• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

Cyriades

Does X800D have wide color gamut?

Yes

KU6290/KU7000 doesn't so it can't display HDR content in true HDR. It just can't produce the colors that are required to see HDR content in its fullest form. I'm not sure how it down scales HDR content, but whatever you are seeing probably isn't much better than non HDR 4K.

KU7000 has wide color gamut.

KU6290 does not.

Does X800D have wide color gamut? KU6290/KU7000 doesn't so it can't display HDR content in true HDR. It just can't produce the colors that are required to see HDR content in its fullest form. I'm not sure how it down scales HDR content, but whatever you are seeing probably isn't much better than non HDR 4K.

Edit - beaten

III-V

Does X800D have wide color gamut? KU6290/KU7000 doesn't so it can't display HDR content in true HDR. It just can't produce the colors that are required to see HDR content in its fullest form. I'm not sure how it down scales HDR content, but whatever you are seeing probably isn't much better than non HDR 4K.

Yes, the X800D does have a wide color gamut.

No, wide color gamut is not mandatory for good HDR, its only one component, like 8-10 bit color.

It is still leaps and bounds better than ordinary 4K SDR.

smokeyp

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on either the 43" or 49" model.

Has anyone seen the 43" and the 49" side by side? If so, is there a discernible difference in contrast/black level to warrant choosing the 43" over the 49"?

I think I'm not as concerned about viewing angles as much as contrast.

Madness

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on either the 43" or 49" model.

Has anyone seen the 43" and the 49" side by side? If so, is there a discernible difference in contrast/black level to warrant choosing the 43" over the 49"?

I think I'm not as concerned about viewing angles as much as contrast.

49" uses IPS panel and has discernible difference in contrast and black levels when viewed head on but maintains colors and quality much better at an angle than the 43" VA panel. Though many who have the 49 say it is VA but it is doubtful. Also remember 49" has the power brick as well. If you're going to be exactly in front, maybe no more than 45 degrees angle viewing the 43 would be better. If it is for a larger room and more will view on sides get 49.

smokeyp

49" uses IPS panel and has discernible difference in contrast and black levels when viewed head on but maintains colors and quality much better at an angle than the 43" VA panel. Though many who have the 49 say it is VA but it is doubtful. Also remember 49" has the power brick as well. If you're going to be exactly in front, maybe no more than 45 degrees angle viewing the 43 would be better. If it is for a larger room and more will view on sides get 49.

Man, I was hoping that there was some voodoo magic that made recent IPS panels have amazing contrast. Looks like I'm leaning towards the 43".

Mindman

One of the comments below the Rtings review has me confused:

Q: Does Geforce card detect this TV with a native 4k res in the Nvidia control panel or 1080p like many others 4k Sony? Because this can break the Nvidia GPU scaling since it require you to set the desktop resolution to be the same as the display native resolution or CPU scaling won't work. This can be extremely frustrating whenever you launch a non 4k application and loose signal for a few seconds until the TV picks up the new resolution.

A: Yes, the Nvidia control panel list the 1080p resolution as the native resolution of the TV on for the Sony X800D.

What does this mean? I can only use the TV with 1080p with an Nvidia card since it detects that as native?

telasoman

What does this mean? I can only use the TV with 1080p with an Nvidia card since it detects that as native?

This seems weird to me. I own a X850C and my 980TI sees the TV as 3840x2160 native.

Different TV, but I would assume it should work the same??

Gitaroo

lol I was the one that asked the question, basically this is what you will see
Untitled.png

4K resolution works fine, however it breaks the GPU scaler, if you set your desktop resolution to 3840X2160@59Hz, all resolution above 1920X1080 will scale to 3840X2160 by the tv. Anything 1920x1080 or below will force the GPU to change resolution back to 1920x1080, and resolutions below it like 1600x900 or 1280x720 will only scale to 1080. The TV EDID is telling the Geforce card that is native resolution is 1080p but support 3840x2160. It is very annoying because whenever the GPU change resolution the screen goes blank for a few second. The Philips 4K that I had before was ok, it says 3840x2160 is the native res so every other resolution will scale to 3840x2160@60Hz, it never had to change resolution and screen never goes blank.

Mindman

lol I was the one that asked the question, basically this is what you will see
Untitled.png

4K resolution works fine, however it breaks the GPU scaler, if you set your desktop resolution to 3840X2160@59Hz, all resolution above 1920X1080 will scale to 3840X2160 by the tv. Anything 1920x1080 or below will force the GPU to change resolution back to 1920x1080, and resolutions below it like 1600x900 or 1280x720 will only scale to 1080. The TV EDID is telling the Geforce card that is native resolution is 1080p but support 3840x2160. It is very annoying because whenever the GPU change resolution the screen goes blank for a few second. The Philips 4K that I had before was ok, it says 3840x2160 is the native res so every other resolution will scale to 3840x2160@60Hz, it never had to change resolution and screen never goes blank.

Haha nice, you're the best person to be asking then. :) So you do have your PC connected to HDMI 2 or 3, with an HDMI 2.0 cable, with Enhanced HDMI enabled on the TV? Its looks to be that way but I want to confirm.

This is almost a dealbreaker for me. Oddly though there wasn't really mention of this exact issue over in the X800D thread at AVS forums so I asked there as well. All the people just seemed to mention not being able to get 4:4:4 chroma and all that, and they had to turn on the Enhanced HDMI setting so I wanted to see if it was related to this issue.

Seems like this would be a bigger deal to people. Do AMD users experience this as well? Xbox One S seems to be detecting native 4k correctly based on this thread, so that makes me wonder about the EDID thing. I may not get this TV as a result of this. :\

ViciousDS

Banned

those blacks man.....I have the 43inch and its so beautiful to see for such a cheap TV. I think this is the best bang for buck till HDR premium comes down to the same price. I only payed $520 for my X800D open box at best buy.......fucking awesome price for it.

Just google best buy open box.....search TV's and most likely they will have one of these for another $100-$150 off. If anything is wrong with the set you can return it like anything else. If you order online as well you can return to the store.....its one of the reasons why I buy TV's at best buy is just because its not a pain in the ass to try and return a TV

Vuze

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the problem with the EDID stuff? It was a bit irritating at first for sure but since the TV accepts 2160p60 no questions asked I fail to see what's the deal breaker? Is this in regards to running games at sub native (sub 2160p) resolutions in exclusive full screen and the scaling quality?

Mindman

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the problem with the EDID stuff? It was a bit irritating at first for sure but since the TV accepts 2160p60 no questions asked I fail to see what's the deal breaker? Is this in regards to running games at sub native (sub 2160p) resolutions in exclusive full screen and the scaling quality?

The issue is that since 1080p is reported as native by the TV, GPU scaling does not work, and TV scaling must be used instead when running a game below 2160p. So if 2160p is selected as the display resolution in the Nvidia control panel, running games in 1080p or lower will cause the TV to black out for a few seconds while it switches resolution to 1080p. If 2160p was reported as the native resolution like it should be, the GPU would downscale anything below 2160p without having to black out the screen, instead of the TV downscaling it. So basically, the GPU would constantly send a 2160p signal, even if 1080p is selected in the game, because the GPU is handling the scaling and not the TV. If that makes sense at all...

I'm trying to decide if this is a dealbreaker or not for me. Sounds super annoying. Play 1080p game, black screen. Come out of 1080p game, black screen. What's your experience been with it Vuze?

ViciousDS

Banned
omg.....I just realized I've had my colors set to 8bit this entire damn time for the xbox.....that and I added 2 to gamma by another gaffers recommendation. Fired up Forza again.

HOLY....FUCKING......SHIT!

Like....a cloud goes over and you actually feel the gradual darkness of cloud coverage....dear god. Also sand dunes have an intense brightness to them compared to without HDR.

I can't imagine what looking into the sun would be like with a good set....we probably would all go blind.

The issue is that since 1080p is reported as native by the TV, GPU scaling does not work, and TV scaling must be used instead when running a game below 2160p. So if 2160p is selected as the display resolution in the Nvidia control panel, running games in 1080p or lower will cause the TV to black out for a few seconds while it switches resolution to 1080p. If 2160p was reported as the native resolution like it should be, the GPU would downscale anything below 2160p without having to black out the screen, instead of the TV downscaling it. So basically, the GPU would constantly send a 2160p signal, even if 1080p is selected in the game, because the GPU is handling the scaling and not the TV. If that makes sense at all...

I'm trying to decide if this is a dealbreaker or not for me. Sounds super annoying.

It's one of the questions on the bottom of the rtings review as well

Does Geforce card detect this TV with a native 4k res in the Nvidia control panel or 1080p like many others 4k Sony? Because this can break the Nvidia GPU scaling since it require you to set the desktop resolution to be the same as the display native resolution or CPU scaling won't work. This can be extremely frustrating whenever you launch a non 4k application and loose signal for a few seconds until the TV picks up the new resolution.

Yes, the Nvidia control panel list the 1080p resolution as the native resolution of the TV on for the Sony X800D.

Mindman

It's one of the questions on the bottom of the rtings review as well

Lol yep. It's actually that question that got me started on the topic, and it so happened that the person who posted that comment also responded to me here on GAF. And here we are now.

Gitaroo

Haha nice, you're the best person to be asking then. :) So you do have your PC connected to HDMI 2 or 3, with an HDMI 2.0 cable, with Enhanced HDMI enabled on the TV? Its looks to be that way but I want to confirm.

This is almost a dealbreaker for me. Oddly though there wasn't really mention of this exact issue over in the X800D thread at AVS forums so I asked there as well. All the people just seemed to mention not being able to get 4:4:4 chroma and all that, and they had to turn on the Enhanced HDMI setting so I wanted to see if it was related to this issue.

Seems like this would be a bigger deal to people. Do AMD users experience this as well? Xbox One S seems to be detecting native 4k correctly based on this thread, so that makes me wonder about the EDID thing. I may not get this TV as a result of this. :\

New driver is out and let me do a little testing, I will report back in a few hours when I get home.

III-V

I don't get it, can someone explain what is the PC issue? I have it running at 4K hooked up to my iMac, although I did have to use SwitchResX to enable 4K.

consoul

Heads up Ausgaf: the 43" is currently available direct from Sony's eBay store for under $1000 AUD including delivery. Use the C20TEC code to apply 20% discount on the already discounted price.

Just bought one after seeing the PS4 Pro in action at TGS last month.

Gitaroo

Hi. I forgot to mention I don't actually own the x800D, I own the x850D but this EDID problem apply to all the sony 2016 tv even the flagship 930D. Good news is from my initial testing, it looks like nVidia has so done some work to the new driver and now 1080 scale to 4k. Guess they must have read my post in their support forum. The control panels still says 1920x1080 is the native res, but it doesn't means anything at this point. To answer your other question, to get 4k 4:4:4, you do need to set hdmi to enhanced mode. This is not exclusive to sony tv, same need to be done on other brand like the samsung ks8000, and the Philips I had. Basic it just unlock maximum bandwidth mode for the hdmi port.

edit:forget what I said about the GPU scaling, I rebooted the PC now it's back to how it was. Honestly no clue whats going on.

Mindman

Hi. I forgot to mention I don't actually own the x800D, I own the x850D but this EDID problem apply to all the sony 2016 tv even the flagship 930D. Good news is from my initial testing, it looks like nVidia has so done some work to the new driver and now 1080 scale to 4k. Guess they must have read my post in their support forum. The control panels still says 1920x1080 is the native res, but it doesn't means anything at this point. To answer your other question, to get 4k 4:4:4, you do need to set hdmi to enhanced mode. This is not exclusive to sony tv, same need to be done on other brand like the samsung ks8000, and the Philips I had. Basic it just unlock maximum bandwidth mode for the hdmi port.

edit:forget what I said about the GPU scaling, I rebooted the PC now it's back to how it was. Honestly no clue whats going on.

That sucks! So doesn't this issue bother anyone else who games on PC...?

chaosaeon

Okay couple questions/concerns about the TV in the OP. Does this have to be in "game mode" or "graphics mode" or "enhanced hdmi mode" etc to use all the best game related stuff and does that mean I won't be able to fiddle with settings? I love manually tweaking contrast/gamma/black levels/sharpness and color space etc but in a lot of TVs once you enable some kind of mode most of the manual tweaks get greyed out. Is that how the Sony XBR43X800D works ? If I put on all the 4k HDR bells and whistles am I going to lose the ability to tweak specific things like saturation/black levels ? Possibly a deal breaker because I find most of the crazy over vibrant contrast and colors of preset modes to look like demo modes (the "game mode" on my current TV looks absolutely awful compared to my user defined settings). Also need to make sure there's a "just scan" option or whatever it would be called to get the full picture with nothing cut off like overscan problems.

The review also says half of the contrast is lost at an angle of 21 degrees. 21 ? So basically to anyone not sitting directly in front of it, it's washed out and won't look that great, and/or watching movies with a group of people is ruled out ?

Vuze

Okay couple questions/concerns about the TV in the OP. Does this have to be in "game mode" or "graphics mode" or "enhanced hdmi mode" etc to use all the best game related stuff and does that mean I won't be able to fiddle with settings? I love manually tweaking contrast/gamma/black levels/sharpness and color space etc but in a lot of TVs once you enable some kind of mode most of the manual tweaks get greyed out. Is that how the Sony XBR43X800D works ? If I put on all the 4k HDR bells and whistles am I going to lose the ability to tweak specific things like saturation/black levels ? Possibly a deal breaker because I find most of the crazy over vibrant contrast and colors of preset modes to look like demo modes (the "game mode" on my current TV looks absolutely awful compared to my user defined settings). Also need to make sure there's a "just scan" option or whatever it would be called to get the full picture with nothing cut off like overscan problems.

The review also says half of the contrast is lost at an angle of 21 degrees. 21 ? So basically to anyone not sitting directly in front of it, it's washed out and won't look that great, and/or watching movies with a group of people is ruled out ?
You can still adjust blacks, color saturation etc in Game HDR mode. I don't know all available options from top off my head but might check for you later. And yes, there is a full screen mode.

And yes, viewing angle is definitely a concern. It's perfectly fine for two people sharing a bed with the TV at the other end but more than that? ehh. But honestly, a 43" model is too small for group watching movies anyway, no?

Keys

Regarding the incorrect EDID I found out that you can override it with Custom Resolution Utility and get 3840x2160p 60hz as native resolution.
It was fairly simple to get it to work, I'll try it a little more tonight.

Gitaroo

Regarding the incorrect EDID I found out that you can override it with Custom Resolution Utility and get 3840x2160p 60hz as native resolution.
It was fairly simple to get it to work, I'll try it a little more tonight.

I tried that, it doesn't allow resolution like 3840x2160, only up to 2560x1600 I think. Unless I am doing something wrong the author will need to update that program. If you ask me does this issue bother me, I would say yes because the tv display the resolution its switch to on the top for 3-5 seconds. The screen does go blank for a second but come back fast enough to not display the no signal detected msg unlike tv that takes more than 3 seconds. Even when the gpu scaling is working, my 970 take half a second to switch internally anyway. Another way around it is if you have a receiver that does 4k60p scaling then you can get the resolution to stay at 4k60p at all time but there may be more lag

Keys

I tried that, it doesn't allow resolution like 3840x2160, only up to 2560x1600 I think. Unless I am doing something wrong the author will need to update that program. If you ask me does this issue bother me, I would say yes because the tv display the resolution its switch to on the top for 3-5 seconds. The screen does go blank for a second but come back fast enough to not display the no signal detected msg unlike tv that takes more than 3 seconds. Even when the gpu scaling is working, my 970 take half a second to switch internally anyway. Another way around it is if you have a receiver that does 4k60p scaling then you can get the resolution to stay at 4k60p at all time but there may be more lag

I used the preview version so maybe it's that, also the native resolution must be on top in the detailed resolution box.
If you check the last page of the CRU thread the author replied to my question and I just followed that.

chaosaeon

You can still adjust blacks, color saturation etc in Game HDR mode. I don't know all available options from top off my head but might check for you later. And yes, there is a full screen mode.

And yes, viewing angle is definitely a concern. It's perfectly fine for two people sharing a bed with the TV at the other end but more than that? ehh. But honestly, a 43" model is too small for group watching movies anyway, no?

Thanks for that info on the tweaks and full screen/just scan option. Those are definitely things I'd need. About the viewing angle contrast, I mean there's the 49" that has better viewing angle but apparently worse contrast overall. Not exactly a great tradeoff and if anything, great contrast but worse at an angle sounds better than meh contrast from all angles ... doesn't it ? I don't know how much "worse" the contrast really is on the 49", just that it's recognized as being worse. I know it's because the 43" is a VA panel and the 49" is not, but I don't know which is generally preferred.

Gitaroo

I used the preview version so maybe it's that, also the native resolution must be on top in the detailed resolution box.
If you check the last page of the CRU thread the author replied to my question and I just followed that.

then that might be great new for me, if you can get it to work then maybe you can take a screenshot and show me.

Mindman

This looks to be a solid fix. Very nice. I'm back on board now lol. The other way is acceptable I suppose anyway. I'd just set the TV as 1080p since most gaming happens there to prevent the display from blanking out more often than not. Then it would go black for a few seconds when playing a game at 4k, and since it was mentioned it's not long enough to display the "no signal" it wouldnt be too bad.

NHale

If you are from Portugal, FNAC is selling the 49'' for €799 which is a 30% discount and actually cheaper than the 43''!!!

If it wasn't a IPS panel I would be jumping at this deal. Waiting for a 43'' deal...

Gitaroo

This looks to be a solid fix. Very nice. I'm back on board now lol. The other way is acceptable I suppose anyway. I'd just set the TV as 1080p since most gaming happens there to prevent the display from blanking out more often than not. Then it would go black for a few seconds when playing a game at 4k, and since it was mentioned it's not long enough to display the "no signal" it wouldnt be too bad.

Its not on the x850D at least, only annoying part is the pop up that telling you the current resolution. I think sony might have done it deliberately forcing the tv to operate at either 1080 or 4k since they probably have a special processing for dealing with 1080.

I recently purchased a 4k Samsung TV but it had blue flashing light all over the panel when playing ps4 so I had to return it. My room is small so 43 is kind of pushing it but I can manage. Is this TV panel good? How is the HDR quality on this TV? The Samsung tv had amazing black and color. Two bad even after two sets the blue line flashing problem persisted.

kooplar

I usually don't care much for cutting edge technology, but since I just moved and don't have a tv I will probably go pick this up tomorrow (probably the 43 inch). I know this tv isn't probably what you would call cutting edge, but there really isn't anything to justify 4k at the moment. I was either going to buy a shitty 100-150 dollar tv to last me a year until I upgraded, but fuck that Ill just buy this.

Keys

then that might be great new for me, if you can get it to work then maybe you can take a screenshot and show me.

Did some more testing and if you reboot the computer the override for some reason don't work anymore and you've to set it up once again, so I'll just stick with the black screen for some second when I boot a game :/

USF

omg.....I just realized I've had my colors set to 8bit this entire damn time for the xbox.....that and I added 2 to gamma by another gaffers recommendation. Fired up Forza again.

HOLY....FUCKING......SHIT!

Like....a cloud goes over and you actually feel the gradual darkness of cloud coverage....dear god. Also sand dunes have an intense brightness to them compared to without HDR.

I can't imagine what looking into the sun would be like with a good set....we probably would all go blind.

Oh the sun will make you look for your rayban lol
Here's FH3 on my 49" X80D (phone cam sorry)

chaosaeon

There's something bugging me about this VA panel vs IPS panel stuff with this Sony TV. Is there any information quantifying the differences in contrast/ viewing angles against each other in a way we can interpret before buying them ?

For example, the 43" is said to have better contrast from the front but looks more washed out from angles more than 21* which doesn't sound great for a living room with a couch/chairs, and the 49" has much better viewing angles, but the contrast isn't as bold in general or from the front as the smaller TV. That makes sense, but ...

To what extent are these things ? How much better is the contrast in the 43" from the front than the 49" ? Is it a big difference at all or like 10% ? Technically better but negligible ? If it's only like 10% better from the front but then worse from angles then the 49" is better. Hearing that one just looks "better" under different conditions doesn't give a good barometer.

III-V

There's something bugging me about this VA panel vs IPS panel stuff with this Sony TV. Is there any information quantifying the differences in contrast/ viewing angles against each other in a way we can interpret before buying them ?

For example, the 43" is said to have better contrast from the front but looks more washed out from angles more than 21* which doesn't sound great for a living room with a couch/chairs, and the 49" has much better viewing angles, but the contrast isn't as bold in general or from the front as the smaller TV. That makes sense, but ...

To what extent are these things ? How much better is the contrast in the 43" from the front than the 49" ? Is it a big difference at all or like 10% ? Technically better but negligible ? If it's only like 10% better from the front but then worse from angles then the 49" is better. Hearing that one just looks "better" under different conditions doesn't give a good barometer.

A lot of these questions are fairly subjective, so I would recommend getting to a box store to have a look yourself.

43" is quite small for a living room TV nowadays, I am using this a a computer/gaming monitor, I sit less than 2 foot away. Its huge (but I can see the entire image) at that distance.

Off angle performance is really flat. I would NOT purchase this TV if that was a concern of mine. Other TV's may have this same issue as well, it is comes with the display type. It just has to be taken into consideration. For me, its a non-issue.

For a small-medium living room, I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 50".

Take your tape and compass out and figure if 21 degrees is enough to cover everyone who will be watching. If it doesn't, I would choose a different display type entirely.

Rtings is a great website where they consider this type of performance in the TV review.

For me, the drop in picture quality is severe when you are off-angle.

kooplar

I'm at the store walking in circles deciding whether to pull the trigger or not on this 49 incher. First poster to say yes or no will decide my fate

III-V

I'm at the store walking in circles deciding whether to pull the trigger or not on this 49 incher. First poster to say yes or no will decide my fate

$1000 impulse buy? Pick it up if they have a return policy you can live with.

III-V

It's 800 + tax so about 860 ish. I don't have any TV so it's either buy a shitty 100 dollar and live with that until next year or juts buy this

Well, I have the 43" and its nice for computer monitor/gaming TV bedroom monitor type of thing.

I couldn't live w/o any TV so I should be buying that all day long if I were you.

EDIT: I should mention: Next years TV typically come out in March/April in the US. Thats when these will see 35% price drops and such.

kooplar

Well, I have the 43" and its nice for computer monitor/gaming TV bedroom monitor type of thing.

I couldn't live w/o any TV so I should be buying that all day long if I were you.

EDIT: I should mention: Next years TV typically come out in March/April in the US. Thats when these will see 35% price drops and such.

Too late, they are already grabbing it from storage :)

lordkosc

I am using this a a computer/gaming monitor, I sit less than 2 foot away. Its huge (but I can see the entire image) at that distance.

Yeah I have mine about 3 feet from my face, and its just about perfect. Can't wait to try some Battlefield 1 later this week.

Are you using the rtings site suggested settings or something more custom?

spwolf

it is same as every VA vs IPS panel... with VA you get deeper blacks, but you have to watch it head on... IPS has grayer blacks, but you can have people watching it at angle.

Generally, lighter and bigger rooms, IPS is fine... smaller, darker, VA is better.

My living room is dark and smaller, so for my 55"-65" tv, i preffer VA screen.
In any case, any screen, it is good to see it in real life.

here is better explanation from rtings:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/viewing-angle

Top Bottom