• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur 20th Anniversary Trailer

After they fucked up SCV's story and got rid of so many good characters I wish for a reboot, or at least the game happens between IV and V.

I'm ready for SC6, but i doubt it will happen.

Would have been great to have SC to make the terrible wait for T7 more bearable too.

I will settle for a disc with every game from Soul Edge (remastered to 4k + 60fps if possible?) to Soul Calibur V included. All single player modes intact, and online play.

What a punch in the face to the fans. An old trailer already uploaded to YouTube is how they celebrate one of the best fighting game series ever? And on top of that, a pachinko machine announcement..... we all want a proper SCVI.

Happy 20th anniversary SoulCalibur, here's a new pachinko machine - maybe a 10% discount on SC2 HD and a Tales crossover costume too.
Sad thing is that'd still be better than what most recent neglected franchise anniversaries have been recently.

OSHAN

SCV was amazing, but no one bought it. I'm unfortunately in the fan camp of taking what I can get now, but I'm not expecting much.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Hopefully we get a reboot that focuses on the iconic characters and tones down some of the boobs. Soul Calibur became a cheap parody of itself from SC4 onwards, they need to return to the spirit of the first 2 games.

Malice215

SCV was amazing, but no one bought it. I'm unfortunately in the fan camp of taking what I can get now, but I'm not expecting much.

More people bought SCV than SFV. If it wasn't light on single player, it would have sold even more.

Hopefully we get a reboot that focuses on the iconic characters and tones down some of the boobs. Soul Calibur became a cheap parody of itself from SC4 onwards, they need to return to the spirit of the first 2 games.

SCV was the reboot which they also toned down the boobs, which meant losing characters like Taki and Setsuka.

What SC really needs is identity. The series went from being a Tekken clone to one of the best games in the history of fighting games to relying on guest characters and other gimmicks to get people to notice. Many wouldn't have found out how good SC2 was if Link wasn't in the game.

If they go back to basics with a solid roster, solid gameplay, and solid single player content, they'll have a hit.

EVOL 100%

SCV had the best gameplay since 2 as far as I'm concerned, so I don't know wtf people are talking about SCV having bad gameplay. SCIII focused too much on single player content and it showed and SCIV was slow as molasses, but they got it right in SCV. The new mechanics were quite well implemented (compare that to the laughable critical finishes of SC4).

They nailed the mechanics and the netcode, which are the most important aspects of fighting games, and are only the things that I really give two shits about, but the single player aspects are what brought in the casual base in the first place. As much as this pains me to say this, they need to focus resources on more robust single player modes, and a story mode that is actually coherent. Some fan service in the forms of popular guest characters and bringing back older characters would help too.

SCV had the best gameplay since 2 as far as I'm concerned, so I don't know wtf people are talking about SCV having bad gameplay. SCIII focused too much on single player content and it showed and SCIV was slow as molasses, but they got it right in SCV. The new mechanics were quite well implemented (compare that to the laughable critical finishes of SC4).

They nailed the mechanics and the netcode, which are the most important aspects of fighting games, and are only the things that I really give two shits about, but the single player aspects are what brought in the casual base in the first place. As much as this pains me to say this, they need to focus resources on more robust single player modes, and a story mode that is actually coherent. Some fan service in the forms of popular guest characters and bringing back older characters would help too.

the fact they also dropped some og characters also drove some of the veterans away for a double blow.

I'd love a Soul Calibur VI... but releasing in 2017 would be nuts. That's already a packed year for major fighting games... similar to how this year was for shooters.

RM8

Since a new game would target PS4 first and foremost, I wonder if a Switch version would even be possible, considering the power gap. The good thing is that, were it to exist, it'd likely get a PC version because Bamco is awesome like that, lately.

klier

Soul Calibur 1 on the Dreamcast still is my no 1 fighting game of all time.

I stopped playing the series after SCII (got the GCN version because of Link).

Will buy again if they release VI. On either PS4 Pro or Nintendo Switch (hope they launch it on the Switch too).

Pfff, it's been close to 20 years. And really I haven't played any fighters since. Didn't like any.

Teletraan1

Banned
The first two games are my jam. I really didn't care for any of the later entries. They need to go back to the 1-2 cast and and tone down some of the stuff that makes people eyeroll. Go make a beach volleyball game if you are just pushing tit jiggle tech. I miss the ridiculous announcer from 1. He had some of the best lines ever. Welcome back to the stage of history was great.

I hope they go back to a more 1 or 2 style game. I actually like SC5 quite a bit, but the supers really changed the flow of the game. There's beauty in the base simplicity of 1 and 2 that I'd love to see them go back to.

Just watching the trailer again...

That Bandai Namco Entertainment logo with the shield is new right? That slash sound is also the old sound effect when you picked a mode. It would be odd to create a new Soul Calibur specific Bandai Namco logo just for an anniversary trailer.

Something is definitely cooking... whether it be some re-releases or SC6.

Ironic given how my soul burns for another great Soul Caliber. Hell, a mega collection remastered for new machines would be enough. I've got money.

VF2%20BEST%20ROLL.gif

EVOL 100%

The first two games are my jam. I really didn't care for any of the later entries. They need to go back to the 1-2 cast and and tone down some of the stuff that makes people eyeroll. Go make a beach volleyball game if you are just pushing tit jiggle tech. I miss the ridiculous announcer from 1. He had some of the best lines ever. Welcome back to the stage of history was great.

They already cut down on the mega sexualised thing in SC5 to SC1/SC2 levels. Hell, Ivy's outfit had never been so modest and Taki's replacement didn't have nipples bulging out of her outfit(ugh). I think they realised that they fucked up in SC4 because it was actually embarrassing to play that game around people.

Malice215

the fact they also dropped some og characters also drove some of the veterans away for a double blow.

It sucks but the series drops characters all the time, while others just create their own. The real problem is the lack of single player on top of a bad story

I'd love a collection, remaster of 2 or 4, or a new entry in the series.

They already remastered 2, and you can get SC1 and SC2 on the Xbone. There's not much interest in going back, so it's time for a new game.

I'd love a Soul Calibur VI... but releasing in 2017 would be nuts. That's already a packed year for major fighting games... similar to how this year was for shooters.

They could release in late 2017 which only has Marvel. By then people will be thirsty for a new 3D fighter after they had their fill of Tekken 7.

Since a new game would target PS4 first and foremost, I wonder if a Switch version would even be possible, considering the power gap. The good thing is that, were it to exist, it'd likely get a PC version because Bamco is awesome like that, lately.

Namco put out Tekken Tag 2, Smash 4, and Pokken on the Wii U, so I'm sure they'll put stuff out on the Switch.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Let it be more like SC4 and less SC5.

Nah. I'd rather it play good. SCV all day over SCIV.

The first two games are my jam. I really didn't care for any of the later entries. They need to go back to the 1-2 cast and and tone down some of the stuff that makes people eyeroll. Go make a beach volleyball game if you are just pushing tit jiggle tech.
Funny thing is SC2 introduced torpedo tit Taki and also introduced ass jiggle as a feature.

SCV's toned that down tons.

Garlador

It sucks but the series drops characters all the time, while others just create their own.
I think part of my problem was their rationale infuriated me just a tad.

"Oh yes, Mitsurugi is back. He's a veteran of all the games! Huh? Taki? Oh, she's too old now. Way too old. I think ninja women retire at, what, age 40 or so? We gave her stuff to a new gal."

"Oh yes, Voldo is bad. Sure, he's about 70 or 80 at this point. And we decided Ivy doesn't age because of magic, so we can keep her in those outfits without making you recoil. Yes, yes, we know Talim would barely be in her late 20s or early 30s, but Ivy has something she doesn't have... wink wink."

The gameplay of SCV was solid. The roster was pretty polarizing and, I'll admit, pushed me away more than it drew me in.

Top Bottom