• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

III-V

Yeah I have mine about 3 feet from my face, and its just about perfect. Can't wait to try some Battlefield 1 later this week.

Are you using the rtings site suggested settings or something more custom?

Its pretty new, less than 2 weeks old, so I am still using rtings general settings.

I have a colorimeter and HCFR software for full calibration, but I want to give the TV some 'burn-in' time.

Probably go through a full calibration next week. I expect it is going to be fairly good right out of the box, judging from rtings cie chart.

If people are interested I could cal early and post before/after results.

I may just do that anyway.

smokeyp

I ended going with the 49" as well. I tried going to a Best Buy and Fry's but their floor display 43" and 49" were both showing demos with different sources, so it was pretty hard to compare contrast between the two sizes.

Viewing the 43" from an angle, you can definitely see the colors and contrast washing out. Though straight on, it was absolutely fine.

My TV should be coming in the next week or so. Until then, I'll be sweating about if I had made the right choice or not. :(

kooplar

Is it just me or does game mode just seem too dark compared to other picture settings? Colors seem a bit off as well in game mode, but I just got this so what do I know.

USF

Is it just me or does game mode just seem too dark compared to other picture settings? Colors seem a bit off as well in game mode, but I just got this so what do I know.

Yes it was dark for me out of the box.
Got to play with the settings and now looks perfect

DieH@rd

Banned
Yes. US X800D model is called XD8005 in the EU. It's not cheap. For that price, it's almost better to gather a bit more and get Samsung [US KS8000/ EU KS7000] and its superior lag and HDR.

Definitely picking this up in the near future, I've decided. Not sure what size to go for though. My lounge isn't that big and I sit around 5-6 ft from my Television. I'm starting to think 43" may be the way to go, but I'm not sure...any advice? :p

Redders

Didn't really want to buy this TV yet, however Tesco currently have it for £654.50, with mothers staff discount and I can get it for £589.05 and I can't see it going that low normally anytime soon.

Severely tempted to pull the trigger, currently sat here staring at it in the basket at work.

Madness

Anyone have any improved games settings that still give you the lowest/regular input lag? Honestly the 43" looks massive in my bedroom and even at almost 45-50 degrees watching from the side I still see almost the same level of colors and blacks.

Vuze

Hey, this is probably a silly question. How does one turn on "Game Mode." for console inputs?

I appreciate the help!
Go to the channel/HDMI that the console is connected to, press the Action Menu button on the remote and then go into the Picture Settings (or sth akin to that). You should then see the general mode as the very first option ("Custom" in this pic).

x800d-config-1-medium.jpg

lordkosc

Chiming back in here, after playing the Battlefield 1 PC trial on this TV @ 1080p upscaled using my GTX970, I've decided to upgrade to a GTX1080, for native 4k@60hz.

I noticed that while a few games looked good upscaled (GTA5 , Battleborn , Endless Legend) when moving away from a cartoony look to a more realistic image with Battlefield 1, the image was far more blurry than I liked.

woahitsshant

Neo Member
Go to the channel/HDMI that the console is connected to, press the Action Menu button on the remote and then go into the Picture Settings (or sth akin to that). You should then see the general mode as the very first option ("Custom" in this pic).

x800d-config-1-medium.jpg

Thank you very much, coming from a Samsung TV I wasn't used to the interface and method involved.

Just want to say that I have this TV and I love it. I had a Samsung UHD that would always have issues with my consoles so I switched it for this one. Only issues right now is sometimes the sound lags when playing (more noticeable in the home screen) and there are two faint white (or lighter color) lines on the screen.

ACH1LL3US

Just want to say that I have this TV and I love it. I had a Samsung UHD that would always have issues with my consoles so I switched it for this one. Only issues right now is sometimes the sound lags when playing (more noticeable in the home screen) and there are two faint white (or lighter color) lines on the screen.

What samsung tv did you have? you find the lag on the sony?

I had the Samsung UHD KU7000. Just the sound lags in the beginning on the Sony. Turn off the TV and on again and it's back to normal. Still love it.
I had that TV too. When playing ps4 I would get blue/red lines flickering in the screen at times. I returned it and bought this TV. I dont regret my choice one bit. This tv is really good imo.

I had that TV too. When playing ps4 I would get blue/red lines flickering in the screen at times. I returned it and bought this TV. I dont regret my choice one bit. This tv is really good imo.
Hey the same thing happened to me!!! I thought my PS4 was broken or something! I'm so happy to hear that it wasn't just me!

Hey the same thing happened to me!!! I thought my PS4 was broken or something! I'm so happy to hear that it wasn't just me!
I actually returned the tv two times due to same issue. I think it's a defect in that model. Given how popular video gaming is I wonder how that got past the testing stage.

I actually returned the tv two times due to same issue. I think it's a defect in that model. Given how popular video gaming is I wonder how that got past the testing stage.
Okay now you're scaring me cause that's what happened to me too.

In the end it was my first jump into owning my own TV and especially a 4K one so I'm glad that the Sony one is paying off right now.

Okay now you're scaring me cause that's what happened to me too.

In the end it was my first jump into owning my own TV and especially a 4K one so I'm glad that the Sony one is paying off right now.
This is my second tv....I mean my own bought Tv. But yeah I also think the HDR is much better in the Sony TV too. Gears of war 4 looks great on it.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Does this tv not pass a 5.1 signal through it's optical out? Only have been able to get a stereo signal so far.

Mindman

Chiming back in here, after playing the Battlefield 1 PC trial on this TV @ 1080p upscaled using my GTX970, I've decided to upgrade to a GTX1080, for native 4k@60hz.

I noticed that while a few games looked good upscaled (GTA5 , Battleborn , Endless Legend) when moving away from a cartoony look to a more realistic image with Battlefield 1, the image was far more blurry than I liked.

This is concerning. I thought this TV had zero filtering applied to 1080p sources. Is that true or not?

Vuze

Does this tv not pass a 5.1 signal through it's optical out? Only have been able to get a stereo signal so far.
Works fine for me. Xbox/ShieldTV (HDMI) > TV > Soundbar (Optical). Surround signal lamp lights up on the soundbar.
You might have to fiddle with the audio settings in the TV, there are three options regarding optical passthrough iirc.

levious

Works fine for me. Xbox/ShieldTV (HDMI) > TV > Soundbar (Optical). Surround signal lamp lights up on the soundbar.
You might have to fiddle with the audio settings in the TV, there are three options regarding optical passthrough iirc.

Thank you, I will look through the menus.

sensui-tomo

Been reading reviews on this tv, i'm guessing the 43" is still at $650 more or less? (trying to find a place that i can pricematch at Best Buy since i have a $400 giftcard there.) Tv sounds nice and would probably be great as either a small living room/bedroom tv. I also have a Xbox one S and planning to get a ps4 pro so i want to see what HDR can do for me.

Vuze

Ok, question from me this time around to anyone who owns a modest gaming PC (probably GTX 9xx/10xx is required). Are you able to play Shadow Warrior 2 at 4k 60Hz in HDR with the TV?
I'm troubleshooting because for some reason the game locks to 29Hz on my end and I seem to be the only one having this problem. So perhaps it's the TV though I can't really see why since I'm connected to an "enhanced" HDMI port that also works fine for Xbox One S and ShieldTV HDR.

Gitaroo

Ok, question from me this time around to anyone who owns a modest gaming PC (probably GTX 9xx/10xx is required). Are you able to play Shadow Warrior 2 at 4k 60Hz in HDR with the TV?
I'm troubleshooting because for some reason the game locks to 29Hz on my end and I seem to be the only one having this problem. So perhaps it's the TV though I can't really see why since I'm connected to an "enhanced" HDMI port that also works fine for Xbox One S and ShieldTV HDR.

try using the xbone s hdmi cable on your pc and see. And is the game running at full screen not full screen window?

Vuze

try using the xbone s hdmi cable on your pc and see. And is the game running at full screen not full screen window?
Already tried the One S cable and same results.
And yes, exclusive fullscreen. HDR is working, it's just that when I tab in the game, it goes from 60 (desktop) to 29Hz (game) regardless of settings.

GazzaGSi

Guys is the model number 43X800D different in the UK? I can only find the 43X8088. Just wondered it they're the same as there's a decent offer at the moment but wouldn't want to buy the wrong one. Thanks

Guys is the model number 43X800D different in the UK? I can only find the 43X8088. Just wondered it they're the same as there's a decent offer at the moment but wouldn't want to buy the wrong one. Thanks

I just bought the 49" model of this TV from Curry's this weekend. In the UK the model number is indeed 43X800D.

Also for those that have this TV, how does 4k upscalling work exactly? is any 1080p signal plugged into the TV automatically upscalled to 4k? Everything ive played so far looks really crisp, especially Gears 4.

Also, I tried HDR mode but I really didn't like it, made everything look way too over saturated. Its probably because I used it on games that aren't HDR supported? If so i would really like to see what the whole HDR fuss is about in person.

All this 4K/HDR stuff is so confusing.

EvB

That's totally normal, almost no TVs will take HDMI 5.1 audio and sent it out via optical.
Presumably it's because of HDCP

Gitaroo

Already tried the One S cable and same results.
And yes, exclusive fullscreen. HDR is working, it's just that when I tab in the game, it goes from 60 (desktop) to 29Hz (game) regardless of settings.

what is the hdmi setting, should be 4:2:2 12bit ot 10 bit to get proper color. Do not use rgb nor 4:4:4, you get get a lot of color banding especially in the skybox.

nikos

I had the Samsung UHD KU7000. Just the sound lags in the beginning on the Sony. Turn off the TV and on again and it's back to normal. Still love it.
What sort of issues did you have with the KU7000? I'm considering that if I'm not going to go with the KS8000. 33-35ms on the Sony is a bit too much for me.

levious

what is the hdmi setting, should be 4:2:2 12bit ot 10 bit to get proper color. Do not use rgb nor 4:4:4, you get get a lot of color banding especially in the skybox.

When would I want to use 4:4:4?

That's totally normal, almost no TVs will take HDMI 5.1 audio and sent it out via optical.
Presumably it's because of HDCP

Oh I should have specified, this is from an antenna source, not hdmi. Good to know though.

DieH@rd

Banned
Can any owner of US 43X800D or EU 43XD8005 confirm does these models have Picture in Picture mode that works between two HDMI inputs? If I get it, I want to use PiP to get access to mu PS4 game feed while working on my PC.

Vuze

Can any owner of US 43X800D or EU 43XD8005 confirm does these models have Picture in Picture mode that works between two HDMI inputs? If I get it, I want to use PiP to get access to mu PS4 game feed while working on my PC.
I'm pretty sure the TV doesn't have PiP regardless of source combo. I never came across any settings.

============================

I seem to have fixed my issue with 4K HDR being limited to 30Hz. It's a software issue.
Either Nvidia HDR is pulling the EDID data incorrectly or Sony goofed the EDID more than expected (we already know the TV supplies 1080p as native res to GPUs).
Regardless, a quick guide that alleviated all problems for me. Proceed at your own risk; though the worst case that might happen is you have to reset your display config.

1) Download and install EnTech MonInfo
2) Make sure the TV is on and connected via an "Enhanced" HDMI port to the GPU
3) Run MonInfo (might take a bit to pull all info)
4) Select the Sony device under Display IDs (for the XD80 Enhanced it should be SNYF903)
5) File > Create INF and save it somewhere with a recoginzable name (SonyXD80Enhanced.inf i.e.). We'll need it in a minute
6) Download and run the latest preview version of CRU
7) Select the TV from the dropdown list, it should also say "Active" for easy recognition
8) Click on Import and select the INF we created earlier. The data on the right side should now be filled with the EDID info that Sony supplied for the TV.
9) Now, I'm not sure if all of these changes are required to get 3840x2160 HDR @ 60Hz @ 4:2:0 12bit (my target for Shadow Warrior 2 HDR) working but I didn't notice any downsides so... just go ahead and copy these settings.
(Source physical adress may be the HDMI ID, no need to change it)
10) Click OK to temporatily store the changes and close CRU
11) Run restart64.exe that came with CRU to restart the display driver in order to apply the changes we made to the TV
12) Done. Atleast for me, these soft-changes survived several reboots. However, a GPU driver update might erase them but I'll see about that.

olimpia84

I have both the 43" and 49" inch models on my watch list in case they get a good sale during Black Friday. Hopefully somebody can answer this: is there enough of a gap/room to fit a PS4 under this TV?
My current TV base is set high enough that I comfortably fit a PS4 under it.

Gitaroo

I'm pretty sure the TV doesn't have PiP regardless of source combo. I never came across any settings.

============================

I seem to have fixed my issue with 4K HDR being limited to 30Hz. It's a software issue.
Either Nvidia HDR is pulling the EDID data incorrectly or Sony goofed the EDID more than expected (we already know the TV supplies 1080p as native res to GPUs).
Regardless, a quick guide that alleviated all problems for me. Proceed at your own risk; though the worst case that might happen is you have to reset your display config.

1) Download and install EnTech MonInfo
2) Make sure the TV is on and connected via an "Enhanced" HDMI port to the GPU
3) Run MonInfo (might take a bit to pull all info)
4) Select the Sony device under Display IDs (for the XD80 Enhanced it should be SNYF903)
5) File > Create INF and save it somewhere with a recoginzable name (SonyXD80Enhanced.inf i.e.). We'll need it in a minute
6) Download and run the latest preview version of CRU
7) Select the TV from the dropdown list, it should also say "Active" for easy recognition
8) Click on Import and select the INF we created earlier. The data on the right side should now be filled with the EDID info that Sony supplied for the TV.
9) Now, I'm not sure if all of these changes are required to get 3840x2160 HDR @ 60Hz @ 4:2:0 12bit (my target for Shadow Warrior 2 HDR) working but I didn't notice any downsides so... just go ahead and copy these settings.

(Source physical adress may be the HDMI ID, no need to change it)
10) Click OK to temporatily store the changes and close CRU
11) Run restart64.exe that came with CRU to restart the display driver in order to apply the changes we made to the TV
12) Done. Atleast for me, these soft-changes survived several reboots. However, a GPU driver update might erase them but I'll see about that.

Interesting, I tried using CRU before but it won't let me create resolution higher than 2560x1440 on my x850D. Also note that it is dangerous to change the edid like that which may fry the tv. Best is to let Sony know about this and get them to update the edid instead. I will create a topic on their support forum since I am quite annoyed by the tv telling my GPU that 1080p is the native res and break the nvdiai GPU scaling. I believe the X800D also tell the video card 1080p is the native resolution before you modify the EDID correct?

What sort of issues did you have with the KU7000? I'm considering that if I'm not going to go with the KS8000. 33-35ms on the Sony is a bit too much for me.
Light bleeding from within on both original and replacement. Flashes of blue and red pixels pixelated patches on screen when I had the PS4. Flickering on the Xbox One. Apps close and no longer work so I have to reset the TV. Huge input lag in the beginning (fixed it later, only time I ever saw input lag affecting me).

It's a nice TV though. If you buy one you'll enjoy it. Also I could never see input lag so I can't help you there.

Looking at the 43 inch... I'm thinking about mounting it ABOVE my desk, above my single 24inch 1080p 144hz monitor. what's a good wall mount for that positioning? never mounted a TV to a wall before...

Vuze

I have both the 43" and 49" inch models on my watch list in case they get a good sale during Black Friday. Hopefully somebody can answer this: is there enough of a gap/room to fit a PS4 under this TV?
My current TV base is set high enough that I comfortably fit a PS4 under it.
Nah, a ShieldTV fits fine but PS4/XO or even Pro: no way. Unless you put the TV on the console haha.
Interesting, I tried using CRU before but it won't let me create resolution higher than 2560x1440 on my x850D. Also note that it is dangerous to change the edid like that which may fry the tv. Best is to let Sony know about this and get them to update the edid instead. I will create a topic on their support forum since I am quite annoyed by the tv telling my GPU that 1080p is the native res and break the nvdiai GPU scaling. I believe the X800D also tell the video card 1080p is the native resolution before you modify the EDID correct?
Yes, it also communicates 1080p as native. Do you have any links re: actual danger of damaging hardware by this soft mod? But yeah, making noise for proper edid update is probably the best but not sure how much manufacturers care about that sort of thing... let me know when you finished the post, I will +1 it or whatever system they use :D

Top Bottom