• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur 20th Anniversary Trailer

Pejo

This isn't going to be a popular opinion, but get rid of the character creator and bring back Edge Master mode.

I felt that the whole cast got watered down, and the game just became a "build-a-waifu-fighter" when character creation came into the picture.

Also, Edge Master was my absolute favorite single player fighting game mode. The unlocks were cool, and the challenges were varied enough. If they used the core from Soul Edge and then expanded on it, it could be really awesome for casual 3D fighter fans.

Nimby

Banned
If I had to rank the series it'd be like this

Overall fun:
SC2
SC3
SC4
SC
SE
SC5

Actual fighting:
SC2
SC5
SC3
SC
SC4
SE

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
This isn't going to be a popular opinion, but get rid of the character creator and bring back Edge Master mode.

Edgemaster Mode existed in 3 games without removing the CAS.

If they removed CAS, the reaction would be even harsher than SFV with the arcade mode.

ubercheez

The soul still burns.

I'm largely indifferent to fighters these days, but this is the one franchise that I'd make an exception for.

Pejo

Edgemaster Mode existed in 3 games without removing the CAS.

If they removed CAS, the reaction would be even harsher than SFV with the arcade mode.

Yea that's a fair point that one doesn't depend on the other, but I hate the watered down characterization in favor of customization that CAS brings in. Also, it's just another cheap way to get nickle-and-dimed for hats.

Can someone rank each entry? (I've only played the first two)

it depends on what you're looking for. i don't usually play these games for the single player content, and in terms of straight up gameplay mechanics I loved Soul Calibur V the most. that being said, the game also does not offer much in terms of single player longetivity. back in the day i actually sunk in a ton of time in Soul Calibur III's single player modes, so i'll offer that one up if that's what you're looking for.

edit: and bring back these two in the next game pls
Xpk8joi.jpg

Tyaren

Who over at Namco thought it was a great idea to celebrate the series' 20th anniversary by having stupid social media activities, a pachinko machine and trailers only focussing on the past? This promo farce in combination with not even announcing SC6 is more like a big fat slap to the face for fans of the series. Worst birthday ever! D:

Malice215

I think part of my problem was their rationale infuriated me just a tad.

"Oh yes, Mitsurugi is back. He's a veteran of all the games! Huh? Taki? Oh, she's too old now. Way too old. I think ninja women retire at, what, age 40 or so? We gave her stuff to a new gal."

"Oh yes, Voldo is bad. Sure, he's about 70 or 80 at this point. And we decided Ivy doesn't age because of magic, so we can keep her in those outfits without making you recoil. Yes, yes, we know Talim would barely be in her late 20s or early 30s, but Ivy has something she doesn't have... wink wink."

The gameplay of SCV was solid. The roster was pretty polarizing and, I'll admit, pushed me away more than it drew me in.

I think Talim being left out was more of a gameplay choice.

SCV's setting being pushed up 17 years conveniently gentrified characters like Taki and Setsuka, and classed things up by bringing in younger replacements which were polarizing. The western audience hates them while the Japanese audience loves them and why they headline this new pachinko game.

The characters that are integral are still in SCV, but there's not much of a story for people to identify with. Mitsu and Siegfried were aged, Maxi and Ivy have convenient excuses, malfestation keeps Tira and Voldo around, Cervantes is undead, etc.

Character creation is way too popular to get rid of.

What they need to do is build off the single player from Soul Blade, SC1 and SC3 and go from there.

it depends on what you're looking for. i don't usually play these games for the single player content, and in terms of straight up gameplay mechanics I loved Soul Calibur V the most. that being said, the game also does not offer much in terms of single player longetivity. back in the day i actually sunk in a ton of time in Soul Calibur III's single player modes, so i'll offer that one up if that's what you're looking for.

I sunked a ton of time in SC3's single player while I was in college before I started playing competitively. The game is still a ton of fun to play.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
If people hate fighting create-a-characters, just make it so they can't be used on ranked, and have an option to disable them when creating a room. That should fix the whole mess for everyone.

Creation mode in 5 was as disappointingly rushed as everything else in that game:

-More than half the parts from 4 were missing.
-Tons of item conflicts, even though the items that were allowed to go together clipped through each other like mad.
-Placing extra equipment desperately needed a 'back' and 'chest' separate category, as trying to get some of the parts on the back or on the front of the chest was pretty much impossible.
-Capes, belts and shoulder parts floating almost a foot away from the body...
-Only 8 stickers, and you couldn't scale width and height separately, only make the whole thing bigger or smaller (WTF).
-Tons of items didn't allow stickers to be placed on them at all. I'm looking at you, foot and DLC equipment.
-Some items would mirror the sticker on the opposite limb, while others don't (should be a toggle).
-DLC items were largely crap, item conflicts everywhere. Again, can't put stickers on a lot of stuff. Not only that, but armor sets you'd assume would be broken up into pieces like gauntlets, leggings, belts, shoulders, etc, came as one solid piece, TTT2 style. Ugh.

What do you think about selling the creation mode as a separate thing? That way it would cover the cost of adding all that extra stuff, without selling low quality bits piecemeal? Make it really crazy. But I guess people would see its omission at launch and say 'to hell with this'.

Garlador

The characters that are integral are still in SCV, but there's not much of a story for people to identify with. Mitsu and Siegfried were aged, Maxi and Ivy have convenient excuses, malfestation keeps Tira and Voldo around, Cervantes is undead, etc.

Meanwhile, Hilde hasn't aged a day either, despite 17 years passing and apparently bearing two children...

... The lack of story never did confirm if they were Siegfried's kids or not either.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Reading through this thread makes me sad that SC2 on GCN was actually the best selling version of SC2. People are more interesting in cameos than the actual games themselves.

Lets harp on this fact and not the fact that if you add up all 3 consoles it outsells it's predcessors quite a bit.

I hate on Sc2 but make no bones about it easily the most popular of anything the franchise has offered.

meerak

Man if there is another SC on the horizon...

SF lives, Tekken be back soon.. maybe now Soul Calibur... Virtua Fighter kinda playable in Yakuza...

Fighting Games strike back?

I'll never, EVER, forget seeing Soul Calibur for the first time at a friend's house. Had never seen a Dreamcast game, much less that one, and I was SHOCKED. Shocked to my core. I had never seen anything so beautiful and so smooth I truly, truly, could not believe what I was seeing.

NastyBook

The only guest character I'll accept at this point is Geralt.
While a good idea, the impending smug comments about Geralt finally being in a game with a good combat system would take over the conversation.

EDIT: What year will the be anniversary year for Battle Arena Toshinden? Let me tweet Gio Corsi...

DedValve

Banned
Who would be a good guest character? SCV was ace.

Hopefully they come up with better character designs.

EDIT: Yes to Geralt.

Garlador

Man if there is another SC on the horizon...

SF lives, Tekken be back soon.. maybe now Soul Calibur... Virtua Fighter kinda playable in Yakuza...

Fighting Games strike back?

I'll never, EVER, forget seeing Soul Calibur for the first time at a friend's house. Had never seen a Dreamcast game, much less that one, and I was SHOCKED. Shocked to my core. I had never seen anything so beautiful and so smooth I truly, truly, could not believe what I was seeing.
Lol. Funny enough, my first exposure was at a K*B Toys store for Soul Blade on PS1. They had a demo running. I remember some kids playing and his father going "you just hit that guy with a sword. How is he not dead?"

This was in 1996. I'd never seen graphics or backgrounds this good before (and the soundtrack REMAINS epic and better than most games).

LCGeek

formerly sane

Text book example of what any remastered or upgraded game should be. Had you told me that I would get SC DC after SC in the arcade on the playstation arcade architecture I would've been laughing at ya. Never converted so many to vga box at tournies the game was a looker on a 20" triniton while others were sporting small ugly ass tvs.

Ivan 3414

Everyone talking about SoulCalibur VI and I'm still waiting for SCIIHD on Switch. I need my Link

Reading through this thread makes me sad that SC2 on GCN was actually the best selling version of SC2. People are more interesting in cameos than the actual games themselves.

PS2 version eventually outsold the GCN version if it's any consolation

ReaperXL7

Not sure I'm ready for all the bitching about Ivy just yet. Would love a new game though if they put some effort into the so content again.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I miss this series. Haven't really been into it since 2, but I'd be happy to see the series come back.

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast is still probably my favorite 3D fighter ever. Went back to it a few months ago and it hasn't aged a day -- still plays flawlessly.

Fuck guest characters. And moreso if it means they get included over a proper Hwang, LiLong, Bangoo and other faces.

Guests are part of the problem as far as I'm concerned. Will never ever want them no matter well Link was implemented. I was perfectly fine until they ventured down this path.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The people who say SC2 is the best are the ones who were kids too young to buy or know what a dreamcast was ;_; Let alone play on PS1, let me tell you.

SC5 was a mess in terms of cut content, so i'm surprised it sold as much as it did considering the budget relative to TTT2

Steel

Banned
Damn it, I'm half-thinking they're just trying to keep hype alive just in case they ever do make another soulcal.

Shredderi

It actually outsold TTT2 IIRC.

Yeah I think that is indeed correct. That's pretty humiliating for TTT2 which had pretty much all of Namco's marketing force behind it compared to SCVI. My reasoning for buying SC6 instead of TTT2 at the time was that there are many hand to hand combat fighting games on the market but Soul Calibur with it's fantasy & weapon thing is pretty unique. In 3D space that is. And I like to make characters.

Meanwhile, Hilde hasn't aged a day either, despite 17 years passing and apparently bearing two children...

... The lack of story never did confirm if they were Siegfried's kids or not either.
From what I read in the character bios and SCV Artbook, they are Hilde's kids and are away from the battlefield to protect them. Siegfried is a "dear and loyal friend" whom she decides to aid in his quest to defeat Soul Edge.

I still believe that she and Siegfried hooked up. Cause I like it since she was one of the few (probably the only?) who was nice to Siegfried. Even forgiving him of the sin he committed years ago.

manakel

Speaking of single player, I had so much fun with the missions in Soul Calibur on the dreamcast when I was a kid. Unlocking all the characters and stages. Sad that single player content like that to unlock things is unlikely to exist again with DLC.

Within their art style, the difference between 18 and 35 isn't very big. Cheeks would be a bit more sunken in, which they did. Outside of that It's a lot of subtle details that they just don't portray on their textures.

I'm totally fine with that rather than Ivy's body "forgot to age".

Top Bottom