• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Southern europe is still sonyland...

“En sólo tres meses desde su lanzamiento, PLAYSTATION 3 se ha consolidado como el sistema de entretenimiento de nueva generación por excelencia al superar las 216.000 unidades vendidas en Iberia, de las cuales 194.000 corresponden a España”, ha dicho James Armstrong, Vicepresidente Senior del Sur de Europa y Consejero Delegado de Sony Computer Entertainment Europe para España y Portugal. Según Armstrong, “En este período, PLAYSTATION 3 ha superado ya en ventas en nuestro país a Xbox 360 que salió en el 2005 y está igualada con Wii que se lanzó en diciembre de 2006, con un precio sustancialmente inferior”. Y añade: “estas cifras convierten a PLAYSTATION 3 en la plataforma con más rápida penetración del mercado en la historia”.

What translated using my "wonderful" english (Free translation below...) is something like:

“Only in three months since it was launched, PLAYSTATION 3 has became the preferred entertainment system by surpassing 216.000 units in Iberia (NdT: Spain+Portugal), being 194.000 of those systems sold in Spain", said James Armstrong, Senior Vicepresident of Southern Europe and managing director of SCEE. According Armstrong, "In this period, PLAYSTATION 3 has surpassed already X360 sales, which launched back in 2005, and it's tied with Wii, which launched in december of 2006, with a substantially lesser price". And he adds: "That sales figures make PLAYSTATION 3 the platform with faster market penetration ever".

Just for the record.

TheGreatDave said:
Are Southern Europeans rich?

Not specially rich, not poor, but with a pretty good taste :D

(At least I hope this question is not founded in what Capcom/RE4 think spain is :lol )

¡Qué estupideza más grande! Los Españoles y Portugueses solo estan dandole permiso a Sony para cobrar demasiado por su producto en Iberia. No lo creyera si no fuera por un solo hecho: la cultura del machismo requiere que uno solo anda con lo que es percivido como lo más poderoso, lo más masculino.

Aunque hubiesen mejores productos en el mercado, el machismo siempre controla lo que el hombre compre. Además, el machismo es nada más que una imagen falsa. Por tanto, la propaganda de Sony funciona perfectamente en aquella región.

Yo lo considero una enfermedad cultural de la cual sufre todo el mundo hablahispano y las demás culturas latinas.

Sony marketing + male culture in the Mediterranean = mega sales. *sigh*

YYZ

I had doubts about them retaining power in Europe. It will be interesting to see what a game like Singstar (with Singstore) can do there.

TheGreatDave said:
Are Southern Europeans rich?
Spain kinda is, Portugal is on a economical crisis but you can buy a PS3 with credit on some stores and pay it in 10 to 18 times. Which I guess helps the sales.

starfox

Banned
Prime crotch said:
Spain kinda is, Portugal is on a economical crisis but you can buy a PS3 with credit on some stores and pay it in 10 to 18 times. Which I guess helps the sales.
N' doom even more, a already ****ed'up economy that is the worst from all EU Country.

But no one can live without their PLAYSTATION3, do they?(even if that means havin a car, apartmant, TV Set, Hell... everthing on credit. Should be fun 2 be fired n' not able to pay anything. Next Stop... under the bridge)

womfalcs3

Banned
Spain is huge for the PS3. PS3 sales since in March have almost surpassed the X360 since its respective launch much further back behind the PS3's.

What is it now in Spain? ~120,000 PS3's sold?

radeonxt

Spain is one of the countries that grow economicaly even highger than the euro zone.

Spain is a Rich enough country, I live there and it is rich and cheap enough too, good climate, Great Food, not great, AWSOME FOOD!, awsone girls, SIESTA, FIESTA, good beaches, Great prices (except technological devices (not all) HDTV is cheap enoguh, pc's too, videogames are not as cheap as other places.

PS 3 600€
360 400€ + 1 game
wii 250€

games

3rd party 65-70€
1st-2nd 55-60 €

wii 1st party 50€

Some Data:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:Países_por_PIB_(PPA)

or this.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:Países_por_PIB_(nominal)

One thing I'll like to advise:

the place in RE 4, is not Spain, and that language is not European spanish, maybe mexican? :S I think capcom has never been at spain.

Aqui en españa no somos machistas, bueno, igual los viejos.

Sorry, I do not know how to traslate ''machismo''. :lol

fmcato

J. M. Romeo said:
Anyway, replaying RE4 on my Wii these days it seems to me like a lost village up in the Basque country or Asturias (the north of Spain, for those who don't know, still has some very rural communities up in the mountains) but taken to the extreme. Instead of welcoming you with a great home made dinner when you arrive to their town, they welcome with sickles, pitchforks and dynamite. It's not that different if you think about it.

You think it's "not that different" because it's an out-of-the-box village in the mountains. Apart from that the costumes, accent, looks and lifestyle of the villagers are far from being Spanish, be it modern or from previous eras. Even the basic architecture traces are totally off, with houses with wooden floors and the church looking totally un-spanish.

I'd be sincerely surprised if someone told me the Capcom developers actually did some research on Spain for RE 4.

MaX_PL

Banned
didnt someone say that his friends in spain play ps3 on some 12 inch tv?

i just dont see a reason to buy the console without an HDTV.

radeonxt

Leonsito said:
Spain rich and HDTVs cheap ??

Yeah sure :lol lend me some money guys then....

32" HDTV for 600€ is cheap.

42" plasma for 800€ is cheap.

Spain is kinda rich country, not the richest one, but we live good enough here, what do you thik, this is africa? :lol

Ok, Wellcome to North africa then: :lol

valencia.jpg

Valencia4.jpg

barcelona2.jpg

madrid7.jpg

castellana.jpg

76026955_1680e7066c.jpg

Barcelona%2000000236_brodyaga_ru.jpg

didnt someone say that his friends in spain play ps3 on some 12 inch tv?

hmm I've got a 26" LG in my room. I had a 32" before, But I was a little uncomfortable with its ghosting :S

radeonxt said:

Spain is kinda rich country, not the richest one, but we live good enough here, what do you thik, this is africa? :lol

Actually some places in Africa like Angola have had an almost exponantial economical increase. Who knows maybe they'll get at the same level of richness and quality of live they had before the 70s.

Leonsito

radeonxt, don't compare us with Africa, I didn't do it, is a stupid comparison, compare us with Sweden ie.

Spain is a fine country, we are not poor, but we aren't rich, maybe some rich communities like Valencia, Cataluña, Madrid can swin in money, but there are a lot of zones that are poor and live in a Resident Evil 4 style.

Electronics are cheap compared with years ago (logical) but compared to our salaries they are unreachable, Germany has the same prices and even cheaper and they have salaries that double ours.

We live in a country where the 90% of people can't buy a ****ing house, that's not a good sign of richness, when the majority of guys live with their parents till the 30 years of course they can buy a ****ing hdtv and a 600€ machine, but that has nothing to do with richness.

So...

Wii >194.000
PS3 = 194.000
360 <194.000

EOL lurkers :D did you see Xbox manager interview there? He said X360 was second (Wii was first). No numbers given but I think right now the market is really split here.

Or maybe we should follow you-know-who numbers that gives a totally different view on the market :lol

fmcato

J. M. Romeo said:
Of course if you go into actual architectural details, you can find a thousand of wrong things per square meter. Specially in the parts INTO churchs and cathedrals. And I've been into towns with houses pretty much like the ones of the GANADOS (that name is ridiculous too. For those non spanish speakers, the word GANADO is a plural by itself. The S is like saying TEETHS or SHEEPS. Anyway, back on point), wooden floors included.

The details and everything else were wrong all over the place. From the totally wooden floors *and* rest of the house you bail out of, with the wrong window designs, a cemetery right in front of the church (common in countries like Germany, but not normal in Spain were only tombs of nobles were kept IN the churches/cathedrals).

And the church looks like a small protestant building from the English countryside, not the simpler looking catholic churches made of stone common in Spain.

J.M. Romeo said:
You seem like you know Spain to me, so I will tell you that I'm talking about houses in Chinchilla de Montearagón, in Albacete. A very small village, indeed. It also has a pub carved into a very high cliff with a chasm like 50 meters from the main door. Not a good place to let children or drunken people loose.

I have been in yearly family travels around Spain from south to north from 8 to 16. And if that town in Albacete shares some similarity to "Ganados", it can't go beyond raw coincidence.

J.M. Romeo said:
And I'm like 90% sure that Capcom designers came to Spain. You can send them a couple of hate emails, they deserve them.

If they came to Spain I suppose they just spent the whole time plastered and handed some google search results for "supein" when they went back.

nli10

Goldrusher said:
Why don't we have these kind of numbers for every European country ?

Sony have only sold just over 1 million PS3 in all PAL countries - if 1/5th of those are in Spain and about the same in the UK then the really don't want us to know how well the rest of the Euro console race is going...

Leonsito

J. M. Romeo said:
Maybe a coincidence then. You have a point on those details about the graveyard in front of the church and all, but I like to think of that as "dramatic licenses". Oh, and one of the GANADOS models looks a lot like Paco Rabal. You can't argue against that and you know it. Where are you from, though? I used to visit also in family trips some towns in the north of Aragón (you know, mountain stuff and all) and the RE4 village also sort of reminds me of those. But the whole wooden house thing won't make too much sense given the usual temperatures and snow in those areas. I think that we can go on for way too long with this discussion so I will concede, the localization is shit, but I still think that the general look and feel is not THAT off for a old-ass abandoned mountain village.

Oh, the "supein" thing. I lol'd. I can picture Mikami getting heavily drunk at a bunch of restaurants and furiously googling on his laptop on the way home.

EDIT: I have now googled SUPEIN in google images. Now I am actually laughing.

:lol :lol :lol

Your edit: “This Vino is Cojo Nudo&#65281;” :lol :lol :lol

I think he just looks like a tipical boina, or whatever it's called in English, wearing farmer. Besides I doubt Capcom researched that much on Spain, and the game is also not set in Spain they simply say it's a Spanish speaking village in Europe. That still uses Pesetas as their currency for some reason.

Sharp

I never realized before this how painful RE4 was for people in Spain. I haven't played it yet, but I doubt anyone would seriously believe that most people still lived in all-wooden houses or burned people alive.

Roi

radeonxt said:

[IMAGES]

hmm I've got a 26" LG in my room. I had a 32" before, But I was a little uncomfortable with its ghosting :S

Sorry, the care-train is leaving!

Haunted

This is like a spanish NeoGAF posters love-in. :lol

Also, for the record: Spain and Portugal alone are not Southern Europe. Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia et.al. would be totally offended by that notion. :p

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Europe is use to pay alot at hardware launch. PS2 was +500$ at launch in some countries. Sales were good for awhile but they ended up stalling. Meanwhile Euro was adopted, and SCEE realigned the price to 300&#8364; (same as US) and then sales improved again.

Leonsito

Wollan said:

Good point :lol

BTW the OP talks about the first three months, weren't this numbers already discussed here? Wii has been outsold every competition since the new shipments arrived in May.

radeonxt

We live in a country where the 90% of people can't buy a ****ing house, that's not a good sign of richness, when the majority of guys live with their parents till the 30 years of course they can buy a ****ing hdtv and a 600€ machine, but that has nothing to do with richness.

Yes but that has nothing to be with our richness, we've got a lot of inflation, because we are very consumist here. We buy LOT of ''brand'' products, instead of ''white brands'' most of the people buy clothes in ''zara, calvin klein, tommy, ralhp laurent, pull & bear, instead of buying them at carrefour ie. Even the most of electronic devices consumers buy a ''sony, samsung, panasonic, etc.. rather than a ''bluesky (carrefour)'' ''hoher (fnac), Firstline... We are a very consumist country, and a little bit ''pijos'' in our desires mostly. Let's see if rising euribor Home prices low a bit. Changing from Pesetas to euros has converted into a big problem too :S things were a lot cheaper before :(

At least we have got Public hospitals :D I don't know how many countries in the world have got this.

I never realized before this how painful RE4 was for people in Spain.

For me it isn't painfull, its even funny they think about as as that :lol

first time I played it, I said: ''OMG What a lol'' :lol Awsome game and great spanish sci-fi :lol

Maybe they think that RE 5 has southern spain as a location :S :lol

I also remember when I went to the US (4 years ago), and said I was spanish, they said me: '' ah! from mexico?'' o_O

SpainFixed.jpg

wow, Madrid is now Sonyland! :lol

J. M. Romeo said:
Then if they use pesetas and speak Spanish in Europe, probably the game is set in a village in Tselinoyarsk..
It's like Simpsons it's set in USA just not in an actual real place. But in RE4's case it's not even set in Spain just a remote spanish speaking vilage. Even the Gannado village doesn't look like a Spanish landscape.

Natsume

titiklabingapat said:
Eh, compared to the rest of the world, Portugal is a paradise.

I was there about two weeks ago in the Algarve, I'd disagree with you. People were nice but apart from that...

tirant

Are you sure it's not distributed?

I would say it's impossible for a 600€ game console to sell more than 200,000 in just 3 months (Spain and Portugal).

Radius

So here's the reason why Sony did NOT announce a price drop for Europe at E3: Brainless Iberians who keep buying the PS3 at its inflated price.
Don't get me wrong, I'm also European :D

Jado

Banned
Sharp said:
I never realized before this how painful RE4 was for people in Spain. I haven't played it yet, but I doubt anyone would seriously believe that most people still lived in all-wooden houses or burned people alive.

I'm not from anywhere near Spain and imagined Spaniards cringing at the accents. The people have some kind of generic dialect that you might hear among Mexicans, particularly the ones on telenovelas.

tirant said:
Are you sure it's not distributed?

I would say it's impossible for a 600€ game console to sell more than 200,000 in just 3 months (Spain and Portugal).
Credit.
J. M. Romeo said:
Not really. The only country in Europe with Spanish speaking people is Spain. The only country ever to have PESETAS as a currency has been Spain. And the part about the landscape...like I said there are villages with that general look and feel (although there are a lot of inaccuracies as pointed before). There are many landscapes in Spain besides beach and bullfighting. You can check that in any videogame store here. You will find a landscape with PS2 games in like 80% of shelf space. And I'm not even kidding. Wollan wasn't far off at all.
But it's not actually set in Spain just in a remote place in Europe somewhere. Not an exact location or real place just an hypothetical place You can check the game, they never say where Leon's at. Besides the Pesetas doesn't really help since the game is set after 2004.
Also I know Spain, and RE4's did not looked like any Spanish village I've been to. Although I'll admit I never went to the far east side of Spain.

Leopold

radeonxt said:
At least we have got Public hospitals :D I don't know how many countries in the world have got this.

We've got them on Brasil since long time ago.

But they aren't always great.

rio_de_janeiro.jpg

And Rio De Janeiro isn't similar to a jungle, if someone asks. No snakes or wild boars breaking into houses, no indians attacking you and we don't speak spanish.

Our capital is Brasilia, not Buenos Aires.

DF-brasilia06-460.jpg

:D

radeonxt

Brainless Iberians who keep buying the PS3 at its inflated price.

sorry, I yet have no ps3 :lol

Although I'll admit I never went to the far east side of Spain.

i'm from the far East from Spain, Valencia. It looks like (this year):

February:

Formel-1-plant-Stadtrennen-in-Valencia_a7998ec856.jpg

March:

Fuegos_artificiales_preludio_crema.jpg

fallas-2.jpg

fallas.jpg

Primera_mascleta_fallas.jpg

1.JPG

2006032009223089_300.jpg

June:

pac9.jpg

Pedro-HOGUERAS-030623-05a.jpg

Everyday:

valencia.jpg

torres2.JPG

vistageneral.jpg

valencia3.jpg

valencia4.jpg

valencia19.jpg

etc... Re 4 village some milleniums after :lol

&#932;his thread turned out to be an advertisement of countries the rest of the world knows except of 70% of Americans who think that apart from UK, France and Germany, the rest of Europe is uncivilised.:lol Spain and Portugal are two adorable countries, you don't need any more pictures to prove it. ;-)

I'm from South Europe as well, from Greece to be precise. For all it's worth (since we are a pretty small country and negligible impact to the sales trends), Greece is 100% Sonyland... I'd dare to say even more than Portugal. Public perception hasn't changed at all in favor of Nintendo and especially Microsoft all these months PS3 sucks in sales worldwide. Everyone wants a PS3 and is keen on waiting till its price comes down (meanwhile, they play Pro Evo on their PS2 or PC). Unfortunately, we've got one of the most expensive PS3s in the world: 659€ = $909 !!!

And please allow me to state the obvious to God of War fanatics (I'm one as well!): there is NO DESERT outside of Athens!
You know, this is Mediterranean , not Africa either.:D

at2.jpg

Top Bottom