• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth - Review Thread

DryvBy

Seems to be very subjective. I'm jealous. I wish I could play the game without noticing it.

Do this:

Why-does-my-eye-twitch.jpg

Endo Punk

The reviews and the humor convinced me to purchase the game but not day 1 and definitely NA import. Probably get on it by Easter.

Love South Park brand of crude humor and the fact there is a fart button sealed the deal.

PC version

I've encountered only one problem, and that was during the tutorial. Unfortunately I was unable to progress and had to reload the last checkpoint.

It happened when
I was being taught how to block. Blocking knocked the enemy off balance and you have a chance to hit him while he's down. I was unable to hit him. He just sat there waiting for me to hit him but I was unable to. Reloaded and got through it just fine.

I was surprised to run into something so early that prevented me from progressing, but I haven't had any problems since.

Unexpectedly high marks, really happy for the team.

Derrick is gone so I'll say that technical issues are excusable because Obsidian. Which is bullshit, but unless I lose my save, I'll manage.

Mondy

Banned
Unexpectedly high marks, really happy for the team.

Derrick is gone so I'll say that technical issues are excusable because Obsidian. Which is bullshit, but unless I lose my save, I'll manage.

PS Plus uploads solve that bug by default, even if it doesn't exist.

Grief.exe

PC version

I've encountered only one problem, and that was during the tutorial. Unfortunately I was unable to progress and had to reload the last checkpoint.

It happened when
I was being taught how to block. Blocking knocked the enemy off balance and you have a chance to hit him while he's down. I was unable to hit him. He just sat there waiting for me to hit him but I was unable to. Reloaded and got through it just fine.

I was surprised to run into something so early that prevented me from progressing, but I haven't had any problems since.

I had the exact same issue, reload fixed it.

hohoXD123

Also terrible, but it's the stuttering that really ruined things for me. If not for that, it'd probably be a YES, bugs aside.

Fair enough, props to you for making it such a major point in your review instead of just glossing over it.

Somebody was a ghost. Its been a long time. lol
It was
Snake

Finally I can talk about this game.

I don't know if my opinion means shit to you because I'm just some fat neckbearded youtuber, but I am...
- a huge southpark fan
- a huge rpg fan
- huge fan of paper mario

and I fucking love this game. Its short, for sure. 15 hours. We all know there is a ton of footage and stills from the game that didn't make the final cut and will probably be sold back to us as DLC. I'm pretty much ok with that though because I really feel like I got my moneys worth at 15 bucks (especially since GreenManGaming has it for super cheap atm with a code)

The good
- Southpark humor
- nice big world full of tons of hidden stuff, side quests, etc
- true to the show, right down to the smallest details
- combat (especially on 'insane' difficulty) is deep and interesting... its basically Paper Mario with southpark insanity.
- The story is pretty much one giant episode of southpark (like a season long story arch almost) and its a great storyline as well.

The bad
- Did I mention its short at 15 hours? Do all of the content and I was done in 15 hours. Shorter if you speed through focusing on the quests and avoiding combat. If you tried hard I bet you could do it in 10 hours.
- Huge variety of items but very little need to use them. I often stuck with the 'best' items for combat but I got tons and tons and tons of stuff I wouldnt use.
- Its pretty obvious looking at media from developement that quite a lot hit the cutting room floor. I wish there was even more.
- Notable absences from the game that existed on the show that we would all have loved to see.

Should you get this game

No if:
- If you don't like turn based RPG's with Paper Mario style antics you'll dislike this
- If you don't like southparks absurdly offensive, often dark, sense of humor then you won't like this.
- if 15 hours is not enough gameplay for you, might want to wait for a price drop. I think its well worth the 60 bucks though.

Yes if:
- You're a southpark fan and love their sense of humor and want to support their efforts into this realm
- You're a fan of Paper Mario RPG's style combat and gameplay
- 15 hours sounds right to you
- you want to laugh your ass off while playing a video game
- (SPOILER) you've ever wanted to fight aborted nazi zombie babies.
Sweet, just what I expected then. I'll probably wait a bit to get a better idea of how common these bugs are and if they get fixed before jumping in. Stay awesome boogie.

Damaniel

Banned
This will be the first Obsidian game I've ever bought at full price, day one. Feels good.

This was my second - I sadly paid full price for Dungon Siege 3 as a pre-order. I've already played this game far more than I did Dungeon Siege, and it's a far better game (and fairly lacking in the bug department on PC, at least for me - sucks to hear about the performance issues on the console versions.)

It's only 15 hours? That's pretty sad, but damn, now I wish I'd rented it. It would have been perfect to fill the week two days of the week until Dark Souls 2.

Am_I_Evil

PC version

It happened when

I had the exact same issue on the xbox 360

Nintyb

Banned
Been playing the 360 version and haven't seen any stuttering. The load times kind of suck before battles but it's not too big a deal.

The game is ace.

foolish people were expecting jrpg lengths

Seriously I can't believe anyone expected some huge game from this. It's absolutely fucking filled with quality and small touches that makes it feel like a south park episode, there's lots of stuff in there. It's not like it's 8 hours out grinding on an open field or anything, it's actual solid entertainment.

Eusis

I think some people were expecting/hoping for 20-30 rather than 10-20. I don't really think that's unreasonable length-wise, it's still a shorter game then and it might not over stay its welcome. 50+ is ridiculous, but has anyone said they wanted that? And if so was it more than one or two people?

quest

Not Banned from OT
About the length it sounds like there is no filler and pretty polished. I rather have game shorter with no filler. Than using filler to stretch the game out for the sake of making it longer. Honestly it is like TV with shorter seasons for HBO, Showtime,AMC and other networks vs the longer seasons of regular network TV. I can't wait to give this play when my wife goes out of town for training in April. Will be perfect to kill time in those 3 days.

ieatzombies

My god.. I haven't had a continuous smile on my face from a game in a looong time. This game drips with love and care. I am absolutely loving this! Completely worth the wait.

Teletraan1

Banned
PC version

It happened when

Had this exact bug on PC, I screamed out OBSIDIAN at my TV, luckily I only had to reload a save from 1 minute earlier, it worked the second time and have never experienced anything strange since. Game has had me laughing out loud like a lunatic for hours now. It lived up to my hype and more. This was my most anticipated game of the year and last year.

Steffen

Banned
PC version

It happened when

Weird, I ran into this exact problem. And yeah, once I reloaded from last checkpoint then it worked fine.

OriginX

PC version

It happened when

Yeah, exactly the same thing happened to me at the exactly same part of the tutorial. And same fix as well, everything has been grand since I reloaded.

Am I the only one around here that doesn't understand the hype for this game? South Park is the last thing I'd want to play on my PS4.

I'm about 5 hours into the game now... and it's really not that great. The main quest stuff is excellent, but the majority of the game isn't that, it's side quests of varying degrees of interesting.

Super South Park fans definitely will love all of the references and love letters to them, but it does feel rather weak in the gameplay department, especially if you have a strong need to collect everything/do all of the side quests as soon as they appear.

Wolff

From what i've seen it is an OK game but a great laugh. Since i like South Park but i'm not that much into it, i'll wait for a price drop to get it.

Eusis

Am I the only one around here that doesn't understand the hype for this game? South Park is the last thing I'd want to play on my PS4.
Because many of us want a funny RPG and not necessarily some graphical showpiece? It's undoubtedly part of why you don't even see TOO many complaints about a locked 30 FPS on PC since for once there's a legitimate stylistic reason (to look more like the TV show.)

And I could say this about a lot of games but unless they're crazy generic looking or do score really badly I value their existence for variety.

Have been playing the ps3 version. Schrier is correct in saying there is noticeable stuttering on the ps3 version, but it doesn't effect combat and isn't game breaking at all. Highly recommend the game so far

Eusis

I suppose one could just pretend the stuttering makes it look more like the first few episodes (or first season period?) or something, heh.

I suppose one could just pretend the stuttering makes it look more like the first few episodes (or first season period?) or something, heh.

Not an excuse for Obsidian, but you're actually onto something. Due to the nature of the game it really is passable in this very rare case

Played for about five hours yestertoday and after encountering zero technical issues, I can say with confidence that the Kotaku "review" is a fucking joke.

Sendou

Played for about five hours yestertoday and after encountering zero technical issues, I can say with confidence that the Kotaku "review" is a fucking joke.

True.

After all if technical problems exist every user experiences them the same way. It's not like video games are interactive or anything.

True.

After all if technical problems exist every user experiences them the same way. It's not like video games are interactive or anything.

I realize you're being sarcastic but after a write-up like the one Kotaku delivered, you'd expect a steaming pile of clusterfuck instead of a 100% smooth experience.

PS3 version for me and the only technical bug I saw in 2 hours of play was the stuttering during autosave. Everything else has been just fine.

adj_noun

360 disc, installed to drive. I've had the background music cut out a few times and some stuttering, but nothing too bad.

Other than that, no problems to report. Been absolutely loving it so far.

Top Bottom