• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony : Vice President for Japan hints at possible PS4 announcement in May/June

quest

Not Banned from OT
Do you not remember the Xbox 360 announcement on MTV??

E3 is much bigger since that. After the Wii hit every E3 has had all main stream media covering it. The MTV event was a forced thing to get attention. That no longer is the case a 2 hour prime time slot for free with the whole world watching and covering it. If they were to do a MTV type of show make much more sense to do it a month before launch to as a last sales pitch and launch into the major ad campaign.

kliklik

Banned
If Microsoft are announcing something at E3, Sony might well make a pre-emptive strike in May.

Hype.

Has MS made any indication that they'd announce at E3? Seems unlikely to me. Didn't they previously reveal the 360 on MTV ahead of E3? And wasn't E3 more of a big deal back then? Seems like they'll both announce before E3.

EDIT: not an original thought it seems!

No way they repeat a "$599!", no matter what it comes with.

With a badass VR helmet they might. The marketing is fucking simple too. Broadcast a few eciting, badass gameplay trailers with incredible graphics for a month or two without showing the console or listing the price. Generate excitement. Let the press run wild with the VR headset on NBC and Jimmy Fallon. Word of mouth starts spreading like, "What is this VR thing Sony is doing, what is this mysterious console, the games look amazing, VR sounds incredible, what the hell does the console look like!!!" Start broadcasting console advertisements a month and a half before launch with the $399 price point. People want the PS4, want the VR headset, think the games look fucking awesome, and line up for the console at launch. Watch both SKUs fly off the shelves. Dads who grew up dreaming of VR would buy themselves the VR SKU and buy there kids the regular one. Not long after would the kids complain about not owning a VR helmet so the dad goes out to buy another one half a year later for $199. Introduce a VR helmet price drop in November of holiday season two to $149. Drop the pro SKU price to $349. Sell it for a small loss that breaks-even from the cheaper SKU that doesn't include the VR helmet making equal profit to the loss. Boom.

vilmer_

I'd love another $599 console, get all the cutting edge new tech in there and nice materials. Also keeps douche bags off for awhile. The PS3s first couple of years were really pleasant in terms of multiplayer community.

It certainly was. As for the PS4, day one.

Can we get a Sony Hype Train to match the Nintendo one?

swdGP.jpg

orioto

Good Art™
Announce it like this Sony, please:

SKU 1) $399 comes with a controller and headset for online multiplayer.

SKU 2) $599 comes with a controller, VR helmet like Oculus Rift but better, and Sony first-party exclusive built with the VR helmet in mind.

I would line up at midnight with the money I earned working 4 jobs for SKU 2.

Something like that i would like!

Wynnebeck

Banned
Sony should think about dropping the price of the ps3 to 199 like right now. If they wait to long that magic number wont has a big effect as it normally would because the focus would be on the ps4. At the very least bring that EU 16gb version to the US at 199.

I would think the price of the Vita needs to be addressed before the price of the PS3. The PS3 is fine for now but November's sales shown that if you drop the price, there is some response on sales of the Vita.

SKU 2) $599 comes with a controller, VR helmet like Oculus Rift but better, and Sony first-party exclusive built with the VR helmet in mind.

Lol good luck having a VR Helmet bundle. No way in hell for $599.

Carl

E3 is much bigger since that. After the Wii hit every E3 has had all main stream media covering it. The MTV event was a forced thing to get attention. That no longer is the case a 2 hour prime time slot for free with the whole world watching and covering it. If they were to do a MTV type of show make much more sense to do it a month before launch to as a last sales pitch and launch into the major ad campaign.

Nah they'll get mainsteam press whenever they reveal it. Playstation is still a huge name. It doesn't have to be revealed at E3 to get everyone talking.

I'd love another $599 console, get all the cutting edge new tech in there and nice materials. Also keeps douche bags off for awhile. The PS3s first couple of years were really pleasant in terms of multiplayer community.
...America MGO proves this wrong. Worst community on the PS3 but I still loved them.

Iacobellis

If they pack in a microphone, then it will be good. I remember playing Resistance: FoM in 2007 and it was nothing but politely mannered adults, in the rare case one with a headset.

Tagg9

If they're waiting for May, then I'll say it will be like a week or so after The Last of Us launches, since it's kind of their last large sales potential core game for this generation.

Sounds reasonable. Though I don't think that revealing the PS4 before TLoU would negatively affect its sales - you need something to play while waiting for the PS4 launch.

Mario007

Sony should think about dropping the price of the ps3 to 199 like right now. If they wait to long that magic number wont has a big effect as it normally would because the focus would be on the ps4. At the very least bring that EU 16gb version to the US at 199.
PS3s are selling just fine with a huge profit margin since the Super Slim. They'll drop the price when ps4 will be announced or at Gamescon.

yurinka

Seems that they will announce stuff both in E3 and in May. So maybe in May they make a limited first annoucement and then in E3 they make a big reveal with the rest of games, services and details.
I'd say they are waiting to release their upcoming big PS3 titles before the announcement, which would match with internal milestones of games/tech demos/services to show.
MY BODY IS READY
ARE YOU READY, GAF
Sure! I'll wait in this pose:

image.php

Both my body, my wallet and my back are ready for a $599 rape.
Can't wait to play all the 1st party goodness that they'd have ready for early 2014. :)

If a VR helmet is not standard for every console then it's not worth doing. I don't think VR is worth the cost anyway, I just hope they keep it to the standard controller.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Nah they'll get mainsteam press whenever they reveal it. Playstation is still a huge name. It doesn't have to be revealed at E3 to get everyone talking.

It really does no one outside apple gets any sort of attention of special events. How much attention did the VITA event get in the main stream press and TV coverage? Spike TV would be more than happy to help co advertise the world premier showing of either console on a major cable network in prime time.

Why not? The $200 difference in price is large enough to seduce two entirely different target markets.

1. Oculus Rift costs $300.
2. Sony has a 3D Helmet that costs $800+.

No way is Sony bundling a helmet rather than beefing the hardware. There will be two SKUs, one being basic and other with beefed up HDD (and possibly PS+ subscription).

Ain't no way Sony going to take a loss on a hardware anymore due to silly VR Helmets. They'll just have a deal and make Oculus Rift compatible or something.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Won't be the case. For what it is, Sony has learned their mistakes from the PS3 launch and I'm pretty sure the PS4 will be priced competitively.

Vita and its proprietary memory say otherwise.

kliklik

Banned

E3 attendance was under 46,000 last year. In 2005, it was 70,000. Both were aired on TV/viewable by those not attending. It just... doesn't seem as influential now.

533951_o.gif

Holy hell, it looks like Sony are really serious about getting the system out this year. Let's just hope they get it right this time, with a reasonable launch price, some killer-apps for the initial roster of games and a technological leap worthy of the 'next-gen' label. I didn't get a PS3 until late '09, but once I did they really won me over this gen and I want to maintain that good will.

sublimit

Banned
I really hope they don't rush it and end up with something like the RROD. If something like that were to happen i think it would cost Sony much more than it costed to MS.

GQman2121

Banned
The only thing that really interest me about any of this are the specs for both machines. Since they're launching in the same window, besides first party games, something is going to have to separate the two.

If a VR helmet is not standard for every console then it's not worth doing. I don't think VR is worth the cost anyway, I just hope they keep it to the standard controller.

Watch Oculus Rift impressions. A VR helmet doesn't need to be included with every system because you can still have a similar experience without it. However, the hype around a VR helmet would eventually grow so great that everyone would need to have one. Such a product speaks for itself. The word of mouth would be insane, especially since it originally starts out as a semi-exclusive addition. After a few price drops you can bundle the VR headset with every system, this should only take two years.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Watch Oculus Rift impressions. A VR helmet doesn't need to be included with every system because you can still have a similar experience without it. However, the hype around a VR helmet would eventually grow so great that everyone would need to have one. Such a product speaks for itself. The word of mouth would be insane, especially since it originally starts out as a semi-exclusive addition. After a few price drops you can bundle the VR headset with every system, this should only take two years.

I'd just like to point out that I specifically remember seeing this exact argument when I spoke out about how 3D was an unnecessary addition to gaming/television, and we all know how well that turned out.

kliklik

Banned
The only thing that really interest me about any of this are the specs for both machines. Since they're launching in the same window, besides first party games, something is going to have to separate the two.

Ya - the services and stuff it does besides games most likely.

Top Bottom