• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
CPS2, you are basically mistaking "the GAME feels like SC2" with "my character feels like in SC2". Try to think about this for now.
Depending on the character, that is a valid comment. Ivy, Taki, Maxi, and Mitsu for example all were capable of moving any direction while in stance. In SC V, stances have been simplified and Maxi for example is now very restricted in his PSL progression moreso than in any other version of the game.

I do think the way the game looks is closest to SCII. Seems closer to SC1 in terms of how it plays in a lot of a respects though.

Maxi was crazy good in SC1, OK in SC2, pretty good in SC3 and almost completely worthless in SC4. Just my take. In SC5 I think he'll be pretty solid.
I dunno. I'd put SC2 Maxi right about where SC IV Maxi is on the usefulness chart. Sure he could do more stuff, but he couldn't generate damage which made him not especially scary. Just a marginal opinion tho given the Euros insist he was godlike.

I loved how SC3 looked on PS2 despite the slowdown. It supported widescreen and 480p and looked great on me and my buddies tv's.

The backgrounds were so much better, with more going on and more color pop and variety. imo of course. Character models were pretty good too.

GrayFoxPL

Anyone else would love SC team try to make NEW fighting game?

I love Tekken, VF and all other fighting games, but I miss 90-ties where everyone tried to do something new every year.

Now we're like 30 year old fucks, playing 5th, 6th or 9th sequel in the series and we know developer will be making sequels to one game for the rest of their days.

Kinda sad, fg devs have such potential that if they were allowed they could make 10 new franchises of the SC, TK, or VF caliber.

Anyone else would love SC team try to make NEW fighting game?

I love Tekken, VF and all other fighting games, but I miss 90-ties where everyone tried to do something new every year.

Now we're like 30 year old fucks, playing 5th, 6th or 9th sequel in the series and we know developer will be making sequels to one game for the rest of their days.

Kinda sad, fg devs have such potential that if they were allowed they could make 10 new franchises of the SC, TK, or VF caliber.

New IPs are a real gamble these days what with development costs being as high as they are.

These days, new fighting games are going to be digital/smaller releases.

GrayFoxPL

lol, it was her sword causing the slowdown. Moves where it distorted and stretched caused framedrops on certain stages.

I thought it was the viewers "swords" that caused slowdown. ;)

New IPs are a real gamble these days what with development costs being as high as they are.

These days, new fighting games are going digital.

Yeah I know publishers won't allow any unsafe moves. Still it's downright miserable.

I want SC team to make a Star Wars or Berserk game. And make a Bushido Blade type game, with new characters.

I know 2 of those are established IP, heh. I do miss the 90's with new FG IP and experiments.

Maybe they could try and revisit something like Ninja Masters theme, with weapons being able to be knocked out of your hands or sheathed, and both having different movesets and that kinda stuff.

Skilletor

I thought it was the viewers "swords" that caused slowdown. ;)

Yeah I know publishers won't allow any unsafe moves. Still it's downright miserable.

304px-465px-Ivy03SCII.jpg

So hot.

I want SC team to make a Star Wars game. And make a Bushido Blade type game, with new characters.

I know 2 of those are established IP, heh. I do miss the 90's with new FG IP and experiments.

Maybe they could try and revisit something like Ninja Masters theme, with weapons being able to be knocked out of your hands or sheathed, and both having different movesets and that kinda stuff.

Masters of the Teras Kasi 2, let's go lol

Masters of the Teras Kasi 2, let's go lol

lol. That game had 10 hit combo strings like tekken. Stupid game. I want to bust my copy out now.

People hate the Star wars characters in SC4, but I liked them and thought they had good movesets. If they went all out and had 20 something star wars universe dudes, with more cool star war backgrounds.

I'll ride that hype train.

lol. That game had 10 hit combo strings like tekken. Stupid game. I want to bust my copy out now.

People hate the Star wars characters in SC4, but I liked them and thought they had good movesets. If they went all out and had 20 something star wars universe dudes, with more cool star war backgrounds.

Any time my friend or I picked Hoar... oh man, laugh riot. Especially since the announcer says it with such enthusiasm. "Luke Skywalker... versus... WHORE"

I was a lot younger then, so it was hilarious.

Skilletor

The Apprentice is one of my favorite SC characters ever and I HATE Star Wars. JF Saber toss ftw!

I don't mind that at all. Replaying "story" mode for each character to see their ending was stupid and tedious. Much rather have a single, more developed story, even if it has little replay value, than some hashed together arcade mode with a 30 second FMV ending for each character.

Speaking of this, do we know if Arcade mode or something has individual endings? Sure story mode is nice, but I also like when each character has his/her own ending, even if it's just 3 still images with text (even better if it's like SC2 where it's accompanied by awesome music). It's not like both have to be mutually exclusive as MK showed.

Sectus

Speaking of this, do we know if Arcade mode or something has individual endings? Sure story mode is nice, but I also like when each character has his/her own ending, even if it's just 3 still images with text (even better if it's like SC2 where it's accompanied by awesome music). It's not like both have to be mutually exclusive as MK showed.

There's no ending whatsoever in arcade mode.

GrayFoxPL

I'm hoping for one art per character at the end and "Thank you for playing."

Edit: @ above. That's so uh...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Soul Calibur's Sepoia-tone'd ending art was always a joy to witness. And then you had things like the interactive endings in Soul Blade... and I still miss my customizable intro from Soul Calibur!

You'd think as Gameplay comes closer to looking as HQ as CG, we could expect these things to become more standard, rather than to disappear entirely. The demonstration / Kata's the character performed as bonuses were also great. It'd be great to see the new CaS's participate in such things :(

soakrates

I wasn't expecting that statement to cause such an explosion. It was just my first impression of the pacing, I wasn't someone that paid attention to frame data back when I was playing SC2 :-(
It's all good, and I can see now what you were getting at. It's just a bit frustrating to see so many people clamor for something more akin to SC2, when not many people really know how much of a chore that game could be.

I dunno. I'd put SC2 Maxi right about where SC IV Maxi is on the usefulness chart. Sure he could do more stuff, but he couldn't generate damage which made him not especially scary. Just a marginal opinion tho given the Euros insist he was godlike.
At least Maxi could win in SC2, even if he had to play ultra safe most of the time. SC4 Maxi had almost no hope against a knowledgeable opponent. He was entirely too unsafe and only had one or two moves that the opponent had to respect.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Bleh @ arcade mode.

This has to be part of the effect of being rushed out the door.

MK9 did it right, with a master canonical story, and fun fantasy what-if stories for every single character in arcade ladders. The MK9 arcade ladder stories weren't just 30 second FMV fluff, they were actually well written and added to the characterization.

Wow... holy shit. Unless the Story mode has a lot of story beyond just P&P I'm pretty pissed.

And here I thought 3 mimmicks was the end of the scamco rush job.

d0c_zaius

Remember when they went the extra mile, and made multiple different endings per character? I think that was Soul Blade on PS1.

Those were the days.

V_Arnold

I remember the days when I actually cared about single player mode.

Now, I am satisfied with a good online mode (as that is all what really counts) and a training mode.

Now, I am satisfied with a good online mode (as that is all what really counts) and a training mode.

well said. Although I don't care too much for online as I can play with people in my area but I can see why online is important to many.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

While I agree with this, it is still a shame that individual endings got cut. Oh well.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
At least Maxi could win in SC2, even if he had to play ultra safe most of the time.
Heh. Always felt like I was trying to solve complex equations in my head when went down to Tulsa. Playing him safe was a chore. The BT stuff made it even sillier.

That aside, I didn't see Maxi doing much in tournaments past that one Nationals though. JDOK jumped to Mitsu after that.

SC4 Maxi had almost no hope against a knowledgeable opponent. He was entirely too unsafe and only had one or two moves that the opponent had to respect.
Yeah, I feel that pain almost every time I go online. (Even if Maxi getting a minor boost via lag he can be dismantled.) Even then the moves the opponent had to respect leave Maxi at a disadvantage. 4BBK has to land. Can't really mix up from the 4B if the opponent's paying attention.

Nothing like a 30% chance to deal damage and a 70% chance to eat damage in most situations... ;)

While I agree with this, it still is a shame that individual endings got cut. Oh well.
They're not really cut. They're just not in arcade mode.

Boogybro

I want SC team to make a Star Wars or Berserk game. And make a Bushido Blade type game, with new characters.

Hoe Maayne! I'd kill to see a nicely budgeted Slash'em Up Berserk game like there was on the Dreamcast and PSDouble. This year would be a great time to market as well, with the movies kicking off.

Character creator in SCV will have to hold me over until that happens. ):

d0c_zaius

Yea I'm old school. I like to think the character design and move sets are actually designed to fit within a larger picture, using the overall concept to limit things from getting to unfocused or crazy. Meanwhile others want to make their favorite Marvel characters in Soul Calibur...

If you think online is all what really counts, then that's a pretty low standard. But I guess that is the current mentality of this generation.

Hoe Maayne! I'd kill to see a nicely budgeted Slash'em Up Berserk game like there was on the Dreamcast and PSDouble. This year would be a great time to market as well, with the movies kicking off.

Character creator in SCV will have to hold me over until that happens. ):

Back when the guest character was still in question I was hoping Guts would be it. I thought it would make sense with the new movies coming out. Hope somebody does something with Berserk in the next few years.

V_Arnold

Yea I'm old school. I like to think the character design and move sets are actually designed to fit within a larger picture, using the overall concept to limit things from getting to unfocused or crazy. Meanwhile others want to make their favorite Marvel characters in Soul Calibur...

If you think online is all what really counts, then that's a pretty low standard. But I guess that is the current mentality of this generation.

I would be downright offended by this if it made any sense. I am not living in the U.S.
I am fighting against my friends mostly online, and we form a group of 5-10 people playing all kinds of fighting games. The distance between us is 100-150km at max - and with that and party chat, online fighting gaming is THE superior choice, anything else is uneccaptable. Lag is only present when one of our internet decides that it is crap time, then we laugh a little, and continue.

No current generation mentality, no lowered standards. Having a fighting game without online IS lowered standard, as offline versus is always a given when we go to tournaments.

I would be downright offended by this if it made any sense. I am not living in the U.S.
I am fighting against my friends mostly online, and we form a group of 5-10 people playing all kinds of fighting games. The distance between us is 100-150km at max - and with that and party chat, online fighting gaming is THE superior choice, anything else is uneccaptable. Lag is only present when one of our internet decides that it is crap time, then we laugh a little, and continue.

No current generation mentality, no lowered standards. Having a fighting game without online IS lowered standard, as offline versus is always a given when we go to tournaments.

Gotta agree, decent online is absolutely paramount.

DR2K

Banned

You don't really get the option if you want to stay a fighting game fan.

Aeonin

So true.

Its not like we can vote with our dollars either. I can't think of a single new fighting game IP this generation (besides Skullgirls).

Best we got single-player wise this generation was the Mortal Kombat remake/imagining. God damn everything about that SP was awesome.

Skilletor

Yeah, it sucks that more people would be able to play the game with people if they don't have others around to try it. It sucks that these people might learn to like competition because they're exposed to so many different styles and characters.

Your elitist mentality is a low standard none should aspire to emulate.

d0c_zaius

People that play fighting games seriously only use online to learn matchups, the key is still actually playing locally with people. Considering that most online is crap (minus two games and GGPO), its perfectly reasonable to not give an F about online. Sorry but only focusing on one aspect of the game that will always be off thanks to lag and such is a lowering of standards. There are a few companies like Aksys that commit to evolving the online experience, but that isnt the norm.

No need to get offended (and I don't see what living in the US has to do with anything), I'm simply stating people not raised on arcades or actually going to peoples houses to play competitive fighters wouldn't know any better. Its an unfortunate aspect of the modern fighting game scene that people focus on bullet points instead of enjoying the game regardless.

But if you talk to anyone that plays fighters, online generally is a joke. To only focus on this while disregarding the quality of the rest of the product seems silly.

Yeah, it sucks that more people would be able to play the game with people if they don't have others around to try it. It sucks that these people might learn to like competition because they're exposed to so many different styles and characters.

Your elitist mentality is a low standard none should aspire to emulate.

whoa calm down sarcasmguy. If you think that was elitest you would have hated the days before there was online. If you don't have others around, try to create a scene. If you are by yourself, use online as a last resort sure. Obviously people need to play against others any way they can. But that doesn't change the fact that online isn't the entire experience, not even close. To the people that claim its the entire experience, thats fine, but then don't get annoyed when people complain that other modes are suffering. Its a logical complaint to make. And no need to get hyper-judgemental, friend. Dunno why you need to present that attitude over me saying valuing one mode over the entire package is a bad thing.

Skilletor

People that play fighting games seriously only use online to learn matchups, the key is still actually playing locally with people. Considering that most online is crap (minus two games and GGPO), its perfectly reasonable to not give an F about online. Sorry but only focusing on one aspect of the game that will always be off thanks to lag and such is a lowering of standards.

No need to get offended (and I don't see what living in the US has to do with anything), I'm simply stating people not raised on arcades or actually going to peoples houses to play competitive fighters wouldn't know any better. Its an unfortunate aspect of the modern fighting game scene.

But if you talk to anyone that plays fighters, online generally is a joke. To only focus on this while disregarding the quality of the rest of the product seems silly.

DoA is one of my favorite fighters and was useless to me until it got online and I could play other people. Online is an excellent tool when done well to introduce people to fighting games as a competition. To think otherwise is silly. Not all people live in an area where just going to a person's house is an option, and not all fighting games are played equally.

whoa calm down sarcasmguy. If you think that was elitest you would have hated the days before there was online. If you don't have others around, try to create a scene. If you are by yourself, use online as a last resort sure. Obviously people need to play against others any way they can. But that doesn't change the fact that online isn't the entire experience, not even close. To the people that claim its the entire experience, thats fine, but then don't get annoyed when people complain that other modes are suffering. Its a logical complaint to make. And no need to get hyper-judgemental, friend.

For me, fighting other people is the entire experience of a fighter. If nobody plays, I can't do that. Online is necessary.

And yeah, I do hate the elitist mentality. I grew up in arcades as well, I'm just willing to accept change.

d0c_zaius

DoA is one of my favorite fighters and was useless to me until it got online and I could play other people. Online is an excellent tool when done well to introduce people to fighting games as a competition. To think otherwise is silly. Not all people live in an area where just going to a person's house is an option, and not all fighting games are played equally.

For me, fighting other people is the entire experience of a fighter. If nobody plays, I can't do that. Online is necessary.

And yeah, I do hate the elitist mentality. I grew up in arcades as well, I'm just willing to accept change.

so you didnt play DOA 1 (on ps1) or 2 on the dreamcast? They were far from useless. Online is a tool, not the package. Just as you get annoyed by elitism, I get annoyed by people that only look for bullet point features rather than appreciating the entire package. As someone in the arcades, you should have grown up with appreciating what you had, not saying "im not playing this because it doesn't have online".

I'm no where near the uber-elitest you are painting me out to be. If online is crappy, do you just not play the game at all? It seems that would be elitest, whereas I'm saying enjoy the product and if you find a problem with it, make the steps to overcome it, as we did throughout the last 20 years. Online is not dependable enough to make it a make or break item for purchasing a fighting game, and yes I bought VF5 on ps3.

If I depended only on online for my fighting game experiences, I would pull my hair out based on connection properties and differences in timing. And then whenever I played someone offline, I would get destroyed.

And if people were disappointed by offline mode changes, I certainly wouldn't justify anything by saying "oh well I only care about online". If you are willing to accept change, then you should be willing to accept that some things don't change, and that people will always want offline content to be as much as a focus as online. Dunno why presenting this opinion got me flack, I guess I didn't make my point well. But it has nothing to do with willingness to accept change. Online warriors are apart of the FGC as much as everyone else and its been like this for a while now.

I guess I should have just said this

Gotta agree, decent online is absolutely paramount.

I'm curious what games you consider "decent" and why.

For myself, the only online mode even remotely close to decent is Blazblue based on options and connection quality. Everything else is pretty spotty in-terms of network consistency and performance. Gundam VS EX has amazing online quality as well.

Apologies for derailing the topic.

Skilletor

so you didnt play DOA 1 (on ps1) or 2 on the dreamcast? They were far from useless. Online is a tool, not the package. Just as you get annoyed by elitism, I get annoyed by people that only look for bullet point features rather than appreciating the entire package. As someone in the arcades, you should have grown up with appreciating what you had, not saying "im not playing this because it doesn't have online".

But I'm no where near the uber-elitest you are painting me out to be. If online is crappy, do you just not play the game at all? It seems that would be elitest, whereas I'm saying enjoy the product and if you find a problem with it, make the steps to overcome it, as we did throughout the last 20 years.

I wasted a lot of time, yep. I was younger and had more time to do those things.

I had people to play in the arcade. That's why I went to the arcade. That's the ONLY reason I went to the arcade. If you enjoy fighting people and there is no comp, why bother playing? So that's why I can appreciate people who need online. If some lag is the only way to expose yourself to competition, then more power to you.

I have a strong scene where I live, with plenty of people to play most games. I don't care whether online is good in SC5 or TTT2, or SxT, or any popular fighter. I don't have anybody to play DoA with, though, or Vampire Savior, or Garou. I wouldn't play those without online, aside from practice mode. But I only practice to go fight.

d0c_zaius

I wasted a lot of time, yep. I was younger and had more time to do those things.

I had people to play in the arcade. That's why I went to the arcade. That's the ONLY reason I went to the arcade. If you enjoy fighting people and there is no comp, why bother playing? So that's why I can appreciate people who need online. If some lag is the only way to expose yourself to competition, then more power to you.

I have a strong scene where I live, with plenty of people to play most games. I don't care whether online is good in SC5 or TTT2, or SxT, or any popular fighter. I don't have anybody to play DoA with, though, or Vampire Savior, or Garou. I wouldn't play those without online, aside from practice mode. But I only practice to go fight.

Well its only a waste if you didnt have any fun. And if you didnt have any fun I dont see why you would play fighters anyway. I didn't know anyone in arcades, so I only played against strangers. I grew up in an area with no fighting game comp and played every single fighting game I could play just because I like the genre. Otherwise I would have never known about great games like Tobal 2 or Guilty Gear. This is what I referred to as old school, it wasn't intended to be elitest.

Garou has online for XBLA and it sucks (hence my point that online is not the end all be all). But since it has online I assume you have tried it. VS and Garou are on GGPO as well and have been for years. But whatever I'll be the bad guy I guess.

Top Bottom