• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth - Review Thread

Seanspeed

Banned
At 22 minutes per episode an entire season of South Park is only 5-6 hours of content. This game is about 2-3 seasons worth of South Park.
Well I'm sure a fair amount of time is spent in combat and doing RPG-stuff where nothing plot-relevant is happening, to be fair.

But anyways, this all sounds much better than the 8 hours I heard before. Still might wait for a little while, but I'm properly excited about it.

Jim

The console versions definitely have loading-induced stuttering if you sort of rush through an area as soon as it loads. If you wait a second or so, it's not really an issue. Not sure if the patch will clean that up. Other than that the game looks great.

Ubisoft recommends you do a full install on the 360 version right in their review notes.

Anyone playing this on a low end cpu on pc have any stuttering? (an old core2duo or core2 quad, or a phenom II)
Also does the game work at any refresh rate or is it limited to 60hz mode like some other ubisoft games?

stuttering like that video would annoy me enough to stop playing

I'm playing this on an ancient ass laptop with the following specs:-

Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8 GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 1 GB
8 GB DDR3 RAM

It's fucking flawless, zero stutters etc at 1080p60 even when traversing the town. Only jerkiness I see is when you enter the loading screens, and it resolves itself once the loading is done.

No complaints, they were right on the money when they published those minimum requirements.

EDIT:- Scratch that, it seems like FRAPS is indicating that the FPS is actually 30, no matter the resolution set. I went down to 640x480, all the way to 1080p. I wonder if it's an engine limitation.

shandy706

I'm so torn.

There are only 7 days till Titanfall comes out. I'll probably only get a chance to play maybe 4-5 hours worth of games this entire week due to my schedule. I probably won't care at all about any other game, for a while, after next Tuesday.

Do I buy this now or work on my backlog?

I really want this game, but doubt I'd get to play it much at all. May just wait.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Well I'm sure a fair amount of time is spent in combat and doing RPG-stuff where nothing plot-relevant is happening, to be fair.

But anyways, this all sounds much better than the 8 hours I heard before. Still might wait for a little while, but I'm properly excited about it.

Yea but even things like the combat and exploration are filled with humor. Hell, the grey vendor loot has descriptions that have to be read. Non-plot relevant activity doesnt mean there isnt South Park content to savor.

Coolade

I don't think people should be laughing at the kotaku review. A friend of mine encountered a progress blocking bug 21 minutes into the game during the first tutorial. He's unable to continue even after restarting the game and deleting and reinstalling the day 1 patch data. Game has several bugs you may or may not encounter. Fair warning.

BearPawB

Banned
I don't think people should be laughing at the kotaku review. A friend of mine encountered a progress blocking bug 21 minutes into the game during the first tutorial. He's unable to continue even after restarting the game and deleting and reinstalling the day 1 patch data. Game has several bugs you may or may not encounter. Fair warning.

Are you sure he isn't just missing how to do something?

Kotaku's impressions of it being a broken game have me very concerned.

I'm so sick of this shit after dealing with all the game-breaking crap in the release versions of so many 2013 games.

Coolade

Are you sure he isn't just missing how to do something?

Positive. He recorded a video of showing me where his progress was halted and I compared it versus pewdiepies and boogies playthrough. In his game an enemy character he's supposed to attack runs off screen making his attack choice gray out and he's unable to continue. During the playthrough's I see online, that enemy stays on screen. Real random, hopefully rare, but the game is buggy. Charming fallout buggy or broken buggy I'm not sure. I'll be waiting for a few weeks to see if the game is ironed out.

Durante

Am I the only one incredibly entertained by the fact that the game is sitting at exactly 84 at metacritic right now?

Finally I can talk about this game.

I don't know if my opinion means shit to you because I'm just some fat neckbearded youtuber, but I am...
- a huge southpark fan
- a huge rpg fan
- huge fan of paper mario

and I fucking love this game. Its short, for sure. 15 hours. We all know there is a ton of footage and stills from the game that didn't make the final cut and will probably be sold back to us as DLC. I'm pretty much ok with that though because I really feel like I got my moneys worth at 15 bucks (especially since GreenManGaming has it for super cheap atm with a code)

The good
- Southpark humor
- nice big world full of tons of hidden stuff, side quests, etc
- true to the show, right down to the smallest details
- combat (especially on 'insane' difficulty) is deep and interesting... its basically Paper Mario with southpark insanity.
- The story is pretty much one giant episode of southpark (like a season long story arch almost) and its a great storyline as well.

The bad
- Did I mention its short at 15 hours? Do all of the content and I was done in 15 hours. Shorter if you speed through focusing on the quests and avoiding combat. If you tried hard I bet you could do it in 10 hours.
- Huge variety of items but very little need to use them. I often stuck with the 'best' items for combat but I got tons and tons and tons of stuff I wouldnt use.
- Its pretty obvious looking at media from developement that quite a lot hit the cutting room floor. I wish there was even more.
- Notable absences from the game that existed on the show that we would all have loved to see.

Should you get this game

No if:
- If you don't like turn based RPG's with Paper Mario style antics you'll dislike this
- If you don't like southparks absurdly offensive, often dark, sense of humor then you won't like this.
- if 15 hours is not enough gameplay for you, might want to wait for a price drop. I think its well worth the 60 bucks though.

Yes if:
- You're a southpark fan and love their sense of humor and want to support their efforts into this realm
- You're a fan of Paper Mario RPG's style combat and gameplay
- 15 hours sounds right to you
- you want to laugh your ass off while playing a video game
- (SPOILER) you've ever wanted to fight aborted nazi zombie babies.

Wow, didnt know boogie was on neogaf. Let me say I love all your videos (francis and your normal ones which I think are amazing) and Im a huge fan. And thanks for the review, im a big fan of south park, the mario rpgs and obsidian so this sounds all amazing.
Can't wait to get my hands on it.
Hope we can get more of your reviews through neogaf.

adj_noun

What's the significance of 84?

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/15/obsidian-promised-meta-85-bonus-for-fallout-new-vegas/
Obsidian was promised a bonus from Bethesda alongside straight payment on Fallout: New Vegas if it had hit an 85 on MetaCrtiic.

“FNV was a straight payment, no royalties, only a bonus if we got an 85+ on Metacritic, which we didn’t,” said Avellone.

Instead, it got 84 on PC and Xbox 360, with an 82 for the PS3 version.

Karak

My review for ACG- Link

Rated it a buy.
It reeks of stuff being cut though and I am wondering about DLC "episodes" and how they would be handled.

Didn't mind the length at all. It is a full game with stuff to do that entire time. 15+ hours for me.

I don't know if my opinion means shit to you because I'm just some fat neckbearded youtuber, but I am...
- a huge southpark fan
- a huge rpg fan
- huge fan of paper mario

and I fucking love this game. Its short, for sure. 15 hours. We all know there is a ton of footage and stills from the game that didn't make the final cut and will probably be sold back to us as DLC. I'm pretty much ok with that though because I really feel like I got my moneys worth at 15 bucks (especially since GreenManGaming has it for super cheap atm with a code)

The good
- Southpark humor
- nice big world full of tons of hidden stuff, side quests, etc
- true to the show, right down to the smallest details
- combat (especially on 'insane' difficulty) is deep and interesting... its basically Paper Mario with southpark insanity.
- The story is pretty much one giant episode of southpark (like a season long story arch almost) and its a great storyline as well.

The bad
- Did I mention its short at 15 hours? Do all of the content and I was done in 15 hours. Shorter if you speed through focusing on the quests and avoiding combat. If you tried hard I bet you could do it in 10 hours.
- Huge variety of items but very little need to use them. I often stuck with the 'best' items for combat but I got tons and tons and tons of stuff I wouldnt use.
- Its pretty obvious looking at media from developement that quite a lot hit the cutting room floor. I wish there was even more.
- Notable absences from the game that existed on the show that we would all have loved to see.

Should you get this game

No if:
- If you don't like turn based RPG's with Paper Mario style antics you'll dislike this
- If you don't like southparks absurdly offensive, often dark, sense of humor then you won't like this.
- if 15 hours is not enough gameplay for you, might want to wait for a price drop. I think its well worth the 60 bucks though.

Yes if:
- You're a southpark fan and love their sense of humor and want to support their efforts into this realm
- You're a fan of Paper Mario RPG's style combat and gameplay
- 15 hours sounds right to you
- you want to laugh your ass off while playing a video game
- (SPOILER) you've ever wanted to fight aborted nazi zombie babies.

Forgetting south park for a minute, Boogie you are such an amazing guy. You've inspired me to change my life and to learn to keep things in perspective and just roll with the bad. Had no idea you were on GAF, so I just wanted to take this opportunity to say you're a great man, and thank you.

GlamFM

Banned

I don't know if my opinion means shit to you.

Of course it does - You´re Boogie after all!

I really enjoyed all your work during the console launches - good stuff.

Didn´t know you were on GAF.

Welcome!

antitrop

GameTrailers review intro was perfect.

I think there really are a lot of people that think Brandon Jones reviews every game on GT.

Zaph

Oh fuck, is history repeating itself?

T48aUA2.png

Hopefully Obsidian haven't got another bullshit 85 Metacritic bonus deal and they get rewarded for accomplishing the near impossible - making a fantastic licensed game. They should all go and party with Rocksteady.

Sotha_Sil

They won't get screwed, unless they're utterly incompetent at learning from their mistakes and writing decent contracts.

As much as I love Obsidian, I don't pity them for the 84/New Vegas thing. They signed the papers before starting the project.

And I am glad the game has scored as well as it has. Pillars of Eternity is looking amazing... I hope these two games mark a comeback for Obsidian.

eival

i love how the top bullet points for both IGN and IGN Itally are all basically subjective opinions dealing with none of the actual game mechanics for why its gets a 90 and 95 other than just "its south park" followed by "Legitimately funny" and "Canada...Just...Canada"

at least IGN Italy actually mention that there's 7 censored scenes on the console version, which is right on their negative bullet points and not buried in the wall of text, which is probably where (if even) mentioned on these other reviews.

so at least kudos for them for giving some what of a feasible score conclusion reasoning.

Hubble

i love how the top bullet points for both IGN and IGN Itally are all basically subjective opinions dealing with none of the actual game mechanics for why its gets a 90 and 95 other than just "its south park" followed by "Legitimately funny" and "Canada...Just...Canada"

at least IGN Italy actually mention that there's 7 censored scenes on the console version, which is right on their negative bullet points and not buried in the wall of text, which is probably where (if even) mentioned on these other reviews.

so at least kudos for them for giving some what of a feasible score conclusion reasoning.

Honestly, having checked reviews of many sites for awhile I always found IGN's score much more reliable especially when compared to Gamespot. I've highly enjoyed games and thought they were awesome that scored well on IGN but not so much on Gamespot. Of course this is subjective but I've found IGN scores to be much more realistic of a gamers opinion.

The last thing I watched South Park related was probably the movie. I think the humor is pretty hit or miss with me.

While I'm not pissing myself with laughter at any of the dialog, I do find myself smiling here and there. And I'm LOVING the combat\RPG elements. It's actually a really cool game. I'm looking forward to getting home from work and playing more of it. Not something I get to say all that often.

Majine

Banned
I'm so pissed about the censorship in EU. If I want South Park anything, I want it fucking unfiltered. Pure Matt and Trey. Otherwise, what's the point?

muzzymate

So glad this game is getting mostly positive reviews. Hoping Ubisoft ports it to next-gen consoles like Rayman Legends (which I purchased; great game BTW).

Planning to either wait for that port or pick up the current gen version in Fall when prices drop. My 360 is falling apart and I don't have a capable PC that I could play this on.

I havent had the time to read any of the reviews but I have played about 2 hours of the game on PC. What are the problems/glitches people re mentioning? I have yet to experience anything wrong with the PC port as of yet.

NotLiquid

I havent had the time to read any of the reviews but I have played about 2 hours of the game on PC. What are the problems/glitches people re mentioning? I have yet to experience anything wrong with the PC port as of yet.

I think there was supposed to be a day one patch for the commercial release. Not sure how many bugs are fixed in that or if the reviews took Ubisoft's guide into account or not, but it seemed like a good deal of stuff got fixed.

Figured as much. He was certainly hinting at disappointment in his posts here. I've been playing the PC version since it unlocked with zero technical issues, but with any Obsidian game you have to expect a few. Maybe the console versions have more problems...

Did you guys see the comment section in Kotaku? One guy accuses the reviewer of click bait after he posted up proof that the game was stuttering like a mother fucker.

What bugs me is that we CONSTANTLY hear people bitching about how reviewers don't get into the details of the technical issues and problems that most games have, and instead just write it off as "A few technical hiccups". Here, Kotaku's reviewer made a HUGE point of showing what, for most people on GAF, would be a deal breaker. ANd he gets shit for it. If anything we need MORE people who are sensitive to things like screen tearing, frame drops, and the latter to start commenting about those issues rather than accusing them of click bait. The gaming community can be fucking ridiculous sometimes.

Top Bottom