• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Southern europe is still sonyland...

Did the Greek government pass some law banning gaming in some sort? At least that is what looked on the news here a year or two ago, IIRC.
LOL, yeah, that was about 3-4 years ago. The controversial law was intended to ban electronic gambling machines (due to a scandal) which theoritically are "electronic games" as well... So, the law was so vague and badly written, by ignorant politicians who didn't even bother to pinpoint the difference that police suddenly started to apprehend internet cafe owners, who let their customers play games!! Even more than that, stores who had console stands in fear of being prosecuted withdrew them. There was such a commotion here (net cafe owners obviously did not like that) and European Union intervened as well, so the government who hadn't realised up to this point what mess that law had caused, was forced to modify that law and make the difference between gambling and non-gambling games clear. Thank god, gaming life is back to normal.

Don't they do some funky mixture between kebab and sandwich there? There are a couple of greek restaurants here that serve GYROS (not the human scout flier unit) or something like that. It's like fast food but healthier looking. A good choice if you are in a hurry.
From Wikipedia: Gyros or gyro (Greek: γύρος, "turning") is a Greek fast food; it is a kind of meat roasted on a vertical rotisserie. By extension, gyros may refer to the pita sandwich it is often served in, with various salads and sauces. The most common fillings are tomato, onions and tzatziki sauce. In Greece and Cyprus, the meat is typically pork, chicken, or lamb, and occasionally beef.

Donnie

First it was "Europe is still Sonyland". Now its "Some countries in the South of Europe" are still Sonyland" :lol: Desperation or what..

fmcato

radeonxt said:
Yes but that has nothing to be with our richness, we've got a lot of inflation, because we are very consumist here. We buy LOT of ''brand'' products, instead of ''white brands'' most of the people buy clothes in ''zara, calvin klein, tommy, ralhp laurent, pull & bear, instead of buying them at carrefour ie. Even the most of electronic devices consumers buy a ''sony, samsung, panasonic, etc.. rather than a ''bluesky (carrefour)'' ''hoher (fnac), Firstline... We are a very consumist country, and a little bit ''pijos'' in our desires mostly. Let's see if rising euribor Home prices low a bit. Changing from Pesetas to euros has converted into a big problem too :S things were a lot cheaper before :(

At least we have got Public hospitals :D I don't know how many countries in the world have got this.

True, when I stayed 9 months in Hamburg it was surprising to see a city where people earned much more than the average Spaniard and you had to make an effort to see people wearing popular brands. They just wore whatever was adequate without caring about the brand. Here every teenager is all over the most expensive Nike sport shoes and shirts with a gigantic "tommy hilfiger" sign on the back that looks horrible.

The public healthcare system is quite normal in European countries, and the Spanish one is not bad, although not the best. I'd say Germany had a better one.

J.M. Romeo said:
Where are you from, though? I used to visit also in family trips some towns in the north of Aragón (you know, mountain stuff and all) and the RE4 village also sort of reminds me of those. But the whole wooden house thing won't make too much sense given the usual temperatures and snow in those areas. I think that we can go on for way too long with this discussion so I will concede, the localization is shit, but I still think that the general look and feel is not THAT off for a old-ass abandoned mountain village.

I'm from Almería, in Andalucía.

As you say, the RE4 location is just the stereotypical mountain village, and it will have similarities with most mountain villages around the world. But no trace of typical Spanish characteristics, only the ones you expect to be there.

J.M. Romeo said:
EDIT: I have now googled SUPEIN in google images. Now I am actually laughing.

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~tod-mizu/toledo.htm There you go, all of the localization job needed for RE4 in a google hit for supein. Ah, Mikami, you rascal!

Oh wow. I nailed it. :lol

fmcato said:
True, when I stayed 9 months in Hamburg it was surprising to see a city where people earned much more than the average Spaniard and you had to make an effort to see people wearing popular brands. They just wore whatever was adequate without caring about the brand. Here every teenager is all over the most expensive Nike sport shoes and shirts with a gigantic "tommy hilfiger" sign on the back that look

Spain suffers from the new rich sindrome, thats why people buy based on brands, also because most of spanish are uneducated consumers, and they buy stuff just to show it off.

Spain economy is one of the fastest growing in Europe, but this growth basicly comes from the construction industry. This is not a heatlthy or sustainable growth. Spanish economic forecasts for the mid term looks grim. House prices will fall sooner or later, and Spain will suffer deflation just like Japan did in th 90s. The bad thing is that Spain has almost no industry to fall back on. Probably we will go back to be home of cheap ass tourism

Btw I'm missing Tzare and some other Eol-ers in this thread

Can he speak English?. It would be so fun to have him here. He is one of the most "special" people i ha read on the internet.

I have a pic to show :D

Welcome to the Canary Islands....

660jt3r.jpg

62xq7p1.jpg

Home of great beaches, hot women and also home of the highest rate of teen pregnancy in Europe

MaX_PL said:
didnt someone say that his friends in spain play ps3 on some 12 inch tv?

i just dont see a reason to buy the console without an HDTV.

My God. What do you americans think Spain is? You can barely find non-HDTV's in the stores right now :lol

30 years ago Spain and the US were absolutely antagonistic, but the growth of spain in the latest years have been orders of magnitude bigger than the US'. US is still richer, no doubt, but besides salary, HD broadcasts, Gas price, language and Internet ISP's, we are basically the same, with us having much better social services and thousands of less yearly killings (I envy you nevertheless :D)

*photo contest mode ON

Morbid Angel said:
Greeks of GAF unite! Let's take over the thread :D
Hehe, someone earlier mentioned the Canary Islands.. sorry but on the subject of "islands" you can't beat us.:D

Greek-Isles-Windmills.jpg

Blue-top.jpg

greek%20islands%20propertygr.jpg

Rhodes_Fortress.jpg

1.jpg

(the Colossus was built with its legs on top of these two columns - with the deers on them made later as a reminiscent of one the seven wonders of antiquity)

Though I bet this has little to do with South Europe being Sonyland. ^__^

sakuragi

Banned
As someone mentioned previously, If you think sales of the PS3 is impressive in these countries now, wait till next gen winning eleven PS3 is released over there :D and hopefully, with a price drop . This game is the killer application in Europe and somewhat in Asia.

stop posting pictures, if we had to post pictures about Italia, how many should we use? :D

3000 years of History, culture, architectures, literature, old cities, nice mountains, nice beaches, food, wine, nice girls (but i prefer japanese), sun, sea, football world champions, but we are really a sony land :(

Moor-Angol said:
stop posting pictures, if we had to post pictures about Italia, how many should we use? :D

3000 years of History, culture, architectures, literature, old cities, nice mountains, nice beaches, food, wine, nice girls (but i prefer japanese), sun, sea, football world champions, but we are really a sony land :(
France deserved it.

Ikael

¡Qué estupideza más grande! Los Españoles y Portugueses solo estan dandole permiso a Sony para cobrar demasiado por su producto en Iberia. No lo creyera si no fuera por un solo hecho: la cultura del machismo requiere que uno solo anda con lo que es percivido como lo más poderoso, lo más masculino.

Aunque hubiesen mejores productos en el mercado, el machismo siempre controla lo que el hombre compre. Además, el machismo es nada más que una imagen falsa. Por tanto, la propaganda de Sony funciona perfectamente en aquella región.

Yo lo considero una enfermedad cultural de la cual sufre todo el mundo hablahispano y las demás culturas latinas.

Sorry Squirrel, but your vission is wrong and stereotypical. Spain has "europeized" a lot since the start of the democracy, and I would dare to say that we are some of the most liberal countries up there with Holland, specially in issues like gay rights (or generally talking, the public perception of homosexuality), and don't get me started with the feminazist women organizations and the flack that videogaming got here because it is percieved as a "machist activity". The reason why Playstation sells so much here is simple:

Spain suffers from the new rich sindrome, thats why people buy based on brands, also because most of spanish are uneducated consumers, and they buy stuff just to show it off.

We started to develope a "consumer culture" wayyyyyyyyy latter than the rest of the world (the 60s), hence why Playstation has its advantages, It happens with everything: the leader of hte market with the highest brand perception trounces every other trademark (example: Coca Cola VS everything) specially if we are talking about markets that requires a little bit of consumer awarness or education (which we do lack of horribly). Spain is the EU country with some of the highest percentages of Windows, explorer and google users vs Linux, firefox, other web search engines because you know, why trying to learn about the possibilities of other brands when the TV tells you what is best?

Moor-Angol said:

I agree with you, dear black&white friend, but Italy is no more a Sony Land. Ok, PSP sometimes sells some hundreds more than the DS (always in the 1st/2nd positions), but Wii always sells more than the PS3 and the 360 (VERY LITTLE NUMBERS :lol).

Italy is a little market and it isn't important in the overall datas, but the sound has changed here, too. Nintendo is doing more than in the GC and GBA era in the marketing sector, even if Nintendo of Italy is yet directed by incompetents (but the PR are great :D).

Well, France didn't deserve the World Cup Champion. Ok, Domenech is an idiot, but Lippi is one of the greatest coaches in the world and in the squad we have Fabio Cannavaro (I hate it, because he left the Juve last year for $$, the Golden Ball (I don't know how to call that ball that France Football gives every year to the best player in Europe) and Fifa World Player, Gianluigi Buffon, undoubtely the best goalkeeper in the world and one of the greates of the whole history and the second place at the last Golden Ball, and a lot of great players, such as Alex Del Piero (my love :*), Alessandro Nesta, Gennaro Gattuso, Andrea Pirlo, Mauro German Camoranesi, Daniele De Rossi, Luca Toni, Filippo Inzaghi...

P.S: I love Zidane and I'm glad he did that bullshit to Materazzi, because he made easier to win the World Cup and because I hate Materazzi! :D

Moor-Angol said:
ahahahahah, yes, yes, of course :D

i love Trezeguet, cause he's a Juventus player and also missed a penalty at the right moment :D
This time I agree with you at the 100%. Trezeguet rules. 140 goals in seven years of Juve.

And now, let's kickin' ass of Inter F.C., the honest models of our last two SCUDETTI (Italy Championship, called Serie A). WE DESERVED THEM, don't hear the press.

Sony domination in Spain? Nintendo, pack it all up and GTFO, its all over!

Given the EU subsidies, am I indirectly paying for spaniards to own PS3s? And now that this is way off-topic; when is Spain going to stop propping itself up with other countries money?

Napoleonthechimp said:
Sony domination in Spain? Nintendo, pack it all up and GTFO, its all over!

Given the EU subsidies, am I indirectly paying for spaniards to own PS3s? And now that this is way off-topic; when is Spain going to stop propping itself up with other countries money?

With the new contries from eastern europe joining the UE Spain is now out of most of the subsidies. We officially reached convergence.

Back to the topic, sooner or later Spain will join the bus and follow the new leader...

F-Pina

This thread turned into a "my country is better than yours" kind of thing.
I know that my country (Portugal) is a lesser place compared to our friendly neghbours, but the vacations pics can fool anybody, anywhere. So here are some

Albufeira-bay-0795.jpg

porto_big_1.jpg

Lisboa_20-Baixa.jpg

Lisboa.jpg

By the way, to all the Spanish speaking NeoGaffers over here answer me this:
- Why do Portuguese ppl understand Spanish, but not the other way around? Im really curious on this one. Thanks!

itxaka

Defeatist
Orodreth said:
Nice pics, Radeon.

Btw I'm missing Tzare and some other Eol-ers in this thread :D

Quick, somebody call him and bring The albertos as well!! :D

You all STFU, the basque country is the most beautiful part of europe. period

Also, i thik that RE4 is based on spain for sure, the pesetas are there so thats a big point. They f***ed up on other things like the languaje, but the old village could be like that for the alone-ish (does this word even exist?) of the cult, like they are from 100 years ago, alone in their spot making their plans. Kind of the city of Innsmouth on Call of Cthulhu: DCotE.

stalker

F-Pina said:
By the way, to all the Spanish speaking NeoGaffers over here answer me this:
- Why do Portuguese ppl understand Spanish, but not the other way around? Im really curious on this one. Thanks!

From my experience, many portuguese (at least among young people), not only understand spanish but also can speak it decently. And this is without studying it at school.

I've always thought that this is related to you guys watching spanish tv and films in spanish, while we dub everything. Anyway, anyone from Spain would understand a portuguese who spoke a bit slowly. We just don't try.

I'm from Barcelona by the way, there are already some pictures from my city in the thread, so I won't add more.

EDIT: by the way, on-topic. 5 titles in the Top 10 2006 in Spain where DS games (in the Top 7 actually). The rest where PS2 games (PES5, PES6, NFSC, FIFA07 and Eye Toy 3). Nintendo has gained a lot of recognition since the DS emerged. The DS is of course the GBA succesor, but it has moved other things in the industry in Spain. It can easily be perceived by how its games are exposed in most shops. The Wii has also a much bigger impact than the xbox or especially the Gamecube in terms of public perception (anecdotal evidence, but quite evident); don't know how it reflects on sales though.

Kaworu

Spain Defence Force FTW.

4795695c315e998cc97418ccdc4b7212_extras_albumes_0.jpg

Basketball for us ;).

Ikael said:
Sorry Squirrel, but your vission is wrong and stereotypical. Spain has "europeized" a lot since the start of the democracy, and I would dare to say that we are some of the most liberal countries up there with Holland, specially in issues like gay rights (or generally talking, the public perception of homosexuality), and don't get me started with the feminazist women organizations and the flack that videogaming got here because it is percieved as a "machist activity".
This is true, but you mustn't forget that the word "Machismo" is a word invented in Spain. Regardless of whether or not womens' or gay rights have advanced in recent years, the concept and the culture of machismo still exists. For example, when was the last time you saw a Spanish man cry? How many men brag about the number of women they've slept with?

I do however, see your point about Spanish consumer culture, its uniformity and the uninformed nature of the Spanish consumer. That would indeed have more of an effect than machismo.

CaVaYeRo

Yeah, I'm also Spanish!

but I don't live in a beautiful city :(

It's always been Sonyland, but the NDS has been doing an incredible job (despite the PSP selling very well). Anyway, our Nintendo's Marketing Director killed the GameCube here (I guess it was one of the most significant failures) and there you have it, keeping his job ¬¬

Hey, radeon, I think I know you from EOL or something ;)

Ikael

This is true, but you mustn't forget that the word "Machismo" is a word invented in Spain. Regardless of whether or not womens' or gay rights have advanced in recent years, the concept and the culture of machismo still exists. For example, when was the last time you saw a Spanish man cry? How many men brag about the number of women they've slept with?

So? We also had the most famous inquisition and were once the biggest defenders of catholicism, yet nowadays the majority of the Spanish population is agnostic if not anti clerical. Times and people changes a lot, and in lot of times there's a "penduluum effect" of going from one extreme to another, which is what happened with the attitude towards women here.

Yes, I have saw many Spanish man cry, myself included, and my brother and I have always helped my mother to clean the house, dry the clothes and several other "girlie" household activities. I am really wondering if you have ever visited Spain or met a real Spanish.

I know that my country (Portugal) is a lesser place compared to our friendly neghbours
Ah, but you have some of the most beautiful women that I have ever seen ^^ and I am actually one of these strange Spanish that supports an Iberian union.

Well, this is going to stop very soon. Still, it is not as if we need the money nowadays. The European funds helped us to put the country on track (we didn't recieved any Marshall plan's help, unlike other Europe countries) and to become one of the most dynamic economies in Europe (9th economy of the planet too!), so now it is time to let another less developed European countries do the same, and even for us to start apporting money too. Yep, EU's funds do work :) Long live the EU!

ON TOPIC: While Spain is still a bit of Sonyland, I think that this will change... abruptly. We are a bit of "fuentevejuna, todos a una" people. Brand and technological changes here follows the following scheme:
1- The rest of the world starts to change (introduction of mobile phones, one brand starts losting vs another, whatever). Spain does not.
2- The rest of the world has almost changed completely. Spain has barely moved on that issue.
3- Spain massively changes and gets with the times in a blink.

Same thing happened with Nintendo 64 VS Playstation: the Playstation tooked of latter than in the rest of the world, but way, way faster (although the discovery of the chip that allowed piracy also multiplied that effect).

Ikael said:
I am really wondering if you have ever visited Spain or met a real Spanish.
Admittedly, visiting Spain is still on my "to do" list, but I do personally know several Spaniards in whose households the girls are expected to do all the housework. You can only watch the boys lazing around while their sisters sweep around them or hear the phrase "tio macho" so many times before deciding whether machismo is dead or alive.

It's a common thread in most Spanish-speaking households I've come across, some more than others. I see it as a bad thing.

By the way, do you live in a big city? Generally change, especially cultural change, happens faster in densely populated urban areas than rural. Look at the US and the distribution of safe Democrat seats and safe Republican seats. The advocates for change, the Democrats, do better among urbanites while the conservatives do better in rural areas.

Kaworu

Admittedly, visiting Spain is still on my "to do" list, but I do personally know several Spaniards in whose households the girls are expected to do all the housework. You can only watch the boys lazing around while their sisters sweep around them or hear the phrase "tio macho" so many times before deciding whether machismo is dead or alive.

"Tio macho"? No one says that on actual Spain. It's humorous. We say "macho iberico" but it's also more humorous than anything :lol.

It's a common thread in most Spanish-speaking households I've come across, some more than others. I see it as a bad thing.

Spanish-speaking=! from Spain. If you're talking about other spanish-speaking countries don't mix it with us. We're Europeans.

By the way, do you live in a big city? Generally change, especially cultural change, happens faster in densely populated urban areas than rural. Look at the US and the distribution of safe Democrat seats and safe Republican seats. The advocates for change, the Democrats, do better among urbanites while the conservatives do better in rural areas.

Spain rural population in the 80's was like 25%, don't know right now but >20%.

VonGak!

Banned
Comments from Americans about the Spanish made me feel compelled to post this comparison

eurovsamericagz6.jpg

NB: It's only a joke and not to be taken personal

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Em...seems Sony isn't very sure of the numbers...

http://www.elmundo.es/navegante/2007/07/16/tecnologia/1184571253.html
Numbers for Spain only (As in no Portugal).

525k PS2 FiscalYear 06/07 (4,3m total LTD)

160k PS3 with 2,3 tie ratio (expects to have sold 750k LTD as FY07/8 ends)

1,25m PSP LTD (650k expected for FY07/08)

Those look like shipped numbers to me.

1. March 31 cutoff date.
2. Mention of fiscal year determining period for sales.
3. Round numbers.

That article does add that Spain is Sony's fourth largest territory in Europe, though.

VonGak! said:
NB: It's only a joke and not to be taken personal

A nice rule of thumb is that if you have to add a disclaimer like that before or after something, then you probably shouldn't post it in the first place.

Top Bottom