• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony vs Microsoft: The First Party Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quantic Dream is not first party though.
He also listed Remedy, so it doesn't matter. He made the distinction in the OP, so we can include them.

Honestly, both are pretty much first party at this point. When the co-CEO of a company tweets this, you know they're not leaving their platform of choice anytime soon:

gdeff9pzt.jpg

Sony needs to pick up some new studios though.

They closed down a few and they need to create some new ones to replace those they lost.

I will edit the list with the newly announced games after E3. Should see some timed exclusives added for MS, as well as confirmation on what some of the listed developers are making for Sony and MS.

How do you even know this? how do you even know they will be "timed exclusives" is this a troll thread?

KAL2006

Banned
No, don't lock this thread KAL2006. Maybe you are biased, but your OP is totally alright and meets the standards. We can leave this as it is as long as you're wiling to update the list.

For Sony is missing:

-Quantic Dream has a second team as well working on PS4

For MS is missing:

-MS Redmond
-Skybox
-ConnectedExperiences
-Xbox LIVE Productions

Didn't add Redmond as they only help other studios, not including studios like that, Sony has something similar with Santa Monica and Ice Teams. Also didnt include Quantic Dtream twice as they are only contracted to make 3 games for Sony, after Beyond, they only need to make one more game for Sony.

Variety (both in gameplay and design) goes to Sony, no contest imo. This includes not constantly whoring out your 2 decade old, boring IPs.
In quantity, Sony and Nintendo are comparable I guess, MS being behind quite a bit.
All three seem to have the "quality" part down. Sony might have a few more "bad" eggs due to more experimental&niche games.

edit: actually I have to say, personally Nintendo gets also less credit due to the Wii and now WiiU being basically one generation behind in terms of tech. In graphics, physics etc., their games will always be outclassed by far. All their Mario-esque games also have a design I don't find charming at all, so can't make it up with that.

Overall I'm much more interested in Sony's focus on experimental stuff, artsy stuff and cinematic games. It's my personal bias, but most of MS's games look like they are made for a US teenage boy focus group. I also don't dig most Nintendo's IPs anymore, even though (or because of) I've grown up with them, just can't stand the "characters" being not more than some themepark mascots.

KAL2006

Banned
How do you even know this? how do you even know they will be "timed exclusives" is this a troll thread?

If the game is published by MS or co developed then I will include as full exclusive, if MS announce a game and state clearly the IP is exclusive of a trilogy like Gears, then I will include that.

LeBoef

They closed down a few and they need to create some new ones to replace those they lost.

Because creating and having a studio means instant success?
Dont you think there is a reason to close experienced studios?

Because creating and having a studio means instant success?
Dont you think there is a reason to close experienced studios?

No, it doesn't mean instant success, you obviously have to cultivate new studios with the right talent and leadership.

I still think Sony made some big mistakes in some of the studios it closed like Zipper.

MAG showed a lot of potential. Sure, Socom 4 was a let down, but that is because they tried to turn it into COD.

Well I believe Microsoft has been doing better in this regard and I expect excellent games from them. Sony has more first party output but I have no doubt that there will probably be quite a few 3rd party exclusives around launch. Microsoft also tends to have a high threshold on replay value ect... This new gen should be exciting.

LeBoef

No, it doesn't mean instant success, you obviously have to cultivate new studios with the right talent and leadership.

I still think Sony made some big mistakes in some of the studios it closed like Zipper.

MAG showed a lot of potential. Sure, Socom 4 was a let down, but that is because they tried to turn it into COD.

Potential mostly doesnt generate income. Sony and ms would have far more studios if this industry wouldnt be so expensive and success demanding.

You have got to add kinect development to MS's studio list as a caveat.

With Sony's you don't. So even though MS are making progress with new studios (and should be commended for that), they will have a (likely growing) proportion of them working on Kinect titles this gen.

Shads

Is Microsoft LA a game studio? I got an impression that the studio they have down there was only production for the Halo TV Series. But I certainly could be wrong.

And Sony easily wins in the 1st party studios. Sony's game lineups are always so diverse and creative, when compared to Microsoft mostly going with shooters and racing games. But curious to see what these new MS studios are doing as it seems like they've hired a lot of talent for these teams.

This reminds me of the old Nintendo vs Sega days. Maybe it's nostalgia, but in my opinion, nothing will ever beat the games that they put out during that timespan when Sega was still in the hardware market.

Drek

The 'Wii' franchise of games per installment sold significantly more than all Uncharted combined.

Something like Uncharted would be like a B tier Nintendo franchise in regards to sales.

So let's not exaggerate Uncharted's importance.
FYI, the Uncharted franchise has topped 13M in total sales, and Uncharted 3 shipped 3.8M units day one (more than Skyward Sword). Only 7 Wii games have topped that and five of those have names that start with "Wii-".

But sure, that's Nintendo's walled garden ecosystem for you, where they milk the shit out of established IPs generation after generation and 3rd parties provide such little support that a Nintendo console owner is starving between every Nintendo release. Its a very profitable model.

Now the person I quoted was trying to build his argument on the quality of a particular new IP. My rebuttal was that Uncharted, both critically and commercially, is the run away success story in terms of new first party IPs this generation.

I'm not even a big fan of Uncharted. I greatly prefer Xenoblade (because I really loved the first 2/3rds of FFXII). But Uncharted is a far bigger break out new IP.

Drek

Why do you think they're working with Ready at Dawn, Tarsier, Marvelous AQL, Sanzaru, etc. while splitting Naughty Dog Sony Santa Monica, and Guerrilla Games?

Amir0x

Banned
IF - and it's a huge IF - Microsoft were to announce an end to its anti-consumer policies and allow me to be interested in their system again, I would be very skeptical about their first party lineup considering how it ended up on 360. They may have hit more balls out of the park with sales, but Sony was consistently audacious, experimental and fascinating with their releases during the PS3 gen, and they've only got better at developing games overall. And they have so many experienced studios.

Still, I would be really excited about Microsoft's lineup now that we've heard the investment they made. Maybe it means a diverse lineup catered toward the hardcore... or it could mean 8 Kinect games or something. But stuff like Forza 5 is sure to be amazing, and Quantum Break looks really interesting (although one of the reasons I purchased 360 early in the gen was because of Alan Wake, as I was a big Remedy fan. After Alan Wake, I'm now much more skeptical of their concepts). I am sure they have some wild things in the cards. Shame I can't really focus on that at the moment, considering how the horrendously negative console design invalidates any value elsewhere.

Is Microsoft LA a game studio? I got an impression that the studio they have down there was only production for the Halo TV Series. But I certainly could be wrong.

No. When they announced it was opening all the PR was about media deals and original video/transmedia content production. The Kinect Sesame Street and NatGeo were used as examples, but those are actually made in London, I think. I can see MS LA having a hand in things like the Quantum Break live action stuff. I'd assume they are also shepherding Halo TV. We shouldn't expect a game. They are a production studio, not a game development studio.

I'd speculate that Twisted Pixel are working on a full retail game for XB1 at this point.

They are certainly ready for it.
With 25 employees? I mean you can do a lot with 25 people, but probably not an AAA core title ;)

I expect a retail title, but something smaller or more artistic.

EDIT: or not.

tfur

I do like the fact that some of the Sony studios are open with their development. I enjoy the Guerrilla Games tech talks. Its like being at a papers and panels at Siggraph.

Not sure why so many are calling for censorship on the thread creator.

KAL2006

Banned
No. When they announced it was opening all the PR was about media deals and original video/transmedia content production. The Kinect Sesame Street and NatGeo were used as examples, but those are actually made in London, I think. I can see MS LA having a hand in things like the Quantum Break live action stuff. I'd assume they are also shepherding Halo TV. We shouldn't expect a game. They are a production studio, not a game development studio.

I moved LA Studio to the second list. What about Microsoft Victoria, are they confirmed to be a studio that makes core retail games.

KAL2006

Banned
Each Sony list is longer. Are you saying that you weren't aware that in list wars the longer list usually wins (quality counts for something as well, of course)?

It depends, I think how people should look at the list is how many developers/games the person is actually is interested in, quantity doesn't matter, that is why Sony let go of Superbot, Zipper, Stahawk studio, Eat Sleep Play and etc. Shame they got rid of Liverpool though.

Pistolero

If having preferences is having an agenda, then neogaf, no, the whole gaming community is a walking, talking and playing library.
I see no harm in making a thread about this. In fact, I am highly interested in knowing whatever is available on MS first party studios.

flippedb

Banned
On what planet? Sony has produced more new IPs

They don't sell half as much as Nintendo's do. Nintendo has quality, quantity and sales.

It's the only company that could keep a console going just with 1st. party games. It truly is the biggest in the industry when it comes to 1st. party, and it's not really arguable.

Kyon

Banned
They don't sell half as much as Nintendo's do. Nintendo has quality, quantity and sales.

It's the only company that could keep a console going just with 1st. party games. It truly is the biggest in the industry when it comes to 1st. party, and it's not really arguable.

stopped reading there cause i guessed as much.

Sony built its infrastructur over many years. I'd say its impossible for Microsoft to catch up, it'll take them 5 year at least.
It needs time to form teams, the teams need time to work together, they need to release titles and get better every time around. Thats something you can't buy with money.

Microsoft can't beat Sony in terms of 1st party exclusives.

It's the only company that could keep a console going just with 1st.

Well, we saw how well that worked... N64 and Gamecube.

Wii was an exception because they reached a new casual market with the Wii, but that market is gone now. Those people play on their smartphones and tablets now, they don't buy WiiUs or Nintendogames anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom