• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spec Ops: The Line |OT| Apocalypse Whenever - Starring Nolan North

No one volunteered to make an OT. Here's a down and dirty one for you guys (the... four of you that are interested). I wish I had time to do a more elaborate one... but whatever, who cares, hahahaha. But, out next Tuesday!

Thanks to santi_yo for the updated banner!

LINE3.png

The Basics

Title | Spec Ops: The Line
Platforms | PS3, X-Box 360, PC
Genre | Third Person Action/Military Shooter
Developer | Yager
Publisher | 2K Games

Release Dates

| North America June 26 | Europe June 29|

Official Site

Uh... there's probably a DLC special edition Day 1 crap, but I haven't read about it, so I have no idea what it is. Let me know and I'll add it here. But if no one cares about Day 1 DLC, then I won't.

Update: Yup.

Here it is fellow GAFfer, in case you want to add in the OP.

GR9j2l.jpg

ss_04zx8s0.jpg

Story

It's been 6 months since Dubai was wiped off the map by a cataclysmic sandstorm. Thousands of lives were lost, including those of American soldiers sent to evacuate the city. Today, the city lies buried under sand, the world's most opulent ruin. Now, a mysterious radio signal is picked-up from Dubai, and a Delta Recon Team is sent to infiltrate the city. Their mission is simple: locate survivors and radio for evacuation. What they find is a city in the grip of war. To save Dubai, they'll have to find the man at the heart of its madness - Col. John Konrad. Experience the madness and horrors of war with Martin Walker (Nolan North) as he descends into the unimaginable.

This is an adaptation of Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad and Apocalypse Now, set in the modern day in a storm ravaged Dubai. It stars Nolan North.

ss_012tk92.jpg

Features

• A new portrayal of the military shooter experience with twisting narrative uncertainties.
  • Action packed 3rd Person Shooter gameplay provides an up-close and personal view into the brutality and emotion within the combat.
  • Command an intelligent and powerful squad of Delta-Force soldiers in a dangerous and unpredictable combat zone.
  • Cross "The Line" in a mature story that explores the dark side of war, where there are no bright outcomes, only bad or worse choices.
  • Unique Dubai setting strikes the imagination and transports players to a larger-than-life playground for vertical gameplay and stunning visuals.
  • Sand-filled Dubai provides new gameplay experiences including sand avalanches, and powerful, disorienting sandstorm combat.
  • Customizable, Class-Based, Blazing Multiplayer

ss_05d8mit.jpg

Multiplayer

Multiplayer... exists. There was a beta like two years ago. It was not well received. But hey, maybe they made it decent now. There's a trailer for it:

The Damned vs. The Exiles Multiplayer Trailer

ss_15dff03.jpg

Screens

ss_10vaj38.jpg

ss_12ey8d4.jpg

ss_08iqjlb.jpg

ss_07r3cvx.jpg

ss_17hsf44.jpg

Videos

Debut Trailer
E3 2010 Trailer
The Journey
Gameplay Trailer
Narrative Trailer
TV Trailer

walker_04j0d9x.jpg

Reviews

Eurogamer - 8/10 (link)
CVG - 8/10 (link)
IGN - 8/10 (link)
Destructoid - 8/10 (link)
OXM - 8/10 (link)
Polygon - 8/10 (link)
Strategy Informer - 7/10 (link)
Videogamer - 7/10 (link)
Edge - 7/10 (link)
7/10 from Strategy Informer
PSNation: B+
9/10 from the thesixthaxis

And finally...

dsc01761_2035515b4bggg.jpg

Honestly, I'm pretty excited for this game. Nolan North. Competent third person shooter gameplay. I really, really hope they nail the story. They've been talking about it for years. A really dark, mature, crazy war story, I'm in for that. There's rumoured to be some seriously dark moments and mind-screwy moments.

M.W.

Thanks for an OT, OP.

If you skip to the 20 minute mark here you can listen to Destructoid chat with lead writer Walt Williams.

The interviewer seems to like the game quite a bit.

OP, there is a day one DLC COOP patch. I'm almost positive on that...

Walt Williams seems like a really cool dude. I enjoy reading interviews with him because he is so into the idea of the game and the themes and what his goal is. I really, really hope he succeeds.

He's one of 2K's lead writers, so I have more faith in spiel on a mature narrative than fucking Richard Morgan. That man's writing in Crysis 2 was the worst. THE WORST.

I know the two games aren't analogous, but when it comes to game writing, I always remember Morgan.

I've been waiting for player feedback ever since the trailer with Alice In Chains 2 years ago and they said they were aiming for the Heart of Darkness / Apocalypse Now atmosphere. Interested to see if they delivered or if it's just another shooter.

dokish

Banned
Good OT. I really liked the demo and the story seems really nice, a refreshing start for shooters after games like Call of Duty, Killzone and Gears of War.

Looking forward the reviews.

Derrick01

Banned
Seems like the type of game I'll rent someday when I'm extremely bored. The demo and description of this game makes it look like the type of game I despise most in this industry.

Seems like the type of game I'll rent someday when I'm extremely bored. The demo and description of this game makes it look like the type of game I despise most in this industry.

I was under the impression you despised almost everything in the present-day industry.

I kid, I kid. But I look forward to this. Simple craziness, no jingoism.

Will do, thanks.

GQman2121

Banned
I thought the PS3 demo was bland and lacking any creativity whatsoever for a shooter. I wasn't impressed with the shooting mechanics or visuals.

The overuse of bloom lighting on every visible piece of the environment was distracting and not pleasing to my eyes. I also thought it was rather lazy the way they introduced the inclusion of environmental traps into the gameplay. And although there were a number of shootouts in the demo, that one single shoot the glowy target to unleash sand, was used one time and one time only. I thought maybe I missed opportunities to use the feature more often, but apparently not. I have a feeling if the game doesn't indicate that you can damage or alter the environment you probably shouldn't waste your time trying.

I didn't have very high expectations going in, but the demo did a good job of showing what they're trying to do with this IP. Its definitely not for me.

Surprised at the lack of interest in this game. They had very good ideas for this game. Ideas that would make this the opposite of just another generic shooter if they make good on them.

So I'm interested to see how this turns out, at least.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Surprised at the lack of interest in this game. They had very good ideas for this game. Ideas that would make this the opposite of just another generic shooter if they make good on them.

So I'm interested to see how this turns out, at least.
Which good ideas? I'm genuinely asking. I've heard about the sand stuff and the supposedly good story/moral choices. That seems par for the course for a military shooter.

Salsa

quoting myself from the steam thread:

Looks like the store price for Spec Ops: The Line here is significantly lower than the US

hit me with a pm if someone wants me to buy it for them

VPvgh.png

pretty sure it's even cheaper than that for a friend of mine, so either way hit me with a PM if you want the game on the cheap

I'm interested in the story and setting, but still waiting for impressions before committing. However since it's on Amazon UK for ~30€ and seems to be Steamworks it's mighty tempting.

Been watching out for this since it's initial reveal. I'm plenty intrigued by its premise, but execution is everything. As long as it plays decently, then I'll give it a go. Most likely as a rental. Not even surprised Nolan North is a VA in this game. He probably voices the enemy soldiers as well.

I'll definitely buy this eventually, but not for $60 straight up.

Will get it used down the line, the demo was a lot of fun.

It's really fucking weird, but I read the topic title and the OP as Oliver North and not that dude in every game with voice acting. Liked the demo's camera and feel, but I'll probably hold off on this game until I get a clearer consensus.

As a big fan of Heart of Darknesss and Apocalypse Now the premise has me interested. But it being a video game I'm pretty sure they will fuck it up.

smik

Day 1!

cant wait for this, campaign looks great but the multiplayer looks even better.

with GoW3, newly GR:FS and now Spec ops: The Line, im all set for all my multiplayer goodness for the whole year :)

U2NUMB

Thanks to Best Buys trade in bonus the last few weeks this one will be paid off with no money out of my pocket.. I enjoyed the demo enough to support the dev and I think it will be a fun ride. Not expecting amazing but I do expect solid and fun.

smr00

Banned
Played the demo and really enjoyed it but i can't really justify spending $60, it's going to be what? 4-9 hour single player? 0 interest in MP.. I guess if Spider-Man gets terrible reviews and this gets rave reviews i will pick it up day 1.

Don't get me wrong i really really enjoyed the demo but since i am not a multiplayer gamer (has multiplayer doesnt it?) i just can't justify dropping $60 on 4-9 hour games.

I used to love gamefly but something happened and it's not worth having anymore (at least not here)

for about 6 months it was taking a week for a game to get here and week to get back, the turn around wasn't worth what i was paying and granted that was 2-3 years ago so maybe it's a lot better.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still on the fence about this one. Gonna have to decide fast on it. I might be able to get it soon. Come on Gaffers, get this one soon, I need to know how good is it!

codhand

I used to love gamefly but something happened and it's not worth having anymore (at least not here)

for about 6 months it was taking a week for a game to get here and week to get back, the turn around wasn't worth what i was paying and granted that was 2-3 years ago so maybe it's a lot better.

A week is a lot, but, it depends how close you are to one of their "centers." I'm not trying to play, send back, play, send back, repeat, so the turn around time for me--8 days total--isn't as bothersome.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nolan North? Who's that?

I know who's in a movie that people have actually seen it who's in this game though.
housepartyxz0v1.gif

Samus4145

A week is a lot, but, it depends how close you are to one of their "centers." I'm not trying to play, send back, play, send back, repeat, so the turn around time for me--8 days total--isn't as bothersome.

Only have one open spot in my queue with both sitting in there. I need to flip a coin.

I can't believe this game took so long. I remember listening to a preview event impressions on rebel FM like a year and a half ago. Thinking it was coming out later that fall. The demo was fun so i know I will at least try it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The demo was terrible. Not even a great story could save this trash. Hope it flops.
Was it that bad? It certainly wasn't amazing but I still thought it was a competent romp with a very interesting setting. I appreciate that they seem to be taking visual elements that have become common in the genre and turning them on their head. I'm still up in the air, I suppose.

If they fail to do anything interesting with the game then I might agree, but the demo played well enough and hints at more interesting stuff to come.

I know who's in a movie that people have actually seen it who's in this game though.
Does this sentence actually make sense to anyone? I've read it three times and still don't fully understand.

Top Bottom