• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Source 2 and Left 4 Dead 3 accidentally confirmed by Valve tour group of dev floor

vilmer_

Valve can fuck off and stay fucked off. It's quite clear that they've had a bunch of mongoloids running the place for the past decade. 10 years, and they haven't even fucking acknowledged the fans of one of the best games ever released. But hey, I guess there are steam deals every 6 months :LOL

Those L4D and Portal mini-games are just an elaborate ruse.

demolitio

Consider me excited. Anyone still play L4D2 and need a good teammate? None of my friends play anymore which is a shame since we used to have so much fun kicking ass together. Hell, I just want to do some coop on some of the custom levels and campaigns since I never did any of them either.

add "demolitio2" if you're down to play and I'll reinstall it soon if so.

I hope they can push for more variety in the next game in terms of scenarios. Maybe more modular levels to keep it more unpredictable? I'm not sure what they could add in terms of new playable infected without getting rid of some old ones...

DarkKyo

Personally I'd much rather have a new Left 4 Dead than a new HL, but I understand some of the anger I guess.

Valve can fuck off and stay fucked off. It's quite clear that they've had a bunch of mongoloids running the place for the past decade.

Lol WOW you need to not be so petty, taking things like this so personally. Also, you act like they are stupid because L4D3 will not sell even though you know deep down it will do so well for them.

I really hope Valve fixes the problem with baddies ragequitting in Versus Mode. It really ruins the flow of the game for everyone else.

They need to make the game longer. I know it's a mostly multiplayer game and dependent on that, but I would like more and varied levels. Also at least SOME story.

Shouldn't be linear anymore and it will be more chaotic due to that 5.5 GB of GDDR5 they can code for.

D3VI0US

Source Engine 2
Nobody ever fucking believes me.
Half-Life came out to showcase GoldSrc.
All Half-Life games between HL1 and HL2 were released as HL1 extensions on GoldSrc.
Half-Life 2 came out to showcase Source.
All Half-Life games between HL2 and HL3 have been released as HL2 extensions on Source.
Half-Life 3 will come out to showcase Source 2.
Each main Half-Life game marks a new engine by Valve.
Every time I mention this, I get told it's the dumbest idea ever and that the engines are entirely unrelated to the release of the Half-Life games.
rabble, rabble, rabble

I still agree with this logic, Half Life 3 will be the showcase of Source 2, but Left 4 Dead is an ideal launch title for the engine. They can get it out there and do some really interesting things with it and continue to evolve the game as a service along with the engine. It's kind of like consoles, launch titles scratch the surface but 2nd and 3rd year titles really give you a good idea of what the consoles are capable of.

Half Life 3 needs to be an expertly crafted single player experience with great story, intense action, and a huge scale. I mean it sounds cliche but it's true, people have been waiting forever, the game need to be an epic masterpiece to live up to the hype. That takes time and an intricate knowledge of the new engine to pull off, Half Life 3 isn't an ideal launch title but is still an ideal showcase title.

Also did I mention Left 4 Dead 3! Fuck yeah! This game could be huge! The versus mode was among the best multiplayer experiences of this gen, like someone said, nothing beat the feeling of a coordinated wipe. They could do a lot with this game next gen and I am stoked for whatever they got cooking!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve can fuck off and stay fucked off. It's quite clear that they've had a bunch of mongoloids running the place for the past decade. 10 years, and they haven't even fucking acknowledged the fans of one of the best games ever released. But hey, I guess there are steam deals every 6 months :LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d7cjaJKR_8&t=660

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The thing is, there are a lot of monetisation opportunities for Valve with Left 4 Dead 3. I am not surprised they've made it F2P. While a new Half-Life game would be amazing, I'm honestly not opposed to this.

:>

My PC will be ready by then, hopefully.
Bring it on, Valve!
I am waiting on Valves version of Steam Box and if such a device never comes or has crappy specs I will build a PC just after the first Source 2 game releases. That way I am future proofed for Source 2 games for awhile. Then my upgrade path depends on how each new Source 2 game runs on my rig.

jambo

I've got no problem with a L4D3... but it's too damn soon. Yes, yes, been two years defense and all that. But I'm saying the gameplay unless radically altered needs to be put on ice for another two years before I even think of a L4D3.

Actually it's been almost 4 years since the release of L4D2 and by the time the third comes out it will have been 5 years.

An elaborate ruse that people have spent thousands of hours playing.

Also, Valve run by mongoloids? I'm a massive Half-Life fan and I can't wait for Half-Life 3, but to say that is just stupid. They've built a billion dollar empire and released some amazing games since Half-Life 2. I don't want them to stick to one series in one genre.

Consider me excited. Anyone still play L4D2 and need a good teammate? None of my friends play anymore which is a shame since we used to have so much fun kicking ass together. Hell, I just want to do some coop on some of the custom levels and campaigns since I never did any of them either.

add "demolitio2" if you're down to play and I'll reinstall it soon if so.

I hope they can push for more variety in the next game in terms of scenarios. Maybe more modular levels to keep it more unpredictable? I'm not sure what they could add in terms of new playable infected without getting rid of some old ones...
I bought this game and have yet to play much of it. If you don't mind a newb learning as I go..then maybe we can play together sometime.

vilmer_

Personally I'd much rather have a new Left 4 Dead than a new HL, but I understand some of the anger I guess.

Lol WOW you need to not be so petty, taking things like this so personally. Also, you act like they are stupid because L4D3 will not sell even though you know deep down it will do so well for them.

Honestly, I don't care if either of those things sell. I can play more engaging 'games' on my phone at this point which is pretty damn sad in itself.

Typical BS my friend.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

good-good-give-into-your-anger.jpg

Wow I guess you really like Ricochet.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

iQKQ8xil0V2Ox.jpg

Yup, sure is a ruse alright.

JaseC

Typical BS my friend.

Well, if you're going to claim that Valve hasn't acknowledged fans of Half-Life and then scoff at Doug Lombardi, of all people, acknowledging fans of Half-Life, then I don't know what to say.

Grief.exe

Valve has mentioned multiple times that Half Life has been put on the back burner until they can release something truly innovative.

They don't want to take their landmark series that has changed the genre twice over and just release an iteration. They want to make a splash.

They have acknowledged fans and let people know the status of the series. You just have to read.

vilmer_

Well, if you're going to claim that Valve hasn't acknowledged fans of Half-Life and then scoff at Doug Lombardi, of all people, acknowledging fans of Half-Life, then I don't know what to say.

He's just as clueless as the rest of the drones that work there nowadays. It's ok guys, keep going to reddit for exclusive details.

demolitio

I bought this game and have yet to play much of it. If you don't mind a newb learning as I go..then maybe we can play together sometime.

Doesn't matter to me. It's a game that is 10000x better with communication though and that's the key to success. We would actually only have 3 good people on our team and one other friend that just filled the spot basically that would talk to us and call shit out and do what we suggested if he asked and it would always work simply because communication is more important than skill in that game. He might not have been the best as a survivor or infected, but he communicated and stuck with the group which made him one of the best teammates you could ask for.

That's why L4D shines really in my opinion. Communication is key and moving as a unit is the key to success. If the infected attack one by one, you do nothing but annoy the humans, but if you all ambush them at the same time, it's hard to recover.

Arkam

Left for Dead 3? Please Please Please Please!
Would love to see how scary it will look on X1/Ps4/PC :)

I can't wait to see where they take the series

Kater

Banned

What the...
You take that back! Portal and L4D are one of the milestones of gaming history!

JaseC

He's just as clueless as the rest of the drones that work there nowadays. It's ok guys, keep going to reddit for exclusive details.

It wasn't an empty, "We realise fans out there want more [of a particular franchise] but we have nothing to announce at this time" that many publishers throw out to appease fans of forgotten franchises; it was quite literally a confirmation that, yes, we'll indeed see another Half-Life game one day.

Orayn

Episode 2 came out less than 6 years ago and they've acknowledged the Half-Life series more recently than that. Your math sucks.

demolitio

At one point you are going to have to make an actual argument.

I don't know as it doesn't seem to be a requirement for the console wars either. :p

I'm just wondering what major changes they could do to the L4D formula to really impress people. More variety of course being a big one but randomized levels with different events for different paths could be cool.

Lotto

In Doug Church We Trust.
that guy has been at Valve for so long and has only been credited for Portal 2; he has to be up to something dammit

Orayn

I would like to know why vilmer_ thinks everything other than Half-Life is bad, worthless, idiotic, etc.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
At one point you are going to have to make an actual argument.

Nah he doesn't, it's easy for him to make vapid, empty rageoid posts that prove he has no idea what he's actually talking about. Note how many people respond to him, and how many people he tries to argue back to. Makes it real easy for him to plug his ears and make his own drone noises. He's not worth the effort, he'll never admit to being wrong or change his mind as he obviously wants proof of a higher caliber that no one beyond Valve could give.

denx

I don't know as it doesn't seem to be a requirement for the console wars either. :p

I'm just wondering what major changes they could do to the L4D formula to really impress people. More variety of course being a big one but randomized levels with different events for different paths could be cool.

Yeah, I don't know what they could change for L4D3 in terms of mechanics and design. But froma techinal standpoint, having dozens or even hundreds of zombies in the screen at one time would be a rather impressive demonstration of the Source 2 tech. Don't the current L4D games only show 30 or so zombies in the screen at any given time?

JaseC

Give me something other than a youtube video that tells me that HL actually matters other than a random youtube interview. It's your turn.

What, exactly, is Valve supposed to say about a game that hasn't been announced other than "you will ever see it, yes"? When Mr. YouCantTalkAboutHalfLife himself confirms that there's going to be another Half-Life, that's as close to an announcement as you're going to get until, well, the announcement is made.

Top Bottom