• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

Madness

Either HDR is not what it's hyped up to be, this TV just sucks at it, or Amazon video sucks.

Honestly I think the content is just not there. Brightness is 400 nits sustained. You should immediately be noticing the difference. Obviously as televisions are cracking 1000 nits it isn't as good as can be. You may enjoy a better set that has more brightness, but I honestly think you would still be thinking the same. Netflix HDR sucks, Amazon HDR isn't too good, only my KS8000 is showing YouTube HDR content. Were it not for my few UHD movies such as Planet Earth II, I would be disappointed as well.

Very few games are doing a goos job either. Andromeda has a few nice HDR moments, Horizon Zero Dawn etc. But then you think games like Destiny 2 won't even have HDR.

A lot of the apps run like shit. I keep getting the MLB.TV app stopped work every time I turn on the TV. Android sucks.

Android TV has more wifi disconnects for me, but wait till you see the shit that is Tizen OS on samsung televisions. Ads you cannot turn off in the menus, app crashes and freezes, it is more fluid but no utility. No changing permissions, disabling apps etc.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
That's because this TV is not bright enough to show off the brighter colors of HDR. To make matters worse, if you have the 49" version then it will be even less impressive because it has an IPS panel. IPS panels have terrible contrast ratio because of shitty blacks.
Uh... You're completely wrong.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

I'm amazed at how well this has propagated on this site. IPS is hardly a terrible display technology. Assuming you're in a brightly lit room. Or toss a lighting strip on the back if you use it in a darker room. Your use case has an effect on the tech.

No local dimming will hurt the contrast. No denying that. (So will crushing blacks with a VA but that's fine apparently) But given that the average scene in HDR is not mastered at 1000 nits (more in the 300-500 range barring explosions etc) , people saying the colors will be too dim are poorly informed at best.

In general HDR simply provides more detail to a scene. It doesn't magically make it pop like a cartoon. If you go in expecting a grossly saturated image, you're going to be perpetually dissapointed no matter what panel tech you buy.

zedge

I'm amazed at how well this as propagated on this site. IPS is hardly a terrible display technology. Assuming you're in a brightly lit room. Or toss a lighting strip on the back if you use it in a darker room. Your use case has an effect on the tech.

No local dimming will hurt the contrast. No denying that. But given that the average scene in HDR is not mastered at 1000 nits (more in the 300-500 range barring explosions etc) , people saying the colors will be too dim are poorly informed at best.

In general HDR simply provides more detail to a scene. It doesn't magically make it pop like a cartoon. If you go in expecting a grossly saturated image, you're going to be perpetually dissapointed no matter what panel tech you buy.

Yep I agree. I have the 49 inch and it looks fantastic imo.

vegohead

Gahhh, I love using this tv. Started watching got season 7 on this and it's simply beautiful.

Spotify app is great too, I just turn off the screen and relax to the music. Sometimes I run the 500 px screensaver app instead and see the amazing art while playing the music.

Anyone else with the issue find a solution to their TV periodically rebooting and turning itself on ever since the last system update? I saw someone else mention having problems with it. Many mornings when I get out of bed and go into my living room, it's sitting there already turned on.

deadfolk

Something I'm a little confused about:

People saying this TV isn't bright enough for decent HDR, then everyone using the rtings settings where brightness is set to 1.

I know that the brightness setting is the backlight strength. Is that something different from the brightness that is insufficient for HDR?

graybot

I'm amazed at how well this has propagated on this site. IPS is hardly a terrible display technology. Assuming you're in a brightly lit room. Or toss a lighting strip on the back if you use it in a darker room. Your use case has an effect on the tech.

No local dimming will hurt the contrast. No denying that. (So will crushing blacks with a VA but that's fine apparently) But given that the average scene in HDR is not mastered at 1000 nits (more in the 300-500 range barring explosions etc) , people saying the colors will be too dim are poorly informed at best.

I have the 55" version, available in Ireland/UK

I cannot tell any difference with HDR or at least cannot see any improvement. I would love to see recommended settings for the 55", as all sites seem to only have the smaller versions

III-V

People saying this TV isn't bright enough for decent HDR, then everyone using the rtings settings where brightness is set to 1.

I know that the brightness setting is the backlight strength. Is that something different from the brightness that is insufficient for HDR?

Brightness set to 1 is the SDR setting for optimal dark/dim room viewing. SDR settings are not equal to HDR settings, many things change. Rtings does not really post HDR settings, either.

People are talking about peak brightness, which is currently recommended to be at 1000 nits (minimum) for best experience. This is a bit subjective, as none of the OLEDs can reach this yet, and they still have some fine HDR. Nevertheless, it is true that HDR uses an absolute and not relative scale for video level, so after you reach peak brightness, everything just clips.

This set (X800D) can reach around 400 nits or so with the backlight cranked to 20.

The issue is that without local dimming, the native contrast ratio remains the same, which is not great for the IPS panel, because with the backlight cranked all the way up, the near blacks and blacks may appear grey and this can cause problems for the 'serious' viewer.

deadfolk

Brightness set to 1 is the SDR setting for optimal dark/dim room viewing. SDR settings are not equal to HDR settings, many things change. Rtings does not really post HDR settings, either.

People are talking about peak brightness, which is currently recommended to be at 1000 nits (minimum) for best experience. This is a bit subjective, as none of the OLEDs can reach this yet, and they still have some fine HDR. Nevertheless, it is true that HDR uses an absolute and not relative scale for video level, so after you reach peak brightness, everything just clips.

This set (X800D) can reach around 400 nits or so with the backlight cranked to 20.

The issue is that without local dimming, the native contrast ratio remains the same, which is not great for the IPS panel, because with the backlight cranked all the way up, the near blacks and blacks may appear grey and this can cause problems for the 'serious' viewer.

So for HDR, should I be cranking up the brightness?

TheBoss1

Uh... You're completely wrong.

You guys make me laugh. HDR on an IPS panel with mediocre peak brightness? LOL

Just because you and handful of others are easily impressed doesn't mean that the HDR on that TV is any good. People watch TV in the night and most won't be bothered to buy bias lighting either. You shouldn't have to do all of that just to get a decent picture.

TheBoss1

I have the 55" version, available in Ireland/UK

I cannot tell any difference with HDR or at least cannot see any improvement. I would love to see recommended settings for the 55", as all sites seem to only have the smaller versions

I don't know if I've seen anyone review the 49" or 55" but those might have different calibration settings because it's a different panel. The general rule of thumb is to use cinema pro mode and turn off most, if not all, of the post processing effects (adv. contrast enhancer, black adjust, etc.). Also, Expert 1 is the most accurate color temperature to use but if you have been used to cool or neutral, it will look like piss filter for a few days til your eyes get adjusted.

zedge

Just because you and handful of others are easily impressed doesn't mean that the HDR on that TV is any good. People watch TV in the night and most won't be bothered to buy bias lighting either. You shouldn't have to do all of that just to get a decent picture.
Seriously piss off dude. Such an arrogant prick.

TheBoss1

Seriously piss off dude. Such an arrogant prick.

Okay I might have came off like a dick but you guys were getting very defensive because I stated why others are unimpressed with HDR on this TV. Nothing I said is inaccurate about the technology behind those panels. My IPS monitor looks very washed next to my VA Sony TV. I am not speaking out of my ass here. Any research will back up what I've been saying.

So I should I leave the brightness settings for HDR at max?
Yes.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Just because you have an axe to grind and have no idea what you're talking about doesn't mean you have something useful to say.

TheBoss1

Just because you have an axe to grind and have no idea what you're talking about doesn't mean you have something useful to say.

Because attacking me instead of my argument is the way to go. There's a reason why TV manufacturers don't use IPS in any of their flagship sets.

IPS is trash. Now go kick rocks.

zedge

Okay I might have came off like a dick but you guys were getting very defensive because I stated why others are unimpressed with HDR on this TV. Nothing I said is inaccurate about the technology behind those panels. My IPS monitor looks very washed next to my VA Sony TV. I am not speaking out of my ass here. Any research will back up what I've been saying.

Yes.
It's how you come across. No need to be little others calling them easily impressed or validating their purchase.

I know VA is better than ips in some regards. But even the VA version of this set pales to high end HDR sets. I'm not stupid. But this tv is half the cost or more compared to those.

TheBoss1

It's how you come across. No need to be little others calling them easily impressed or validating their purchase.

I know VA is better than ips in some regards. But even the VA version of this set pales to high end HDR sets. I'm not stupid. But this tv is half the cost or more compared to those.

I stated facts about the topic and the guy said I was wrong then proceeded to insult my intelligence because he had a different opinion. What is wrong about saying IPS panels are worse for HDR than VA, when contrast ratio is the most important aspect of picture quality? That's why OLEDs are universally praised even though they lack in brightness compared to flagship LCDs.

I admit to coming off in a negative way but he got defensive trying to tell me idk what I'm talking about when he can find this information anywhere on the web.

darthbob

Is the 49" X800D a massive step down from the 43" X800D?

It uses an IPS panel rather than the 43"''s VA panel.

I'm using the 49" in my bedroom facing my bed and it's pretty good, blacks are a bit brighter if the room is completely dark but I usually have a light on so it doesn't bother me.

The 43" would probably work better for a smaller space with confined viewing angles whereas the 49" should work better for a larger room with wider viewing angles, but it's all personal preference.

HDR content looks amazing too. :D

Cyriades

Anyone TV just stop working? I was playing PS4 and the screen went black but I could still hear sound.

Now it will only turn on with no picture. I tried hard-reset still doesn't work.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I stated facts about the topic and the guy said I was wrong then proceeded to insult my intelligence because he had a different opinion. What is wrong about saying IPS panels are worse for HDR than VA, when contrast ratio is the most important aspect of picture quality?

Because you said they don't work at all.

Then you said the colors would magically not work too based on peak brightness which no set operates at the majority of the time. So you flat out don't understand what peak brightness is for or how HDR is mastered.

III-V

Yeah, but doesn't it actually remember settings for both HDR and non-HDR? So you could still fiddle with the HDR brightness.

Correct

So I should I leave the brightness settings for HDR at max?

If you are in a bright room, yes, if not, you can adjust it a bit so that blacks are not as washed out. Up to you, really.

The contrast ratio remains the same, regardless.

Anyone TV just stop working? I was playing PS4 and the screen went black but I could still hear sound.

Now it will only turn on with no picture. I tried hard-reset still doesn't work.

Interesting. Have you tried another HDMI cable? Another source? What if you turn the TV on and hit the menu button?

When HDR content is auto-detected, the TV automatically adjusts it's brightness to 100.

ghibli99

Interesting. Have you tried another HDMI cable? Another source? What if you turn the TV on and hit the menu button?
Yeah, I was gonna say try some basic troubleshooting. If still no image, time to contact Sony or wherever you bought it from!

III-V

Yes, I have my PC connected as well. No picture just sound

Do you see the backlight turn on when you turn it on? What happens if you hit the home button on your remote?

I vaguely recall that it is possible to turn off the display on this set.

zedge

It uses an IPS panel rather than the 43"''s VA panel.

I'm using the 49" in my bedroom facing my bed and it's pretty good, blacks are a bit brighter if the room is completely dark but I usually have a light on so it doesn't bother me.

The 43" would probably work better for a smaller space with confined viewing angles whereas the 49" should work better for a larger room with wider viewing angles, but it's all personal preference.

HDR content looks amazing too. :D

Now that's how you do it. :up: No need for theatrics.

TheBoss1

Because you said they don't work at all.

Then you said the colors would magically not work too based on peak brightness which no set operates at the majority of the time. So you flat out don't understand what peak brightness is for or how HDR is mastered.

So now you're twisting my words. When did I say anything won't work? Is this a joke post?

You sound like the one who doesn't understand how HDR works. If you did, you wouldn't be using the TV that you have.

Formosa

Question about Amazon Prime 4K movies streaming on this TV. I tried it with the Amazon APP on the TV, but I can't get 4K quality for the UHD movies, I've read that Amazon 4K does not support Andiod. Is it true??

Question about Amazon Prime 4K movies streaming on this TV. I tried it with the Amazon APP on the TV, but I can't get 4K quality for the UHD movies, I've read that Amazon 4K does not support Andiod. Is it true??

Has worked fine for me in the past on my C series model. Internet speed is a factor - 25 mb/s is recommended for 4K.

Toe-Knee

Worked fine for me too. On a 100/12 connection for reference.

Formosa

Has worked fine for me in the past on my C series model. Internet speed is a factor - 25 mb/s is recommended for 4K.

Worked fine for me too. On a 100/12 connection for reference.

my speed is 75down/6up using WiFi connection. I am sure speed is fast enough, do you guys think I must use a hardwire ethernet cable?

Also, have you guys tried Amazon Prime 4K movies on the PS4 Pro? It doesn't seem to do 4K movies either.

Top Bottom