• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony : Vice President for Japan hints at possible PS4 announcement in May/June

Foil

What about backwards compatibility with PS3
-PS2-PS1
games?

You'd figure PS1/PS2 games via emulation should be there at the very least.

PS3 games I really doubt, which is a big letdown. I'm sure Sony will try and shove Gaikai down our throats. Paying a monthly fee to eat up my limited bandwidth while streaming games at a questionable quality isn't BC, imo. Then again, it's not like my PS3 is going anywhere.

The fact that PS3/PSN games will likely not be supported is exactly why I stopped buying stuff on PSN ages ago.

All this BC talk reminds me of before Vita's announcement. "It'll either be a really powerful, radical redesign with no BC, or they'll use slightly upgraded PSP hardware for BC and it won't be that big of an upgrade."

In the end we got both.

I just can't imagine this system *not* having BC. That had to have been one of the biggest priorities, especially with DD systems and online platforms generally viewed as hardware agnostic these days. Not having proper BC seems like it'd be one hell of disadvantage.

Baki

At this point in the life-cycle for the PS2 it would be €100.

The PS3 is a long way off that, it's one of the many reasons why Nintendo ate Sony's lunch this generation.

Announcing and launching the PS4 prematurely leaves a huge amount of mass market money on the table. Potentially it could be tens of millions of units of hardware and software that will not be bought if the PS3 price sticks anywhere near where it is at the moment.

Even Sony would not be so foolish to write off those potential returns solely for the tiny early adaptor market of the PS4 and the bragging rights of launching first.

The PS2 sold over 53M units after the PS3 was announced. No, announcing and releasing the PS4 won't have any effect on the PS3 mass market sales. The people who are waiting for £99/$129 consoles are not the type to be deterred by a new console being released. Simply because these people have and will always buy consoles within that price range.

I don't agree that it is in the bag for Sony. They need to secure the European market. It is, in my opinion, the argument where Microsoft's "media!!!!!!!!!!" strategy is weakest and where Sony can't afford to cede any ground.

It may not be "in the bag", but it's by far their most secure territory. Launching 6 months later in that region won't significantly impact them, long term.

A six month delay in the US, however, could seriously hurt Sony's ability to regain ground in that territory. If PS3 launches Spring 2014 in the US and the 720 releases Fall 2013, the hardcore gamers in the US will pick up a 720 and that momentum will carry over to all of their friends. Even if PS4 ends up as a more appealing system for them, the momentum and viral effect of 720 on the market for those 6 months could carry them throughout the generation.

Sony has to convince US gamers to come back on their side, and I don't think they will be able to do that if they launch later.

Kosma

Banned
It may not be "in the bag", but it's by far their most secure territory. Launching 6 months later in that region won't significantly impact them, long term.

A six month delay in the US, however, could seriously hurt Sony's ability to regain ground in that territory. If PS3 launches Spring 2014 in the US and the 720 releases Fall 2013, the hardcore gamers in the US will pick up a 720 and that momentum will carry over to all of their friends. Even if PS4 ends up as a more appealing system for them, the momentum and viral effect of 720 on the market for those 6 months could carry them throughout the generation.

In war you strike where the enemy is weakest not strongest.

Baki

All this BC talk reminds me of before Vita's announcement. "It'll either be a really powerful, radical redesign with no BC, or they'll use slightly upgraded PSP hardware for BC and it won't be that big of an upgrade."

In the end we got both.

I just can't imagine this system *not* having BC. That had to have been one of the biggest priorities, especially with DD systems and online platforms generally viewed as hardware agnostic these days. Not having proper BC seems like it'd be one hell of disadvantage.

hahaha! I remember that! We'll have to wait and see, I think PSN games will *atleast* have BC.

no way....especially not with PS3. The system architecture will be a radical departure compared to anything in PS3. And Sony would have to give nvidia $$ to get a decent BC solution
BC doesn't have to be 100%. The biggest issue with emulation would be the SPUs, and there should be plenty of PSN games and early retail titles that don't use them much. Restrict BC to digital copies, and they can roll them out on the PS4 PSN store as they are tested and approved, much like they do with PS2 Classics on PS3.

quest

Not Banned from OT

They would not launch outside of the fall in the US. Any console launched in the spring is being sent to die in the us. If it does not come this fall it is a full year delay. In other parts of the world you can get away with launches outside of the fall.

BC doesn't have to be 100%. The biggest issue with emulation would be the SPUs, and there should be plenty of PSN games and early retail titles that don't use them much. Restrict BC to digital copies, and they can roll them out on the PS4 PSN store as they are tested and approved, much like they do with PS2 Classics on PS3.

The only "BC" you will get is via HD "remakes" and collections.

What about pricing?

I'm starting to expect $499, with maybe a $399 low end model.

Between smartphones changing people's price perceptions for convergence devices, inflation, and the likely expectation that these consoles will have 10+ year life cycles (with regular refreshes), I could easily see them starting at $499 and expecting to hit <$199 pricing many years later.

Withnail

Gaikai is not a solution to PS3 BC. Not sure where this idea even comes from. Unless people are really expecting Sony to start building a global network of datacentres stuffed with thousands of PS3s.

Agent X

As far as the possibility of backward compatibility goes:

PS1: Almost 100% certain it will be there, since PS2 and PS3 have it. This will be emulated in software, just like the PS3 has always done it.

PS2: About 95% chance of this happening. If we get PS2, it will be emulated in software. They're already selling PS2 classics that are modified to run on all PS3 machines (not just the early models. If the PS4 has good PS2 emulation, then they can quickly amass a PS2 classic library without having to go through a long modification process.

PS3: It doesn't look very likely that we'll get traditional backward compatibility, especially if they aren't including at least some portion of the PS3 chipset. One possibility is that they could use Gaikai for online streaming of PS3 games, as other people have mentioned. Another possibility, though, is that the system includes some sort of interface that allows an expansion module to be connected. The module would contain the parts of the PS3 chipset that cannot be easily emulated. By doing this, they can sell the basic PS4 system at a low price, then for an additional fee (for example, $100) allow people to add hardware-level PS3 compatibility to the system.

To sum it up: Both PS1 & PS2 would be emulated through software, while PS3 would be provided either through Gaikai or an optional expansion module.

quest

Not Banned from OT
What about pricing?

I'm starting to expect $499, with maybe a $399 low end model.

Between smartphones changing people's price perceptions for convergence devices, inflation, and the likely expectation that these consoles will have 10+ year life cycles (with regular refreshes), I could easily see them starting at $499 and expecting to hit <$199 pricing many years later.

You are going to see a 399.99/499.99 type pricing from both. These are not tablets and cellphones they can't get away with low sku of 499.99 and most phones in the us are bought under contract for 199.99 or less.

MrHicks

Banned
ron-paul.gif

Also, Sony and MS should try and do damage in Brazil. It's becoming this huge economy, and has almost 200 million people.

It's a no brainer.

Fox Mulder

I am not ready for the inevitable disappointment of next gen on consoles, despite preparing myself for a few years now.

It's been so long that anything will get hyped and instantly be called a bomb as people whine about no games and retail sales for a year.

I jumped on the wiiu with blind impulse, but didn't get a 360 until Gears came out.

Sony doesn't have any exclusives in the US that are perceived that way. Or do you mean potential new ones? Personally I think they should release in the UK first, since that's the one place where Sony and Microsoft actually are fighting.

I mean new IPs or existing franchises that could possibly sway core gamers that went with the 360 last time around.

We'll see what Microsoft has at launch, but given all they're releasing this past year it doesn't seem likely that it's Halo or Gears. Forza is a likely candidate, but it's not a big title. I hope I'm wrong, but I see Microsoft as having a rather poor launch lineup in terms of exclusives. They'll have a lot of third party content like a beefed up CoD port for next-gen that should be able to garner excitement for the system in the absence of a PS4 launch.

So, if PS4/720 release at the same time and 720 has the same third party content and lackluster exclusives, but Sony has some big new IPs or revamps an existing franchise that would appeal to the 360 audience (like Killzone), they have a shot at swaying the core US gamer back into their stable.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gaikai is not a solution to PS3 BC. Not sure where this idea even comes from. Unless people are really expecting Sony to start building a global network of datacentres stuffed with thousands of PS3s.

To run any cloud streaming service they'll need a global data center network with their own hardware and access - i.e. rented datacenter space that accommodates their own hardware and administration. Gaikai was already setting that up, were already administering space across a variety of locations.

Being contrary I actually started to wonder how many user sessions a rack of (modified) PS3s could accomodate vs a rack of regular PC hardware for other Gaikai sessions...whether they'd be comparable cost-wise.

A PS3 solution on Gaikai would probably be a hybrid, if it exists. In order to deliver PS3 games like this they'd have to license them under new terms. So as a part of that relicensing they could get access to the PC version of third party PS3 games and run them off their regular hardware. Then for exclusives they could use a more modest array of PS3-ified racks across their network, I guess. Some people have suggested porting but that could be messy and timeconsuming for some games.

Going by historical patterns, I would have expected an announcement no later than April for any console launching this year.

But it's certainly possible that the timeframes have shortened, or that PS4 is a 2014 launch.

I mean new IPs or existing franchises that could possibly sway core gamers that went with the 360 last time around.

We'll see what Microsoft has at launch, but given all they're releasing this past year it doesn't seem likely that it's Halo or Gears. Forza is a likely candidate, but it's not a big title. I hope I'm wrong, but I see Microsoft as having a rather poor launch lineup in terms of exclusives. They'll have a lot of third party content like a beefed up CoD port for next-gen that should be able to garner excitement for the system in the absence of a PS4 launch.

So, if PS4/720 release at the same time and 720 has the same third party content and lackluster exclusives, but Sony has some big new IPs or revamps an existing franchise that would appeal to the 360 audience (like Killzone), they have a shot at swaying the core US gamer back into their stable.

Both consoles will have a poor launch lineup in terms of exclusives. Every console has. It's always the same.

The biggest games of the launch lineup will be COD and Battlefield, there's no magic bullet from either Sony or MS to counter those. So the focus will be on the features these consoles bring to the game, how better looking do Fifa and COD and Battlefield are on them. Mainly it will be about the hype they can build for it.

2014 will be different though. Exclusives will start being important next year.

P.s
Killzone isn't bigger than Forza

AOC83

Banned
Both consoles will have a poor launch lineup in terms of exclusives. Every console has. It's always the same.

Not really, both the Box and the 360 had a pretty awesome lineup and i´m expecting both the 720 and the PS4 are going to follow this direction. A shitty launch lineup can cause serious trouble as we could see with the PS3, 3DS, WiiU and Vita.

With the PS3 launch I cared about BC, but nowadays I just want to move on and get the newest disposable experience.

The only console franchise I have continued to collect is Metal Gear Solid.

May? So they're sticking with making their big announcements before E3 I guess?

I'm guessing that they need to do a proper reveal first, and then E3 will be about the games and future plans.

Not really, both the Box and the 360 had a pretty awesome lineup and i´m expecting both the 720 and the PS4 are going to follow this direction. A shitty launch lineup can cause serious trouble as we could see with the PS3, 3DS, WiiU and Vita.

I don't know what the box is, but consider that I'm talking about exclusives. PGr3 is the only launch lineup 1st party that got a sequel.

PS3 had Resistance in the same situation.

Neither those franchises became relevant during this gen. Even though Resistance got a whole trilogy behind it and a spin off.

edit: In terms of launch lineups though, it will be awesome. MGS5, believe

Derrick01

Banned
It's been so long that anything will get hyped and instantly be called a bomb as people whine about no games and retail sales for a year.

I jumped on the wiiu with blind impulse, but didn't get a 360 until Gears came out.

I'm ready for no games for at least half a year, that's usually par for the course for Sony consoles (Vita was pretty good in that regard though). I'm worried because I don't see a change in design philosophy happening as we get closer to next gen. I'm excited for all the new power the consoles will bring but if devs waste them on more linear shooters than what was the point? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Kosma

Banned
With the PS3 launch I cared about BC, but nowadays I just want to move on and get the newest disposable experience.

Yeah BC is something I don't have time for anyway.

If its there that's cool, but Im not losing sleep.

I'm ready for no games for at least half a year, that's usually par for the course for Sony consoles (Vita was pretty good in that regard though). I'm worried because I don't see a change in design philosophy happening as we get closer to next gen. I'm excited for all the new power the consoles will bring but if devs waste them on more linear shooters than what was the point? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Really new experiences usually don't emerge until the gen is underway.

Just look how much the landscape changed in the last 15 years.

I think he means technically, with the whole RROD debacle. Rushed hardware means more faulty hardware probably.

Yeah from a hardware standpoint, it was bad, but then again Sony's YLOD disaster occurred and supposedly wasn't rushed. I hope we can avoid hardware issues on both of the next gen consoles, but I'm sure something will come up on at least one.

The system will be great

The games will be great

The marketing...will get eaten alive by Microsoft.

Watch the insane amounts of coverage MS will gather in the lead up to the announcements. It wont even be close, particularly in the US.

quest

Not Banned from OT

The beauty of the PS3 for me is it is such a good media center and bluray player I can move it to the guest bedroom plasma tv and play any old games I want.

AOC83

Banned
I'm guessing that they need to do a proper reveal first, and then E3 will be about the games and future plans.

I don't know what the box is, but consider that I'm talking about exclusives. PGr3 is the only launch lineup 1st party that got a sequel.

PS3 had Resistance in the same situation.

Neither those franchises became relevant during this gen. Even though Resistance got a whole trilogy behind it and a spin off.

edit: In terms of launch lineups though, it will be awesome. MGS5, believe

XBox.

What does it matter if a game gets a sequel? Was Kameo bad because it din´t sell gangbusters? The 360 had Kameo, PGR 3, PDZ, Amped. Condemned (which was timed exclusive) and loads of high quality multiplatform stuff.

What about MGS5 mang? :(

Cross gen most likely. But come E3, it will start being shown on next gen platforms no doubt.

XBox.

What does it matter if a game gets a sequel? Was Kameo bad because it din´t sell gangbusters? The 360 had Kameo, PGR 3, PDZ, Amped. Condemned (which was timed exclusive) and loads of high quality multiplatform stuff.

But that's the thing, Kameo wasn't a great exclusive, PDZ was a terrible game, and Amped was a non factor.

PGR3 was relevant. Can't speak for Condemned, can't quite remember if it had any pull back then.

KAL2006

Banned

The biggest games of the launch lineup will be COD and Battlefield, there's no magic bullet from either Sony or MS to counter those. So the focus will be on the features these consoles bring to the game, how better looking do Fifa and COD and Battlefield are on them. Mainly it will be about the hype they can build for it.

2014 will be different though. Exclusives will start being important next year.

These consoles always launch with something that's exclusive. 360 launched with PGR3, Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero, 1 month later DOA4 released. PS3 launched with Resistance, Genji and Untold Legends, 2 months later MotorStorm released.

Obviously 360 had a way better start than PS3. I wonder the launch lineup and launch window exclusive games PS4 and 720 will have.

Top Bottom