• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth - Review Thread

Amir0x

Banned
Is the PC version problematic like the console versions apparently are? Does anyone have a gauge on that yet?

Eusis

Is the PC version problematic like the console versions apparently are? Does anyone have a gauge on that yet?
Performances wise - not really, unless you count the 30 FPS lock, which is probably one of the few times it's really justified for the visuals. If they didn't have that lock I'd have wanted it to be an option anyway to really make it look like the show.

Bug wise - Seems to be an issue still, certainly I had my weird one of falling off the toilet while trying to poop and being unable to complete my poop, so I had to reload a save.

derExperte

Anyone know how this performs on PC vs consoles?

http://kotaku.com/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-the-kotaku-review-1535203089

Worst of all, playing the game on Xbox 360 led to constant stuttering that made the whole game feel one turbulent airplane ride. I wanted to take a Dramamine after playing.P

I captured some footage to show you what it's like. Note the major stutters at 0:04, 0:11, etc., and the minor stutters throughout. That's not YouTube. It's the game.P

Isolated these stutters aren't so bad, but when they happen every few seconds, they become unbearable. I couldn't walk anywhere in Stick of Truth without feeling like I was sitting through an earthquake. That's on Xbox 360, with my game installed to the hard-drive, and the day-one patch installed. Your experience may vary, and some people might not even run into this stuttering—I asked a few other reviewers, and only one had run into the same problem—but for me this was a critical flaw.P

The PC version runs more smoothly, but has its own technical issues.

openworld

Neo Member
I want to avoid spoilers: some say it's quite easy. aren't there difficulty options? someone (of the reviewers or you) played it on hard?

Eusis

Kind of reminds me of Dark Souls, without the resolution idiocy. Even without 60 FPS it's still the technically superior one for a stable 30 FPS.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I don't really see why people care about the difficulty, not every game needs to be Dark Souls.

Smurf

Banned
Think I'll wait for a price drop. Short game, high price and technical issues are a mix that just really is not acceptable.

Fjordson

Really looking forward to this, but I'll probably wait it out a bit due to technical issues.

Actually was the same with New Vegas (I know, I know, not all Obsidian's fault). I picked it up day one, but ended up quitting and lending it to a friend because of some nasty glitches and performance issues. Didn't become one of my all-time favourites until I picked it back up 6+ months later.

Eusis

I don't really see why people care about the difficulty, not every game needs to be Dark Souls.
There's a whole spectrum between Epic Yarn push over and Diablo Hardcore, and besides the fact Dark Souls isn't even near that extreme end of the hard spectrum a game can be a lot more enjoyable just having a good bite to the difficulty. Why be dismissive of the notion of wanting a good challenge anyway when the game explicitly has difficulty settings anyway?

Anyways, I've had my partner get knocked out a few times so far on Hardcore, so that works well enough I guess. I was kind of suspecting Normal was for those who don't frequently play RPGs, and Casual for those who REALLY don't want to sweat RPG stuff at all.

Smurf

Banned

Why would it puzzle you that people enjoy challenge in their games? Nobody is asking for Dark Souls but if it's a 10 hour rpg that can be breezed through on hard difficulty there's not a whole lot in the game to interest you past a weekend.
Trophies seem to indicate that it'll have a very high platinum percentage rate which is a shame. If renting still existed in this part of the world it seems like the perfect game to go down that route for.

Only read Gamespot and Kotaku's reviews but I'm really excited from them (and that's from two of the slightly more negative ones).

The length does sound like a bit of a bummer, Kotaku spent 10 hours and apparently did most side quests. Still, i'll probably take longer because I'll enjoy exploring areas and check everything out.

Maxxan

I want to avoid spoilers: some say it's quite easy. aren't there difficulty options? someone (of the reviewers or you) played it on hard?

I've been playing on the hard difficulty setting. I find the difficulty to be fairly similar to, say, Chrono Trigger in that regard. You can change the difficulty at any time during the game.

I've been playing on the hard difficulty setting. I find the difficulty to be fairly similar to, say, Chrono Trigger in that regard. You can change the difficulty at any time during the game.

Might start with hard then to give it bit more of a challenge.

-MD-

Only read Gamespot and Kotaku's reviews but I'm really excited from them (and that's from two of the slightly more negative ones).

The length does sound like a bit of a bummer, Kotaku spent 10 hours and apparently did most side quests. Still, i'll probably take longer because I'll enjoy exploring areas and check everything out.

I honestly don't see how this game can be 10 hours long, steam says I've played 4.2 hours and I just started the 2nd quest Cartman gives you.

I have a feeling my playthrough is gonna be pretty long if everyone else claims they're running through the game in 8-10 hours.

The reported length doesn't bother me considerably. The death knell for RPGs with me these days is crazy lengths... a dozen hours with a funny and easy-going RPG in the South Park world sounds ideal.

jschreier

Reads Kotaku's not yet
Has a video to indicate its bugs
"see 0:04 and 0:11 especially to see major stuttering"
Doesn't see any major stuttering

I'm getting old I guess.
I'm seeing a few comments like this. I thought the stuttering was pretty obvious in that clip (and imagine that happening for the entire game) but if you don't see it, feel free to read that NOT YET as a YES.

hohoXD123

I'm seeing a few comments like this. I thought the stuttering was pretty obvious in that clip (and imagine that happening for the entire game) but if you don't see it, feel free to read that NOT YET as a YES.

Wait was that the most major issue or something? What about the save bug and characters disappearing?

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
What are you even babbling on about?

Just saying that they shouldn't criticize GTA for being politically incorrect when they have no problem with South Park which is ten times as offensive

I wrote the comment because I mistakenly thought that the South Park and GTA V Gamespot reviews were done by the same person...

ViciousDS

Banned
the only thing that saddens me is that its not a really long RPG......:( whatever I know I'm probably going to play through on every class XD

and its not like Dark Souls 2, Titanfall, FFX, and Infamous SS come out this month XD

Mondy

Banned
If I can play through KOTOR 2, Oblivion and Skyrim and enjoy it regardless of the bugs, I can play anything. Bring it on.

-GJ-

Reads Kotaku's not yet
Has a video to indicate its bugs
"see 0:04 and 0:11 especially to see major stuttering"
Doesn't see any major stuttering

I'm getting old I guess.

To be fair, the stuttering is there and is noticeable, but I hardly noticed it when I was playing the game myself. It was only when I was playing it with a group of friends and I was a spectator, that the stuttering became really noticeable. It didn't bother me one bit though.

If this was out for PS4 it would be day one, no question. Unfortunately I think I'll have to wait for a price drop to pick it up for PS3 even though I know this game should be worth 60 bucks.

Gothos

the only thing that saddens me is that its not a really long RPG......:( whatever I know I'm probably going to play through on every class XD

and its not like Dark Souls 2, Titanfall, FFX, and Infamous SS come out this month XD

Basing on some of the reviews it's really light on RPG aspects so I wouldn't treat it as a true RPG title. In light of that it doesn't surprise me that it's quite short.

Basing on some of the reviews it's really light on RPG aspects so I wouldn't treat it as a true RPG title. In light of that it doesn't surprise me that it's quite short.

Uh, no. The game is a real RPG. And there's no real connection between that and length anyway.

Garland7G

PS3 version is stuttering all over the place while exploring the city, for me anyway. But its still fun, 60$ fun, I don't know yet as I'm only a few hours in.

I saw that clip and maybe its internet magic but I didn't see any problems at the times you mentioned either :/

Synless

Never in my life did I think to see a South Park game, let alone an RPG, score higher than Final Fantasy. S-E should be ashamed.

Finally I can talk about this game.

I don't know if my opinion means shit to you because I'm just some fat neckbearded youtuber, but I am...
- a huge southpark fan
- a huge rpg fan
- huge fan of paper mario

and I fucking love this game. Its short, for sure. 15 hours. We all know there is a ton of footage and stills from the game that didn't make the final cut and will probably be sold back to us as DLC. I'm pretty much ok with that though because I really feel like I got my moneys worth at 15 bucks (especially since GreenManGaming has it for super cheap atm with a code)

The good
- Southpark humor
- nice big world full of tons of hidden stuff, side quests, etc
- true to the show, right down to the smallest details
- combat (especially on 'insane' difficulty) is deep and interesting... its basically Paper Mario with southpark insanity.
- The story is pretty much one giant episode of southpark (like a season long story arch almost) and its a great storyline as well.

The bad
- Did I mention its short at 15 hours? Do all of the content and I was done in 15 hours. Shorter if you speed through focusing on the quests and avoiding combat. If you tried hard I bet you could do it in 10 hours.
- Huge variety of items but very little need to use them. I often stuck with the 'best' items for combat but I got tons and tons and tons of stuff I wouldnt use.
- Its pretty obvious looking at media from developement that quite a lot hit the cutting room floor. I wish there was even more.
- Notable absences from the game that existed on the show that we would all have loved to see.

Should you get this game

No if:
- If you don't like turn based RPG's with Paper Mario style antics you'll dislike this
- If you don't like southparks absurdly offensive, often dark, sense of humor then you won't like this.
- if 15 hours is not enough gameplay for you, might want to wait for a price drop. I think its well worth the 60 bucks though.

Yes if:
- You're a southpark fan and love their sense of humor and want to support their efforts into this realm
- You're a fan of Paper Mario RPG's style combat and gameplay
- 15 hours sounds right to you
- you want to laugh your ass off while playing a video game
- (SPOILER) you've ever wanted to fight aborted nazi zombie babies.

Oh NeoGAF. You know I like you guys, but PLEASE stop diminishing the meaning of numbers by calling 7/10, a GOOD score, a "lowball." Not only do you undermine the very 1-10 point scale most of you wish reviewers would utilize properly, you also argue for a hive mind, where everybody gives the game the same score.

Of course, I've said this a dozen times, and will say it again I am sure. But please try not to.

In any case, I am surprised the reviews are all so positive. I expected my Escapist review would actually be considered an outlier. Pleasantly surprised, though!

Game seems to be reviewing well, but not well enough to get me to buy at this time. South Park's humor and aesthetic doesn't appeal to me all that much anymore like it did 10+ years ago, but I may still grab TSoT during a Steam sale. The gripes mentioned indicate to me that this is a typical Obsidian product - great in story and writing, but lacking in technical polish (bugs) and hit-or-miss in the gameplay department. Replace South Park's style, aesthetic and humor with a style more commonly found in today's WRPGs and I think the review scores would be far lower.

samn

I have the same issues on my crappy laptop with pretty much any game, it's 'playable' but it gives me nausea and headaches after a while. So it can be a major issue.

Top Bottom