• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Gamescom Media Briefing On "Release Plans for PlayStation 4"

dc89

I'd rather it be in November so that all the games can be on sale at launch rather than a handful and then a lot of the good stuff released shortly after the sale ends.

November makes sense for this reason and others. I guess we play the waiting game for now.

nib95

Banned
I'd rather it be in November so that all the games can be on sale at launch rather than a handful and then a lot of the good stuff released shortly after the sale ends.

Nah dude, that's awful. I'd rather it release early so I can spread my money over a longer period and hopefully buy more games as a result.

Nah dude, that's awful. I'd rather it release early so I can spread my money over a longer period and hopefully buy more games as a result.

We're talking a matter of like two weeks or so. If they do a B2G1 offer, it's going to be MUCH harder to pick three games at launch if not everything is out yet.

Radec

I just posted this in the other Sony Gamescom thread, but worth posting here as well:

according to gametrailers:

GamescomSony_SocialPromo_640x360.jpg

The Sony event will be 3 hours. I'm not sure if that includes some pre and post show stuff from gametrailers or Sony themselves, but suffice to say, they apparently have plenty to talk about.

EDIT: Thuway says the actual Sony presentation is only 1 hour. :(

lakers-reaction-kobe.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Why do "all" the games need to be released on day one? That really doesn't matter, and certainly isn't a reason to miss out on even just a one week headstart on the Xbox One. October 29th is perfect, in my opinion. It's relatively early and there will still be a solid line-up of games available.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm going to Cologne for Anuga is October, I would rather go to this :(

I wish the dates of the two events were closer so I could go to both.

Seriously? Another iteration of the same phone vs. the god damn Playstation 4!?

Think long and hard about what you are saying. Every new iPhone launch has topped the previous iPhone launch in sales. iPhone 5 sold close to 28 million units in the first 3 months of it's existence on the market. Sony and MS can only DREAM of getting to 28 million sold units within the first TWO YEARS COMBINED.

Think long and hard about what you are saying. Every new iPhone launch has topped the previous iPhone launch in sales. iPhone 5 sold close to 28 million units in the first 3 months of it's existence on the market. Sony and MS can only DREAM of getting to 28 million sold units within the first TWO YEARS COMBINED.

The release of a new iPhone is probably the biggest tech release of the year no matter when Apple chooses to release it.

Persona86

Banned
Most people get a contract right? I don't think ps4 has to worry about competing with the iphone.

Why do "all" the games need to be released on day one? That really doesn't matter, and certainly isn't a reason to miss out on even just a one week headstart on the Xbox One. October 29th is perfect, in my opinion. It's relatively early and there will still be a solid line-up of games available.

Because a sale is typically between Sunday through Saturday. Depending on when it launches, you get less than a week for sales on games. Not all the games have to be out, but the earlier it launches, the less likely some of the big games will be out like Watch Dogs, Call of Duty, and Assassin's Creed 4. Thus, it makes it a lot harder to get those games as part of the sale, plus if it's based on buying a set number of games, a lot harder to pick a set that qualifies. I'm willing to wait a slight bit if it means I can get my games for a 1/3rd off.

Liamario

Banned
I suspect that their launch details will disappoint for some reason. I have no facts or logical reason on which to base this opinion. My spider senses are just tingling
(it may just be blood flowing in my penis)

wizzbang

Banned
Sounds good, should be very interesting next week.

Also on a side note, Microsoft has CBOAT, Sony has Verendus, is the closest insider NeoGAF has for Nintendo Shikamaru Ninja?

Well to be fair, I doubt anyone who works for Nintendo Japan knows how to use the internet.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Because a sale is typically between Sunday through Saturday. Depending on when it launches, you get less than a week for sales on games. Not all the games have to be out, but the earlier it launches, the less likely some of the big games will be out like Watch Dogs, Call of Duty, and Assassin's Creed 4. Thus, it makes it a lot harder to get those games as part of the sale, plus if it's based on buying a set number of games, a lot harder to pick a set that qualifies. I'm willing to wait a slight bit if it means I can get my games for a 1/3rd off.
I'm confused. You're saying that those games will sell out during some hypothetical (black friday?) sale? Or that there's going to be a sale when the PS4 launches, and you want those games to be available for the sale? Do consoles usually have a sale when they launch? I've never heard of that, personally.

I'm confused. You're saying that those games will sell out during some hypothetical (black friday?) sale? Or that there's going to be a sale when the PS4 launches, and you want those games to be available for the sale? Do consoles usually have a sale when they launch? I've never heard of that, personally.

I'm saying typically there is a sale on games right at launch and I want as many games as possible available to take advantage of the sale. Depending on what the requirement may be on the number of games you have to purchase, this could be pretty key. Yes, consoles usually have game sales when they launch. The last four launches have all had stellar game sales. PSP, 3DS, Wii U and Vita all had great deals. I expect nothing less than some sort of game sale for PS4 and Xbox One games at their respective launches. Pre-ordering games is silly because of this very reason.

I'm saying typically there is a sale on games right at launch and I want as many games as possible available to take advantage of the sale. Depending on what the requirement may be on the number of games you have to purchase, this could be pretty key. Yes, consoles usually have game sales when they launch. The last four launches have all had stellar game sales. PSP, 3DS, Wii U and Vita all had great deals. I expect nothing less than some sort of game sale for PS4 and Xbox One games at their respective launches. Pre-ordering games is silly because of this very reason.

Hopefully, Amazon price matches those sales.

harSon

Banned
One hour makes it sound like they don't have an awful lot to show.

You can fit a lot within an hour. Microsoft's e3 conference was pretty content filled and it was only an hour. But considering Sony's is split between three platforms, and the fact that they may be unveiling their release plans and haven't really shown off much of the operating system, that might eat into allotted game related time a bit. Who knows though, I hope they surprise me and have a hell of a show, because the lineup could definitely use some reinforcing. I'm still reluctant that they have further launch/launch window games to come out, considering that we're potentially 2-3 months out from launch. Seems like too little of a window to unveil and release a game.

I think people may be expecting a little too much from Sony at Gamescom though, especially with TGS and Spike VGA around the corner as well.

SgtCobra

No leaks, no teases, no rumors. Where they at?
Okay, we got that they would reveal the release date next week, but that's pretty obvious.

daoster

He also said there's a KH game for the PS4 to be released in 2014 and specifically said not KH3. Where is that KH game?

If you go back and his post, most of the things abour E3 is wrong.

On my phone right now so can't really check back old posts, but mods are usually on top of it when it comes to verifying so called "insiders," and he hasn't been banned yet, so...take that how you will!

I personally hate leaks. I miss the days of going into a major expo blind and coming out of it surprised.

Agreed. I prefer to be surprised by conferences, conventions, and announcements. There is nothing like the excitement and hype that goes with a big surprise.

daoster

You can fit a lot within an hour. Microsoft's e3 conference was pretty content filled and it was only an hour. But considering Sony's is split between three platforms, and the fact that they may be unveiling their release plans and haven't really shown off much of the operating system, that might eat into allotted game related time a bit. Who knows though, I hope they surprise me and have a hell of a show, because the lineup could definitely use some reinforcing. I'm still reluctant that they have further launch/launch window games to come out, considering that we're potentially 2-3 months out from launch. Seems like too little of a window to unveil and release a game.

I think people may be expecting a little too much from Sony at Gamescom though, especially with TGS and Spike VGA around the corner as well.

How long was the Sony E3 conference again?

I think Sony is gonna show a montage of PS3 stuff + maybe a trailer for the bigger stuff (like Beyond Two Souls), show logos of upcoming Vita games, MAYBE a trailer for a Vita game, if you're lucky, and then BAM, focus the rest on PS4.

No need to talk about Sony Movies, no need to talk about price much, no need to talk about DRM-free, just straight up games and release dates, since most the meaty stuff was taken care of @ E3.

harSon

Banned
How long was the Sony E3 conference again?

I think Sony is gonna show a montage of PS3 stuff + maybe a trailer for the bigger stuff (like Beyond Two Souls), show logos of upcoming Vita games, MAYBE a trailer for a Vita game, if you're lucky, and then BAM, focus the rest on PS4.

No need to talk about Sony Movies, no need to talk about price much, no need to talk about DRM-free, just straight up games and release dates, since most the meaty stuff was taken care of @ E3.

It was either an hour and a half or two hours. I think it was the former.

There won't be any retail launch window games announced. What has been announced is pretty much what we'll get. I do, however, expect some PSN announcements.

SgtCobra

I personally hate leaks. I miss the days of going into a major expo blind and coming out of it surprised.
I can understand where you're coming from but atleast rumors always get the discussion going till the initial reveal, the hype and speculation that ensues is an amazing ride before these sort of events. Leaks aren't really necessary though, so yeah I agree.

Just one hour sucks though, I'm not going to expect too much, maybe 2 new reveals at best.

Top Bottom