set-up for the current gen as to me the primary control methods should be near the top and the secondary should be lower down...so having both analogues lower down seems odd to me.

The Wii U way makes the most sense for games that primarily use both analogues, the Xbox way makes the most sense for games that primarily use the left stick and face buttons, the playstation way makes the most sense for games that primarily use the d-pad and face buttons.

If buy a PS4, then I'd expect the controller to be symmetrical, it just feels natural and better than way.

You did the best thing Sony.

Mindlog

Ultimately, "tradition" was what won out at Sony, with Aoki saying symmetrical sticks are part of the company's DNA. "The prototype team, myself, and also the management team really felt that having this look is the PlayStation look, and we had to keep that."
Wow, that's just sad.

Sony, please go balls out with a new controller. Don't worry about the dumbass stick layout debate. Don't worry at all about 'sticking to tradition.' Make a separate platformer controller if necessary. Charge a premium for it. I will buy it.

PlayStation = symmetrical
Steam = symmetrical
Nintendo = symmetrical
Right!

Look I am use to ti this way so I am happy they stuck with it,no point int changing after 3 gens.

Nvidia Shiled too.

bu... but the Piston?
PISTONF4

and Ouya?
130327_ouya_0021.jpg

vg260

Seems like a 50/50 preference, but I think more people will swing to being ok with the symmetrical layout on the DS4 because, the dual shock was never a well designed controller ergonomically and the analog sticks were a late add-on.

Even though I never had a problem with symmetrical sticks (more the loose-ness and closeness of the sticks), "tradition" is a really stupid reason to make a critical design choice. "It simply works the best" should be the only consideration for a game controller.

Exactly. Not that symmetrical bothers me but tradition shouldn't even play into it. It's about comfort

Corto

Even though I never had a problem with symmetrical sticks (more the loose-ness and closeness of the sticks), "tradition" is a really stupid reason to make a critical design choice. "It simply works the best" should be the only consideration for a game controller.

Absolutely. Usability should be the paramount factor in this decision. They could argue that for the Playstation militant userbase the "muscle memory" effect would make it difficult to smoothly change the layout but if there were usability advantages in a different layout those would get used to it with time.

Pimpbaa

Glad they stuck with the superior layout. But it's not like it would have changed my mind about getting the PS4, because I'm not incompetent and can adjust to any controller.

vg260

Symmetrical w/ good ergonomic design = Asymmetrical w/ good ergonomic design >>>>>>>>>> Symmetrical w/ bad ergonomic design (DS3)

lem0n

Exactly what I was going to say.

This. But I guess tradition is why Playstation owners were stuck with basically the same craptastic controller for 3 consoles in a row. Very glad the DS4 has been getting such great reviews thus far.

Abounder

Banned
Interesting but disappointed. You can still have a symmetrical controller and feature the joystick above the d-pad like Nintendo does. DS4 may be symmetrical but it's the only major controller still living in the d-pad era tradition with that stick placement

It's a pity. The Xbox controller layout is much more comfortable.

It makes NO discernible difference... your human FFS! your brain will adopt to the new method is seconds...

neither method is better than the other it just boils down to taste and no amount of fan boy wishful thinking (from either camp) will change that fact....

I've never had a problem with stick layout on either, both are comfortable. I mainly like the new top of the stick/grip, new triggers, and longer handle on the DS4.

While I agree with your sentiment, in this instance I believe that "tradition" here is used as a euphemism for "we've been doing it the right way since the beginning, so fuck the haters."

Arklite

Absolutely. Usability should be the paramount factor in this decision. They could argue that for the Playstation militant userbase the "muscle memory" effect would make it difficult to smoothly change the layout but if there were usability advantages in a different layout those would get used to it.

Symmetrical sticks are absolutely usable and apparently only improved with DS4. Actually muscle memory in favor of asymmetrical sticks has been about the only 'negative' impression I've read of the DS4, not anything to do with the design's widely percieved capability or comfort. Shit works and works well.

EvB

Interesting but disappointed. You can still have a symmetrical controller and feature the joystick above the d-pad like Nintendo does. DS4 may be symmetrical but it's the only major controller still living in the d-pad era tradition with that stick placement

I don't care anymore. The logic doesn't make sense to me, but if it FEELS right, that's the main thing.

Pain

Banned
so after receiving legitimate and worthwhile criticism, they decided, "oh, we'll just keep it how it was because that's just the playstation way." brilliant.

analog placement seems to be the only thing wrong with the ds4.
There's nothing wrong with it.

So basically what they just said is, "we did a bunch of work testing ergonomics, but decided that aesthetics is ultimately more important for the device that controls our video games".

I find that to be ridiculous.

Symmetry is over/underrated. I just care about whether the most used input on the left hand is both the most comfortable and natural feeling position for my thumb. DS has never offered this. I could care less whether symmetry or asymmetry accomplished this as long as it is indeed accomplished.

Perfect response.

Teletraan1

Banned
I dont care either way. My thumbs bend and move so it doesn't matter to me where they rest as long as the controller is comfortable.

Really don't get the obsession with stick placement.
DS3 for my PS3, 360 pad on my PC.
30 seconds with either one and I don't even notice.

I could have gone either way on this probably, but I'll trust them on this one. The DS3 never felt as good as the 360 controller to me, but I think it was more to do with the shapes of the sticks and the triggers.

Top Bottom