• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony : Vice President for Japan hints at possible PS4 announcement in May/June

i-Lo

Perhaps they're trolling us. Maybe it'll be all about PS3 and PSV price drop only.

In any event my wallet is not ready.

Pachimari

I really hope the controller don't have a touchscreen or anything like it, as my HMZ-T1 were also a future investment and thus I hope to be able to use it with PlayStation 4.

They should really target Europe early if they can.

I'd argue that if there are any substantial shortages, that Sony should prioritize the US market FIRST.

Europe is pretty much in the bag for Sony regardless of when they launch, and in Japan Sony is guaranteed to do much better than 720.

It doesn't make sense to launch in those markets when Sony's biggest battle next-gen will be in North America and trying to take back marketshare.

If Sony launches in the US market at roughly the same cost, power, third party support, and exclusives that are perceived as being of much higher quality than Microsoft's would do some significant damage to MS marketshare, IMHO.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
My money is Ready!

3zqXF.jpg

Bring on Next Gen Platinums!

v7OPj.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
The thought of a new Playstation gets me super excited.

This E3 is going to amazing. Or a trainwreck of epic proportions, haha.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Day one for $399 or less. Anything higher and I'll do like I did with the PS3 and wait a few years. Need to see a little bit more from Microsoft before I commit to the 720.

RPGamer92

Banned
The one big improvement PS4 needs imo is to download digital content faster. It always takes forever on my PS3 and Vita while on my 360, it's much quicker.

Definitely PS1 and PS2 BC at least through PS Store, I would expect PS3 BC as well seeing how much of an emphasis they are putting on getting them on the PS Store.

no way....especially not with PS3. The system architecture will be a radical departure compared to anything in PS3. And Sony would have to give nvidia $$ to get a decent BC solution

quest

Not Banned from OT
The thought of a new Playstation gets me super excited.

This E3 is going to amazing. Or a trainwreck of epic proportions, haha.

I think it will be both. There will be some amazing game play videos from first/second party. There will be a few cool third party games and a few tech demos. Then they will show off the media center stuff and GAF will go insane with lots of hatred.

DieH@rd

Banned
I live in Europe... but not in EU. That probably means that at first few months after launch price of PS4 will have additional 100-200€ tag on it. :(

But, when the price comes down, I will at least know if the hardware is reliable and prone to malfunction. Cant wait to get my hands on PS4 and GT6.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'd argue that if there are any substantial shortages, that Sony should prioritize the US market FIRST.

Europe is pretty much in the bag for Sony regardless of when they launch, and in Japan Sony is guaranteed to do much better than 720.

It doesn't make sense to launch in those markets when Sony's biggest battle next-gen will be in North America and trying to take back marketshare.

If Sony launches in the US market at roughly the same cost, power, third party support, and exclusives that are perceived as being of much higher quality than Microsoft's would do some significant damage to MS marketshare, IMHO.

I don't agree that it is in the bag for Sony. They need to secure the European market. It is, in my opinion, the argument where Microsoft's "media!!!!!!!!!!" strategy is weakest and where Sony can't afford to cede any ground.

Mario007

no way....especially not with PS3. The system architecture will be a radical departure compared to anything in PS3. And Sony would have to give nvidia $$ to get a decent BC solution
PS1 and PS2 will be done through sheer power of the machine. There is also talk of media streaming chips on the motherboard which seem to resemble a Cell-like performance, so we'll have to wait for that.

I certainly cannot see why sony would make the huge digital push this late in the gen if they didn't have something planed and
Gaikai will probably give us the answer to backwards compatibility.
Yeah it won't be Gaikai. The internet speeds, bandwith and caps would make this into a solution limited to a very few people.

Kosma

Banned
I don't agree that it is in the bag for Sony. They need to secure the European market. It is, in my opinion, the argument where Microsoft's "media!!!!!!!!!!" strategy is weakest and where Sony can't afford to cede any ground.

Yep.

The media strategy won't work in Europe cause they won't be able to bring the content due to copyrights.

Just looking at my Irish Netflix account shows that Europe is not ready yet for this. And UK/Ireland are the only countries that have it (1 millions subs so far).

Unless MS can circumvent the problems with streaming media in all of Europe their approach won't work outside of UK/Ireland.

As you say, Sony can't afford to lose any more ground in Europe after the UK.

Launching worldwide day 1 should be a much easier task than with PS3, since it seems they won't have to manufacture any exotic, small yield components. And launching in Europe this year would really do wonders for the platform, especially if PD manages to pump out a decent GT.

Hindle

Banned
Europe isnt guaranteed for Sony next gen, if MS spend the money they will gain a lot of ground there IMO.

Scandinavia and Eastern Europe will be huge next gen as well.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
You think they will set up some reward system for the trophies you get on ps3 when switching to Ps4?

They had the PSN Rewards program, but that went to shit due to SCEA being SCEA

Was a cool extra meta-feature that could've been huge for Sony

3 levels of avatar goodness

Select > Pro > Legendary

Was in it's infancy, but short-lived

Sony loves to half-ass everything

Got a T-Shirt out of it lol... Woo!?

Europe isnt guaranteed for Sony next gen, if MS spend the money they will gain a lot of ground there IMO.

Scandinavia and Eastern Europe will be huge next gen as well.

What is going to be different with Scandinavia and EE next gen? Scandinavia isn't a huge market and EE, despite the increase in living standard compared to 10 years ago, is still PC heavy.

I hate this thread, no, in fact, I hate all next-gen Sony hype threads. I should have stayed in the OT to keep my imagination from getting the best of me. Now I have no choice but to champion VR for the next Ps4 =(. It's too late to turn back and I feel like all this speculation needs a fresh perspective. I will admit that there is a 99% chance I'm wrong. However, that 1% chance is what I believe the future of gaming, and whichever company defines their console with it first will secure guaranteed victory. As a gamer I would be ecstatic for that type of tech.

Kosma

Banned
What is going to be different with Scandinavia and EE next gen? Scandinavia isn't a huge market and EE, despite the increase in living standard compared to 10 years ago, is still PC heavy.

As you say EE has had a huge increase in living standards since joining the EU.

It's PC heavy but its changing very fast.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah it won't be Gaikai. The internet speeds, bandwith and caps would make this into a solution limited to a very few people.

Not that few. But it'll be the only way to play any PS3 stuff on your PS4...and probably not the whole catalog. If you can't use it you won't have PS3 'BC'.

PS1 and PS2 compatibility should be local.

They're probably rushing to reveal first... and will launch at or around the same time.

Sony will use spoiler tactics first, reveal last and launch last.

While they have the most to gain from launching first, they also have the most to lose.

The end of a console's lifespan is really where the platform holder makes a good return. The manufacturing process has been iterated to perfection with huge cost savings compared to launch hardware.

With the perilous cash situation that Sony finds itself in currently, there is no way they will write off the profitable end of the PS3 life cycle by prematurely revealing and launching the PS4.

They are far more likely to reveal a decent sized price cut for the PS3 to finally bring it into impulse buy territory for the mass market consumers so they can make bank in the PS3's twilight years.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Agree. Microsoft has made big strides in bringing perception that 360 is the console of choice for America. Sony needs to get foothold established in Europe and Japan ASAP and then worry about America.

Baki

Sony will use spoiler tactics first, reveal last and launch last.

While they have the most to gain from launching first, they also have the most to lose.

The end of a console's lifespan is really where the platform holder makes a good return. The manufacturing process has been iterated to perfection with huge cost savings compared to launch hardware.

With the perilous cash situation that Sony finds itself in currently, there is no way they will write off the profitable end of the PS3 life cycle by prematurely revealing and launching the PS4.

They are far more likely to reveal a decent sized price cut for the PS3 to finally bring it into impulse buy territory for the mass market consumers so they can make bank in the PS3's twilight years.

7 years isn't premature and launching late will effect future long term prospects. It would be incredibly short sighted to delay the launch because of this

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It just reminds me of the mistakes MS made when they rushed to beat Sony to launch. It never turns out well basically.

By the rumours so far, if anyone is rushing I don't think it's Sony.

That said I don't think MS is either.

I don't think Sony will beat MS to market. They might come to market around the same time, in different territories IMO.

But even if Sony did beat MS to market, it doesn't follow they were rushing. This generation has been lonnnng. They already, reportedly, started and shelved alternative plans for a next-gen launch. This has been a long time coming. I think both Sony and MS were targeting this timeframe in a concrete way since 2010/2011.

Im thinking Sony may rush to beat MS to launch. Bad move IMO.

I still dont know why everyone is so sure MS will get the 720 out first.....Maybe Sony has been better at keeping secrets....Either way, nothing is definitive yet.....Sony just might be further along in their next gen development than everyone thinks.....Just because a few unnamed sources say MS is going to get their system out first doesnt mean they are right......they are unnamed sources and may not even even be real/true....

Cant wait to see what happens........

I want Sony to do something that ISN'T them forfeiting the North American market to Microsoft.

Releasing a system at technical parity at a release date on par with or shortly after the next Xbox arrives at a price point that Microsoft can easily beat and at a disadvantage in terms of both market share momentum and financial stability is doing just that.

Forfeiting the market.

You guys are deluding yourselves if you think they're doing anything but.

This industry needs healthy competition in order to thrive.

So (on the assumption that Microsoft intends to, and does, bring X720 out for Q4) Sony should let them have Q4 all to themselves?

Why, that'd just be so gosh-darn nice of them!
No, Sony, don't do this.

Sony doesn't have any exclusives in the US that are perceived that way. Or do you mean potential new ones? Personally I think they should release in the UK first, since that's the one place where Sony and Microsoft actually are fighting.

7 years isn't premature and launching late will effect future long term prospects. It would be incredibly short sighted to delay the launch because of this

At this point in the life-cycle for the PS2 it would be €100.

The PS3 is a long way off that, it's one of the many reasons why Nintendo ate Sony's lunch this generation.

Announcing and launching the PS4 prematurely leaves a huge amount of mass market money on the table. Potentially it could be tens of millions of units of hardware and software that will not be bought if the PS3 price sticks anywhere near where it is at the moment.

Even Sony would not be so foolish to write off those potential returns solely for the tiny early adaptor market of the PS4 and the bragging rights of launching first.

Top Bottom