• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT Launch of SES-9 & First Stage Ocean Barge Landing Attempt. Feb 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

I think people forget stuff like this happens all the time even with NASA launches.

Rocket science is hard shit.

Jezbollah

It choked like Rubio. Are they going to give this another go today?

Nope. The last countdown was at the very edge of the launch window for today.

There is a window for the same time tomorrow - but this depends on the nature of the issue. It wouldn't surprise me if they scrubbed this launch completely and rescheduled for a few weeks time.

EDIT: Hmm. There is supposedly some time left in the launch window - the launch isn't officially scrubbed.

Oriel

Actually I don't think so. Watching replay it looks like computer already activated water systems right before 0.

No, it just seemed from when I was watching that at zero the rocket remained firmly grounded and wasn't going anywhere. For like a second that was the situation and it felt like that there was a problem.

No, it just seemed from when I was watching that at zero the rocket remained firmly grounded and wasn't going anywhere. For like a second that was the situation and it felt like that there was a problem.

For the newer rockets they actually don't go on ignition because the fuel can be "cut" versus the old boosters on the shuttle if I recall correctly. So what burned may have just been some residual fuel at output.

Edit: Yep scrubbed. They saw something they didn't like.

Jezbollah

This is actually a big problem. If they can't handle a 20 minute delay in countdown this is going to cause further scrubs in the future.

Yep. I was worried that something like this might happen after a prolonged hold. There's a reason they only finish fuelling the vehicle within 3 minutes of takeoff.

This is the risk that SpaceX have decided to take in order to get more performance out of F9. It wont be a good thing if this becomes the norm..

Yep. I was worried that something like this might happen after a prolonged hold. There's a reason they only finish fuelling the vehicle within 3 minutes of takeoff.

This is the risk that SpaceX have decided to take in order to get more performance out of F9. It wont be a good thing if this becomes the norm..

Scrubs aren't free either. I don't know what the actual cost of a scrub is, but it's likely in the 5-6 figure range.

s_mirage

Charge those idiots with the full cost of the scrubbed launch. They'll never do it again (if they're private individuals they'll probably be too bankrupt to).

Jezbollah

Don't they monitor the temperature of the LOX throughout countdown? I wouldn't think it's something that would cause a T-0 second abort

They do - and obviously it was considered within the parameters of launch otherwise they wouldn't have recycled the countdown. I guess those parameters need reviewing now :)

cameron

Delayed to Friday due to Super Tuesday weather.

CWuJpVq.jpg

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Well, fly subsonic at those windy altitudes, duh.

Hopefully weather is good for the launch today.

I don't really mind the delays though since I kept forgetting to watch it... <_<

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Elon needs to consider jetstream-utilizing rockets.

Oriel

"Upper level winds still a watch item"

I wouldn't be surprised if the launch was held off for another 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom