• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth - Review Thread

Eusis

So it's looking like a meta in the 81-83 range? Considering the generally godawful reception of games with any kind of JRPG styling that's mind-blowingly good. Generally I'd default anything with a turn-based battle system or ATB style a good 5-10/100 extra. Game is officially back on my radar.
Huh? A lot of JRPG games tend to get in the 80s or at least high 70s Metacritic unless they're actually bad or at least good but not great, though a few are acquired tastes admittedly. I feel like the EDITORIALS about JRPGs being outdated gives that impression more than the actual reviews.

Unless you meant a western developed game that's JRPG styled, but a lot of them do miss the mark more often than not, and even this isn't really a pure JRPG-style game anyway.

eyeless

hmm think i'll read some video game discussion on the internet hope i don't see any profoundly sad and terrible forum pos-
Gamespot with the lowball again. I'm surprised they didn't turn their review into a social commentary about misogyny and LBGT discrimination in modern media.
welp

I think the charm of the license and just the quality of Matt and Trey's writing, something which is rarely seen in most video games, would offset some of the technical issues. I hoped it would review well, and it seemingly has. Let's hope the bugs and kinks get worked out over the next few weeks.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So reviewers get offended by GTA V but praise South Park for being Shouth Park...Whatever...

-MD-

Just played 4 hours straight but it's 4am and I'm starving.

This game was so much worth the wait.

Eusis

So reviewers get offended by GTA V but praise South Park for being Shouth Park...Whatever...
Maybe they hope for more from GTAV, or South Park's reputation is so well known that it's useless getting offended. It's like criticizing Pokemon for being cute, what were you expecting? Though that should probably apply to GTAV too, but then Rockstar seems to want to creep further and further while South Park just bulldozed past the line and is busy driving circles on the other side.

Gxgear

If only all games treat their source material with such loving care like Stick of Truth did, that would be a wonderful world to be in.

Looking forward to seeing my Grand Wizard edition on the doorstep tomorrow after work.

Sounds pretty great overall and what I was hoping for. The censorship crap and Dark Souls 2 will keep me from day 1 though. Too much to play right now.

Milennia

I've gone through a good few reviews now and the only complaint I'm really seeing revolves around the bugs in the game, though still not abundant.
Outside of one or 2 complaints about the difficulty and combat, I'm extremely happy.

zerotol

Banned
This is probably going to be my last game purchase for my 360. Can't wait to play it, most of the things I've read on here sound hilarious

ryushe

This is $60 across all platforms, right?

Sounds good, but I'mma have to give it a wait, especially with Dark Souls dos next week.

Eusis

This is $60 across all platforms, right?

Sounds good, but I'mma have to give it a wait, especially with Dark Souls dos next week.
Yeah, it's definitely good but if I couldn't get it for just over $30 I'd be waiting. But then I'd probably have done that regardless of what happened at $60.

Moff

meta probably wont be vey high, its a shame, I hoped this will be obdisiands first hit with huge sales and metarating in the 90s.

Eusis

meta probably wont be vey high, its a shame, I hoped this will be obdisiands first hit with huge sales and metarating in the 90s.
It's still pretty high, and short of a flood of reviews dragging it down it'll be one of the best reviewed licensed games out there. Heck, it already is, though it'd stay that way so long as it remained in the 70s given how most of them are.

Looks like it is going to be very much YMMV on the bug front. I didn't encounter a single one in 18 hours of play. (PS3)
Looks like Kotaku tested the 360 version? Maybe that one is a bit more broken. Anyway, the same bugs are not happening to the same people, despite the game being on console. I had zero bugs with games like The Last of Us and Heavy Rain, but there are a lot of people who had incredible bad experiences with glitches and couldn't even finish the game leading me to believe that they are not exactly bug free.

Hopefully Obsidian can sort those out for the ones affected. It sucks that QA is still dragging them down somewhat. At least Ubisoft likely made the right call delaying it, must have been a mess a few months ago.

elfinke

Great reviews, well done Obsidian! I went from 'what the hell is this game' to purchased in the space of the GBQL and review, tonight. Super keen to be involved with another Obsidian game.

V_Arnold

I played through the entire 360 version and saw no bugs at all. But it was the retail version and I got an auto update when ran it the first time. Maybe they played an earlier non-patched version?

This has to be the case. So Jason, get back to assigning a score, cause updates are already out :p

jrcbandit

All this talk about bugs, bah, the PC version seems very solid. Played for 4 hours with absolutely 0 issues.

I don't think this reputation for Obsidian is entirely warranted on their PC side of gaming, aside from Alpha Protocol and NWN2 base game (expansions were fine). I played New Vegas PC with the day 1 patch and only encountered 2 noticeable bugs in my 70+ hour playthrough ;p.

spekkeh

Banned
Reads Kotaku's not yet
Has a video to indicate its bugs
"see 0:04 and 0:11 especially to see major stuttering"
Doesn't see any major stuttering

I'm getting old I guess.

Eusis

Reads Kotaku's not yet

I'm getting old I guess.
I wouldn't be surprised if the style masks it, and on PC any issues get smoothed over by both that and the fact it's locked at 30 FPS. Being at 60 or higher would probably show its weak spots... both in performance and animation.

I just finished playing a 5 hour session on my 360. I had no bugs at all. Very very minor jumps when I would enter a new area and the game was in the process of finishing it's autosave, but even then it wasn't happening every single time.

Good reviews that have convinced me to give this the time of day at some point. Considering the obligatory brand of Obsidian jank that typically comes with their products, I'll pick up the game when it hits £15-20.

meanspartan

For those of you going PC, this voucher code worked for me on GreenManGaming and got me the game at $15 off: VRW14X-M2YVEU-B0C9OT

Have there been any reviews were the reviewer isn't a big fan of the show. I'm interested in that perspective on the game, given how much of the game is about the license, I wonder how much appeal is there for people who don't bother with the show.

Blobbers

Let me guess, Sessler liked the gameplay elements but was offended by its profound mysoginy/crudeness/childish humor/whatever.

Please tell me its not "Bros before
Foes
" all over again

hohoXD123

Reads Kotaku's not yet

I'm getting old I guess.

I thought it was quite noticeable, especially just after the snowman. Doesn't seem like a big deal from a 30 second clip but if it happens throughout the game I can see why it would get annoying.

styl3s

Gamespot with the lowball again. I'm surprised they didn't turn their review into a social commentary about misogyny and LBGT discrimination in modern media.
o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən/
noun
noun: opinion; plural noun: opinions

a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
"I'm writing to voice my opinion on an issue of great importance"
synonyms: belief, judgment, thought(s), (way of) thinking, mind, (point of) view, viewpoint, outlook, attitude, stance, position, perspective, persuasion, standpoint;
How do they work?

I played about 3 hours of the game and then stopped because i had no further interest in it. Not everyone is going to like it and not everyone is going to give it a perfect score.

Apologies for the shameless plug, our review's also live:

Push Square - 8/10

Proud to be one to buck the trend, South Park: The Stick of Truth is a truly brilliant television tie-in. Every scene is stuffed with references and Easter eggs, and the dialogue is so authentically written and acted that you really feel like you’re playing through an episode of the show. Performance issues and minor irritations do hold the experience back a touch, but this is still a must-play for fans of the franchise, and it sets a benchmark for future licensed titles to measure up to.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps3/south_park_the_stick_of_truth

Ideally I want to play this on PS3, but I'll switch to PC if I hear about technical issues. That is, unless there are technical issues across the board.

I'll wait for more feedback from some of you guys.

Maxxan

In my own humble opinion, the game is rad =) Slightly buggy on the PS3. Controller stopped responding, forcing me to reset the controller, but this has happened twice or trice over the course of 10 hours. LOVE the soundtrack. Best collectables in a game ever. Cartman is great as always.

Have there been any reviews were the reviewer isn't a big fan of the show. I'm interested in that perspective on the game, given how much of the game is about the license, I wonder how much appeal is there for people who don't bother with the show.
The guy who reviewed it on Gaming-Age says he doesn't watch a lot of it. Haven't seen anyone who outright hates the show though.

Top Bottom