• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth - Review Thread

ieatzombies

Yeah, Giant Bomb as a whole and especially Alex taste tend to align with mine. Really awesome to see such a great review from them(and most of the reviews) in general.

erawsd

Kinda what I expected.. varying degrees of positivity.

Its a shame about the bugs/glitches. Unlike the past, I'm not sure we can say they were rushed or the game is full of complex layers to explain why an Obsidian game has these problems. Their Q/A staff really needs to get it together.

Dartastic

I've only read like 3 or so reviews outside of Kotaku's, and they're really the only ones I've read that mention any bugs. I'm going to take their buggy impressions with more than a grain of salt, even though it iS Obsidian.

Zornack

if you look at the distribution of GameSpot score, a 7/10 is exactly in the 50th percentile for them. So 50% of all games they review get higher scores. I wouldn't consider that a good score.

They've heavily changed how they score games recently. 7/10 isn't dog shit like it used to be.

I found it interesting his review said the opening hours was dull. I found it completely compelling the entire time with the game only getter crazier and crazier the more you progress.

Yeah, I've only played the first hour or so and it's already hooked me.

madmackem

I found it interesting his review said the opening hours was dull. I found it completely compelling the entire time with the game only getter crazier and crazier the more you progress.

I wonder if he even likes the show, I'm getting a vibe from these reviews that if you like south park that just being in the world is exciting, if you're not a fan really then you see the seams more. I can't wait I love this shit, the last Simpsons game I loved just because I was in a world I've dreamed of exploring.

meanspartan

sweet! great reviews overall.

So bout to buy it, anyone know how many save profiles there are on PC? (my brother wants to play too)

if you look at the distribution of GameSpot score, a 7/10 is exactly in the 50th percentile for them. So 50% of all games they review get higher scores. I wouldn't consider that a good score.
i thought gamespot is supposed to be moving back to the old 1-10 scale used properly, that's why their scores are going to be lower than everyone else's.

I've only read like 3 or so reviews outside of Kotaku's, and they're really the only ones I've read that mention any bugs. I'm going to take their buggy impressions with more than a grain of salt, even though it iS Obsidian.

Yea Jason schrier says bugs and Ryan mcaffrey specifically states very few bugs. Go figure

Playing the game right now and so far it's great! Definitely a treat for south park fans! I haven't noticed really any bugs yet on the pc version. The opening hours are a tad bit dull but still engaging. Simply in awe as I stroll through South Park!

Alex is a harsh judge of comedy, but he loved Jazzpunk and I loved that too, so that's a pretty encouraging review. A tight 14 hour RPG sounds great to me.

That might sound short for an RPG, but it packs a great deal of material into those hours, and almost all of it is very funny.
Again, The Stick of Truth tries to pack a whole lot into a relatively short game.

The Stick of Truth's battle system is surprisingly deep, yet easy to learn. I just wish the fart mechanics were a bit better. No, I never thought I'd ever have to write that sentence either.

And it runs great too, or at least does so on the PC. It's worth noting that I never got to try the console versions of The Stick of Truth, but the PC version ran nearly issue free during my time with it. One random crash bug and a single instance of the game's soundtrack cutting out during a battle were all I ever noticed. Beyond that, load times were quick, checkpoints were aplenty, and I managed to get through the campaign free of types of issues we (perhaps rightfully) tend to associate with Obsidian's games.

I wonder if he even likes the show, I'm getting a vibe from these reviews that if you like south park that just being in the world is exciting, if you're not a fan really then you see the seams more. I can't wait I love this shit, the last Simpsons game I loved just because I was in a world I've dreamed of exploring.

Your just going to love this man! :)

V_Arnold

I got the review copy (360) yesterday, the first thing the game started after installing was a 10mb title update. So I guess less bugs, cause so far (3-4 hours into it), I encountered none.

Grief.exe

EU PS3 version here :/ My rig is so old, even Tetris will break it down.

379ch.gif

Aretak

Very pleased that this seems to have turned out well. Guess all those delays really helped them get it right.

BPoole

Gamespot with the lowball again. I'm surprised they didn't turn their review into a social commentary about misogyny and LBGT discrimination in modern media.

NoPiece

i thought gamespot is supposed to be moving back to the old 1-10 scale used properly, that's why their scores are going to be lower than everyone else's.

They've heavily changed how they score games recently. 7/10 isn't dog shit like it used to be.

ya, I'm sure they are trying, but if you take the 24 Xbox One reviews to date, the average is 6.7, so they are pretty close to their lifetime average.

Yea Jason schrier says bugs and Ryan mcaffrey specifically states very few bugs. Go figure
I played through the entire 360 version and saw no bugs at all. But it was the retail version and I got an auto update when ran it the first time. Maybe they played an earlier non-patched version?

C4Lukins

I thought some reviewer would lay into it for its non PC humor. Looks great so far. I am still expecting a 1 out of 5 at some point.

So it's looking like a meta in the 81-83 range? Considering the generally godawful reception of games with any kind of JRPG styling that's mind-blowingly good. Generally I'd default anything with a turn-based battle system or ATB style a good 5-10/100 extra. Game is officially back on my radar.

More important than the score for me will be reading reviews where some writers will surely praise things that they've completely hammered more conventional RPGs for in the past. It'll anger me but I'll get a laugh out of it, too. The South Park name on the case is almost surely adding some rose-tinted glasses for first impressions but that doesn't mean there's plenty of fine game once you get a clear look.

Top Bottom