• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spanish retailer lists Zelda: Majora's Mask 3DS

from what i'm aware most of the same code is still there and you can do all of the glitches from the original OoT (which would not be the case if it was a complete remake). i think they just tore everything apart and put new textures and 3D models in.
Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a full blown OoT remake on Wii U. I think everyone would. It's a little unfair to expect too much of Nintendo, though. I mean, we just got an enhanced port, and now we have two more - possibly three if we do end up getting Majora - Zelda games on the way.

Maybe some years down the line, but I really think asking for OoT on Wii U now is asking for too much.

I agree, it would be far too soon for something like that, but I would like a console OoT at some point.

Having a handheld OoT never really made too much sense, tbh.

Tunavi

Banned
from what i'm aware most of the same code is still there and you can do all of the glitches from the original OoT (which would not be the case if it was a complete remake). i think they just tore everything apart and put new textures and 3D models in.
since when is this true?

I count enhanced ports, as the poster above said, as remakes.

The Super Mario Advance games are ports.

OoT Remake added in stereoscopic 3D and updated graphics.

If you held the graphics under closer scrutiny I think you'd find, besides Link, every other character game is the exact same model with a smoothness filter added to their face and extra polygons on everything but their hands. I think these would look more akin to Smash Bros. Brawl trophies if they were new models made from scratch.

rKY1BLd.jpg

rFoD4wf.jpg

Ropes are still 2D.

RecIpIW.png

Tree stump is still fugly.

I'm not saying they Grezzo didn't do what they could, I'm saying Nintendo themselves could have done even better and shouldn't have outsourced this project to begin with. 3DS is capable of much nicer graphics as we've seen with Kid Icarus: Uprising.

And again, none of that makes this a remake. Just a port with prettier graphics and stereoscopic 3D. The definitive version of OoT? Sure. But a game as legendary as OoT still deserved much better, in my opinion, and above all else there was not and still is not a good excuse for the game looking better but sounding like 15 year old MIDI crap.

since when is this true?

I count enhanced ports, as the poster above said, as remakes.

by "complete remake" I'm almost positive that poster meant starting from scratch. It appears that the code was ported from N64 to 3DS, so, having not started from scratch, it's not a "complete remake."

The game has changed enough that it can be considered a remake, though. At least in my opinion. I can see why others would disagree, though.

Magnus

Sigh..

OoT is a port. It added a boss challenge mode and nothing to significantly enhance the gameplay or add more replay value. No matter how much you think they improved the graphics (FYI, they added polygons to the old models and didn't create new ones from scratch) or the sound (they literally did nothing but sequence the music so it sounded exactly like the original, crappy N64 music), it ultimately was the exact same game with a couple of minor tweaks to how items are equipped. Oh, and breathtaking, gameplay-enhancing 3D. Joy.

If you honestly think their aim with OoT 3D was to remake the game from the ground up and improve upon in it substantial ways, I can give you Ask Iwata quotes that show otherwise.

This is a remake:

7HZe0gy.jpg

Thought at first glance it looks the same game as the NES version of Super Mario Bros., play the game even for a few minutes and you can see that the programmers dug into the original code of the game, fixed many of its flaws, and added new gameplay features. It wasn't rebuilt from scratch, but it was improved so much that it stands on its own as a new version, not port, of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LrtclTHU4M

THAT is what Nintendo is capable of when they set out to properly remake something. OoT was kind of lazy.

Woah, I had no idea how much went into SMB-Deluxe. Truly thought it was just a port.

The dude's delivery in that video review is fucking amazing. "You might even call it....deluxe."

Darryl

Banned
since when is this true?

there's no right or wrong way to code things. there's limitless possibilities. usually when two separate groups of people code things, you write the code differently (certain sequences take priority over other ones), which causes a different set of problems. glitches don't happen on purpose.

Peru

OoT 3DS is great. Whatever technical work lies behind the updated graphics it looks great - within the boundaries of what thy were doing - polishing up the game - the level of visuals fit very well with what could be conceived as a relatively sparse looking game if contrasted with visuals that are too altered. Looks very good and crisp now - not up to 3DS best by any stretch, but fitting. It runs smoother, controls better, gives you a better UI - simply makes a classic playable in a modern way. It's not a radical remake but it's one that facilitated one of my most enjoyable playthroughs of a Zelda ever and put away feelings of OoT being outdated.

Having said that I don't have much interested in a Majora remake / port. If they do continue outsourcing older game ports for easy software library additions I'd hope we'd get Metroid Prime instead.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait up. I agree they could have went farther with OoT 3DS, but since when do you need a re-kajiggering of the code to qualify as a remake?

KNT-Zero

(...)

I'm not saying they Grezzo didn't do what they could, I'm saying Nintendo themselves could have done even better and shouldn't have outsourced this project to begin with. 3DS is capable of much nicer graphics as we've seen with Kid Icarus: Uprising.

And again, none of that makes this a remake. Just a port with prettier graphics and stereoscopic 3D. The definitive version of OoT? Sure. But a game as legendary as OoT still deserved much better, in my opinion, and above all else there was not and still is not a good excuse for the game looking better but sounding like 15 year old MIDI crap.

This. This. A million times this.

You just can't call this a "remake", when we have things like REmake as perfect definitions.

goldenpp72

How is OOT on the 3ds any more of a remake than the Ps3 HD collections and such? I beat the whole game and the minor updates barely compare to something like REmake. If it's a remake it was a piss poor one, but it's a good port.

Revven

You can't do all the glitches the same way as you can in the original OoT. Infinite sword glitch has to be triggered via a completely different method, for example. So yes, it's the same engine but they did attempt to fix some of the famous glitches found by speedrunners; while at the same time new ones were introduced because of their fixes and/or additions to the game (such as being able to use Farore's Wind anywhere).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Apparently they fixed a few bad glitches but kept fun ones in because they are fun.

Shaanyboi

Banned
How is OOT on the 3ds any more of a remake than the Ps3 HD collections and such? I beat the whole game and the minor updates barely compare to something like REmake. If it's a remake it was a piss poor one, but it's a good port.

Do the HD collections redo character models or design new geometry etc?

OOT wasn't exactly a complete overhaul, but there were afew visual upgrades throughout the game. Added details that definitely weren't there before. And tweaked some design elements like in the Water Temple.

ocarina_of_time_n64_3ds_comparison2_thumb.jpg

Also, they made the boots into an item and not equipment.

Shion

If you held the graphics under closer scrutiny I think you'd find, besides Link, every other character game is the exact same model with a smoothness filter added to their face and extra polygons on everything but their hands. I think these would look more akin to Smash Bros. Brawl trophies if they were new models made from scratch.

rKY1BLd.jpg

rFoD4wf.jpg

Ropes are still 2D.

RecIpIW.png

Tree stump is still fugly.

Yep.

That's exactly how I feel too.

OoT 3D looked like a N64 game running in enhanced mode, I expect a remake to look a lot better than this.

I also expect a remake to improve upon the original.

They could have added new locations, a more sophisticated battle-system, make the overworld less barren etc.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Ocarina of Time was absolutely phenomenal back in 1998 and it's still a really great game.

But a remake of an old game (let alone a game as legendary as OoT) could, and should, have been so much more than just an enhanced port.

OmegaZero

I personally liked the way they handled the OoT 3D portmake. There could have been a bit more content but I feel that if they would go through the trouble of adding more gameplay systems and completely over-hauling the visuals, then they might as well just make a new Zelda game.

There's only so much you can change before OoT stops being OoT. #teamnostalgiagoggles

Izick

So they said no MM before a new Zelda? It would be funny if they announced a new Zelda, then immediately announced a MM remake as well.

I want to play this game already, but the prospect of playing it with nicer graphics and such is keeping me away for now.

Volotaire

Sigh..

OoT is a port. It added a boss challenge mode and nothing to significantly enhance the gameplay or add more replay value. No matter how much you think they improved the graphics (FYI, they added polygons to the old models and didn't create new ones from scratch) or the sound (they literally did nothing but sequence the music so it sounded exactly like the original, crappy N64 music), it ultimately was the exact same game with a couple of minor tweaks to how items are equipped. Oh, and breathtaking, gameplay-enhancing 3D. Joy.

If you honestly think their aim with OoT 3D was to remake the game from the ground up and improve upon in it substantial ways, I can give you Ask Iwata quotes that show otherwise.

This is a remake:

7HZe0gy.jpg

Thought at first glance it looks the same game as the NES version of Super Mario Bros., play the game even for a few minutes and you can see that the programmers dug into the original code of the game, fixed many of its flaws, and added new gameplay features. It wasn't rebuilt from scratch, but it was improved so much that it stands on its own as a new version, not port, of the game.

THAT is what Nintendo is capable of when they set out to properly remake something. OoT was kind of lazy.

My first Nintendo game, along with Pokemon. And it truly is perfect. Every now and then I will boot my Colour to play 5 mins. Although The Lost Levels is gimped slightly (wind mechanics , no A, B, C, D worlds), when I first found about it I literally was like WTF.

This is a remake:

7HZe0gy.jpg

This was my first exposure to SMB1, and I enjoyed it at the time, but my God that screen size is just as I feared, lol.

Those Boo racing levels were awesome, though

It would be nice if this was real and if it isn't now it will be someday. The result would only ever be a big disappointment to me after WW was chosen for a remake though. Still wouldn't mind a portable MM but I would be happy with a straight VC version so I can keep dreaming of a real remake in 6-12 years.

OOT 3D was solid. I don't like Links new model, they could have done a better job touching up environments with poor texture variety, and the colors look much too saturated but its OOT still. I prefer to play the original cart.

rKY1BLd.jpg

rFoD4wf.jpg

Ropes are still 2D.

RecIpIW.png

Are you insane?

Darkangel

Ocarina of Time 3D feels more like a remastering than a full remake. It still looks great, especially in 3D at 30fps, but it clearly wasn't given the Conker Live and Reloaded treatment.

Ocarina of Time 3D always seemed like an alternate dimension where OoT was made for the Dreamcast instead of the N64.

I was actually just thinking that.

Well. This is a reasonable response.

So is my ignoring you.

Saria's hair has more polygons and much higher resolution textures. Her clothes also are more detailed and have higher resolution textures. The same goes for Link's model.

It should also be noted brand new models had to be created for all the buildings in Hyrule town since it was previously pre-rendered.

It is probably a fair question. Considering they are mindbogglingly obviously not the same models.

That explains the hideously low-poly hands the two models have in common!

My original, "insane" statement:

If you held the graphics under closer scrutiny I think you'd find, besides Link, every other character game is the exact same model with a smoothness filter added to their face and extra polygons on everything but their hands.

See the Saria screenshot and the Zelda screenshot posted earlier. If you can't tell just from the piss-poor attention to details such as fingers that they just took the original N64 models and added more geometry to what was already there, I don't know what to tell you. In Darunia's case its more the textures making the model look better than extra polys, though obviously they did touch his "hair" and "beard" up a bit. It looks better, but its obvious to me that these are not entirely new models as they don't approach the quality of these characters' models in Brawl or in some cases Melee for that matter. The transformation isn't so dramatic as say, Mario's from Super Mario 64 to SM64DS because that game did quite obviously utilize a brand new Mario model.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
See the Saria screenshot and the Zelda screenshot posted earlier. If you can't tell just from the piss-poor attention to details such as fingers that they just took the original N64 models and added more geometry to what was already there, I don't know what to tell you. In Darunia's case its more the textures making the model look better than extra polys, though obviously they did touch his "hair" and "beard" up a bit. It looks better, but its obvious to me that these are not entirely new models as they don't approach the quality of these characters' models in Brawl or in some cases Melee for that matter. The transformation isn't so dramatic as say, Mario's from Super Mario 64 to SM64DS because that game did quite obviously utilize a brand new Mario model.

Darunia's hands are not the same. "Sorry." And they did not just touch up his "hair" and "beard," look at his fucking legs and stomach. Come on man. You can make a lot of arguments for OOT using very similar assets in parts of its environments, but the character models are obviously where the bulk of the effort went into the game. I think the new models look amazing, and a lot of that is because clear effort has been made to be faithful to the original game. You're right, these are not Melee or Brawl style models, they are not "artistically new" models, these are models that attempt to be completely faithful to the original game's art. They look similar on purpose, just like how the music was literally completely remade, and yet all of the effort went into reproducing it as it originally was. This is not a remake of OOT, this IS OOT. It is the same game, as if they made it for a more capable system from the start. That's why I think it succeeds so much. It sacrifices virtually none of the original's charm. It replaces it utterly, rather than standing aside as an alternate interpretation. I'd expect the same from a 3DS Majora's Mask, and I expect the exact same philosophy for the Wind Waker on the Wu.

my mind boggles at the OOT3D hate. One of the best remakes I've ever played.

In interviews the team clearly were after recreating it to match your memories of what the experience was like. They even wrote an algorithm to simulate the N64 sound processor.
(from the OOT3D Iwata Asks I think)

Sounds like they did a great job going by the responses of people... I invite some of you to go back and actually play the original OOT.

It was ugly when it came out in 98. Now? It's absolutely horrid.

Also, Majora's Mask may be a fanboy favorite, but I much prefer the regular Zelda games.
Hope this isn't what they've been spending their time on.

Top Bottom