• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony vs Microsoft: The First Party Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremy1456

Are you cognizant of what constitutes "critical" success?

Wii Sports:

76.28%

Wii Sports 2:

82.65%

Uncharted Drake's Fortune:

89.67%

Uncharted 2:

96.38%

Uncharted 3:

91.78%

Uncharted Golden Abyss:

80.66%

Critical success isn't just review scores.

The Wii had huge positive media coverage. I'm pretty sure that also constitutes critical success.

But keep on it because I seem to have hurt a lot of feelings for some reason. I'm out.

The Wii had huge positive media coverage. I'm pretty sure that also constitutes critical success.

But keep on it because I seem to have hurt a lot of feelings for some reason. I'm out.

I don't see any hurt feelings. Where are these hurt feelings?

dummydecoy

I wish Sony had an answer to Splinter Cell. I want a stylish, hi-tech, covert ops stealth game.
MGS and Syphon Filter can suck it.

I wish Sony had an answer to Splinter Cell. I want a stylish, hi-tech, covert ops stealth game.
MGS and Syphon Filter can suck it.

mgs shits on every other stealth game, that is a fact that can't be denied. The detail in those games are incredible. Syphon filter is better than splinter cell as well. ESPECIALLY recent vs recent efforts.

i-Lo

And Uncharted didn't?

I don't know whose feelings were hurt but given you're trying deflect your incapability to face facts and consequent disillusionment by deriding the ones who provide it, people shouldn't pay heed to anything you have to post.

KAL2006

Banned
Do we really need a comparison here? Sony definitely dominates Microsoft for 1st party games, no question.

Depends on the person. I personally think quantity means nothing. It's not as if I am going ot buy all the games listed. It's about what games appeal to you. For me personally I prefer Sony, I like Uncharted and inFamous. Where as I am not a fan of Halo, Forza or Fable. I have played Halo 2 and 3, and they just didn't do it for me.

Nerix

Thanks for that list, interesting read. Really looking forward to E3, to see on what next-gen stuff many of these studios are working.

So to finally settle who introduced the most new IPs this generation and to start a new era of dick contests I took some time off to compile a new LIST!

I'm purely relying on Wikipedia here, so if anything is missing, feel free to correct it.

Not allowed are:

-Titles that use an existing IP e.g. Sonic & Mario or Kinect Sesame Street
-Games that rely mostly on existing IPs e.g. PS Allstars or Move Heroes
-Remakes of exisiting IPs like Warhawk
-DS, PSP, 3DS, Vita titles

Here we go:

Nintendo (Wii, WiiWare):

Retail:

Wii Sports
Wii Play
Wii Party
Wii Fit
Wii Music
Wii Chess (later released on WiiWare)
Xenoblade Chronicles
Endless Ocean
Captain Rainbow
FlingSmash
Zangeki no Reginleiv
Kiki Trick
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower

14 new IPs

WiiWare:

MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade
Lonpos
Bonsai Barber
Rock N’ Roll Climber
PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit
You, Me and the Cubes
Eco Shooter: Plant 530
AquaSpace
Snowpack Park
ThruSpace
Line Attack Heroes
Fluidity

12 new IPs

14+12 = 26 new IPs

Microsoft (360, Arcade):

Retail:

Kameo: Elements of Power
Gears of War
Ninety-Nine Nights
Viva Piñata
Blue Dragon
Crackdown
Mass Effect
Project Sylpheed
Shadowrun (edge case, not based on, but inspired by original Shadowrun)
Lips
Lost Odyssey
Too Human
You're In The Movies
Ninja Blade
Alan Wake
Dance Central
Kinect Sports
Kinectimals
Kinect Adventures!
Kinect Joy Ride
The Gunstringer
Kinect Nat Geo TV
Nike+ Kinect Training

23 New IPs

Arcade:

Aegis Wing
Pinball FX
A Kingdom for Keflings
Go! Go! Break Steady
TiQal
The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai
The Maw
Shadow Complex
'Splosion Man
Comic Jumper: The Adventures of Captain Smiley
Limbo
Hydrophobia
Monday Night Combat
Toy Soldiers
Raskulls
Crimson Alliance
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Full House Poker
Fusion: Genesis
Orcs Must Die!
Iron Brigade
Bloodforge
Deadlight
Diabolical Pitch
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Double Fine Happy Action Theater
Haunt
Mark of the Ninja
Sine Mora
The Splatters
Wreckateer
Ascend: Hand of Kul
BattleBlock Theater
State of Decay

34 New IPs

23+34 = 57 new IPs

Sony (PS3, PSN):

Retail:

Resistance: Fall of Man
The Eye of Judgment
Folklore
Heavenly Sword
Lair
MotorStorm
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
LittleBigPlanet
EyePet
Infamous
The Fight: Lights Out
Heavy Rain
Kung Fu Rider
MAG
ModNation Racers
The Shoot
Sports Champions
Start the Party!
TV Superstars
White Knight Chronicles
Carnival Island
Everybody Dance
Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest
Book of Spells
Starhawk
Sorcery
Tokyo Jungle
Dust 514
Beyond: Two Souls
Puppeteer
The Last of Us
Until Dawn
Wonderbook: Diggs Nightcrawler

33 New IPs

PSN:

Blast Factor
Calling All Cars!
Everyday Shooter
Feel Ski
Go! Puzzle
High Velocity Bowling
Pain
PixelJunk Racers
Piyotama
Super Rub 'a' Dub
Toy Home
Crash Commando
Dark Mist
Echochrome
Elefunk
The Last Guy
Linger in Shadows
Sky Diving
.detuned
Hustle Kings
Fat Princess
Flower
Savage Moon
Trash Panic
Dead Nation
Tumble
Datura
Journey
The Unfinished Swan
Rain
The Trials of Topoq
Tori-Emaki
Beat Sketcher
Numblast
Sound Shapes

35 New IPs

33+35 = 68 new IPs

Result:

-Sony indeed created the most new IPs in numbers this generation
-Nintendo didn't release any new IPs is absolutely wrong
-Microsoft created/published very few new IPs is a lie

We can all be happy now and live in peace!

So to finally settle who introduced the most new IPs this generation and to start a new era of dick contests I took some time off to compile a new LIST!

I'm purely relying on Wikipedia here, so if anything is missing, feel free to correct it.

A lot of those Arcade games migrate to PC or even PS3. They aren't really MS games. And people tend to talk about the larger full priced games and don't really consider Kinect in it. It's not for them so it doesn't matter for them.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Depends on the person. I personally think quantity means nothing. It's not as if I am going ot buy all the games listed. It's about what games appeal to you. For me personally I prefer Sony, I like Uncharted and inFamous. Where as I am not a fan of Halo, Forza or Fable. I have played Halo 2 and 3, and they just didn't do it for me.

Quantity doesn't mean much to me either. I've put more hours into a few MS exclusives than I would with more of Sony's, most of them aren't my cup of tea.

Not allowed are:

-Titles that use an existing IP e.g. Sonic & Mario or Kinect Sesame Street
-Games that rely mostly on existing IPs e.g. PS Allstars or Move Heroes
-Remakes of exisiting IPs like Warhawk
-DS, PSP, 3DS, Vita titles

Here we go:

Nintendo (Wii, WiiWare):

Retail:

Wii Sports
Wii Play
Wii Party
Wii Fit
Wii Music
Wii Chess
Xenoblade Chronicles
Endless Ocean
Captain Rainbow
FlingSmash
Zangeki no Reginleiv
Kiki Trick
The Last Story
Inazuma Eleven Strikers
Pandora's Tower

15 new IPs

WiiWare:

MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade
Lonpos
Bonsai Barber
Rock N’ Roll Climber
PictureBook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit
You, Me and the Cubes
Eco Shooter: Plant 530
AquaSpace
Snowpack Park
ThruSpace
Line Attack Heroes
Fluidity

12 new IPs

15+12 = 27 new IPs

Microsoft (360, Arcade):

Retail:

Kameo: Elements of Power
Gears of War
Ninety-Nine Nights
Viva Piñata
Blue Dragon
Crackdown
Mass Effect
Project Sylpheed
Shadowrun
Lips
Lost Odyssey
Too Human
You're In The Movies
Ninja Blade
Alan Wake
Dance Central
Kinect Sports
Kinectimals
Kinect Adventures!
Kinect Joy Ride
The Gunstringer
Kinect Nat Geo TV
Nike+ Kinect Training

23 New IPs

Arcade:

Aegis Wing
Pinball FX
A Kingdom for Keflings
Go! Go! Break Steady
TiQal
The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai
The Maw
Shadow Complex
'Splosion Man
Comic Jumper: The Adventures of Captain Smiley
Limbo
Hydrophobia
Monday Night Combat
Toy Soldiers
Raskulls
Crimson Alliance
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Full House Poker
Fusion: Genesis
Orcs Must Die!
Iron Brigade
Bloodforge
Deadlight
Diabolical Pitch
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Double Fine Happy Action Theater
Haunt
Mark of the Ninja
Sine Mora
The Splatters
Wreckateer
Ascend: Hand of Kul
BattleBlock Theater
State of Decay

34 New IPs

23+34 = 57 new IPs

Sony (PS3, PSN):

Retail:

Resistance: Fall of Man
The Eye of Judgment
Folklore
Heavenly Sword
Lair
MotorStorm
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
LittleBigPlanet
EyePet
Infamous
The Fight: Lights Out
Heavy Rain
Kung Fu Rider
MAG
ModNation Racers
The Shoot
Sports Champions
Start the Party!
TV Superstars
White Knight Chronicles
Carnival Island
Everybody Dance
Book of Spells
Starhawk
Sorcery
Tokyo Jungle
Dust 514
Beyond: Two Souls
Puppeteer
The Last of Us
Until Dawn
Wonderbook: Diggs Nightcrawler

33 New IPs

PSN:

Blast Factor
Calling All Cars!
Everyday Shooter
Feel Ski
Go! Puzzle
High Velocity Bowling
Pain
PixelJunk Racers
Piyotama
Super Rub 'a' Dub
Toy Home
Crash Commando
Dark Mist
Echochrome
Elefunk
The Last Guy
Linger in Shadows
Sky Diving
.detuned
Hustle Kings
Fat Princess
Flower
Savage Moon
Trash Panic
Dead Nation
Tumble
Datura
Journey
The Unfinished Swan
Rain
The Trials of Topoq
Tori-Emaki
Beat Sketcher
Numblast
Sound Shapes

35 New IPs

33+35 = 68 new IPs

Result:

Nice lists! Shadowrun isn't a new IP though.

A lot of those Arcade games migrate to PC or even PS3. They aren't really MS games. And people tend to talk about the larger full priced games and don't really consider Kinect in it. It's not for them so it doesn't matter for them.
Doesn't matter. They were first introduced and published by MS on their system alone for at least a brief period of time. And quality and size of the title doesn't matter in a list war. I'm purely counting new IPs. Sony received the same advantage with PSN and their Move titles. So the numbers still stand :D

Doesn't matter. They were first introduced and published by MS on their system alone for at least a brief period of time. And quality and size of the title doesn't matter in a list war. I'm purely counting new IPs. Sony received the same advantage with PSN and their Move titles. So the numbers still stand :D

I don't really consider moneyhatting temporary exclusivity "creating new IP." If they don't own the IP, they didn't create it.

lostones

Banned

that's a awful argument, most of the best games this generation are smaller titles.

I don't really consider moneyhatting temporary exclusivity "creating new IP." If they don't own the IP, they didn't create it.

MS doesn't own the Gears IP but they're are the reason the IP got off the ground. Their own workers, $, and marketing went into the game.

Quantity doesn't mean much to me either. I've put more hours into a few MS exclusives than I would with more of Sony's, most of them aren't my cup of tea.

Nice lists! Shadowrun isn't a new IP though.
"The game is also inspired by the role-playing game of the same name. It is not set in the official Shadowrun timeline, but an alternate continuity invented by FASA Interactive."

"Inspiration" and spiritual successors are OK I think. Might be a problematic case, because it uses the same name. Will mark it.

For Nintendo Inazuma Eleven is a Level 5 game, Nintendo just publishes it in Europe. Wii Chess was a European retail release of a Wiiware game.
You are right. Corrected. Wii Chess still released in Europe as retail first and came to WiiWare later, so I'm leaving it there, but marked it.

You are right. Look at it more like "IPs that found their first home on Xbox/PS3/Wii". It doesn't matter if MS paid for it or if the developer simply liked Xbox more than PS3. For whatever reason the IP was first associated with Xbox. We can make a separate list at one point only counting the IPs MS/Sony/Nintendo actively funded.

At the moment this list is developed, funded and published combined.

Pistolero

Using the 400+ employees of London Studios (Sony) to produce Singstars and co is such a waste of talents and resources, imo. Get them on some juicy IPs for Christ's sake!

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

They might've helped fund it, it might not have been picked up by another publisher, etc. It's perfectly fine to list those as IPs MS created.

Using the 400+ employees of London Studios (Sony) to produce Singstars and co is such a waste of talents and resources, imo. Get them on some juicy IPs for Christ's sake!

Ever think they might be happy making those Singstar games?

cchum

Singstar has sold like 20 million lifetime (all versions), so Sony is probably happy there. I would like to see them try something new too though.

Uncharted was probably the most influential game this gen(probably on the same level as call of duty).

Kandinsky

It's called Edith Finch

Oh, and Sony Santa Monica + Naughty Dog + Suckerpunch >>>>> anything MS or any other publisher could possibly offer

SP in there is just cute. But yeah I tend to agree, Sony is winning even if I don't care about most of their franchises, you can't really deny their commitment, I wish Nintendo were half as good.

This thread was worth just for jeremy's posts lamo my sides.

In terms of output it goes like this:

Nintendo>>Sony>MS

In terms of new IP's it goes like this:

Sony>>MS>>Nintendo

Personally I prefer Sony's 1st party output.

At least they put out a game that sells. What the hell have SCEJ been doing this gen with probably the biggest number of devs.

yurinka

I personally would define critical success as a 95+% Metacritic and some GOTY/Best of E3/similar awards.
As long as they continue making profitable games, services and accessories for their console like Singstar, Eyetoy, Move, Home or Wonderbook Sony will be happy with them.

I have to question the reasoning behind counting Wonderbook twice.

Also, list wars. It's 2005 all over again. Man, it feels great in an oddly perverse way.

Warablo

Sony defiantly put out a lot of titles... Though Microsoft can really just rely on Halo and Gears...

Halo is old, and Gears has lost its stride, but I think Gears can still be saved. You gotta remember Halo set the standard for console FPS, and Gears set the standard for TPS...

KAL2006

Banned
I think the next big shooter is going to be Destiny, which is a multiplatform game so both console owners should be happy. I am personally not a fan of Halo or Killzone.

I remember some guys at IGN had a bet that Gears 3 would sell more than all the first party Sony games that were released that year. It did sell more.

How do you know that Uncharted 4 and GOW 4 are in development? Uncharted 4 would be pointless since we already got 3 games + the vita one and the series ended pretty definitively with U3.

Naughty Dog usually starts a new series every console generation:

PS1: Crash Bandicoot
PS2:Jak & Daxter
PS3:Uncharted
PS4: ????? (Possibly Last of Us series?)

Jotaka

Personally I think this dragonbane list is restricted. The only reason is because there a lot of japanese games that never got in outside

Verendus

Banned
I remember some guys at IGN had a bet that Gears 3 would sell more than all the first party Sony games that were released that year. It did sell more.
So, you're saying it outsold all of these combined:

Ape Escape On The Move
Carnival Island
DC Universe Online
Everybody Dance
God of War: Origins Collection
The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Infamous 2
Killzone 3
LittleBigPlanet 2
MLB 11: The Show
MotorStorm: Apocalypse
PlayStation Move Heroes
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
Resistance 3
SOCOM 4
Start the Party 2
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
White Knight Chronicles 2

It didn't, by the way. It shipped a similar amount to Uncharted 3 overall. We can ignore the rest.

So this thread got me playing around with metacritic data:

- only current gen home "consoles": PS3, 360, PC (after November 1st 2005), Wii
- top scored 150 games on metacritic *

- games with at least over 20 critics; score of ca. 86 (any platform) or above
- games NOT available on PS2/GC/Xbox (if it's mostly just an HD upgrade), so no Okami, Ico, GoW collection, most sport games etc. etc.
- no DLC including full (MMORPG) add-ons even if they were also sold as stand alones (GTA episodes)
- I took the liberty to merge some games that are more or less updates (MLB the Show, Street Fighter) or stand alones available as one collection (Orange Box).

The 150 games and their scores:

Code:
Name								Release		PS3	360	PC	Wii

Assassin's Creed II						Nov 17, 2009	91	90	86	N/A
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood					Nov 16, 2010	90	89	88	N/A
Batman: Arkham Asylum						Aug 25, 2009	91	92	91	N/A
Batman: Arkham City						Oct 18, 2011	96	94	91	N/A
Battlefield 3							Oct 25, 2011	85	84	89	N/A
Battlefield: Bad Company 2					Mar 2, 2010	88	88	87	N/A
Bayonetta							Jan 5, 2010	87	90	N/A	N/A
Bionic Commando Rearmed						Aug 13, 2008	87	85	86	N/A
BioShock							Aug 21, 2007	94	96	96	N/A
BioShock 2							Feb 9, 2010	88	88	88	N/A
BioShock Infinite						Mar 26, 2013	94	93	94	N/A
Bit.Trip Presents...Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien	Feb 27, 2013	86	87	85	N/A
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger / BlazBlue: Continuum Shift 		Jul 30, 2009	87	86	?	N/A
Borderlands 2							Sep 18, 2012	91	89	89	N/A
Braid								Aug 6, 2008	93	93	90	N/A
Burnout Paradise						Jan 22, 2008	87	88	87	N/A
Call of Duty 2							Nov 17, 2005	N/A	89	86	N/A
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare					Nov 5, 2007	94	94	92	N/A
Call of Duty: Black Ops						Nov 9, 2010	88	87	81	80
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2					Nov 10, 2009	94	94	86	N/A
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3					Nov 8, 2011	88	88	78	70
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night				Mar 21, 2007	N/A	89	N/A	N/A
Cave Story							Mar 22, 2010	N/A	N/A	?	89
Company of Heroes						Sep 13, 2006	N/A	N/A	93	N/A
Critter Crunch							Oct 8, 2009	87	N/A	?	N/A
Crysis								Nov 13, 2007	81	81	91	N/A
Dark Souls							Oct 4, 2011	89	89	85	N/A
Dead Space							Oct 13, 2008	88	89	86	N/A
Dead Space 2							Jan 25, 2011	89	90	87	N/A
Demon's Souls							Oct 6, 2009	89	N/A	N/A	N/A
Deus Ex: Human Revolution					Aug 23, 2011	89	89	90	N/A
Diablo III							May 15, 2012	?	?	88	N/A
DiRT 2								Dec 10, 2009	87	87	89	51
DiRT 3								May 24, 2011	87	87	86	N/A
Dishonored							Oct 9, 2012	89	88	91	N/A
DJ Hero 2							Oct 19, 2010	86	86	N/A	88
Donkey Kong Country Returns					Nov 21, 2010	N/A	N/A	N/A	87
Dragon Age: Origins						Nov 3, 2009	87	86	91	N/A
Empire: Total War						Mar 3, 2009	N/A	N/A	90	N/A
Fable II							Oct 21, 2008	N/A	89	N/A	N/A
Fallout 3							Oct 28, 2008	90	93	91	N/A
Far Cry 3							Dec 4, 2012	90	91	88	N/A
Fez								May 1, 2013	N/A	89	89	N/A
Fight Night Round 4						Jun 23, 2009	88	87	N/A	N/A
flower								Feb 12, 2009	87	N/A	N/A	N/A
Football Manager 2010						Nov 3, 2009	N/A	N/A	87	N/A
Forza Motorsport 2						May 29, 2007	N/A	90	N/A	N/A
Forza Motorsport 3						Oct 27, 2009	N/A	92	N/A	N/A
Forza Motorsport 4						Oct 11, 2011	N/A	91	N/A	N/A
Gears of War							Nov 7, 2006	N/A	94	87	N/A
Gears of War 2							Nov 7, 2008	N/A	93	N/A	N/A
Gears of War 3							Sep 20, 2011	N/A	91	N/A	N/A
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2					Jul 30, 2008	N/A	90	N/A	N/A
God of War III							Mar 16, 2010	92	N/A	N/A	N/A
Grand Theft Auto IV						Apr 29, 2008	98	98	90	N/A
GRID								Jun 3, 2008	87	87	87	N/A
GTR 2								Sep 29, 2006	N/A	N/A	90	N/A
Guild Wars 2							Aug 28, 2012	N/A	N/A	90	N/A
Halo 3								Sep 25, 2007	N/A	94	N/A	N/A
Halo 4								Nov 6, 2012	N/A	87	N/A	N/A
Halo: Reach							Sep 14, 2010	N/A	91	N/A	N/A
Heavy Rain							Feb 23, 2010	87	N/A	N/A	N/A
Ikaruga								Apr 9, 2008	N/A	87	N/A	N/A
Joe Danger							Dec 14, 2011	86	88	N/A	N/A
Journey								Mar 13, 2012	92	N/A	N/A	N/A
Killzone 2							Feb 27, 2009	91	N/A	N/A	N/A
L.A. Noire							May 17, 2011	89	89	83	N/A
Left 4 Dead							Nov 18, 2008	N/A	89	89	N/A
Left 4 Dead 2							Nov 17, 2009	N/A	89	89	N/A
LIMBO								Jul 21, 2010	90	90	88	N/A
Little King's Story						Jul 21, 2009	N/A	N/A	N/A	87
LittleBigPlanet							Oct 27, 2008	95	N/A	N/A	N/A
LittleBigPlanet 2						Jan 18, 2011	91	N/A	N/A	N/A
Mark of the Ninja						Oct 16, 2012	N/A	90	91	N/A
Mass Effect							Nov 20, 2007	85	91	89	N/A
Mass Effect 2							Jan 26, 2010	94	96	94	N/A
Mass Effect 3							Mar 6, 2012	93	93	89	N/A
Max Payne 3							Jun 1, 2012	87	86	87	N/A
Medieval II: Total War						Nov 13, 2006	N/A	N/A	88	N/A
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots			Jun 12, 2008	94	N/A	N/A	N/A
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption					Aug 27, 2007	N/A	N/A	N/A	90
Minecraft							Nov 18, 2011	N/A	82	93	N/A
MLB 12: The Show / MLB 13: The Show				Mar 6, 2012	87	N/A	N/A	N/A
Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge		Jul 7, 2010	87	85	87	N/A
Mortal Kombat							Feb 28, 2012	84	88	?	N/A
NBA 2K13							Oct 2, 2012	90	88	90	?
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit					Nov 16, 2010	89	88	86	50
New Super Mario Bros. Wii					Nov 15, 2009	N/A	N/A	N/A	87
NHL 10 / NHL 11							Sep 15, 2009	88	88	N/A	N/A
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX					Nov 17, 2010	91	93	?	N/A
Peggle								Nov 19, 2009	91	89	85	N/A
Pinball FX 2							Oct 27, 2010	N/A	88	85	N/A
PixelJunk Shooter						Dec 10, 2009	87	N/A	N/A	N/A
Plants vs. Zombies						Sep 8, 2010	85	89	87	N/A
Portal 2							Apr 19, 2011	95	95	95	N/A
Project Gotham Racing 3						May 19, 2009	N/A	88	N/A	N/A
Punch-Out!!							May 18, 2009	N/A	N/A	N/A	86
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time				Oct 27, 2009	87	N/A	N/A	N/A
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction			Oct 23, 2007	89	N/A	N/A	N/A
Rayman Origins							Nov 15, 2011	87	87	86	92
Red Dead Redemption						May 18, 2010	95	95	N/A	N/A
Resistance 2							Nov 4, 2008	87	N/A	N/A	N/A
Resistance: Fall of Man						Nov 14, 2006	86	N/A	N/A	N/A
Rez HD	 							Jan 30, 2008	N/A	89	N/A	N/A
Rock Band 3							Oct 26, 2010	91	93	N/A	91
Shadow Complex							Aug 19, 2009	N/A	88	N/A	N/A
Sid Meier's Civilization V					Sep 21, 2010	N/A	N/A	90	N/A
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor				Jun 27, 2010	N/A	N/A	N/A	87
Sins of a Solar Empire						Feb 4, 2008	N/A	N/A	87	N/A
Skate								Sep 14, 2007	85	86	N/A	N/A
Spelunky							Jul 4, 2012	?	87	?	N/A
Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty					Jul 27, 2010	N/A	N/A	93	N/A
Street Fighter IV /  Super Street Fighter IV			Feb 17, 2009	94	93	91	N/A
Super Mario Galaxy						Nov 12, 2007	N/A	N/A	N/A	97
Super Mario Galaxy 2						May 23, 2010	N/A	N/A	N/A	97
Super Meat Boy							Oct 20, 2010	N/A	90	87	N/A
Super Smash Bros. Brawl						Mar 9, 2008	N/A	N/A	N/A	93
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix				Nov 26, 2008	87	88	N/A	N/A
Supreme Commander						Feb 20, 2007	N/A	56	86	N/A
The Beatles: Rock Band						Sep 9, 2009	88	89	N/A	89
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion					Mar 20, 2007	93	94	94	N/A
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim					Nov 11, 2011	92	96	94	N/A
The Last of Us	 						Jun 14, 2013	96	N/A	N/A	N/A
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword				Nov 20, 2011	N/A	N/A	N/A	93
The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar			Apr 24, 2007	N/A	N/A	86	N/A
The Orange Box							Oct 10, 2007	89	96	96	N/A
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition			Jul 15, 2009	87	88	86	N/A
The Sims 3							Jun 2, 2009	78	76	86	N/A
The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series			Dec 11, 2012	94	92	89	N/A
The Witcher (Enhanced Edition)					Sep 16, 2008	N/A	N/A	86	N/A
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings				May 17, 2011	N/A	88	88	N/A
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2			Mar 6, 2007	84	86	76	N/A
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas					Nov 20, 2006	86	88	85	N/A
Tomb Raider							Mar 5, 2013	87	86	86	N/A
Torchlight II							Sep 20, 2012	N/A	N/A	88	N/A
Total War: Shogun 2						Mar 15, 2011	N/A	N/A	90	N/A
Trials Evolution						Apr 18, 2012	N/A	90	N/A	N/A
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves					Oct 13, 2009	96	N/A	N/A	N/A
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception					Nov 1, 2011	92	N/A	N/A	N/A
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune					Nov 16, 2007	88	N/A	N/A	N/A
Unreal Tournament III						Dec 11, 2007	86	83	82	N/A
Valkyria Chronicles						Nov 4, 2008	86	N/A	N/A	N/A
Virtua Fighter 5						Oct 30, 2007	85	89	N/A	N/A
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning				Sep 18, 2008	N/A	N/A	86	N/A
World in Conflict						Sep 18, 2007	N/A	N/A	89	N/A
World of Goo							Oct 13, 2008	N/A	N/A	90	94
Worldwide Soccer Manager 2007					Oct 31, 2006	N/A	N/A	87	N/A
XCOM: Enemy Unknown						Oct 9, 2012	89	90	89	N/A
Xenoblade Chronicles						Apr 6, 2012	N/A	N/A	N/A	92
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure			Oct 23, 2007	N/A	N/A	N/A	87

(please tell if I made mistakes)

So that's:

PS3: 93 of 150 games available, 20 exclusives
360: 99 of 150 games available, 16 exclusives
PC: 91 of 150 games available, 16 exclusives
Wii: 23 of 150 games available, 12 exclusives

(didn't dissect by first party studios here)

I was surprised that the Nintendo platform actually turned out the worst in the exclusive area, behind the 360 (though not if we only count in-house developed games of course, but that doesn't matter for the player). While they have some of the highest rated exclusives, I think the difference will be even bigger if we go to top 200 or more games (e.g. PS3 is missing quite some games like GT5, KZ3, Yakuza, inFamous etc.).

I guess my point regarding the topic is:
Even if we only look at games generally accepted having the highest quality (which often misses the experimental ones Sony likes to try), Sony > Microsoft both in in-house department and platform exclusives.

edit: Also the Wii is so weird, having only a fraction of these games. If you don't want to buy multiple platforms, you could choose either PS3, 360 or PC depending on your preferences and still get to try most of today's top games. But Wii-only is hardly an option for gamers. This might even get worse with the WiiU in the next gen.

This thread was worth just for jeremy's posts lamo my sides.

In terms of output it goes like this:

Nintendo>>Sony>MS

In terms of new IP's it goes like this:

Sony>>MS>>Nintendo

Personally I prefer Sony's 1st party output.

At least they put out a game that sells. What the hell have SCEJ been doing this gen with probably the biggest number of devs.

Nintendo output superior to Sony's, in bizarro world sure...

I think Sony has the more consistently productive first party studios of the two. They dont really appeal to me much though.

But, TBH exclusives from either of those two dont really mean much for me (aside from Halo). I own both the PS360 and I imagine I have bought on an average about 1-2 exclusives per year on each console. At most.

Its all about the third parties.

KAL2006

Banned
updated OP, note I still haven't included many digital games, especially for Sony. Personally in terms of new game announcements MS destroyed Sony at E3. However a lot of exclusives seem to be made by 3rd party (which isn't good for long term) and perhaps some games can be timed also (Dead Rising 3, TitanFall) as the games are not published my MS. I think maybe Sony was holding back, and MS just blew their load, announcing things like Halo and Black Tusk game just seems too early. Though MS still have Lionhead saved.

KAL2006

Banned
Microsoft is publishing Dead Rising 3. Titanfall is the only 3rd party exclusive I think.

interesting, I really hope TitanFall becomes timed, as that was the game of the show for me. If not at least lets hope TitanFall 2 becomes multiplatform. Thats the problem with 3rd party exclusives, MS can't rely on them.

Feorax

MS blew their load this E3. The only studio I can think of who still might have a surprise in store is Lionhead, who's record hasn't exactly been stellar recently.

Sony, on the other hand, have Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Evolution, London Studios, Sony Bend, etc, are working on for PS4. Heck, if GT6 is shipping this year, I'm willing to bet that Polyphony is working on something next-gen related. If you can bring yourself to believe, there's also TLG.

Sony holding all the cards between now and launch.

KAL2006

Banned
MS blew their load this E3. The only studio I can think of who still might have a surprise in store is Lionhead, who's record hasn't exactly been stellar recently.

Sony, on the other hand, have Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Evolution, London Studios, Sony Bend, etc, are working on for PS4. Heck, if GT6 is shipping this year, I'm willing to bet that Polyphony is working on something next-gen related. If you can bring yourself to believe, there's also TLG.

Sony holding all the cards between now and launch.

What about RARE, they can't just be making Kinect Sports. Double Helix are making Killer Instinct (likely shit game now), which means RARE must have another team making a core game. Or is RARE actually a dead company now that only makes Kinect games. What happened to the team that made Viva Pinata, Banjo Nuts and Bolts, Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom