• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Source 2 and Left 4 Dead 3 accidentally confirmed by Valve tour group of dev floor

npa189

At this point I'm over HL3, if it ever comes out, cool I'll play it, but if it doesn't whatevs. This is going to piss quite a few people off, both in and out of Valve. It would explain what they have been doing for so long besides DOTA 2, CSGO had quite a bit of help from hidden path.

You say that like it's a bad thing! Even if you don't like hats, it means free content and a huge community.

Valve's games end up on sale for $5 within the year. As far as support, I don't think Valve would have ported the entirety of L4D1 into L4D2 without the funding provided by the crazy amount of sales they already made. I'd much prefer to pay for the game and leave it at that.

If it's F2P I don't think I'll ever get a good Versus game ever

vilmer_

What, exactly, is Valve supposed to say about a game that hasn't been announced other than "you will ever see it, yes"? When Mr. YouCantTalkAboutHalfLife himself confirms that there's going to be another Half-Life, that's as close to an announcement as you're going to get until, well, the announcement is made.

Don't believe Ondore's lies.

demolitio

Yeah, I don't know what they could change for L4D3 in terms of mechanics and design. But froma techinal standpoint, having dozens or even hundreds of zombies in the screen at one time would be a rather impressive demonstration of the Source 2 tech. Don't the current L4D games only show 30 or so zombies in the screen at any given time?

Something like that I'm sure. With increased infected count, I imagine they'd have to have a few a open areas in the map where the director can send that many towards you at once. Maybe if they gave the higher caliber weapons some penetration, they could have areas where hundreds and hundreds of zombies are getting mowed down all around the group while they keep pouring in.

I think modular levels would definitely be a nice upgrade.

iJBINw7SCOCMB.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogPO9yYxGlg

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I don't get what you're trying to prove here. You've overplayed a short game, does that disprove his point?

In terms of content, L4D has nothing on Half-Life 2. It's a mini-game in comparison.

Half Life 2 has about 12 hours of cinematic shooting with a good plot and memorable characters, and nothing else.

Left 4 Dead 2 has countless hours of playing two games' worth of campaigns with a larger cast of characters and several game modes including a massive competitive multiplayer scene, of which I have been a part of for years. That's not including the co-op campaigns, survival modes, custom servers, mutations that have increased over the years, workshop support for campaigns and mods, and so on.

This doesn't even include the animation, modeling, and other technical aspects that were improved dramatically for Left 4 Dead 2's release.

So, no. It's not me overplaying a short game. It requires a little thinking to realize that it's far from a mini-game or sideshow.

Kind of a dick move to take a picture of that computer screen and post it on the internet.

Exactly my thoughts. Touring Valve is something I've always wanted to do, and thanks go whatever idiots pulled this it's pretty u likely they aren't going to seriously change the nature of said tours for the worse, or completely stop doing them temporarily. You're a guest being given the privilege of seeing the studio, doing something like this is unacceptable and a breach of trust.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Exactly my thoughts. Touring Valve is something I've always wanted to do, and thanks go whatever idiots pulled this it's pretty u likely they aren't going to seriously change the nature of said tours for the worse, or completely stop doing them temporarily. You're a guest being given the privilege of seeing the studio, doing something like this is unacceptable and a breach of trust.

Eh, Valve's been pretty cautious about making sure stuff like this didn't get snapped in the past. I don't think they'll do anything drastic to the tours beyond making sure everyone's got their screens off of the internal bug tracker.

Grief.exe

Valve probably feels that they didn't need to innovate with games like L4D3, Dota 2, CS:GO.
They just have to release a game that respects the properties that came before it.

The Half-Life series has bred so much innovation in the past, they probably feel that they need to come up with something mind blowing to make a release.

Let's be honest about Half-Life for a moment; if Episode Three was released, what are the odds that it will be either:

A) A free download for anyone who has the prior episodes or
B) A prologue in Half-Life 3 itself?

I don't see how Valve can release Episode 3 this late for full price by itself. On the topic of L4D3 though, I cannot wait. Love me some L4D.

denx

Let's be honest about Half-Life for a moment; if Episode Three was released, what are the odds that it will be either:

A) A free download for anyone who has the prior episodes or
B) A prologue in Half-Life 3 itself?

I don't see how Valve can release Episode 3 this late for full price by itself. On the topic of L4D3 though, I cannot wait. Love me some L4D.

Safe bet that they cancelled Episode 3 and are jumping straight into Half-Life 3.

I loved L4D1 and didnt wanted to have L4D2 one year after the first. I didnt liked the atmosphere and the balance from L4D2. And adding the campaigns from L4D1 made L4D1 the worst purchase ever.

I hope they add more campaigns. Not adding L4D1 and 2 campaigns. And i want to see the L4D1 atmosphere again and rebalance the fucking melee weapons (Melee with guns gets a cooldown but normal melee weapons not?).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve probably feels that they didn't need to innovate with games like L4D3, Dota 2, CS:GO.
They just have to release a game that respects the properties that came before it.

The Half-Life series has bred so much innovation in the past, they probably feel that they need to come up with something mind blowing to make a release.

CS:GO began life as a port of CS:S to the X360 so I'm not surprised it filled the space between CS 1.6 and CS:S. I'm expecting CS2 to have its own identity for the most part, though.

CS:GO began life as a port of CS:S to the X360 so I'm not surprised it filled the space between CS 1.6 and CS:S. I'm expecting CS2 to have its own identity for the most part, though.
Man I can't wait to see what happens with CS 2.0, hopefully it's really good. I like all of the CS games though I'm not too good at them.

OryoN

In terms of content, L4D has nothing on Half-Life 2. It's a mini-game in comparison.

Your definition of 'content' seems lacking, or mostly based on campaign length. L4D2, especially in its current state, is brimming with content. Besides a few openworld games, there aren't many games out there as densely packed as L4D2.

balohna

In case anyone is wondering what's even on that screen, it's a summary of changes checked into their games. What's interesting to see is that they seem to share one change list across all titles. Looks like they're all part of the same perforce project.

-MD-

Team Fortress 2 is my favorite game of all time and I would much rather see Valve keep working on adding new content to TF2 then work on TF3.

I want a fresh start again. I play TF2 on a daily basis but it feels really bloated. I'm fine with a few more years of TF2 but I do like to dream about TF3 once n' awhile running on Source 2.

K.Sabot

I'd rather have a game like Left 4 Dead 3 test the waters of Source 2 and then have HL3 show their mastery over the new engine.

Oh fuck yes. L4D is easily the best thing Valve have ever done in my eyes, so I would be so on board with this. Hopefully comes to PS4, I love you Valve but not gaming PC money love you.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope Valve fixes the problem with baddies ragequitting in Versus Mode. It really ruins the flow of the game for everyone else.

I'd rather play as the infected against bots. It was possible before. Of course not through a official mode.

Top Bottom