• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan : ‘Giving away stuff on day one… it’s kind of odd.’

tirminyl

I enjoyed that interview. I am still puzzled how people have a problem with the left analog stick but not a problem with the location of the right one.

katkombat

Banned
LOL at the people trying to make Ryan sound salty. He's saying if your pre-order numbers are where they need to be, you wouldn't have to try and bribe customers with a free game like MS is doing with FIFA. Isn't going to stop the inane comments being posted in here though.

Kinda a Sony fanboy so making him sound salty wasn't my intention at all.

Troll

Banned
The Destiny exclusive content is timed? Thanks for saving me $399! I was seriously considering buying the PS4 for that game, but since there's genuinely nothing else on that console that I want... I'll just keep my money. Maybe Naughty Dog will sway me as long as they don't ruin Uncharted with some uninspired adventure and send Drake looking for Atlantis. You're better than that, ND.

As a big PlayStation supporter, FuturLab has already brought some games to PlayStation Minis, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Vita, and they’ll be doing a dual release when Velocity 2X comes to the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita.

Back when Velocitu Ultra and Coconut Dodge: Revitalised launched on the Vita in Europe, they were both offered for free as part of the PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection. Explaining to GI.Biz how Sony approaches developers and publishers to put their games free in the PS+ Instant Game Collection (which was partially explained to PSLS by Red Barrels Games) is Kirsty Rigden, Lead Game Designer at FuturLab:

They come to you with a deal. They say, we’ll give you this much money if we can have the game for free, or exclusive, or money off, or a combination. There are a lot of different ways you can do it. The amount of money that they’ll suggest will be relevant to the package.

James Marsden, Managing Director at FuturLab, added:

They call it a guaranteed sales buyout. It’s like looking at guaranteed downloads – you discuss a deal up front and decide if it’s worth it. For us it was less about money and more about exposure, especially with a sequel coming.

Rigden then mentioned how “the Minis title [Ed. she is likely referencing when Velocity was free on PS+ a ways back] was over 120,000 downloads. We don’t know if all those people played it, or if they’d have bought it otherwise, but we do at least know that they all know it exists, which is amazing. I’m not sure what figures we would have done without it. We get a chunk of cash, that’s nice, thank you, but so many people get to know about us and play our games. It’s the ultimate demo, really. We’re very much looking at things long term, not just looking to make a quick buck on sales.”

katkombat

Banned
The Destiny exclusive content is timed? Thanks for saving me $399! I was seriously considering buying the PS4 for that game, but since there's genuinely nothing else on that console that I want... I'll just keep my money. Maybe Naughty Dog will sway me as long as they don't ruin Uncharted with some uninspired adventure and send Drake looking for Atlantis. You're better than that, ND.

LOL

He comes off as condescending in that interview. Maybe it's just the way it is edited...

not relevant at all. just bothered me while reading it

I felt the same way, seriously, whats his deal. I'm not being hyperbolic when i say this is near Mattrick levels of obliviousness.

SeanR1221

Meanwhile Sony is giving away Drive + and PS4's to GS managers.

Giving away stuff is weird, guys!

What happened to actually being competitive and not just trashing your competition verbally?

Wynnebeck

Banned

Troll
(Yesterday, 11:05 PM)

Zephyrus

Banned
itjqLqwWowdFZ.gif

KuGsj.gif

I see it as not much difference when Sony went all out following the hacking fiasco. MS is trying to curry favour with potentially scorned customers. The FIFA pack-in is a smart move.

pretty sure that gif is backwards.

Microsoft has changed their policies with the system but fact is, most people only know of the xbox one as that system that tried to screw gamers. It was shown on national television.
Most people don't follow gaming news, so when the system does launch, microsoft better prepare some serious advertisement saying just what changed since E3.

SeanR1221

pretty sure that gif is backwards.

Microsoft has changed their policies with the system but fact is, most people only know of the xbox one as that system that tried to screw gamers. It was shown on national television.
Most people don't follow gaming news, so when the system does launch, microsoft better prepare some serious advertisement saying just what changed since E3.

From talking to people around me, most know a XB1 and PS4 are coming and thats about it. Nothing on policies, DRM and all that. They only know its coming because of the ads on their current systems.

If the system launched then they did a 180 it would be different. As it stands your average consumer wont know or care. Bank on it.

Zephyx

Two reasons i can think of why MS is doing this:

1) Competition and mindshare from the region. Europe is Sonyland so getting at least a portion of that pie and letting a few people spread the good word about their platform should at least boost adoption rate of the console.
2) If they are entering a market with a hardware of 499 Euros/USD, I believe they are not initially selling at a loss. They are sacrificing some of their profit by having a free pack-in game for Europe in exchange of market potential. Remember that 499USD != 499EUR. A common business tactic but strange indeed as a next-gen console should be guaranteed to sell out on launch.

Sony should also be able to do this but I believe they are confident in the value they are delivering for $399/399EUR and they want to maximize profits.

I believe Sony does not need to match MS but they need to justify to early adopters or console "shifters" that they made the right choice choosing their platform. A 1-2 month PS+ freebie is a win-win situation for Sony as it will prove to early adopters they can at least match MS' infrastructure (if they can deliver) and entice new customers to possibly extending their subscription.

We'll eventually see how this pans out.

Top Bottom