• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur 4 (PS3) -- Not a 6.7GB Install + 2GB Save

h3ro

:lol

I just realized what a clusterfuck its going to be for cheaters to download save files off of gamefaqs....

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Speevy said:
With all the extra space of an upgradable hard drive, they may as well let you install the Xbox 360 version too. No reason to leave Yoda out.

Awesome man just awesome.

Speevy

Banned
MarkMan said:
GAMEPLAY

That is what matters.

And installation value. You have to rate the amount of content that gets installed. That's how you know the developer is looking out for you.

Some games just install data that you can't see, for the sole purpose of performance. The tangibility of the PS3's installation is what makes all the difference. You wouldn't pull a chicken out of the oven before it was cooked any more than you should play a game before it's installed.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
that 6.7GB has to be the entire size of the disk. I'm guessing the save file is 2MB and this is all a misunderstanding. Not interested in it either way. If true though...:lol

jjasper said:
The 360 version requires a HDD so I doubt the save file is 2MB

I'm actually glad it forces the HDD on 360 though. I'm sick of the Core holding devs back. MS should have forced the HDD on Core customers with a subsidised incentive ages ago.

Durante

As a PC gamer let me be the first to quote Imoen: "I care not."

(Seriously, I don't see the big issue. If the PS3 HD weren't cheaply extensible it would be somewhat troubling though)

MercuryLS

Banned
If the installs are that big for a fucking fighting game, I won't buy it out of principle. I can understand installs for some games (GTAIV, MGS4). But for something like SC, it's just lazy ass coding. Sony needs to clamp down on this shit, now.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Why doesnt a game journalist ask sony why they allow this if its such a problem?

For me personally, idc. 250 gb hdd ftw.

But i can see why people make such a big deal out of it, why has this NEVER come up in a interview? LET THEIR VOICES BE HEARD!

Gekko87

h3ro said:
:lol

I just realized what a clusterfuck its going to be for cheaters to download save files off of gamefaqs....
They can lock it actually. Rock Band's save file is locked, at least for me.

Durante said:
As a PC gamer let me be the first to quote Imoen: "I care not."

(Seriously, I don't see the big issue. If the PS3 HD weren't cheaply extensible it would be somewhat troubling though)

i care, because the ps3 was expensive enough. i shouldn't need to upgrade my hdd (hidden costs lol) because of mandatory installs.

Deegs

Looks like I'm going to have to buy that 160GB HDD after all, was hoping I could manage through the rest of this year but I guess not.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Errrrr

At the point at which your games are taking up 1/8 of the harddrive of your largest available system, you need to cap that shit, yo

xemumanic

PLUS an install? :lol :lol :lol :lol

You've got to be kidding me. This and the revelation that the PS3 version suffered from slowdowns until recently doesn't bode well for this title.

Forsete

Gold Member
Angry Grimace said:
Errrrr

At the point at which your games are taking up 1/8 of the harddrive of your largest available system, you need to cap that shit, yo

I thought they did? 5GB, at least according to GAF.

sprocket

Banned
Why do people think the 360 will not have a 2gig save file if the ps3 does? its the same game! Hardware doesnt effect the save system. :/

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
:lol :lol :lol

If this is real and the 360 save file is also that big I am gonna laugh so fucking hard :lol :lol

Seriously, time to get a overpriced 120GB HD for my 360 =(

[Nintex]

sprocket said:
Why do people think the 360 will not have a 2gig save file if the ps3 does? its the same game! Hardware doesnt effect the save system. :/
It even requires the HDD which means that the save-file won't fit on a normal memory card and is indeed 2GB in size.

Ever downloaded a patch on PS3...ever downloaded a patch on 360?

(multiplattform for comparison of course)

Durante

The only reason to get annoyed if this is true would be the question of why MGS4 was refused (the option of) a full install.

Haunted

Sounds about right for a modern game.

Not a problem on the PC, where 200+ GB HDDs are common. Will be hard to accommodate installs and saves of that size for console gamers with 20/40GB HDDs, though.

Fridge .gifs incoming for the HD consoles?

Otheradam

Tiduz said:
Why doesnt a game journalist ask sony why they allow this if its such a problem?

For me personally, idc. 250 gb hdd ftw.

But i can see why people make such a big deal out of it, why has this NEVER come up in a interview? LET THEIR VOICES BE HEARD!

When has a game journalist ever asked a useful question like that before?

Damodar

I can't see this being true, but if it is, since it's Namco, maybe they'll let us play Pac-man while it installs. Pac-man > Sandwich. Incidentally, Namco are responsible for the best install of this gen. Ridge Racer 7, it's optional and while it installs, you play Xevious :D

ManaByte

Haunted One said:
Sounds about right for a modern game.

Not a problem on the PC, where 200+ GB HDDs are common. Will be hard to accommodate installs and saves of that size for console gamers with 20/40GB HDDs, though.

Fridge .gifs incoming for the HD consoles?

If a PC game required a 2gig save, people would be bitching too.

10-15gigs is still to high for a PC game install; look at Vanguard's 20gig.

Aladuf

Banned
WOW! That's a big ass game save and install, wtf? My PS3's 40 GB HDD is getting lower and lower way too fast.

Lo-Volt

Not so surprising since Namco has done this before with Ridge Racer 7. And I remember Ridge's loading being a painless experience for those who could spare the HDD space, but this is becoming a bit wasteful.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Seriously, I don't see the big issue. If the PS3 HD weren't cheaply extensible it would be somewhat troubling though

i think i need to have this moan in my tag: casual gamers are going to be turned off by this sort of thing, and -more importantly- people who don't upgrade are going to be hosed once Home/cross invites start becoming all the rage.

20 Gigaz :

"Wanna play Warhawk?"
"Sure, just need to install it - i have Lost Planet, GT5 and Soul Calibur installed. See you in 30 mins?"

10 seconds after finishing game

"Hey, wanna play Soul Calibur?!"
"Sure.... can you give me 30 mins?"

It's okay for people like us have upgraded, but they need to reel this in. :/

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I am still buying the game, but I will make sure that while I am installing the game, I will be making dinner for the family.

Top Bottom