• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park's out. Is the fish minigame handled well? Should it be in the game?

...................................................what

I don't have a dog in this fight but you need to not chop his words up up like that and read the full sentence, they specifically say "here" right after where you cut the quote, and then refers to an American presence, meaning they are likely not from the United States.

Now, as an American myself I have no idea when different forms of racism made their way to different countries and cultures so I have no clue if what they're saying is accurate, but come on.

--

On topic, haven't played the game yet myself but when I first saw the image in the OP and learned it's supposed to be Kanye's mom-fish, I just saw a black fish wearing lipstick to indicate it was female. But since this is South Park we're talking about here it could totally be meant to be taken the other way too. Has anyone from South Park Studios or Ubisoft commented on it yet?

Have you even been to Darwin before?
They are treated with massive amounts of respect. Police even go out of their way to taxi them to locations if they ask.

Don’t just read the news go and see it for yourself.
I lived in Alice Springs for the first 21 years of my life. Miss me with this shit

Vimes

Man this thread is great for my ignore list.

So many racists and racist apologists.

Yeah this and the other thread really outed some people. My gaf experience has been significantly cleaner after ignoring half the people in the first thread. SP always seems to make a certain class of person show their ass.

Enzom21

You seem to just be pointing fingers at people wanting to say they are racist.
"Hes not black so its a non issue on the internet."
This was your post, was it not?
If you don't have issue with stereotypes as you claim then the reason you posted that nugget of brilliance is because you have issue with the people who do, correct?

I don't have a dog in this fight but you need to not chop his words up up like that and read the full sentence, they specifically say "here" right after where you cut the quote, and then refers to an American presence, meaning they are likely not from the United States.

Now, as an American myself I have no idea when different forms of racism made their way to different countries and cultures so I have no clue if what they're saying is accurate, but come on.

They are from Australia and blackface was very much a thing there. So the "...................................................what" is quite accurate.

Biscotti

Neo Member
"Hes not black so its a non issue on the internet."
This was your post, was it not?
If you don't have issue with stereotypes as you claim then the reason you posted that nugget of brilliance is because you have issue with the people who do, correct?

They are from Australia and blackface was very much a thing there. So the "...................................................what" is quite accurate.

Stereotypes can be distasteful. There is soo much fucked up stuff in south park and maybe thats not for some people, I fully understand that. My original quote " hes not black so its a non issue" was said because of how much stuff SP makes fun of but this is the one thing people care about.

bitbydeath

So are you sticking with the claim that blackface wasn't a thing there until 10 years ago?

2009 was when it was called out, the same guys have dressed up singing as MJ and co before and not a word was ever mentioned.

It’s an American issue not an Australian one hence why it wasn’t relevant.

Kusagari

Apart from Gorgeous in 2007 what songs?

The only other song was Made in America on WTT where he says," South Park had them all laughing. Now all my niggas designing and we all swagging"

South Park has attacked Ye more times than he's even mentioned them.

kirblar

We are talking about a game that bases it's difficulty on the color of your character's skin.

Should ANYONE be surprised?
The difficulty slider is a joke that's also social commentary here.

With the fish design, it's absent any social commentary, or any humor. Normally, if they go for something tasteless, it's done in a silly, irreverant way, or done via Cartman, who's evil incarnate and meant as an anti-role model.

Neither of these things is going on here, it's just presented as-is. There's no joke or humor, it's just presented straight-up, and its a very big departure from how they normally handle this type of thing.

Ah I see I see. Is there any accuracy to the claim it's something Australia only "got" in the last ten years? Not like that makes it better or much of a difference I'm just curious. In PewdiePie threads I'd read about defenders saying shit like "Oh he's not from America he doesn't know any better it's not a thing over there" but that's always seemed suspect to me. In school growing up we always had to learn about other cultures, is that not a thing in other countries? How could someone in the last 10, 20, 30, etc years not know that shit like the n-word or black face are fucked up and you shouldn't do that? Do people walk around in blackface in Japan like it's ok just because they don't have the same history of slavery that America did or something?

The only other song was Made in America on WTT where he says," South Park had them all laughing. Now all my niggas designing and we all swagging"

South Park has attacked Ye more times than he's even mentioned them.

Ah okay. Thank you

Doesn't excuse them blackfacing his dead mother anyhow.

bitbydeath

L Thammy

“blackface is only 10 years old” and “racism still exists because non-racists keep talking about it” is some of the most NeoGAF shit i’ve heard in awhile

Blackface was first practiced in 2009, as a response to the sudden appearance of black people on the surface world after being born from volcanic activity

seriously, what the fuck

Enzom21

It backs up my statement so it is correct.

That was when it was shown here as being ‘bad’ due to the international (‘American‘) outcry.

By the mid-1950s the “blackfaced coon-singers” started to disappear in Australia [4]. In the mid-1960s the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper noted a “growing trend” of black people playing black—and white— people’s roles [5].

Jedda was Australia’s first film in which Aboriginal characters were played by Aboriginal actors. However, the ‘half-caste’ character Joe was played by a white actor in blackface [11].

Towards the end of the 1960s America had banned the impersonation of black people through blackface “because of racial feelings” [6], which made a visiting Australian theatre troupe substitute the make-up with eye masks [6].
This seems quite a bit longer than 10 years ago. It doesn't backup your ridiculous statement that it wasn't a thing more than 10 years ago.

That was when it was shown here as being ‘bad’ due to the international (‘American‘) outcry.
It was shown here as being bad due to that incident appearing on national television. If it had appeared on television in the years prior to that similar outcry would have occurred.

The fact that it was deemed acceptable to appear on the show doesn’t prove that Australia didn’t think blackface was racist, just that it was an accepted form of racism. Anyone saying otherwise is being wilfully ignorant

Kusagari

That was when it was shown here as being ‘bad' due to the international (‘American‘) outcry.

There is a history of Blackface in Australia. It is a hurtful and degrading history that denied our right to self representation and helped to create the racial stereotypes that plague our nation today.—Jirra Lulla Harvey, Aboriginal journalist

So this is a lie?

Sounds more like the issue came into the public conscious because a famous Black American celebrity was confronted by it and finally gave Aboriginals a voice.

bitbydeath

This seems quite a bit longer than 10 years ago. It doesn't backup your ridiculous statement that it wasn't a thing more than 10 years ago.

1960 ban is America, indigenous Australia had no problem with it and as stated from your quote they even used it in their own performances.

L Thammy

I'm not even sure why we're arguing Australia here. First off, aren't indigenous Australians a separate population from the American blacks that the the mammy stereotype exists to whitewash the history of (I'd say "caricaturize" but that stereotype doesn't seem to have been rooted in actual folk memory)?

Kebiinu

Banned
"I don't see color." is so incredibly offensive. Color is culture. I'm black before I'm anything else, and telling me you don't see color, is telling me you don't see part of what makes me, me. See my color, know that I'm black, act accordingly.

Thinking racism will go away if we stop talking about it, is such a headass thing to say. Spare me.

As for this Kanye gag, it's the main reason I'm not purchasing the game. Shame, cause outside this tacky humor, its an actual good game.

I'm not even sure why we're arguing Australia here. First off, aren't indigenous Australians a separate population from the American blacks that the the mammy stereotype exists to whitewash the history of (I'd say "caricaturize" but that stereotype doesn't seem to have been rooted in actual folk memory)?
Yeah, this is true. The Australian argument is only here to try to dismiss blackface and stereotypes as being a niche problem that doesn’t even offend most black people outside of America (which is untrue)

The quote Enzom used states that.
No it didn’t. It says that black people began to play black roles

TheBlack12elve

Neo Member
Apart from Gorgeous in 2007 what songs?

Wait a tick, you want me to do........RESEARCH?!?!??

I'll not fall into your trap this day, sir/madam!!!

Just kidding, but it does seem like I imagined one song.

The other was "Made in America". My wife says she thinks there was one on the most recent album but i haven't listened yup that one yet to have an idea.

Wait a tick, you want me to do........RESEARCH?!?!??

I'll not fall into your trap this day, sir/madam!!!

Just kidding, but it does seem like I imagined one song.

The other was "Made in America". My wife says she thinks there was one on the most recent album but i haven't listened yup that one yet to have an idea.

Someone else did your research for you in the case of that song lol

L Thammy

Coincidentally, I posted this in an unrelated off-topic thread a little while ago, but I'm thinking similar things with this situation:

"I'm not really familiar with David Cross outside of Tobias Fünke (and I'm pretty tepid towards Arrested Development to be honest) so maybe this doesn't apply, but:

I think a lot of people take the "one of the good ones" perspective of themselves when making jokes. Irony's a dangerous game even when you're trying to do it well with because having good intentions doesn't stop you from normalizing thoughts and behaviours. You have to make extra sure; my family jokes about our own race(s) when we're together but I wouldn't risk telling some of those same jokes in front of an audience.

Still, a lot of people get it into their mind that they're using their jokes to fight racism and their intention is good, and that eventually becomes viewed as a license to make offensive jokes, no matter how little thought was put into them or who the joke is actually mocking in reality.

Not saying this justifies anything he does, but in the case that this was something he did when he was high and can't remember, and if this is something he wouldn't do when sober, maybe that would make it more difficult for him to accept. Like, you've been telling yourself that your jokes have been okay because you're the good guy, and so accepting that maybe they aren't always okay throw them all into question."​

bitbydeath

This is either pure ignorance, in that you truly think that's how the world works, or intellectual dishonesty, in that you understand what you're saying is rubbish but feel the need to be argumentative.

So in your mind I’m wrong either way? Right......

L Thammy

So in your mind I'm wrong either way? Right......

Regardless of your motive for saying stupid things, the thing you said will continue to be stupid. Not everything is a coin toss just because.

If I say that the sky is plaid, there isn't a 50/50 chance because my statement is either right or wrong. People will go outside and see that I'm wrong.

L Thammy

Alright, I'm done then, clearly your all happy with the status quo.

Which status quo, that the PC police are acknowledging racism instead of sweeping it under the rug or that people aren't treating whiteface as bad as blackface even though whiteface wasn't done to justify oppression? Because you've argued both.

bitbydeath

Which status quo, that the PC police are acknowledging racism instead of sweeping it under the rug or that people aren't treating whiteface as bad as blackface even though whiteface wasn't done to justify oppression? Because you've argued both.

Last post, status quo being not even wanting to change, it has to start with YOU, yes YOU. Expecting others to change is like wishing for world peace.

It’s like how you do someone a favour and they then do a favour for someone else and so on, that is the only way to incite change not getting yourselves upset.

Surely there are more important things in your lives, embrace the good, push out the bad, it is not ignorant as you all like to say, it applies to anything, it doesn’t need to be as large as you make it but that is entirely up to YOU.

L Thammy

Last post, status quo being not even wanting to change, it has to start with YOU, yes YOU. Expecting others to change is like wishing for world peace.

It's like how you do someone a favour and they then do a favour for someone else and so on, that is the only way to incite change not getting yourselves upset.

Surely there are more important things in your lives, embrace the good, push out the bad, it is not ignorant as you all like to say, it applies to anything, it doesn't need to be as large as you make it but that is entirely up to YOU.

Okay. Then change.

Unless you mean me as in me, L Thammy, specifically, and that bitbydeath has no responsibility for racism.

I also noticed how you still aren't telling us what the status quo you're so upset about is, with regards to racism itself.

Top Bottom