• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth - Review Thread

DukeBobby

VYuz8zx.jpg

Reviews

IGN - 9.0

The Stick of Truth makes one thing abundantly clear: I never want to play another South Park video game made without Trey Parker and Matt Stone's direct, intimate involvement. With a controller in your hand, you are almost literally – gloriously – playing a 14-hour episode of South Park. There’s much, much more here for series fans than the uninitiated, but it’s a light but good quality role-playing game in its own right. It is, in a way, Season 18 all by itself. It is funny, shocking, self-effacing, and pretty much everything I could ask for from a South Park game -- even if it’s mostly a one-and-done experience.

The Escapist - 4/5

South Park: The Stick of Truth could stand alone as an extended episode of the show. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on how funny you think Trey Parker and Matt Stone are. For fans of the show, this is a seriously impressive game.

Eurogamer - 8/10

A finicky combat system, a lack of challenge and few reasons to remain in South Park once the story is done - these minor disappointments hold The Stick of Truth back from greatness, but they don't detract from the sheer audacious hilarity it delivers. In gameplay terms it may be soon forgotten, but there's unlikely to be a funnier - or filthier - game any time soon.

Giant Bomb - 5/5

Obsidian has fashioned an honest-to-god RPG out of the South Park universe, one with enough depth and longevity to hold your interest even when the comedy takes a breather. If the fantastically foul world of Stan, Kyle, Cartman, and Kenny still holds any appeal to you, The Stick of Truth is a game well worth your time.

Kotaku - Not yet

So if you're thinking about getting this one, especially on consoles, wait it out. Give Obsidian a little while to patch the game, or else you're rolling the dice in hopes that your experience won't be as broken as mine. Stick of Truth is a foul, wonderful, hilarious game, and it's worth your time—just not until it works properly

Gamespot - 7/10

South Park: The Stick of Truth is not the second coming of role-playing games, so if you come seeking Jesus, you'll be disappointed by the veritable second-rate televangelist you find in His place. But it's as funny as the merry tune of Stratford, and more enjoyable than Butters' favorite game, Hello Kitty: Island Adventure.

Endless Backlog - 9/10

Ultimately, South Park: The Stick of Truth is a love letter to South Park fans at-large. It is a testament to the fact that with enough time and care, a licensed game can work. It is clear that Obsidian and South Park Studios had a concise vision for what the perfect South Park game would be, and this is it. Whether you are an Obsidian fan or a South Park fan, there is no reason in the world not to check this game out.

Edge - 8/10

For all that, The Stick Of Truth is surprisingly game-literate. There’s a suite of in-jokes, ranging from the collectable toys that ape Pokémon to more overt nods to Skyrim and even 8bit RPGs. Elsewhere, conventions are sent up gloriously. Repeating soundbites are excused by NPCs insisting they’re being forced to stick to the script, while an inspired gag about audio logs only gets funnier the more you find. The jabs can be predictable, but they’re delivered with an affectionate wink, and it’s evident that Parker and Stone know and love videogames. So, yes, their irreverent take on the medium may have a few technical shortcomings, but you’ll usually be grinning far too much to care.

SlasherJPC - Video Review (Highly recommended)

Rock Paper Shotgun - No Score (moderately positive)

It is at once the South Park game we’ve been waiting for since the series started 17 years ago, and a cluster of stupid mistakes and bad balancing that we’d hoped Obsidian had put behind them. If you’re willing to plough through its dull opening hours (or perhaps mainline the main story until you reach the Taco Bell content to speed that process up), and put up with the technical issues, then there’s a lot on offer here. But that’s a big “if”, and not one someone paying for the game should have to ponder.

Gametrailers - 8.3 (video review)

Videogamer - 6/10

TSoT is the best, most faithful South Park game to date, but it’s still just an okay game. That said it might also be your only chance to fart on a flaming, used tampon and hurl it at Nazi zombie fetuses, unless they make another Postal.

Metacritic

360 - 82
PS3 - 85
PC - 84

Looking good as an extension of the show, though it could be a little longer and the combat a little deeper, but what's there is pretty great.

Ecto311

Looks like it's going to be well received aside from the less than 30 hour bitching in the other thread

RedAssedApe

Banned
hmm i haven't watched this show much in recent years (besides the console warz trilogy heh) but man i kind of want this game now

RedAssedApe

Banned
gamespot should give this a 4 lol

15 hours sounds like a perfect amount of time to kill for me between the SS release.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Off to a good start despite me not really acknowledging IGN since their scale seems all over the shop at the best of times.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
One thing I wish reviews were playing up is the DETAIL.

Open every closet in the game, any closet, even one you have no reason to ever visit, and it'll be packed with references to episodes of the show spanning all 18 seasons. It's ridiculous.

That alone + finally having an actual physical map of South Park for the first time make the game worth checking out, if you're a fan of the show.

The game is "short" by RPG standards, but if you take your time and just wander, soaking in the South Park sights, you'll have a ton of fun.

All I know is my wife is now pissed she didn't start watching me play it from the beginning. So that has to mean something. I only wonder if some reviewers will criticize some of the humor. I mean, it is South Park but you never know these days.

mcmudman

Neo Member
I knew that it would eventually boil down to if you like south park, you'll like the game. My biggest fear was that it'll be too much like the show and not enough gamey elements. Glad to see that there's a balance.

Blearth

Banned
Looks way better than I expected. Conflicted as to whether to drop $45 now or wait for a bigger sale later this year.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
What a relief. Obsidian are one of my favourite developers but I was worried this wouldn't turn out good because of its path to market.

McDougles

My colleague at GameSided reviewed the game. 8.5/10.

GameSided said:
Despite the poking at the genre, South Park: The Stick of Truth is a game that benefitted greatly from the numerous delays. It has nearly every element that can make a good RPG a great one, and the love for the genre by the show’s writers Trey Parker and Matt Stone shines throughout the adventure.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not one for the show but I've been interested in this after all of the hype. Will probably be one of my first PlayStation Now demos, if that all works out.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
What a relief. Obsidian are one of my favourite developers but I was worried this wouldn't turn out good because of its path to market.

The reviews wouldn't really matter to me in terms of game quality, one of Obsidians best games in Alpha Protocol did pretty mediocre in reviews and it's fucking brilliant as far as I'm concerned :)

Really looking forward to getting into this later though, I may just have to VPN it.

Damaniel

Banned

Figured as much. He was certainly hinting at disappointment in his posts here. I've been playing the PC version since it unlocked with zero technical issues, but with any Obsidian game you have to expect a few. Maybe the console versions have more problems...

Ishan

think this will end up being a solib 8.something like the transformers came and the arkham asylum .... the question is how much bigger or smaller is the southpark ip

Top Bottom