• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony : Vice President for Japan hints at possible PS4 announcement in May/June

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
my prediction is ms monies whale destroy sunny once and four all. final nail inn coffin, everybody go home to you're windows eighty-seven twenty.

Ah a Sleeper MS agent, now your Jak2 and ND bashing makes all sense in your thread

No wonder everyone was confused, thanks for clearing it up

=p

Microsoft is releasing Halo 4 and the next Gears game months after eachother.

Microsoft may have a Forza/Fable game, but they don't seem to have the studios to support a big launch.

All of their recent studios have been recently formed, so not enough time to release a big launch product.

Rare will probably have something, but I doubt it's anything the core gamer will get excited about.

recently formed? most of the reports of the studios forming have been coming out for over a year.

and then there's the third / second party excluisves like ryse, alan wake 2 and they probably have a few others lined up as they have done in the past.

I can understand being pessimistic after the lack of first party exclusives the past couple of years, but all signs and past evidence from the xbox and 360 launch point to them having a good, solid line up that will have a number of exclusives.

doesn't the same apply to most of sony's big studios as well? a new god of war this year, last of us, their japan studios working on killer titles like puppeteer and rain and then there's the last guardian and possibly polyphony working on a gran turismo for vita.

Tesseract

Banned
seriously though, i think microsoft will spend whatever it takes to finish sony. it'll be like when goku (bill gates) told gohan (balmer) now was his only chance to destroy cell (sony).

think about it.

I hope the PS4 looks similar to the PSX.
6WeFW.jpg

recently formed? most of the reports of the studios forming have been coming out for over a year.
That's still not much. Recently formed studios need more time then established studios. So they need at least 2.5-3 years for an AAA title.

alan wake 2 and they probably have a few others lined up as they have done in the past.
True, but all very sketchy. Alan Wake 2 could even be a PS4 exclusive as far as we know
the meltdowns would be amazing, so it won't happen :/

I can understand being pessimistic after the lack of first party exclusives the past couple of years, but all signs and past evidence from the xbox and 360 launch point to them having a good, solid line up that will have a number of exclusives.
Hopefully.

doesn't the same apply to most of sony's big studios as well? a new god of war this year, last of us, their japan studios working on killer titles like puppeteer and rain and then there's the last guardian and possibly polyphony working on a gran turismo for vita.
Most Sony studios have 2 established teams right now. Many of them already have 2+ years dev cycle, so most of them will be ready at launch. Second party too of course. I'm not so sure about MS, but maybe they don't even want to compete and will concentrate everything on Kinect 2 and 3rd party.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Get outta here junior as a rule you must have played a game to have a valid argument. I played KZ1 online for two years and can say in its defense that its overall an underrated experience plagued with poor AI, and performance issues. SP game design, story, and gun play are far from mediocre, however, and the multiplayer is fantastic.

I did play the original Killzone and I thought it as a mediocre experience at best.
I know it's okay to like it, it's okay to like anything these are opinions after all, but I'm not the only one who thought it was not a good product, I'm not saying it's terrible but it was lacking compared to Halo which it seemed like it was trying to compete with.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PS3 BC won't be a deal breaker for most people, but I'm sure not having access to their downloaded games and content will be. That's why I put the 2 different price points - $399 model for most people, it plays PS4 games and they can access their downloaded content. $499 model for enthusiasts who also want to play their PS3 games

Why would it be ok to not play my disc games, but not ok for my digital games? My disc games cost more, they're the ones I'd want to play

Why would it be ok to not play my disc games, but not ok for my digital games? My disc games cost more, they're the ones I'd want to play
If disc games can't be played on the next console then they can be sold off for some money. If downloaded games can't then they're basically worthless.

plufim

Does anyone think it is feasible anymore for it to come out in 2013? If it's not announced at all until mid-2013, that would mean it would go from announcement to sale in what, 6 months? That just doesn't happen.

I'm thinking July-September 2014 now.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
If disc games can't be played on the next console then they can be sold off for some money. If downloaded games can't then they're basically worthless.

You could just play them all on your last console, it's not like all your digital games can't be played.

Does anyone think it is feasible anymore for it to come out in 2013? If it's not announced at all until 2013, that would mean it would go from announcement to sale in what, 6 months? That just doesn't happen.

I'm thinking September 2014 now.

It did with the 360.

PS3 BC won't be a deal breaker for most people, but I'm sure not having access to their downloaded games and content will be. That's why I put the 2 different price points - $399 model for most people, it plays PS4 games and they can access their downloaded content. $499 model for enthusiasts who also want to play their PS3 games
The PS3 had a $499 model, that didn't stop the idea that the PS3 was $599.

The $499 would be the price that stuck in minds. And consequently the brand image that persists in consumer minds would be PS4 = too expensive.

$399 is the upper psychological limit.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, true! It'd be a first for Sony though, right?

Yeah I think it would.
I think most people have assumed the 720 for this year and the PS4 could be late this year or early next.
I don't know if they would wait a whole year after the 360 though.

Striek

We said the same thing with vita Sony will learn from the psp mistakes look how that turned out :/

Vita price point was heavily lauded by just about everyone. People were shocked it was only going to be $250.

What a difference a year makes.

Zaventem

Vita price point was heavily lauded by just about everyone. People were shocked it was only going to be $250.

This is true and i still think the price is great..I remember when it was announced $250 when 3ds was that price and it surprised so many people.It's the lack of games holding it back.

We said the same thing with vita Sony will learn from the psp mistakes look how that turned out :/
The design philosophy was markedly different between the PSV and PS3.

It was designed with essentially "off the shelf" components. It was designed from the outset with a target price in mind, and costing based on that target price.

PSV's problems simply lie in that there is no market for a higher-end dedicated gaming handheld; especially giving the overall shrinking of the dedicated handheld console market.

DBT85

Whatever the price is, I want me Dualshock 3 and Move controllers to be compatible with future system. Invested a lot of money on them!

I would assume that they would work. Though possibly they would include something with the DS4, that means you'll want one. Also, I like my Yellow and Orange DS3s from Colorware. Though if they head fora controller with a slightly larger size a la the 360pad or the Wii U Pro then I'll get one.

Launch - December 2013 (Japan) - February 2014(US) - March 22014(Europe)

Price - $399/£399/€399 (no backwards compatability)

$499/£499/€499 (backwards comptability)

Put your money on it

No thanks.

The Euro/Dollar prices might be identical but there is no way the Pound price will be.

I'd be more comfortable saying that it'll be circa ¥35,000-40,000, $€399 and £350, maybe £330.

Whatever it will be, when converted back to Yen at the current exchange rates the US will get it cheaper than Japan, and the EU will get it for the same or more than Japan.

Also the only in built BC will be PS 1 & 2 in my view. I don't know enough about board complexity, part costs, etc etc to explain why other than it's an expense I think that a chunk of the market doesn't need to pay for as they don't use it. I believe manufacturing two different boards, with two different configurations isn't a cost effective way of giving it to those that do. I think the only difference in SKUs, should there be more than one, will be HDD size and/or packed in stuff like HDMI/Headset/game.

More likely for me is a port on the back for connection to a device as described in that patent they have that can sit next to the PS4 and contain the requisite hardware to do PS3 BC for those that want to pay for it who also don't want to keep their existing PS3 next to it. Plus they can sell that box for profit off the bat any anyone can add it on later if they choose to.

Regarding HDDs, I wonder if Sony will go down the line of making people buy an official drive like Microsoft did with the 360, or if they'll stick with maybe "certified" drives that match minimum requirements or they'll just let it be a FFA like it was on the PS3. I'd love to see an empty SKU with "YOU NEED TO BUY A HDD BITCHES" written on the box in big ass lettering for those that do want to drop their own drive in. I still don't think they'll put an SSD in for general access, though I'm sure it'll have internal flash for the OS and stuff as has been predicted.

misterF

Neo Member
All this recent speculation and rumored leaked specs are making the wait unbearable.

A lot of people have been voicing concerns about the PS4's launch line up based on the PS2 and PS3. I can see where they're coming from but I don't see history repeating itself with the PS4. The PS2's launch shouldn't be taken into consideration as at the time Sony weren't the 1st party developer they are now. At the time the PS3 launched a lot of Sony's 1st/2nd party studios just weren't and couldn't be ready. Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch had just released a game the year before, Sony Santa Monica were working on God of War 2 for PS2 and Zipper and Incognito were working on the PSP. Third parties of course were struggling to develop games for it and Sony , due to lack of foresight or simply lack of experience compared to Microsoft, failed to release an online service that was great from day 1 which resulted in a PSN store that was also lacking in quality. I'm optimistic that PS4's launch will be much stronger. By the time the console launches only Naughty Dog (Last of Us) and SSM (God of War Ascension) will have recently released a game and both of them have grown enough since the PS3 launch that they have enough resources to be working on PS3 and PS4 (in a sufficient capacity) simultaneously. Third parties will of course have a much easier time developing for the PS4 and this time it won't be Sony's first time creating an online infrastructure for their game system which should translate in a more robust library of downloadable games.

What I'm less optimistic about though is the price, the way they'll market the new console and the lack of an equivalent to Nintendo's touch screen based controller and Microsoft's Kinect. I have no idea of how they'll counter the latter(do they even need to?) and I hope they won't launch the PS4 at an outrageous price but I can't see them winning the marketing battle against Microsoft. Against Nintendo it was easier as they could work with the "mature games" angle but against Microsoft they have to be more creative and not in the creepy baby doll way. All of this makes for fascinating speculation but the months leading up to the reveals are going to be painful.

PaulLFC

Is "analyst" stuff worth a new thread? Not sure if it is so I'll just put it here for now.

Predictions: PS4 launching in October, Durango in November. Has "heard of some production issues with PS4" but doesn't say what they are.

Baird Equity Research’s Colin Sebastian believes that the PS4 will launch in October and will be followed by an Xbox 720 arrival the following month.

However, he also claims in a note to analysts that he’s heard word of “early production issues with Sony's PS4” that could delay Sony’s plans.

Oddly, last year had tipsters saying that it was Microsoft’s machine that was suffering technical hiccups.

"Given the fragile state of the console game market, we expect the E3 trade show in June will take on added significance, most likely providing the industry with the first public opportunity to examine next-generation hardware," Sebastian stated.

"Our checks suggest that next-generation console hardware will be largely built from 'off the shelf' high-end PC components, along with hybrid physical/digital distribution models, enhanced voice controls and motion sensing (Kinect integration with every Xbox), and broad multi-media capabilities," he detailed.

He also had a word of warning for Nintendo, whom he believes will need to quickly bring its big franchises to Wii U if it wishes to widen the reach of the new console beyond the company’s loyalists.

"We remain concerned that Nintendo's innovative Wii-U console will lack broad appeal beyond the core Nintendo fan base,” he argued.

"Following a somewhat lacklustre launch and holiday selling season, Nintendo will need to bring to market major first-party releases and retain the support of key third-party developers to reduce market share losses. In a negative scenario, Nintendo will be forced to prematurely lower the Wii-U price, and over the course of this cycle, we expect consideration will be given to extending first party franchises to other platforms."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/analyst-says-ps4-launching-this-october-xbox-720-in-november/0109252

mrklaw

MrArseFace

most disc games are pretty much worthless for trade-in after a while though. Even worse with online passes etc.

these "something maybe announced in the coming months" style of announcements are the most painful :D im already way too antsy about E3...

Number45

Launch - December 2013 (Japan) - February 2014(US) - March 22014(Europe)

Price - $399/£399/€399 (no backwards compatability)

$499/£499/€499 (backwards comptability)

Put your money on it
March 22014 sounds about right for us.
:'(

Determined to wait it out this time, I don't want to import. MUST. BE. STRONG!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
March 22014 sounds about right for us.
:'(

Determined to wait it out this time, I don't want to import. MUST. BE. STRONG!
And don't we know it, how much does GAF reckon I should put aside, 400 or 500 pounds?
I really wanted a new TV though :-(

What if MGS Ground Zeros is announced for PS4 launch as well as the PS3 release....
184201_south_park_i_just_came_1.jpg

Number45

I don't see it being any more than £400 at the top end. In fact I'm hoping to be able to get it with a game and maybe another controller for that money. I'll get it either way of course!

I'd love a TV as well, but am waiting until 4K glasses free is reasonable. Might be a while. :p

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't see it being any more than £400 at the top end. In fact I'm hoping to be able to get it with a game and maybe another controller for that money. I'll get it either way of course!

I'd love a TV as well, but am waiting until 4K glasses free is reasonable. Might be a while. :p
I got my TV Pre-PS3, I need a new one lol, don't even support 1080p lol
yeah I'm thinking £400 but £500 just in case theres a lot of extras.

I am not so sure if Sony needs a real seperate event. Why not just unveil your console in a 2 hour show at E3 and show the gems you want and let the other games be presented by EA, Ubisoft, etc.

I fear that any pre-E3 event will be like "Hey this is the PS4 which will look totally different when it comes out. We don't show you games here that is for E3. Oh launch and price we will discuss that in the upcoming months. Hardware specifications? Well just wait and see for yourself. Thanks everybody."

Mario007

I am not so sure if Sony needs a real seperate event. Why not just unveil your console in a 2 hour show at E3 and show the gems you want and let the other games be presented by EA, Ubisoft, etc.

I fear that any pre-E3 event will be like "Hey this is the PS4 which will look totally different when it comes out. We don't show you games here that is for E3. Oh launch and price we will discuss that in the upcoming months. Hardware specifications? Well just wait and see for yourself. Thanks everybody."
Because they'll still want to focus a bit on the rest of the ps3 games coming out,more wonderbook and Vita? You can't have the whole conference just be about Ps4.

They'll probably do what they did with Vita- Playstation Meeting wows everyone and then we'll get specifics come E3.

;

DBT85

Doing the initial unveil at your own event means you have nobody to compete with for inches on websites for that day. If you first show it at E3 with everyone else doing their thing you have to compete.

Every website can have 3 or 4 articles about the item, talks with developers, talks with Yoshida or House, etc etc. If you wait for E3 to do all that then the press have got to pick and choose what they can cover all day, and might miss some stuff entirely.

Doing it one your own time means every blog, every website and even normal news will be talking about it, and nobody else.

Yes I don't think the price is such a big factor. But the Vita has obviously not enough interesting games to get the gamers.

If Nintendo had brought games like Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Zelda, Resident Evil etc. earlier the 3DS sales had been better from start and the price cut had been not necessary. But today the 3DS XL almost has the price of the 3DS at launch.

Joe White

PS3 BC is one of the possible deal breakers for me (others are games, price <500€, controller etc). I've already reserved PS4 for day-1 purchase, but if it doesn't support my PS3 games and downloads then I won't be buying one before it reaches next acceptable price point (<300€).

Top Bottom