• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Source 2 and Left 4 Dead 3 accidentally confirmed by Valve tour group of dev floor

ThaGuy

Im sooo ready for l4d3. Whatever console it releases on, I will go out and buy the console asap. This game is probably one of the main reasons why I didn't reserve a xbox1. I miss the old ones so much that I thought about buying another 360 to enjoy it again.

I hope the next l4d is a multiplatform release. I would love it for gamepad/wiimote use but I won't complain where the game will land. As long as its being made im happy.

Xater

You know what? I am ok with this. L4D is super fun and I have no doubt this one will bring a lot of fresh air with the new engine.

At this point I kinda no longer care about HL3. I want to know how the story ends, but am I actually looking forward to playing it? Not really. I don#t know where heavily story driven FPS games can go anymore.

Im sooo ready for l4d3. Whatever console it releases on, I will go out and buy the console asap. This game is probably one of the main reasons why I didn't reserve a xbox1. I miss the old ones so much that I thought about buying another 360 to enjoy it again.

I hope the next l4d is a multiplatform release. I would love it for gamepad/wiimote use but I won't complain where the game will land. As long as its being made im happy.

Of course it will be multiplatform. Valve likes money and they are even developing for multiple operating systems. Porting it to the new systems is probably trivial. Will it come to the WiiU? LOL no!

The thing I hope is that they will have Steam integration on PS4 like with Portal 2 on PS3.

EVIL

The 'Source 2' column is for everything that using the engine, HL3 included. So there's no need for a separate column for it. It would be nice if we could read the other descriptions under '2'.
IwAmjjp.jpg
there you go, bigger version. nothing about hl3 mentioned

edit: but yeah its about anything Source 2

ThaGuy

You know what? I am ok with this. L4D is super fun and I have no doubt this one will bring a lot of fresh air with the new engine.

At this point I kinda no longer care about HL3. I want to know how the story ends, but am I actually looking forward to playing it? Not really. I don#t know where heavily story driven FPS games can go anymore.

Of course it will be multiplatform. Valve likes money and they are even developing for multiple operating systems. Porting it to the new systems is probably trivial. Will it come to the WiiU? LOL no!

The thing I hope is that they will have Steam integration on PS4 like with Portal 2 on PS3.

I didn't know Valve employees wrote on Neogaf lol. But seriously, I know Valve and Nintendo aren't really close so I'm expecting a ps4/xbox1 release. But Gamepad/wiimote for l4d would be my ideal way to play rather than better graphics, but thats just my opinion.

Left 4 Dead was a nice gig. But many indie games later I realise that Left 4 Dead 2 was a simple cash grab and that Left 4 Dead 2's full price given its content is a huge insult. If Left 4 Dead 3 ends up just like the previous ones content wise, Valve can fuck off.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
At this point, I'm more excited by the possibility that silencers will be added to CS:GO than about any news about Valve's future games. What's wrong with me?

Of course it will be multiplatform. Valve likes money and they are even developing for multiple operating systems.

I disagree. If they're serious about the Steambox competing with next-gen consoles (as indicated by this article) then it is an absolute necessity to make all their big franchises exclusive to PC and Steambox. That goes for Half-Life, Team Fortress, Portal, L4D, everything.The best way to sell a new console is exclusives and I'm certain that Valve knows this. Assuming that both the Steambox and L4D3 release some time in 2014, a pack-in of L4D3 and a couple other Valve games would help the Steambox gain traction.

Pikma

Banned
Obviously that's what she meant.
She wouldn't be so dumb as to insinuate that HL3 isn't in development when Gabe confirmed it (as indirect as it was) many months ago.

fixed btw

I was kidding but eh...
Yeah maybe it's on development right now, or maybe the project is on hold, like it has obviously been for years.

Being reasonable instead of speculating on vague statements equals being dumb now?

Bricky

Suprise suprise. Rumors were already at a point of '80% chance this is truthfact' so I'm not really that surprised they're making it. I'd rather have another franchise be their big Source 2 introduction though, but I can see why they chose L4D since it seems a game they wouldn't have to change too much for so they could mostly focus on creating and learning their new engine.

E: Looking at that picture, I noticed something interesting. They mark their progress on projects with symbols for that specific project (Steam, internet/site(?), Source 2, Dota 2) but the last box isn't in use in the picture. That box COULD be used for something like HL3, right? Since it comes after another game (Dota 2) it is very likely its a game at the very least.

Angry Fork

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Left 4 Dead is fucking boring as shit and pointless without friends. Need me some loner Half Life.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
E: Looking at that picture, I noticed something interesting. They mark their progress on projects with symbols for that specific project (Steam, internet/site(?), Source 2, Dota 2) but the last box isn't in use in the picture. That box COULD be used for something like HL3, right? Since it comes after another game (Dota 2) it is very likely its a game at the very least.

The tag, assuming it pertains to a game, is probably for L4D3. The modicum of evidence we have suggests that it's further along than HL3 and from this distant position they're the only two (unreleased) games we know Valve is working on.

Haunted

I thought them working on Source 2 was confirmed a while ago.

Guys .. you guys .. listen

what if - no hear me - what if L4D3 is actually the codename for Half Life 3?
The way Valve is going they're probably making Half Life 3 as a F2P MP-only shooter with cosmetic microtransactions and Aperture Science boxes you have to open with purchasable key cards.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Then why would the relevant items that this thread is about not be labeled with it?

There's just one L4D3 item mentioned in the image. I don't know why it isn't tagged as such, though: maybe "L4D3's devtest unit test" doesn't relate to the L4D3 project at large and is just something used to aid in Source 2's general development.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The 'Source 2' column is for everything that using the engine, HL3 included. So there's no need for a separate column for it. It would be nice if we could read the other descriptions under '2'.
Those are unit tests to assert the engine hasn't regressed.

I'd expect all L4D3 specific updates to be project 5.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's just one L4D3 item mentioned in the image. I don't know why it isn't tagged as such, though: maybe "L4D3's devtest unit test" doesn't relate to the L4D3 project at large and is just something used to aid in Source 2's general development.
Correct, it's a functionality test for a piece of Source 2 code that informs Valve that code still works correctly even if they have made changes.

The one highlighted in the OP is failing so something is actually wrong that they will need to fix and the dev is noting this fact.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Source 2 has been a given and one would assume that titles like Portal 3 and L4D3 are sure fire at this point.

-MD-

I look forward to seeing what they do. Valve games have HORRENDOUS loading times. Hopefully this is fixed. Easily the worst loading times of any game I have ever played. Ever.

Valve games load fast for me, I play on PC though.

EVIL

Coming soon! (2018)

I look forward to seeing what they do. Valve games have HORRENDOUS loading times. Hopefully this is fixed. Easily the worst loading times of any game I have ever played. Ever.

lol, not really, it takes 5 to 10 seconds on my old AMD64 X2 4000+ with 2 gb of ram and a AMD 4850 GPU. If this is the longest load time you ever experienced, count yourself blessed.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Given that Source 2 will assuredly tackle Source's awful data streaming (or lack thereof), Left 4 Dead would be pretty good franchise to explore larger, more open world-like levels and chapters. I could see it being a frontrunner for the engine.
Eww open world makes for horrible levels. People will just get lost and frustrated

Top Bottom