• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth - Review Thread

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
PS3 version is stuttering all over the place while exploring the city, for me anyway. But its still fun, 60$ fun, I don't know yet as I'm only a few hours in./

So there is stuttering on the PS3 also? Schreier's review seems to imply that whatever stuttering there is can hopefully be patched out, is that the case? Edit: maybe a better question is how reliable Obsidian is for patches, haven't really played their games since like KotOR.

Either way I'm gonna have to look through some couches. This + DkS2 makes my wallet a sad panda.

MY stress level has been running at maximum for a few weeks now. I wish I could get a spare day off to play this but I'll grab it tonight and check out the first few hours.

Being as this is Denver and there is a legal pot shop a mile from my house, I almost feel obligated to get really stoned and play this game.

charsace

Not surprised that people are saying the writing is good. Obsidian guys have been involved with some of the best writing in gaming history. They know how to write for games and how to tie the gameplay into the story.

Not surprised that people are saying the writing is good. Obsidian guys have been involved with some of the best writing in gaming history. They know how to write for games and how to tie the gameplay into the story.

I'm not sure Obsidian is the one to credit in this case. Trey and Matt handled the writing.

KHlover

Banned
Wasn't this written by Matt&Trey though? :p

It's all Matt and Trey, dude. They're more talented than any Obsidian writer anyway.

ampere

Sounds like the consensus is the content is very solid, but there are some reports of bugs. I'm still planning to pick it up in the next week or two, but I'll monitor what other GAFers are saying about their experiences with bugs on PC or PS3. I haven't decided which platform to buy it on yet.

eshwaaz

Nice scores. Still on the fence, though. I've only seen a few episodes of South Park over the years - and I always find it funny - but I've never made it a point to watch regularly for some reason.

If much of the game's humor is specifically referential to the show, it'll be lost on me.

Sounds like the consensus is the content is very solid, but there are some reports of bugs. I'm still planning to pick it up in the next week or two, but I'll monitor what other GAFers are saying about their experiences with bugs on PC or PS3. I haven't decided which platform to buy it on yet.

It's still early, but in the OT, there haven't been many reports of bugs. I've played about 6 hours of it and other than voice dialogue dropping in one conversation, I haven't seen any bugs on the PC.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm gonna hold off while I play ni no kuni and wait for some bugs to get patched out. I've played too many Obsidian games on PS3 to know better.

elfinke

I forgot to give a score. silly me.

I give it about treeee fiddy.

Nice writeup, boogie. Thanks. 15 hours, if anything, is a long game in my books these days: at the very least it takes a special piece of content to keep me plugged in for that long.

I'm very slightly glad to hear that 15 hours is probably an extended play through!

RPGCrazied

Seems to be getting great reviews, I'm sure Trey and Matt are pretty happy right now. Has there been any word yet on how the console versions preform? Most reviews on games forget to mention these, specially AAA games.

Sincere question - why does it seem like NeoGAF is anti-games journalism, yet we eat up review threads without question? I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Oh man i wish Matt and Trey keep doing videogames, love the dudes work.

Sincere question - why does it seem like NeoGAF is anti-games journalism, yet we eat up review threads without question? I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

For me personally although I am not a fan of reviews and am bothered by them, it's nice to see games that I am interested in or enjoy be well received. Increases the chance of widespread appeal as well as gets the devs that lucrative "Metacritic bonus". If this game got all 3s and 4s I wouldn't give a fuck and would still be stoked, but it's nice and also reassuring to see it be well received.

charsace

I'm not sure Obsidian is the one to credit in this case. Trey and Matt handled the writing.

Wasn't this written by Matt&Trey though? :p

It's all Matt and Trey, dude. They're more talented than any Obsidian writer anyway.

Do you guys think another company could meld the writing of Matt and Trey with game play? These are guys that have worked on the original Fallout games, Torment, VtMB, KOTOR2, and other games.

Do you guys think another company could meld the writing of Matt and Trey with game play? These are guys that have worked on the original Fallout games, Torment, VtMB, KOTOR2, and other games.

Good point. Matt and Trey DID choose Obsidian themselves for a reason. Seems like they were the perfect match.

styl3s

Yeah but how far does that get you if the actual game mechanics are shit?

Look at past South Park games. My biggest fear of this game is that i haven't followed South Park in years and it's probably 99% fanfare, stuff that will go over my head and obsidian and the RPG mechanics is what is really drawing me to the game. I just don't know if that's enough to justify $60.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
From what I heard, they hated the experience so I wouldn't count on it. Maybe if it makes them a ton of money.
really? well its understandable since they produce an episode in one week while games take years.

sp3lld00mUK

Neo Member
I'm in 5 hours on the PS3.

Have to be honest, this has to be one the best adaptations you can ever get for the franchise. The writing, art, music, characters and content stay true to show that we have all come to love. I can assure you, if you are an ardent fan, you'll feel right at home.

Technically on the PS3, there were some "loading lags" when you move around from one street to another real quick or if the there were a sudden transition, if not, the game has been solid so far.

Good luck naming your character , Sir Douchebag.

Darksol

Well...Gamespot didn't give them a 4. I guess that's something. Why is it I knew walking into this thread that Gamespot and Kotaku would be the most negative?

Regardless...fantastic reviews, and I'm about to go pick up my Grand Wizard edition now. Sweet dude. Fucking sweet!

I came here exactly to see what Gamespot gave this game. I remember in the behind the scenes with Matt and Trey video, one of them said they'd be pissed if they got a low score from Gamespot. Glad it didn't, lol.

All this talk about bugs, bah, the PC version seems very solid. Played for 4 hours with absolutely 0 issues.

I don't think this reputation for Obsidian is entirely warranted on their PC side of gaming, aside from Alpha Protocol and NWN2 base game (expansions were fine). I played New Vegas PC with the day 1 patch and only encountered 2 noticeable bugs in my 70+ hour playthrough ;p.

New vegas is one of the buggiest games I've ever played
constant crashes

The stuttering on the kotaku video is pretty bad, look at the background scrolling not the characters' jerky animation from the show that will hide it

Anyone playing this on a low end cpu on pc have any stuttering? (an old core2duo or core2 quad, or a phenom II)
Also does the game work at any refresh rate or is it limited to 60hz mode like some other ubisoft games?

stuttering like that video would annoy me enough to stop playing

AzerPhire

The stutter is pretty obvious in the IGN video review. They mention frame rate issues on the 360/PS3 versions of the game.

Be aware of spoilers in the review though.

spekkeh

Banned
Seems to be very subjective. I'm jealous. I wish I could play the game without noticing it.

I did see a slight hiccup, but due to the already janky animation of the South Park characters it doesn't strike me as overly out of place. I can imagine though that losing responsiveness because of it while playing can get really annoying and makes you focus on it a lot more.

jschreier

I did see a slight hiccup, but due to the already janky animation of the South Park characters it doesn't strike me as overly out of place. I can imagine though that losing responsiveness because of it while playing can get really annoying and makes you focus on it a lot more.
Yeah, it's not the animation that bothers me - every few seconds the framerate drops and things just chug for a split second. As I wrote in my review, isolated this wouldn't be a problem, but when you start noticing it and it happens the entire game, it's a terrible flaw.

Seems like the perception on 15 hours ust depends on how much you like the game. I've been thinking 15 is way too short just because I'm expecting to love this game and I've been waiting a long time to play it. I would love for the game to be twice as long just to have the content and experience everything.

KHlover

Banned
Maybe, but that's beside the point. Your post specifically praised the writing and falsely attributed it to Obsidian.

About melding story and gameplay...probably? Obsidian is a great company, but it's not like they're the only ones who make good RPG's

Finally I can talk about this game.

I don't know if my opinion means shit to you because I'm just some fat neckbearded youtuber, but I am...
- a huge southpark fan
- a huge rpg fan
- huge fan of paper mario

and I fucking love this game. Its short, for sure. 15 hours. We all know there is a ton of footage and stills from the game that didn't make the final cut and will probably be sold back to us as DLC. I'm pretty much ok with that though because I really feel like I got my moneys worth at 15 bucks (especially since GreenManGaming has it for super cheap atm with a code)

The good
- Southpark humor
- nice big world full of tons of hidden stuff, side quests, etc
- true to the show, right down to the smallest details
- combat (especially on 'insane' difficulty) is deep and interesting... its basically Paper Mario with southpark insanity.
- The story is pretty much one giant episode of southpark (like a season long story arch almost) and its a great storyline as well.

The bad
- Did I mention its short at 15 hours? Do all of the content and I was done in 15 hours. Shorter if you speed through focusing on the quests and avoiding combat. If you tried hard I bet you could do it in 10 hours.
- Huge variety of items but very little need to use them. I often stuck with the 'best' items for combat but I got tons and tons and tons of stuff I wouldnt use.
- Its pretty obvious looking at media from developement that quite a lot hit the cutting room floor. I wish there was even more.
- Notable absences from the game that existed on the show that we would all have loved to see.

Should you get this game

No if:
- If you don't like turn based RPG's with Paper Mario style antics you'll dislike this
- If you don't like southparks absurdly offensive, often dark, sense of humor then you won't like this.
- if 15 hours is not enough gameplay for you, might want to wait for a price drop. I think its well worth the 60 bucks though.

Yes if:
- You're a southpark fan and love their sense of humor and want to support their efforts into this realm
- You're a fan of Paper Mario RPG's style combat and gameplay
- 15 hours sounds right to you
- you want to laugh your ass off while playing a video game
- (SPOILER) you've ever wanted to fight aborted nazi zombie babies.
Good stuff. Thanks Boogie!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Finally I can talk about this game.

I don't know if my opinion means shit to you because I'm just some fat neckbearded youtuber, but I am...
- a huge southpark fan
- a huge rpg fan
- huge fan of paper mario

and I fucking love this game. Its short, for sure. 15 hours. We all know there is a ton of footage and stills from the game that didn't make the final cut and will probably be sold back to us as DLC. I'm pretty much ok with that though because I really feel like I got my moneys worth at 15 bucks (especially since GreenManGaming has it for super cheap atm with a code)

The good
- Southpark humor
- nice big world full of tons of hidden stuff, side quests, etc
- true to the show, right down to the smallest details
- combat (especially on 'insane' difficulty) is deep and interesting... its basically Paper Mario with southpark insanity.
- The story is pretty much one giant episode of southpark (like a season long story arch almost) and its a great storyline as well.

The bad
- Did I mention its short at 15 hours? Do all of the content and I was done in 15 hours. Shorter if you speed through focusing on the quests and avoiding combat. If you tried hard I bet you could do it in 10 hours.
- Huge variety of items but very little need to use them. I often stuck with the 'best' items for combat but I got tons and tons and tons of stuff I wouldnt use.
- Its pretty obvious looking at media from developement that quite a lot hit the cutting room floor. I wish there was even more.
- Notable absences from the game that existed on the show that we would all have loved to see.

Should you get this game

No if:
- If you don't like turn based RPG's with Paper Mario style antics you'll dislike this
- If you don't like southparks absurdly offensive, often dark, sense of humor then you won't like this.
- if 15 hours is not enough gameplay for you, might want to wait for a price drop. I think its well worth the 60 bucks though.

Yes if:
- You're a southpark fan and love their sense of humor and want to support their efforts into this realm
- You're a fan of Paper Mario RPG's style combat and gameplay
- 15 hours sounds right to you
- you want to laugh your ass off while playing a video game
- (SPOILER) you've ever wanted to fight aborted nazi zombie babies.

Love you boogie! Keep up the good work.

Patryn

As someone with a less than powerful PC, is there a consensus on if the PS3 or 360 version is more stable? I'm getting the 360 version from Amazon, but I'm not beyond hopping out to pick up the PS3 version and returning the 360 version if it's remarkably more stable.

EDIT:

I'm seeing a few comments like this. I thought the stuttering was pretty obvious in that clip (and imagine that happening for the entire game) but if you don't see it, feel free to read that NOT YET as a YES.

Given that I also didn't notice any stuttering in that video, I'll stick with the 360 version.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Seems like the perception on 15 hours ust depends on how much you like the game. I've been thinking 15 is way too short just because I'm expecting to love this game and I've been waiting a long time to play it. I would love for the game to be twice as long just to have the content and experience everything.

At 22 minutes per episode an entire season of South Park is only 5-6 hours of content. This game is about 2-3 seasons worth of South Park.

RPGCrazied

As someone with a less than powerful PC, is there a consensus on if the PS3 or 360 version is more stable? I'm getting the 360 version from Amazon, but I'm not beyond hopping out to pick up the PS3 version and returning the 360 version if it's remarkably more stable.

From what I gather the console versions stutter, how worse they are from each other I don't know.

JustinBB7

Lmao @ kotaku.

Nice review Boogie, I don't like turn based combat but I never played paper mario before so I'll see what happens. I was ok with Costume Quest, but that game was super short so it didn't matter so much. However I am a huge south park fan so I can't wait.

Damn EU release date.

URATowel

Banned
So happy I decided to buy the PC and PS3 versions. Matt and Trey deserve the support for pouring their time and hearts into this game. I only looked at the review scores to avoid spoilers but I can't wait to play.

Just got to take care of a few things at home, grab the pizza and I'm couch locked to South Park :)

Top Bottom