• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

Aranath

I'm having some difficulties getting HDR to look good in Uncharted 4. There are several areas in the game where things get pretty dark and when I do this, the whole screen just goes a bright grey and I can see everything too clearly. When I'm outside and everything is sunny and bright, it looks fantastic, but in darker sections (caves, tombs, etc.) it's like it's too bright and I shouldn't be seeing everything so well (not to mention the annoying grey screen).

When I swap back to SDR, these areas look suitably dark and black, but in HDR it looks abysmal.

I've used the Rtings settings for HDR and have tried fiddling with black level, contrast, auto contrast adjust, etc. and the only thing that seems to help is the auto contrast adjust (on high or medium) but even then it doesn't go properly dark and every now and then the whole screen goes kind of purple and it looks terrible.

Any advice?

Toe-Knee

I'm having some difficulties getting HDR to look good in Uncharted 4. There are several areas in the game where things get pretty dark and when I do this, the whole screen just goes a bright grey and I can see everything too clearly. When I'm outside and everything is sunny and bright, it looks fantastic, but in darker sections (caves, tombs, etc.) it's like it's too bright and I shouldn't be seeing everything so well (not to mention the annoying grey screen).

When I swap back to SDR, these areas look suitably dark and black, but in HDR it looks abysmal.

I've used the Rtings settings for HDR and have tried fiddling with black level, contrast, auto contrast adjust, etc. and the only thing that seems to help is the auto contrast adjust (on high or medium) but even then it doesn't go properly dark and every now and then the whole screen goes kind of purple and it looks terrible.

Any advice?

Check the gamma slider in options in the game male sure you can see each segment clearly. It's very easy to have it too high. The default of 5 is far too high with HDR imho I have mine set on 1-2 max depending on room brightness.

Aranath

Check the gamma slider in options in the game male sure you can see each segment clearly. It's very easy to have it too high. The default of 5 is far too high with HDR imho I have mine set on 1-2 max depending on room brightness.

Yeah, I have it set on 2 as well. Until I did that it was eye-meltingly bright. On that setting the well-lit scenes look fantastic, it's just those dark scenes where it goes overly bright and grey.

EDIT: Something I noticed is that the darker segments are very clearly differentiated, but once I get up to the top end of the white side, they become a lot harder to differentiate. Like, the difference is there, but it's not super clear. Is that indicative of a bad setting somewhere?

Toe-Knee

Yeah, I have it set on 2 as well. Until I did that it was eye-meltingly bright. On that setting the well-lit scenes look fantastic, it's just those dark scenes where it goes overly bright and grey.

EDIT: Something I noticed is that the darker segments are very clearly differentiated, but once I get up to the top end of the white side, they become a lot harder to differentiate. Like, the difference is there, but it's not super clear. Is that indicative of a bad setting somewhere?

I think adjusting the contrast should help with those. Have a mess around with the settings in the brightness section on the tv.

People advise against it but I like the dynamic contrast settings on some games.

Uncharted seems to be the only games that need much fiddling.

Vlodril

so i ve been trying to get the sony xd8088/8077 but i cant find it anywhere (neither in greece or in any amazon's europe at least new).

The only ones i can find are newer models like the Sony kd43xd8305baep and the
sony kd43xe7096.

I have read somewhere that the newer models arent as good but i can't really seem to be able to find reviews ( i am guessing some of the models numbering is specific to region thats why). anyone have a clue if these are of the same caliber or there is a current tv i cant at the same price range (about 700-750 euros).

so i ve been trying to get the sony xd8088/8077 but i cant find it anywhere (neither in greece or in any amazon's europe at least new).

sony kd43xe7096.

I have read somewhere that the newer models arent as good but i can't really seem to be able to find reviews ( i am guessing some of the models numbering is specific to region thats why). anyone have a clue if these are of the same caliber or there is a current tv i cant at the same price range (about 700-750 euros).

If you are going to get the 2017 Sony XE line for 4K HDR gaming, get the XE9005 or X900E in the us. Spend two weeks of researching and decided to get the XE9005. A little more pricey, but it compares to some of the oleds, when it comes to the blacks, also 32ms input lag in 4K HDR gaming is quite nice.

Check rtings, they even say the TV might be their recommendation for best middle range for 2017.

Vlodril

If you are going to get the 2017 Sony XE line for 4K HDR gaming, get the XE9005 or X900E in the us. Spend two weeks of researching and decided to get the XE9005. A little more pricey, but it compares to some of the oleds, when it comes to the blacks, also 32ms input lag in 4K HDR gaming is quite nice.

Check rtings, they even say the TV might be their recommendation for best middle range for 2017.

i am looking for something at 43 inches or so its for my room

Nothus

sony kd43xe7096.

I got mine new from Amazon about a month ago, but I just checked now and you're correct in that they are only selling used ones now.
Basically these tvs are no longer being manufactured so once the stock is gone, that's it.
Keep looking but try smaller retailers, although I have a feeling you might have missed the boat in terms of getting one brand new.

Toe-Knee

sony kd43xe7096.

I have the kd49xd8305 and it's excellent.

Toe-Knee

ok maybe i am overthinking it :p if i can't find it within the week ill go for the 43xd8905.

I found the best thing to do was to go into a big store with some demo's on a USB stick and ask them to play them on a bunch of tvs in your price range. I went out all day on getting the Ks7000 but I preferred the depth to the picture on the 8305 in the end.

Fhtagn

Because this model's gone out of stock and the replacement model is out of my price range, I went with the TCL 55P607 that everyone raves about (rtings & gizmodo at least) and I cannot get it to cease ghosting badly when watching a blu-ray (tested with the recent Heat disc) or stuff on my DVR. None of the reviews mention this as even a possibility.

Weirdly it mostly looks fine except when people are on screen.

Is there a general tv calibration and troubleshooting thread I should head over to?

Edit: had to turn off 24 fps mode from video settings on the PS4. This tv is supposed to support 24 fps, so I have some investigation to do...

So I have the potential to buy this TV, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the HDR here compares to the TCL? If it makes a difference, I was thinking of picking up the 43 inch.

Guys and gals, can someone advise if I can hook both my PSVR and PS4Pro to an 4K HDR tv (Sony E900X model. I read here that the box for PSVR does no allow 4K HDR to pass, so should I buy some sort of an attachment that can resolve this or should I unhook the Pro from the box and then hook it to the TV?

Toe-Knee

Guys and gals, can someone advise if I can hook both my PSVR and PS4Pro to an 4K HDR tv (Sony E900X model. I read here that the box for PSVR does no allow 4K HDR to pass, so should I buy some sort of an attachment that can resolve this or should I unhook the Pro from the box and then hook it to the TV?

If you do a search there's a thread with verified solutions.

I think most involve buying a hdmi switcher.

TheBoss1

Possibly been discussed already, but are there any impressions on the 2017 version of this TV?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MSDLCPM/

At least - I assume it is the 2017 version of the same line, because it's what Amazon re-directs me to as the 'later version' when I click on the old 8088 TV.

IPS panel so stay away
*IPS owners triggered*
. Get the X800D if you want this size and price.

If you can afford to spend a few hundred more, get the 49" X900E. It's superior in every single aspect and by a huge margin when you take everything into consideration. It's a huge upgrade.

Robert807

I couldn't find the x800d tv anywhere. I bought the x800e tv. I like it . It's a great tv for the price. Of course their is better tv s out there, but for the price I don't think you could go wrong. Yeah I guess the black levels are not as good but the picture still looks really good. I can't watch tv in the dark. It hurts my eyes. So I put a light on dim when playing video games.

Vlodril

Hey got the sony xd8305 after all. i only have an original ps4 for now but i was trying out some games that have hdr. i tried infamous since it was on ps plus. the colors are fantastic but the intro at least is very dark at some areas. the brightness is at max (auto when hdr popped up). Just wanted to ask is that normal? Should i have my ps4 to limited or full? (its on limited right now).

Toe-Knee

Hey got the sony xd8305 after all. i only have an original ps4 for now but i was trying out some games that have hdr. i tried infamous since it was on ps plus. the colors are fantastic but the intro at least is very dark at some areas. the brightness is at max (auto when hdr popped up). Just wanted to ask is that normal? Should i have my ps4 to limited or full? (its on limited right now).

I leave everything on auto using that exact set. Have you checked the gamma slider in the game settings. I found that helped but the infamous games are darker than most others.

Vlodril

I leave everything on auto using that exact set. Have you checked the gamma slider in the game settings. I found that helped but the infamous games are darker than most others.

i only messed with the tv settings not the game settings thinking most games will have more or less the same lighting settings and i should be good if i fix the tv. ill look it up in game then. again the colors are great but the dark areas especially at the fishery are so dark i cant see the wall. I do remember having a similar issue when i originally played the game but it was years ago so i might be misremembering.

Trashbat

Hi all.

I have the xd8099 49" model in UK.
Since the Netflix app updated my picture, when using Netflix is stuck in 720p. According to the app I've got a 35mb connection. Weirdly when I roll back the update it starts playing in 1080 or 4k when available. Spoke to Netflix, useless. Anyone else having this issue? App keeps updating itself and having to constantly get it to roll back is annoying

oni-link

Is there a way of getting this TV to link up to a PC over Wi-Fi?

I want to get stuff on my PC screen onto the TV so I can watch some stuff in my lounge

SpokkX

I want to get stuff on my PC screen onto the TV so I can watch some stuff in my lounge

XE900 runs Android tv (which sucks overall imo compared to for example apple tv because it is so laggy).. BUT there is a Kodi app that can stream from pc over wifi

DieH@rd

Banned

Yes, just connect your TV to your home WiFi network [hopefully you have a router]. Then on PC you can either fire up Windows Media Player DLNA server ["Media Streaming Options" on Windows 10] or fire up a standalone server app [I recommend "Simple DLNA"]. When server is active, you can access files either via built-in Video app or via some other app [VLC, Kodi, etc].

Just be aware that your WiFi will be good for 1080p media, but it will be too slow if you want to stream 4K [and 4K HDR] files. Those files have massive bandwidth requorements. Even on-board 100mbit Ethernet port of TV will encounter bandwidth issues [choppy video].

I'm right now trying to devise a plan how to remove those issues on my 49XE9005.

Trashbat

Ref my earlier post about Netflix. Would anyone with the same set mind testing? Wonder if it's my ISP, but can't understand how it could be if old version of the app is working fine and Netflix is saying I'm connected at 35mb

Robso

So, are there any current settings that are deemed to be the best at this moment in time for the PS4 Pro for both SDR/HDR and in the PS4's settings? The TV is the 43 inch model and is used in a dark room.

xion4360

So, are there any current settings that are deemed to be the best at this moment in time for the PS4 Pro for both SDR/HDR and in the PS4's settings? The TV is the 43 inch model and is used in a dark room.

I agree with this setting except for brightness at 1. it looks so dim and when playing HDR content it automatically goes up to full making the difference in brightness between HDR and SDR content ridiculous. the default setting of 35 for SDR looks good to me, maybe a little dimmer (20-25) if its too bright for a dark room. I set black level at 48 so the blacks are just a tad deeper without losing anything.

Note you will have to manually change the picture setting for every input and several app types for general consistency of the image across use. -Apps (general apps, open music app to set this) -Apps Video (youtube, netflix, video app ect) - Apps photo (album). Use game mode instead of custom for HDMI inputs and game or graphics for a PC.

Also change the sound adjustments.. I recommend turning off clear audio+ and any other processing.. if you have a sound system let that process the sound and not your tv.

On the PS4 side you dont have to change anything, leave it all at automatic. PS4 plays very well with this TV.

Turn on file sharing on your network and give the tv access for all of the PC's videos, music and pictures. you can also right click the content on your pc and select cast to device. Also pair a dualshock4 controller to the tv, makes getting around on it much quicker and saves your remotes battery for when you really need it like voice search.

Toe-Knee

Anyone else getting really bad battery life on the remote?

I have the XBR49X900E.

I've had the XD8305 since December and the voice search gets used loads searching for things for my son and I haven't had to change them yet.

Edit; just remembered I did lose the remote for about a month during that time though.

Grumbul

Based in the UK and I'm having serious issues trying to figure out what on earth is what. The naming conventions are just bonkers.

I'm looking at BRAVIA KD43XE8004? Is this even similar?

I basically need to buy a 4k HDR set with as low a latency as possible for a PC/PS4 Pro monitor.

Going crazy looking at all the different models!

Madness

It is basically the X800E.

Not that hard honestly. Sony 6 series numbers are bare bones low models. 7 series is low to mid. 8 series is mid. 9 series is high end. Then you have their annual naming letters. A few years ago they had the A and then B and C. Last year was D. This year is E.

In the UK, you guys do have the worst, so go by the by first two numbers and letters. An X3E8505 would mean it is an 850 series E model. An XE8005 means it is an X800E. The numbers before the 8 denote screen size. I don't really like IPS in televisions. This years 43X800E is worse than last years 43X800D. But at this screen size, beggars can't be choosers. Nothing really better out.

oni-link

To all who have this TV and use a soundbar with it:

Do you guys connect your bar to your TV via HDMI ARC or an optical cable?

Which one do you find works better?

Toe-Knee

To all who have this TV and use a soundbar with it:

Do you guys connect your bar to your TV via HDMI ARC or an optical cable?

Which one do you find works better?

Optical but that's because it's the only non analogue option my soundbar has.

Not had an issue.

Arc has the benefit of being able to disable the TV speakers and have the soundbar function using the TV remote.

Con Con

This thread has been helpful in my research. My 1080p set is dying and it's a good excuse to jump to 4K. My budget isn't too high, between $600-$800. I'm torn between the 50" Vizio M series XLED or the 49" X800D. Anyone here try to Vizio? it's $100 cheaper with a similar review on rtings.

do any streaming apps support 4k/hdr on this tv? Ive been looking around and it looks like amazon video and Vudu dont. Vudu seems to be mostly on samsungs

Top Bottom