• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony vs Microsoft: The First Party Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Insomniac is making a new Ratchet and Clank game for PS3 currently, FYI, the end of the current story arc.

It makes me think that after they are done with that PS3 game, they are moving on. I really do hope they hand off Ratchet and Clank (and even Jak) to new devs to continue those franchises. Sony really needs to stay strong with games meant for all ages to play. It is one advantage they have had over Microsoft in the first party area. Now that Nintendo is sputtering, Sony has a chance to give those Nintendo fans a choice and they have some older IP's that could help make that sales pitch.

Ushae

Banned
At this point they just need to release games. They only released 9 exclusives since 2010 and most of them are either shooters (both FPS/TPS) or racing games. If you want a comparison, Sony's had/going to have 36 by the end of this year not including PS4/Vita stuff.

I know they announced a bunch of stuff at E3 but that's not good enough (nevermind that I wasn't impressed by any of them). I need to see a long term commitment to gaming in multiple genres, not just areas that they think are massively profitable.

Yup. MS needs to show a seriosu long term investment in first party. That means quantity, quality and genre diversity. When the gamers can see that, things will change. People don't call out MS lazyness for no reason.

KAL2006

Banned
Updated OP, removed Killer Instinct, Project Spark from retail games list as they are smaller digital games, same with Fable Legends.

Biker19

Banned
The games in question (Uncharted 1-3) were developed by a second party developer.

Not overly complicated.

ROFL, Naughty Dog has been Sony's 1st party studio since 2001.

Yup. MS needs to show a seriosu long term investment in first party. That means quantity, quality and genre diversity. When the gamers can see that, things will change. People don't call out MS lazyness for no reason.

I agree. They got good during the early years of the Xbox 360, but ever since then, they started slipping in the exclusive category year after year to the point where it's just Halo, Gears, & Forza ever since 2010.

Sony, however, has a track record of making a lot of exclusives every generation, even during the years when the successors of PS1, PS2, & PS3 are coming out. PS4 will be no different.

KAL2006

Banned
Updated the release list

Exclusive Release schedule, only confirmed titles (note titles without release date, I guessed the release)

PS4 (bolded full retail games, not bolded F2P, digital, PSEye games)
- Launch
Killzone Shadowfall
Knack
Drive Club

Res0Gun (Free)
CounterSpy
Flower
DC Universe (Free)
Warframe (Free)
Doki Doki Universe
War Thunder (Free)
Blacklight Retribution (Free)
- 2013 Q4
Planetside 2 (Free)
Don't Starve (Free)
Outlast (Free)
Secret Ponchos (Free)
The Witness
- Q1
inFamous Second Son
- Q2
Final Fantasy XIV Online
Hohokum
Helldivers
- Q3
Rime
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
- Q4
The Order
Shadow of the Beast

Xbox One (bolded full retail games, not bolded F2P, digital, Kinect, games)
-Launch
Forza 5
Ryse
Dead Rising 4

The Fighter Within
LocoCycle
Killer Instinct (1 character only Free)
Powerstar Golf
Zoo Tycoon
-Q4 2013
Fantasia Music Evolved
Zumba Fitness
Project Spark (starter pack Free)
-Q1
Kinect Sports Rivals
-Q2
D4
Crimson Dragon
Fable Legends
TitanFall (likely time exclusive)
- Q3
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break

- Q4
Halo

KAL2006

Banned
Exclusive games (sometimes not fully exclusive, but games not on competitors system), only confirmed titles

PS4
Retail Games
Killzone Shadowfall
c7JdO6S.jpg

Knack
00QZaqn.jpg

Drive Club
ShGcRZJ.jpg

inFamous Second Son
7XRjr7o.jpg

The Order
e2rl3qn.jpg

Digital Games
Res0Gun (Free)
O8L2HXu.jpg

Don't Starve (Free)
c3xhqtY.jpg

Outlast (Free)
33W2Ys2.jpg

Secret Ponchos (Free)
ncP3xrQ.jpg

The Witness
o9yWgFZ.jpg

CounterSpy
kN4BpOl.jpg

Flower
luJ5Ock.jpg

Doki Doki Universe
reP53LR.jpg

Hohokum
i63ZezE.jpg

Helldivers
KDaD3Ug.jpg

Rime
FfK3TLy.jpg

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
3osvYXr.jpg

Shadow of the Beast
vT8PmYu.jpg

Free to Play or MMO
Warframe (Free)
kQ9LZTq.jpg

DC Universe (Free)
91iPXGm.jpg

War Thunder (Free)
5HrvGfP.jpg

Blacklight Retribution (Free)
tIBGeZq.jpg

Planetside 2 (Free)
S5f2BHp.jpg

Final Fantasy XIV Online
2kHYIHK.jpg

Motion Games
PlayRoom (free)
d91SlKe.jpg

Xbox One
Retail Games
Forza 5
9InECdv.jpg

Ryse
eQh70vP.jpg

Dead Rising 3
aLnxjvS.jpg

Fable Legends
UtU8bn3.jpg

TitanFall (likely time exclusive)
gtDOFkF.jpg

Sunset Overdrive
47FRAPL.jpg

Quantum Break
dj9eFju.jpg

Halo
OPy3dY9.jpg

Digital Games
LocoCycle
Th2GdRQ.jpg

Powerstar Golf
AJeekBr.jpg

Zoo Tycoon
Oetsiuh.jpg

Max: The Curse of the Brotherhood
mA8xa9S.jpg

D4
PEoTYWU.jpg

Crimson Dragon
cDdD9Cu.jpg

Free to Play or MMO
Killer Instinct (1 character only Free)
Mqh4AQk.jpg

Project Spark (starter pack Free)
BJqYeur.jpg

Motion Games
Kinect Sports Rivals
cyLiEuf.jpg

The Fighter Within
WgsdgBW.jpg

Fantasia Music Evolved
yds2fgU.jpg

Zumba Fitness
9suJ4rI.jpg

Note I haven't listed many Indie games for PS4 as they are likely time exclusive but still listed free indie games (Instant Game Collection) and F2P games as we still don't know if MS F2P games policy is as lenient as Sony's.

Looks a lot like Grid 2 too.

Looks like you're right. Google image look up lead me... Right back to these forums actually.

As someone who's not into racing games, I seriously have no idea how people tell the difference between Forza, Driveclub and NFS. If you told me that screenshot was from any of them I'd believe you.

Haha, I'm not a huge racing game fan either (Except Diddy Kong Racing!) but they've been showing off the same track for Forza for a while now, so that picture took me off guard.

Just wanted to point out and ask everyone, in regards to marketing cycles, generally games need an absolute minimum of 6 months from announce to release. Even at very short notice KZ, Drive Club and Knack are on a 9 month marketing cycle.

By that metric do any of you think we'll see more AAA retail titles in between February 2014 (Infamous) and Fall 2014? Because if so, they need to be announced very soon, i.e before the VGA's.

Or will we see some more 6 month marketing cycles?

Coming up we have 9/9 PS event for Japan, TGS on the 20th and VGA's early December, so all opportunities to announce games. But I HAVE to assume TGS will have more localised announcements.

Dusky

Just wanted to point out and ask everyone, in regards to marketing cycles, generally games need an absolute minimum of 6 months from announce to release. Even at very short notice KZ, Drive Club and Knack are on a 9 month marketing cycle.

By that metric do any of you think we'll see more AAA retail titles in between February 2014 (Infamous) and Fall 2014? Because if so, they need to be announced very soon, i.e before the VGA's.

Coming up we have 9/9 PS event for Japan, TGS on the 20th and VGA's early December, so all opportunities to announce games. But I HAVE to assume TGS will have more localised announcements.

I'd say it's guaranteed you'll either see ND or SSM at the VGA's, the former being the likelier one due to their history of announcements at the event.

Maybe you'll even get both announced but I strongly doubt it.

The Order: 1886 will have to show some gameplay at some point, so you never know. VGA's isn't really the type of venue to show off gameplay though.

If ND do announce something at the VGA's you can be sure it will be released in Q3 giving them a 9 month marketing cycle.

I'd say if any games are going to release before next June, they'll need to be announced at TGS. Anything announced at the VGAs is probably going to be a fall 2014 or later release.

Krakn3Dfx

Have we heard if Shadow of the Beast is going to be a full retail title or a PSN only release? Seemed like full game from what we've seen.

LOL, Nintendo fans are going to stick with Nintendo till the bitter end

This is exactly why they where dominated in software sales this gen since when ppl buy games they look at the publisher status (1st/2nd/3rd).

Bundy

Banned
Is there any source that Guerrilla Games is 2 teams now?
Actually, they have three teams.
Two in the Netherlands (LINK "....and is currently working on three new titles: Killzone: Mercenary for PlayStation Vita, Killzone: Shadow Fall for PlayStation 4, and a brand-new, as-yet unnamed IP.") and one in the UK (Guerrilla Cambridge = KILLZONE: Mercenary)

PureGone

Banned
Actually, they have three teams.
Two in the Netherlands (LINK "....and is currently working on three new titles: Killzone: Mercenary for PlayStation Vita, Killzone: Shadow Fall for PlayStation 4, and a brand-new, as-yet unnamed IP.") and one in the UK (Guerrilla Cambridge = KILLZONE: Mercenary)

Awesome, thanks

jaypah

So many games. Too many? I mean, hell I want to play damn near that whole list. Free time weeps wallet am cry :'(

ReaperXL7

Is there any source that Guerrilla Games is 2 teams now?

Herman Hulst confirmed it a few times during E3 when he mentioned the secone project that they were working on. Obviously what that is no one really knows yet, but its supposed to be an RPG if the rumors are right.

Draft

I feel like MS doesn't have 1st party studios so much as 1st party IPs they farm out to mercenary developers.

I feel like MS doesn't have 1st party studios so much as 1st party IPs they farm out to mercenary developers.

I hope you do realize that Ratchet & Clank, God of War, Resistance, Sly Cooper, inFamous, Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Twisted Metal, MotorStorm and SOCOM IPs have all been "farmed out to mercenary developers" at some point or another.

Possum

I hope you do realize that Ratchet & Clank, God of War, Resistance, Sly Cooper, inFamous, Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Twisted Metal, MotorStorm and SOCOM IPs have all been "farmed out to mercenary developers" at some point or another.

I like how a criticism of Microsoft always leads a criticism of Sony from someone else, and vice versa.

cornerman

This is exactly why they where dominated in software sales this gen since when ppl buy games they look at the publisher status (1st/2nd/3rd).

It takes time to cultivate a collection of first party studios...especially the kind most people want (AAA). Granted had MS kept some of its original studios from the start of this gen; they might have matured in scope and size by now.

KAL2006

Banned
updated OP to include Deep Down and Yakuza. I have not bothered with other games like Guilty Gear, Dynasty Warriors and Suda game as they are likely also going to come out on Xbox One.

Stealth50

Found this in a swedish newspaper. It's an interview with Ola Holmdahl, the new CEO of Tarsier studios:
He describes it as if Tarsier Studios just have come out of the game development bunker. [They're in] a period where unique products are worked out and the company is building its identity. Tarsiers is probably most well known for the critically acclaimed Playstation Vita game Little Big Planet, where the user controls his character through different tracks in a fantasy landscape.

But what will happen in the future at Tarsier, Ola Holmdahl is careful to say.
- With broad strokes, I can tell you that we are looking at doing something for the Playstation 4 that will be released this holiday season.

As game companies are growing larger, so are also the requirements for gaming companies' employees, says Ola Holmdahl.
- You could say that the industry has left the entrepreneurial start and is now in a more structured phase. Gaming companies no longer consists of three people, but rather companies with hundreds of employees.

Ola Holmdahl also think that the industry starts to be taken more seriously in Sweden. During his time at Junebud he was met by a lukewarm interest from Swedish investors and venture capitalists, he felt that the understanding of the industry's potential was significantly higher in Finland and the USA. - Sweden has long been willing to embrace modernism and invest in technical infrastructure. But it has always been difficult to get respect and attention as a person working within the arts here.
Full article: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sydsvenskan.se%2Fekonomi%2Fsokes-spelets-mening%2F

There's another thing about the studio comparisons that I wonder if we can find out more details about, which is 'size of studio/team.'

Naughty Dog, Lionhead, Sony Santa Monica, etc range around the 250-300 employees range. Sucker Punch is 80+. Media Molecule is around 50+. Same with Bend too, I heard.

Turn10 outsources a lot, but their full production is around 350-400 people. 343i has around 350 staff as well.

updated OP to include Deep Down and Yakuza. I have not bothered with other games like Guilty Gear, Dynasty Warriors and Suda game as they are likely also going to come out on Xbox One.

Yeah, for games that aren't outright confirmed to not be coming to Xbox, it's best to not add that first. We should see come TGS when the announced titles reveal their official platform line-up. ( I'd be curious to see if IDOLM@STER will still be on XBox )

Judging from microsoft's track record last gen, I won't invest in the Xbox One simply because of exclusives. Most of their high profile stuff eventually goes third party or ported to PC.

Stealth50

Great find. How old is the newspaper?

I thought Syroc said they were a ways off.

EDIT: Maybe it means next Christmas?

The article is from today. Seems a bit late to announce something for this holiday, so it's possible that it refers to that the PS4 will be released this holiday season and not the game itself. It's not any more clear in Swedish than it's in the translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom