• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to sell PlayStation Vita for a loss, Profitable within 3yrs

lefantome

It will be an huge mistake, they have to concentrate on PS4, if vita can't sell at a profitable price they have to prune the dead branch. They better invest on games than losing money selling hw.

Vita wasn't supposed to sell as much as psp anyway... only the 3ds can survive at least in this gen.

McHuj

I wonder how the sales have impacted this projection. Assuming that the original 3 years to profitability was not total bullshit, it would have been based on decent sales projections. With sales what they are, is Sony looking at a longer time to profitability? At what point do you decide it's not worth it, and cut your losses on a bad investment?

GavinGT

Banned
PS Vita is pretty much more powerful than anything on the mobile market.

Yes, the components might be outdated in 2 years, but it will several more years for phone and tablet to get to Vita's level of graphics as their power usages is divided by multitask usage.

Vita is extremely powerful because it's solely focused on Gaming.

Wait, the Nexus 7 is more powerful than the Vita in every respect. Vita's advantage (like you said) is that it's a dedicated platform.

spwolf

Wait, the Nexus 7 is more powerful than the Vita in every respect. Vita's advantage (like you said) is that it's a dedicated platform.

its advantage is due to the R&D $$$ they put into it to make it dedicated platform, it didnt fall from the sky.

GavinGT

Banned
its advantage is due to the R&D $$$ they put into it to make it dedicated platform, it didnt fall from the sky.

What does R&D have to do with being a dedicated platform? You think there's no R&D investment for devices like the Nexus 7? Being a dedicated platform just means the specs don't change.

Osietra

Banned
Damn, junior necro-bumped this thread. It died a more than a year ago o_O

weird.
But on the other hand, who cares.

I do, as I genuinely agree that Sony has made serious steps in the right direction in pretty much every way possible.

Hard Facts:
Sony
PSN is actually amazingly less of a nightmare to navigate than XBL
Sony are still in the off-kilter marquee IP investments
PS+ is totally sweet

MS
XBL is a nightmare
Stagnating in a lack of new IP swamp
Gold sub. is like trying to justify why you'd want to gild a puddle of dogs diarrhoea.

DGRE

Banned

I do, as I genuinely agree that Sony has made serious steps in the right direction in pretty much every way possible.

Hard Facts:
Sony
PS+ is totally sweet

MS
XBL is a nightmare
Gold sub. is like trying to justify why you'd want to gild a puddle of dogs diarrhoea.

Why are you comparing MS to Sony in a thread about handhelds?

Hatten

You dont get it, by obsolete I'm not saying it wont be able to compete anymore, but that by then the components will be dirt cheap, just like bargain bin phones today outclass the iphones from 3 years ago.

Why is sony losing money on this? I can't think of any components that are expensive enough, the screen is already inferior to last year's galaxy note and the exynos chip is in most new samsung phones so its in full production which means costs are lower.

What is it then? the custom carts?

PS: sorry for the bump I saw the link in a new thread and I didn't think it was that old.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Somebody doesn't get it but they got enough to necrobump a year old thread? Gotta be easier---and less obvious---trolling opportunities.

Hard Facts:
Sony
PS+ is totally sweet

MS
XBL is a nightmare

No need to compound the stupidity of bumping the thread by posting this idiocy.

Because if you reduce the sauce, it boils down to creativity.

Stop.

You dont get it, by obsolete I'm not saying it wont be able to compete anymore, but that by then the components will be dirt cheap, just like bargain bin phones today outclass the iphones from 3 years ago.

Why is sony losing money on this? I can't think of any components that are expensive enough, the screen is already inferior to last year's galaxy note and the exynos chip is in most new samsung phones so its in full production which means costs are lower.

PS: sorry for the bump I saw the link in a new thread and I didn't think it was that old.

Just cause a part is obsolete doesn't mean it's still cheap. The value also depends on the supply of the parts as well as if they're still being manufactured. Any part that becomes obsolete and scarce requires logistics manufacturing it instead of just buying it off the market cheap.

A rough example is like with old WWII aircraft restoration. They're obsolete, the parts were manufactured like crazy back in the day, but they're super hard to get hands on these days due to super lack of supply and no manufacturing so the price tags on the parts are crazy.

gogogow

There is no Exynos chip inside the Vita, it's using a ARM Cortex A9 with SGX543, while the S3 uses a ARM Cortex A9 with a Mali-400MP GPU. So it's not in full production. Compared to the S3, which sold more than 20 million units in 3 months time. However the Vita chip is being produced by Samsung.

legacyzero

Banned

133943640653.jpg

Good God. Who in the world told Sony this thing was a good idea? How in the world could any company release a product so blatantly misguided?

Miles X

Hard Facts:
Sony
PS+ is totally sweet

MS
XBL is a nightmare

This is just like, what? What has this got to do with anything other than trolling. And it's all your (obviously) bias opinion anyway. Go away

VanWinkle

There is no Exynos chip inside the Vita, it's using a ARM Cortex A9 with SGX543, while the S3 uses a ARM Cortex A9 with a Mali-400MP GPU. So it's not in full production. Compared to the S3, which sold more than 20 million units in 3 months time. However the Vita chip is being produced by Samsung.

Well, to be specific, the Vita has a quad-core Sony-specific variant of the SGX543 called the SGX543MP4+. Very similar GPU to the new iPad, although the new iPad uses that same GPU to push something like over 4 times the amount of pixels that the Vita has (maybe well over that; can't remember exactly), as well as the Vita having an additional 128mb dedicated VRAM.

Hatten

Yeah you're right, the NAND is 100% samsung not the CPU, my bad

Liamario

Banned
Vita is a great device. Very capable. Unfortunately rightly or wrongly, it has failed to differentiate itself from iphone users et al. I also think the PSP has left a bad taste in people's mouths.

kuroshiki

Vita is a great device. Very capable. Unfortunately rightly or wrongly, it has failed to differentiate itself from iphone users et al. I also think the PSP has left a bad taste in people's mouths.

I don't even know what's that supposed to mean. Vita was not aimed for iphone users at all from the very start.

Top Bottom