• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So like, I suck. I've played some 15 matches online and I'm around 3 rounds won total, without a single match one.

I know its generic, but any tips?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
i'm talkin relative to soul cal 4

SC V Cervy's better than SC IV Cervy. He can actually break a gauge now.

Astaroth's different but solid. High damage output and his be Bullrush gets super armor which in turn sets up nasty stuff. His main weakness is he lacks a fast punish.

Archon473

Any tips?

http://8wayrun.com/categories/soulcalibur-v-soul-arenas.86/

Find a character you like and read a guide on them. Learn your options from mid-range and close range. Learn what to do out of each option on hit or on block. Use frame data as a guide to know after each attack whether to continue your offense or switch to defense. After reading the Patroklos guide twice, my game improved tremendously. As with all fighting games, finding a comfortable character and practicing until they fit like a glove leads to victory. If you're having trouble with something specific to SCV's mechanics, ask here. I struggled for two days not knowing how to get up after being knocked down. Once that issue was solved and I learned when I should be offensive and when to be defensive, the game made sense and I've been persevering.

EVOL 100%

Any PS3 players in East Asia? My PSN is Cho-EVOL, hook me up.

After playing with Sieg since 3, I finally found out how Chiefhold can be used as a fucking great tool to sidestep vertical attacks. It was a revelation. Dat chiefhold+B damage. So good.

Oh, and does anybody know any good Alpha Pat players? I can do most of the Just Input attacks with no trouble, but his movelist seems to be pretty damn limiting. I seem to be playing the same way I've been playing since I've started him, and whenever I change my strategy I get demolished. Some good footage of Alpha Pat players would be appreciated.

Doomshine

they nerfed his balls which made for super sick combos

i'm sure there are other new sick combos tho..

Wasn't he banned from competitive play in SC4 because of said balls? I never played 4 so I wouldn't know, but he's definitely not a bad character in 5.

Can anyone identify the hood used on this Skeletor creation?

tumblr_m08kspkLdo1rp357do1_1280.jpg

I don't remember the name but there's only one hood that looks like that so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

That helps. Thanks. I haven't unlocked it yet, and I wanted to check it against a list of unlockables to see what level I'll have to be.

Wish I would have gotten into this game when it was new. It's sad to see that it doesn't have much community around it.

Siyou

So I beat story mode... What else can I do to gain level ups? The game seems pretty grindy if there's nothing else to really do otherwise...

Have an arcade stick with the turbo feature? ^^

The you can go to Arcade mode, put it on and easy and select Raphael.

From there bind the B attack to your X/A button and just have it on turbo. Just leave the game alone and you'll eventually get to a high rank without doing the grind. So much fun.

Siyou

Have an arcade stick with the turbo feature? ^^

The you can go to Arcade mode, put it on and easy and select Raphael.

From there bind the B attack to your X/A button and just have it on turbo. Just leave the game alone and you'll eventually get to a high rank without doing the grind. So much fun.

So, I should pretty much expect the game to play itself? :( What a terrible game.

Well you don't have to let it play by itself, you can also be the one pressing all those B attacks!

Yeah the SP content is lacking in this game :(

Legendary Souls mode and Quick Battles can help to level you up too by the way.

Siyou

Well you don't have to let it play by itself, you can also be the one pressing all those B attacks!

Yeah the SP content is lacking in this game :(

Legendary Souls mode and Quick Battles can help to level you up too by the way.

yeah, i've been tinkering with the QBs, they aren't too bad :)

RedSwirl

Just started playing again and I only now started to notice the microtransactions. Bitch move Namco, bitch move. How much is there that you can unlock just by playing the game?

Also, are the classic music tracks on PSN actually playable as background stage music? In that case I could see buying those, but not all that costume shit. The classic costume pack might've been nice if it wasn't two costumes from SCIV for $3.

DasRaven

Just started playing again and I only now started to notice the microtransactions. Bitch move Namco, bitch move. How much is there that you can unlock just by playing the game?

Also, are the classic music tracks on PSN actually playable as background stage music? In that case I could see buying those, but not all that costume shit. The classic costume pack might've been nice if it wasn't two costumes from SCIV for $3.

You can unlock the vast majority of CAS parts and all characters/styles/weapons just by playing the game. The supplemental DLC is really only "if you want it" for most players. I personally have bought several of the DLC packs because they helped complete CAS that I wanted to make, but I'll wait to buy the rest until a price drop/sale.

The music tracks you buy are available to play as stage themes during play and you can pick any song to play on any stage.

RedSwirl

You can unlock the vast majority of CAS parts and all characters/styles/weapons just by playing the game. The supplemental DLC is really only "if you want it" for most players. I personally have bought several of the DLC packs because they helped complete CAS that I wanted to make, but I'll wait to buy the rest until a price drop/sale.

The music tracks you buy are available to play as stage themes during play and you can pick any song to play on any stage.

So most of the DLC can be unlocked just by playing the game?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

You get a decent amount of stuff even without the DLC. The only DLC I've bought is for one reason:

http://youtu.be/IiaLpr9YNpg

I loves me some cornball gags. (The catsuit is not DLC BTW.)

Skilletor

lol. I met this guy online. He had this ridiculous Voldo outfit with a huge dick shaped thing on it, so I assumed he didn't know what he was doing. I beat him using 66b with natsu. He sends me a message about how I think I'm so good, and then he challenges me to a set. So he uses Ivy this time, beats me two games. I beat him the next game and he drops before I can kill him.

Now he's sending me essays talking about how scrubby I am, how much better Ivy used to be. lol.

So funny.

photo-3.jpg

Others from him:

while oki being - 30? as well as the 8wr input move delays 22_88B etc, and cant jump half times? not to mention how fuckin linear ivy became with weak ass dmg and whiffs

if only u met me on sc1-4 offline woof but no now im an underdog who broke a controller over ivy's ridiculous iCS input i was flashing hot the weeks when this game came out but even iCS easy to grab break like HOW BS THIS GAME IS i >barely< play it bcuz

magically i can easily lose & get CH on if i even move a muscle and have no choice but to cockblock cuz magically ivys frame aint as fast as sum1 like natsu so yep w/e this is sooo balanced i think im bout to jizz in my mouf cuz this game is GOODDD oh yea

At this point I said:

Y U MAD THO?

u dnt wanna accept the truth oh cuz u know its *** like u who hate ivy as much as this new **** director does n wooof i was so known n good for my ivy 1 of d best i was safe n would constant jfs but even online i cant jf for shit cuz u scrubs from those

*** ass 2d fighters especially kof and sf etc u ppl RUINED the large competitive popularity of sc that we wont hav another sc sold 300k while sciv sold 2.5M woooooo thx ALOT ***** u blocked im nt gonna read stupid fuck blocked

LOL!

Edited for slurs.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It's like Kinetic Clash and Link don't exist in his world...

Still don't get the backdash whining. Very few fighters let you scoot backwards for free with no risk.

Doomshine

if only u met me on sc1-4 offline woof but no now im an underdog who broke a controller over ivy's ridiculous iCS input i was flashing hot the weeks when this game came out but even iCS easy to grab break like HOW BS THIS GAME IS i >barely< play it bcuz

Buck Angel plays SoulCalibur?

Skilletor

It's like Kinetic Clash and Link don't exist in his world...

Still don't get the backdash whining. Very few fighters let you scoot backwards for free with no risk.

Link knocked me out at EVO.

He is now my mortal enemy. :/

And yeah, I actually didn't notice the change until people started pointing it out as a nerf in movement. For me, movement is so strong in SC that there should be a risk to it.

Link knocked me out at EVO.

He is now my mortal enemy. :/

And yeah, I actually didn't notice the change until people started pointing it out as a nerf in movement. For me, movement is so strong in SC that there should be a risk to it.
You move backwards? Because when we played it was like "HOLY SHIT GET THE FUCK OFFA MEEEEEE!!!" lol

RedSwirl

Okay I finally need to know: how the fuck do you get up off the ground in this game? For some reason it seems much harder than in any previous Soul Calibur. I seem to ALWAYS get combo'd half to death after getting knocked down.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Okay I finally need to know: how the fuck do you get up off the ground in this game? For some reason it seems much harder than in any previous Soul Calibur. I seem to ALWAYS get combo'd half to death after getting knocked down.

Rising in place with G is safest. Staying down also can make a lot of stuff whiff that'd otherwise catch you if you try to roll etc.

Aside from that, you just have to figure out if you're dealing with a mid or a low attack or possibly a throw and defend accordingly.

My power went out last night mid match and it somehow corrupted my save file. Was ranked around C2, probably 500+ matches under my belt from all the different modes. Player lvl 70 something, 20+ CAS creations all gone.

Feels bad man.

scosher

My power went out last night mid match and it somehow corrupted my save file. Was ranked around C2, probably 500+ matches under my belt from all the different modes. Player lvl 70 something, 20+ CAS creations all gone.

Feels bad man.

Losing the creations is definitely the shitty part. The rest can be attained pretty quickly. I have no idea why Project Soul didn't include a function so that we could save a CAS to a file or USB, so we can transfer it to a friend's PS3/Xbox, or to a new save file.

Losing the creations is definitely the shitty part. The rest can be attained pretty quickly. I have no idea why Project Soul didn't include a function so that we could save a CAS to a file or USB, so we can transfer it to a friend's PS3/Xbox, or to a new save file.

Yea thats def the worst part, especially because I have to re-unlock a whole bunch of pieces. Kind of annoying tbh.

I have a confession to make:

I hate the meter system. This is the most solid feeling SoulCalibur game ever but, as hard as I tried, I could just never get into the meter management thing.

Top Bottom