• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's refund policy for broken PSN titles is ludicrous and hilarious.

I've gotten a refund 2 out of the 3 I've asked for one but the effort I had to go through for one that was a billing error on their part was ridiculous. They really need to implement an actual refund policy like everyone else is doing. Although as digital media grows I imagine it won't be long until they're forced to.

That said, an easy way to protect yourself against stuff like this is to stop buying games day 1 and properly research the ones you do buy. It's sad to say but you shouldn't assume that a game is going to be playable, wait a week or so and wait for a bunch of reviews before buying. If a few reviews mention performance issues then just hold off until they're fixed. I'm guilty of not doing this at times but it's something that more people should do.

BiggNife

It really feels like whether or not you'll get a refund on psn is dependent on which customer service person you get.

I would call again and not mention the original call. Chances are you'll get a different response.

Like Durante said, this is what happens when a company doesn't have a clear cut refund policy.

Regarding that "darkness" bug on Hellblade, I had that too. Just go forward with your character, start walking forward and don't stop, making small adjustments to your path if needed (you'll pass that monument to the left, then go down a road all the way to a gate, once you pass it it turns back to normal). Never happened again since. It's shitty and made me frustrated as well, specially since there's no way to avoid it once it happens, but you can still go through it without much challenge.

Kieli

The government needs to step in and enforce protection of consumer rights.

Faulty or buggy software is no different than defective, physical merchandise. If it is not performing as intended, then the consumer deserves a refund. The specifications of what constitutes "not working as intended" shall be left to the discretion of legal experts and policy makers.

Retailers are also allowed to give “reasonable time” in which to repair a faulty product, a patch will probably appear soon

This is what I was thinking. I think you're entitled to a refund or a fix for the product. If a digital tile is faulty and a fix is being developed in the form of a patch, that is entirely reasonable, and a development team should be allowed adequate time to generate a fix, which in the case of a console release, also includes the time needed to get a patch through certification procedures of the platform holder.

Now, what adequate time means is not clear and worthy of further discussion, probably, but in my opinion the... 10 (?) Days hellblade as been out for is certainly less than where I'd draw the line, however, that also obviously varies heavily person by person

Yeah they suck, maybe a class action lawsuit would change that. They obviously aren’t used to refunds and dread how much use it gets in Steam.

Top Bottom