• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony vs Microsoft: The First Party Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deep Down is capcom's try at remodeling Dragon's Dogma to be more like Skyrim.

Having played Dragon's Dogma dark arisen, the small clip they've shown at the PS4 unveil is more like Dragon's dogma than dark souls.

Has that been stated anywhere though? Demon Souls is SCE IP. Maybe they contracted Capcom to make a sequel. Highly unlikely I know, but Deep Down definitely doesnt sound like a title they will stick with. Mind you they did go with Dragon's Dogma. So maybe it is.

Whoa what, Demon Souls 2 or a spiritual successor headed to PS4?

Fuck if there is one exclusive that could get app the hardcore gamers on PS4, it's that.

KAL2006

Banned
Why does the OP list two Rare teams? While they hired lots of new employees, they were only to replace veterans. Since the release of KS1, they only have one team and I doubt that has changed.

Are you sure this is true, so you are telling me RARE only has one team which are making Kinect Sports Rivals.

Also I updated OP with Ovosonico for Sony, and UndeadLabs for MS.

On the Western front, both ND and SSM are pretty much the big two.

- ND have pretty much proven their worth in a huge way. So, SCE will cater to their needs. Also, Uncharted isn't going away, as if it wasn't obvious already. It'll be back. But, they will inevitably return with something else too. Whatever they do, their games are quality, so they're a showcase developer for SCE.

- SSM is SSM. God of War is the biggest action franchise there is, and massive IP for SCE. Now, they also have a new IP in the works to create something different and build another franchise. Considering the level of quality with God of War, this could be pretty amazing.

- GG has talent and whilst Killzone has been successful, it didn't quite explode like Uncharted or God of War. Now, they have the opportunity with their new IP to have a bit of a fresh start and build themselves into a top tier SCE developer. I'm curious to see if they can deliver, but I feel a genre change will do them good. They're big enough to do both FPS and something else.

- Sucker Punch has a lot of expectation on them. Personally, I think they will rise to the occasion this coming generation. Infamous is the most impressive PS4 title I've seen, and they have a very good opportunity with the early showcase to really make an impact. If they do manage to wow with Infamous, then that's just a big bonus because it'll help them with their next project in the future too. They need to knock this out of the park because Infamous can sell a lot this time. I have a good feeling about them though.

- Media Molecule's LBP has basically printed a lot of money for SCE. It's a unique title. So, their new project should hopefully be an interesting experiment at the least.

The other studios also have various things in the works, but the above five, are the ones who got the most attention in the West with their franchises. Some others will show up, and get their opportunity to shine, but I imagine, with ND and SSM dominating at the top, SP, MM and GG stand a good chance of joining them depending on how these next few years go.

On the Japan side:.

- PD print money. They are the Emperor of SCE developers. Expect PS4 GT between the latter half of next year and March 2015. They'll show up earlier this time.

- 'Unannounced JRPG 1' (one I've mentioned before) will end up appearing. And I'm sure this has a good chance to melt the hardcore. It should be successful, at least, on the level of Infamous or Killzone maybe.

- The Last Guardian will finally show up. So, people will finally get this title out of the way. I don't know what will happen with Team Ueda beyond this project, but they have talent, so I imagine they'll be integrated into SCEJ's other teams, or they might modify the team and give a new leader so they can continue with other projects. I really don't know though. It will be interesting.

- 'Unannounced JRPG 2' will be SCE's second attempt at a big game emulating FF. If this comes to fruition, and is successful, then there is a franchise opportunity which can be exploited. Probably the most experimental project as if it bombs, then they'll never touch anything like it again. I don't think it will though. With the advent of FF15, KH3, and the announcement of FF16 sometime between 2014-2015, Japan gamers will be ready for this. The big question mark is whether they can translate some of that success to the West which will obviously be an aim.

I think, right now, is the most exciting time at SCE WWS. Last generation, a lot of effort went into stabilising the developers, building IPs, re-structuring, and getting some real strength on the first party front. There were a lot of things happening. In a way, the effort was so Western focused, that SCEJ was slightly neglected. However, with the foundation there, all that is needed now is for SCE to fine tune things rather than re-vamp them. This means, the potential is there to expand tried and tested teams further, both in SCEA/SCEE and in SCEJ.

Basically, I'd expect even more content from SCE WWS with the PS4 than with the PS3. This will be a great time to be a Playstation owner, both for new IP, sequels to some existing IP, and maybe a few blasts from the past.
Is JRPG1 an attempt at a FF-like game like JRPG2, or is it something smaller? 'Melt the hardcore' and comparisons to multimillion sellers implies something fairly substantial, but I'm not sure if your "second attempt" re: JRPG2 refers to both of these JRPGs, or if the implied first attempt is the Legend of Dragoon or something.

So what would be a good acquisition targets for Sony and MS? RAD and Quantic Dream for Sony and Remedy for MS, but are there any others?

VillageBC

Wait, so is The Last of Us coming to PS4?

Nobody knows... It kind of makes sense to move it to the PS4. But that might not happen as I would assume it would require reworking a lot of the art assets to look good at the higher resolution/framerate/iq the PS4 will be able to achieve.

mhayze

I'm amazed that Sony owns a first party studio that missed an entire console generation. A seven year console generation.

coldfoot

Banned
Nobody knows... It kind of makes sense to move it to the PS4. But that might not happen as I would assume it would require reworking a lot of the art assets to look good at the higher resolution/framerate/iq the PS4 will be able to achieve.
1080p, 60 fps, and 4xAA would be a massive improvement for TLOU, and it would shut the Xbone 60 fps, PS4 30 fps guys up.
Since ND are already working on their engine for PS4, they might even sneak a better lighting model in there.

KAL2006

Banned
Does anyone know what the Ice team are up to in Sony. The Ice team were a Studio that helped other Sony Worldwide Studios due to the difficult hardware of PS3. Now that PS4 is basically PC architecture, what is the point of Ice team.

dr_rus

Does anyone know what the Ice team are up to in Sony. The Ice team were a Studio that helped other Sony Worldwide Studios due to the difficult hardware of PS3. Now that PS4 is basically PC architecture, what is the point of Ice team.
Ice Team is Naughty Dog.

prwxv3

1080p, 60 fps, and 4xAA would be a massive improvement for TLOU, and it would shut the Xbone 60 fps, PS4 30 fps guys up.
Since ND are already working on their engine for PS4, they might even sneak a better lighting model in there.

This was completely stupid, Xbone had KI and F5 as 60 FPS games you know genres that almost always have 60 FPS. It's a bit worrying at the progress of drive club but the devs are aiming for 60 FPS without the sacrifices F5 made and there are multiple third party games that are 60 FPS on PS4.

If you're still updating this then I guess you can add That MS owns the Quantum Break IP. I didn't know this until recently, though it seems a few others have (in the 4 new IP thread)

As Brad Grenz said they are still experimenting.

I suspect they're a big part of how the SDK is so far ahead. Whether they can retain that talent on a WAY less interesting hardware, who knows.

I think it's why Cerny has been talking up the GPU side. Perhaps they'll be focusing on how best to implement other tasks on the GPU. As the GPU is still a bit of a puzzle to unlock... Again, according to Cerny.

MercuryLS

Banned
Why is this even a thread? MS has nothing on Sony when it comes to overall 1st party output, it's not even close. Sony is aggressively expanding their studios too.

Usobuko

Banned
Next gen hasn't even started yet and were arguing exclusives and their calibre. Cant we just enjoy them all? Personally I think MS will be bringing hard with exclusive development in the first year.

Sony will bring the usual excellence, which I really hope they maintain.

What are your expectations for the rest of the generation?

I'm far from the biggest Sony fan and their first parties, even I would not doubt Sony over Microsoft in delivering their own developed games consistently.

Hindle

Banned
What are your expectations for the rest of the generation?

I'm far from the biggest Sony fan and their first parties, even I would not doubt Sony over Microsoft in delivering their own developed games consistently.

They'll do a combination of everything. They've built up several new studios, so first party content is something we will still see from them, but they'll also continue to invest in partnerships with 3rd party's.

I just see Sony's first party this generation, with established studios. How many of ANYONE's titles were on time, and didn't suffer setbacks.

I just don't see that changing this generation, and I think it's weird either platform holder would say... We have 15/20 developments for the first year.

Especially for Microsoft with unproven development teams. It's bound to go fucking awful for several of these titles between the two.

harSon

Banned
Why is this even a thread? MS has nothing on Sony when it comes to overall 1st party output, it's not even close. Sony is aggressively expanding their studios too.

It remains to be seen whether they put out quality studios, but if you're giving props for expanding first party studios, then you'd have to give some to Microsoft since they've had the biggest moves internally. Over the last few years, they've created 4 AAA studios and about 6-7 smaller ones.

KAL2006

Banned
It remains to be seen whether they put out quality studios, but if you're giving props for expanding first party studios, then you'd have to give some to Microsoft since they've had the biggest moves internally. Over the last few years, they've created 4 AAA studios and about 6-7 smaller ones.

Both Sony and MS have expanded their studios. But I give Sony more props. MS started expanding quite late, and you won't see games from their Studios like Black Tusk for a while. Throughout the generation MS has lost quality first party devs like Bungie. And their first party output hasn't been all that great. While Sony let go of devs that did not deliver (devs of Twisted Metal, SOCOM, Starhawk, PS Battle Allstars and etc), while expanding current studios into 2 (Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Guerilla Games). They also bought Media Molecule, Sucker Punch and Evolution and Sony Japan has had things changed recently which shows that they are releasing many games (Rain, Puppeteer, Freedom Wars).

JJD

As far as first party studios go while I do think that Sony's first party is clearly superior, it seems MS is building their studios to match Sony.

343 Studios actually have an advantage against Guerrilla considering they inherited Halo from Bungie a franchise much more popular than Killzone (I still prefer KZ to Halo).

Black Tusk studios game could be some kind of "Uncharted with spies", who knows.

And obviously while Gran Turismo is still much more popular, Turn 10 Forza is a worthy contender to the console sim crown.

So I think if MS keep investing they can have a first party that while not superior (for now), will at least offer a similar experience.

If there is one studio that Sony have, and people often forget about, a studio that MS doesn't have anything comparable (as far as I know), is Sony Online Entertainment.

Planetside 2 is a great F2P game that is coming to the PS4.
And EverquestNext received a lot of game of the year awards at E3 from popular MMO sites. One of the SOE developers has been pretty vocal on twitter insinuating the next Everquest may come to the PS4.

I'm really happy SOE is supporting the PS4 more actively than the PS3. I thought that DC Universe was a good game but not the best they could do. PS2 is amazing, and EQN could be huge considering E3 word of mouth.

Both are quality F2P games that won't even require a PSN Plus account to be played online. I really believe they are a killer app MS still can't match.

KAL2006

Banned
Does anyone know whats going on with Sony London. They are probably one of Sony's biggest Studios, I was hoping they were making a hardcore game, but it seems they are dedicated to R&D and casual games.

Does anyone know whats going on with Sony London. They are probably one of Sony's biggest Studios, I was hoping they were making a hardcore game, but it seems they are dedicated to R&D and casual games.

Apparently they are Sony's biggest studio, surprisingly. They have been fairly busy this gen with Move/casual stuff like SingStar, EyePet and Wonderbook, but I'd like to see them try some more core-orientated experiences such as The Getaway again.

Take a look around, Microsoft has opened and purchased many new first party studios.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only 'core' focused new studio MS has opened is Black Tusk. I know they have Twisted Pixel and Press Play as well, but a lot of their newer studios seem to be formed for mobile or conceptual purposes.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong though.

KAL2006

Banned
Apparently they are Sony's biggest studio, surprisingly. They have been fairly busy this gen with Move/casual stuff like SingStar, EyePet and Wonderbook, but I'd like to see them try some more core-orientated experiences such as The Getaway again.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only 'core' focused new studio MS has opened is Black Tusk. I know they have Twisted Pixel and Press Play as well, but a lot of their newer studios seem to be formed for mobile or conceptual purposes.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong though.

Aren't MS Osaka and MS Victoria big studios as in making retail games for Xbox One.

There are a few un-named studios like Microsoft Redmond, Victoria and Osaka.
No idea what they are working on but it's widely assumed they are working on core games.
I wouldn't rule out Big Park either, some Linked-in profile mentioned a AAA IP.

KAL2006

Banned
There are a few un-named studios like Microsoft Redmond, Victoria and Osaka.
No idea what they are working on but it's widely assumed they are working on core games.
I wouldn't rule out Big Park either, some Linked-in profile mentioned a AAA IP.

Is there any information at all on Redmond, Osaka and Victoria. Firstly Redmond, I haven't heard of them, reason why they are not listed in the OP. Finally with Osaka and Victoria, how big are those studios, are they making retail, Kinect or XBLA games. The only new studio with have 100% confidence that are making a AAA retail game is Black Tusk. Links would be appreciated. For now I have left Osaka and Victoria as studios that are making AAA retail games in the OP list.

I'm somewhat confused as to why certain studious on both MS and Sony aren't included into their WWS an example being the devs in Spain who make Invisimals for vita and ps3 are clearly a Sony owned studio but aren't recognized as a WWS

I expect MS' first party studios, outside of 323i, Remedy and Turn 10, to have a pretty rough first couple of years before they start delivering content that really pushes into the top tier. I expect more for them to explore more previously "underrepresented but commercially viable" genres. Whilst on the Sony side I expect some big risky projects but actually less than MS on the whole, given MS' fledgling first party studios have far more to prove.

On the quality side I expect preeminent top tier stuff from a bigger portion of Sony's devs this time around. And on the MS side I expect a greater focus on mechanics and gameplay features/modes to drive appeal than the gold standard polish that exudes from Sony's best.

All in all I'm looking forward to an exciting next-gen. Hoping I'll even have the time to play even half of these games :-(

Ushae

Banned
I expect MS' first party studios, outside of 323i, Remedy and Turn 10, to have a pretty rough first couple of years before they start delivering content that really pushes into the top tier. I expect more for them to explore more previously "underrepresented but commercially viable" genres. Whilst on the Sony side I expect some big risky projects but actually less than MS on the whole, given MS' fledgling first party studios have far more to prove.

On the quality side I expect preeminent top tier stuff from a bigger portion of Sony's devs this time around. And on the MS side I expect a greater focus on mechanics and gameplay features/modes to drive appeal than the gold standard polish that exudes from Sony's best.
All in all I'm looking forward to an exciting next-gen. Hoping I'll even have the time to play even half of these games :-(

Honestly I think both MS and Sony are going to surprise us with their releases. Good post.

Unless MS Studio's Redmond division has been secretly building up a game development team, their role within the context of Microsoft Studios have always been external development.

Their job hirings are almost always for either incubator teams, external development roles working with 3rd parties, or publishing.

Besides, if MS were to build up another game development team in Redmond (without buying another studio), it would make more sense for this team to be located with 343i.

J-Rzez

It's clear that Sony has the first party advantage, and that's why MS will throw money at some devs to slap that "microsoft studios" sticker on the box, they know they're out classed. Now the interesting thing for this gen is how long will MS keep throwing money out the window to these devs? Will they fight through the gen buying up games? Will they fight at first then give up mid gen again? Will they throw that money around for the first 2-3 years and then focus efforts on releasing a new console early to make up for the debacle the xbone has become?

It's interesting to think about what they'll do but there's one variable, and that's assuming they don't do well at all in the market. Humans and their free will can easily give MS a landslide victory for whatever reason, or possibly make it close like this past gen. If either of those two happen, I'm sure the thoughts to the above questions will change significantly.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm somewhat confused as to why certain studious on both MS and Sony aren't included into their WWS an example being the devs in Spain who make Invisimals for vita and ps3 are clearly a Sony owned studio but aren't recognized as a WWS

If you talking about Novarama, they are now owned by Sony. They have made a game for PC and DS before, however it seems they mainly make games exclusive to Sony. They are listed in the OP.

I disagree, I expect Sony take more risks like they have doing as of recent. New IP from Media Molecule old be interesting, new Fantasy IP from Guerilla Games, new IP from Santa Monica, and I am sure Naughty Dog will make a new IP along with Uncharted. They you got Quantic Dream that are different. Of course those doesn’t include PSN games which Sony showed to be risky with Journey, The Unfinished Swan.

Globox_82

Banned
Sanzaru is missing from that list.

what's his name...insider on gaf. Verendus or something like that said they are working on another Sly game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom