• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan : ‘Giving away stuff on day one… it’s kind of odd.’

Makes sense to me. If preorders for your product are strong you shouldn't have to make a deal with a publisher to pack in a game for free with preorder. If anything it only hints at the situation being worse than expected so they needed something to help. Otherwise what's the point? To be charitable? Lol And this is vastly different to pack in games from yesteryear where it was included in every purchase, this is just for preorders. Which only strengthens Jim Ryan's statement.

There is nothing butt hurt about that statement, that is just an observation any average Joe can make.

These thread titles have to stop. Zero context and what he said actually made sense. It was basically "We have a great enough line up that we are going to completely sell out, why would be greenlight a free pack in for the console on top of that?"

Melchiah

Am I the only one that remembers when console launches included a free game in the box?

I guess that was before I moved on to consoles from C64 & Amiga. I only remember there being a demo disc with PS1. I think you got one sent to you with PS2, after you registered the system.

Now there's five F2P games on PS4 at launch though.

This question is the most interesting to me.

GC: You’ve said PlayStation 4 pre-orders are over 1 million now, but do you know roughly what they’re at? I don’t know if you have access to that sort of information?

JR: We don’t actually. We obviously talk to retailers, who quite properly will not share precise numbers with us but who are typically prepared to give an indication of how the land lies. And it varies from retailer to retailer and it varies from country to country, but I’m not hearin’ of too many places at all – at all – where they’re ahead of us.

I just came across this tweet from one of the IGN tech editors but I'm unable to create a thread for it...

"Some concerning facts: Sony has yet to show a functioning PS4 or a hands-on Remote Play demo with under three months until launch." - Scott Lowe

Is this seriously true? I'm pretty sure retail units have been demoed on?

Remote play is a proven feature on PS3 and Vita already so I wouldn't be concerned about that. As for the other, I believe Adam Boyes had a production model at the E3 Giantbombcast. He said it was one of the first created IIRC.

QaaQer

haha, true enough.

Yeah I was sort of arriving at that conclusion on my own in the very quote you showed. Still, I think since gamers win whenever they get 'free' stuff, it's worth praising :D

no doubt, just don't impute motives like MS is rewarding the faithful, it's improper.

Tobor

It is odd, but not for the reasons he is saying. With the low amount of consoles that seem to be available for launch they probably would be sold out regardless, so they didn't need to add FIFA to encourage launch orders they can't supply.

So credit for doing it and for putting the headset back in also.

They weren't going to sell out in Europe. Hence the Fifa pack in. It's worth the money to them to avoid the perception problems caused by leaving units on the shelf at launch.

Great interview. Hard hitting questions and Jim didn't really back down from any of them. Also, I wouldn't think it had to be explained but of course the comment about about MS is just a cleaned up shot.

Gnub

Based on the context he seems to be saying, "why give away free stuff when demand already out paces supply? " Which makes sense. They give away free stuff to increase demand.

Also, aren't there a few free to play game for PS4 launch?

It's only odd because they aren't doing it.

I don't think they need to talk about Microsoft anymore.

EmptySpace recalls Sony only having talked about Microsoft twice. Once at E3, once at Gamescom.

It is daily exposure to positive Sony and negative Microsoft opinions that Alienous thinks Sony is trash-talking competition for so many times when in fact they've only done it twice.

Based on the context he seems to be saying, "why give away free stuff when demand already out paces supply? " Which makes sense. They give away free stuff to increase demand.

Yeah, but it's kind of different: Sony isn't including anything to incentivize Day One-ers. They're kind of taking potshots at MS for having to do so to drive their sales.

Sure, the PS4 comes with that Playroom thing, and there are F2P games and Driveclub you can download if you choose, but these things aren't there to convince everyone to pre-order the PS4.

It's like..Wii Sports. No one pre-ordered the Wii for Wii Sports, it just came in there (and..then subsequently took over the world.) Wii Sports

No doubt the FIFA bundle in EU will help MS gain a few supporters. But Sony has an iron grip on that region anyway, so I'm not sure how much good it'll do them in the long run.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Good interview, some real questions asked. Although I always hate it when people say that the DualShock analog stick placement is inferior as if it's a fact. Its not, it's just preference and habit. I have no problem with it at all. In fact, I prefer it (because, again, habit). And the DS4 seems to make it even less of an issue by separating the sticks more (no more thumbs-bumping!) and making the controller much more ergonomic overall. People who have actually held it seem to love it.

Yes. One of them, Planetside 2 isn't ready to show yet. I doubt it makes it out at launch now.

Yeah of course, one of the most used marketing 'tool' is odd... Come one Sony -_-

And giving away stuff even on day one is still a good move, especially when you launch one or two weeks after. Also, the free game (Fifa 14) will be one of the top selling game in Europe for the last quarter, this could convince a lot of people. At least it makes the 100€ less hard to accept.

Melchiah

Good interview, some real questions asked. Although I always hate it when people say that the DualShock analog stick placement is inferior as if it's a fact. Its not, it's just preference and habit. I have no problem with it at all. In fact, I prefer it (because, again, habit). And the DS4 seems to make it even less of an issue by separating the sticks more (no more thumbs-bumping!) and making the controller much more ergonomic overall. People who have actually held it seem to love it.

A friend of mine who was at Gamescom said the same, eventhough he mostly plays on the 360.

Curufinwe

Polygon's doing their part too

They're just concerned that Sony won't be able to meet its announced release date for the PS4.

They have no such concerns for Microsoft because Microsoft haven't announced a release date for the Xbox One.

But it’s the position of the analogue sticks. Luckily I have dainty feminine hands but for those that don’t they’re just poorly placed.

So tired of hearing this opinion presented as some kind of objective fact.

Wynnebeck

Banned

I could have sworn that SOE said that the title would be released after launch, but they were hoping to have it released as quickly as possible.

LOL at the people trying to make Ryan sound salty. He's saying if your pre-order numbers are where they need to be, you wouldn't have to try and bribe customers with a free game like MS is doing with FIFA. Isn't going to stop the inane comments being posted in here though.

LOL at the people trying to make Ryan sound salty. He's saying if your pre-order numbers are where they need to be, you wouldn't have to try and bribe customers with a free game like MS is doing with FIFA. Isn't going to stop the inane comments being posted in here though.

Yea, I don't get it either. He answered the question honestly. We all know there'd be no incentive if the pre-order numbers were up to MS' expectations.

I don't really understand the issue with his answers. They seemed pretty honest, and Sony already seems to have multiple bundles available to fit anyone in the market for a PS4.

They don't really need to do anything more at the moment.

I just don't see some companies that make multiplatform games spending the extra resources and money on making things for Kinnect if they don't have to. Especially if they are in a time crunch.
Wrong thread?
But I agree to an extent. I'm more excited for what indies build for motion gaming.

I would think giving away something for free applies to something that would normally cost money away for nothing, not comparable to already F2P games and games only given away with a subscription.

BigDug13

I could have sworn that SOE said that the title would be released after launch, but they were hoping to have it released as quickly as possible.

And how do you give away a f2p title

You give away a f2p title by not putting it behind the paywall. Since MS does, we have to make the distinction as simply saying "f2p" doesn't necessarily mean truly free on consoles.

I know, taking a dig at MS because they're giving a game away. I mean, what else could he say though? You know Sony isn't going to follow MS and give away a free game.
Well he's not really taking a dig at them because of the fact they're giving away a free game, he's taking a dig at why he thinks Microsoft deem it necessary to do so in the first place.

As for agies, someone should remind him that he has no idea what he's talking about.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They weren't going to sell out in Europe. Hence the Fifa pack in. It's worth the money to them to avoid the perception problems caused by leaving units on the shelf at launch.

the thing I'm confused about is this: MS announce FIFA for euro preorders. Metro asks Sony why they aren't doing it too.

why aren't websites asking MS why they need an incentive to preorder? Asking them how low their preorders are? Maybe talking to retailers?

there is a potential story there but all the sites are doing is just regurgitating the MS press release no questions asked

Top Bottom