• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculation: Visceral developing Battlefield game for Fall 2014 (with evidence)

lefantome

so

1) Criterion is now a small studio
2) Battlefield has become an annual franchise
3) Visceral wasting its talents on another fps

Ea being Ea, they really are the worst

I know there are a lot of people excited for Bad Company 3, but in general I would much prefer a sci-fi Battlefield game, especially one that wasn't just slightly in the future a la Ghost Recon.

2143 would do wonders for the series.

Scratches a bunch of itches.

1. Mechs.
2. Sci-fi weapons, gear and vehicles.
3. Can bring more creatives things to a somewhat stale genre.
4. General sci-fi setting, and one that's an FPS, which is something we don't get too often.

jsip

Banned
Just sell me an HD remake of BC2 multiplayer for 20 bucks so I can drop BF4 like a bad habit. Was my fav BF MP so far.

2143 would do wonders for the series.

Scratches a bunch of itches.

1. Mechs.
2. Sci-fi weapons, gear and vehicles.
3. Can bring more creatives things to a somewhat stale genre.
4. General sci-fi setting, and one that's an FPS, which is something we don't get too often.

Doesn't this screw with Titanfall, though? Potentially there's even more overlap than between, say, Medal of Honor and Battlefield.

I'd be down for a sequel to 2143, give me big maps with future military stuff with real future weapons. I'm talking about laser guns.

Not just laser, but how about plasma, rail guns, and hell, maybe throw in electric guns into the game (think of Force Lightning in a gun, or maybe the lightning gun from UT2K4).

Doesn't this screw with Titanfall, though? Potentially there's even more overlap than between, say, Medal of Honor and Battlefield.

It still fits and would help the BF series, even with Titanfall. Also, Titanfall, while having mechs and futuristic stuff that isn't TOO futuristic, it's still not the size of BF (I think) in terms of map size.

Naked Lunch

Good. Keep the weaker half of Battlefield (Bad Company spinoffs) with the low tier team. Let DICE Stockholm themselves focus on the real deal.

kenjisalk

Christ, at least a Visceral Star Wars game could've had a bit of promise. I have zero interest in the Battlefield franchise, and it's a shame to see such a talented studio wasted on such a tedious hoorah fest.

I'm fine with DICE doing what they do best and all, more power to them and the fans of that franchise (they're well made games mechanically I know), but as a fan of this studio, I hate seeing them anchored to such a boring property.

Dueck

Banned
I could live with an annual BF release if they made it something fairly different than what DICE puts out (as in more like CoD's no vehicle, run & gun approach.

grkazan12

Not just laser, but how about plasma, rail guns, and hell, maybe throw in electric guns into the game (think of Force Lightning in a gun, or maybe the lightning gun from UT2K4).

Yeah, forgot to add the vast majority of other stuff they could add, but I see your point man. The effects and scenery would look gorgeous for this game on Frostbite.

I think Titanfall looks alright for it being source, but mechs in a futuristic battlefield built on Frostbite would be glorious.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I know there are a lot of people excited for Bad Company 3, but in general I would much prefer a sci-fi Battlefield game, especially one that wasn't just slightly in the future a la Ghost Recon.

They might be stepping on their own feet with Star Wars though.

Well, since MoH couldn't the fill the gap between the Battlefield games, the only option is more Battlefield. Lol

This won't end well.

Odrion

Banned
Also just going to point this out, this has happened before.

Dice released Battlefield 2142 a year after Battlefield 2. Hell, they announced it when Battlefield 2 was in a bug ridden state as well.

Kinda sucks. Bf4's Battlelog and BF4's structure in general feels like it should stick around longer than a year. But I felt the same way about 2, and that game stayed alive when 2142 came out.

Also fuck Sci-Fi settings, I'm tired of Sci-Fi settings. Go make a World War 2 game on the same scale as Battlefield 4, that's what I want.

Pain

Banned
A yearly release is truly the only way they can compete with COD. With that being said, I smell another rushed release. EA has a horrible track record with games working at launch.

AHA-Lambda

There currently is being planned a battlefield for fall 2014.

nMabO.gif

BPK

If Battlefield becomes an annual franchise EA can forget about my being that premium membership. I could justify it when the game released once every two years...but every year? C'mon man.

Sojgat

If Battlefield becomes an annual franchise EA can forget about my being that premium membership. I could justify it when the game released once every two years...but every year? C'mon man.

Oh that's right, this would give them twice as many opportunities to sell people Battlefield Premium.

Odrion

Banned
Yeah. Fuck this.

And the map packs in Battlefield 3 were good, and felt like a lot of time was spent on them. China Rising really doesn't, and if the rest of the map packs are going to be rushed and suffer from it then fuuuuuuuuck that.

If they make it annual, they better have the Premium only cost about $30 instead of $50, or something like that. But you know they won't...

I knew an Ea FPS had to release next year. Something had to take the place of medal of honor. Something had to battle for that COD money. Ea is very predictable. I was expecting the game to be, until I read this, Battlefront. I was predicting a 2 year rush job and brand new biyearly companion to Battlefield. This makes more sense thankfully as my heart cannot take Battlefront launching as horrifyingly as B4.

Dueck

Banned
So... Just play COD? I'm confused.

I get what you're saying, I just can't stand the non-Treyarch ones, and even then just prefer BF's architecture. I find I don't get mad at it for "being broken" like I do with CoD.

Muffdraul

A lot of the time I was playing Killzone SF, I would think "Holy mother of god... imagine how great PS4 Dead Space would look." DS3 pretty much killed my enthusiasm for the franchise, but I totally got into the idea of DS4 putting it back on track. Still hoping for that. If they are doing a BF, I pray it doesn't interfere with DS4 dev cycle.

Dead Space 2 and 3 are awesome games, I don't care what anyone else says.

Dead Space 2 is awesome. Dead Space 3 is... not as bad as a lot of people say it is.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
We've always had multiple irons in the fire, always will. We typically have one game that's currently the "big production", one game with a small-ish pre-production team (about 20 people), and one or more that's in very early stages.

None of the things we're doing now have been announced officially, so I can't comment other than to say we're always doing more than one thing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We've always had multiple irons in the fire, always will. We typically have one game that's currently the "big production", one game with a small-ish pre-production team (about 20 people), and one or more that's in very early stages.

None of the things we're doing now have been announced officially, so I can't comment other than to say we're always doing more than one thing.
Thanks for the heads up.

If I had to guess (and I know you can't comment), based on job postings/various things:
-Battlefield Spin-Off (big team or pre-production)
-New IP (pre-production or big team)
-Star Wars (very early stages)

I had thought the new IP was the main project, but if Battlefield is Fall 2014 that doesn't really fit sans some very impressive production management. Though, if Battlefield is modern day I guess you do have a ton of art assets and gameplay design already done and probably assistance from DICE to help.

RoKKeR

Bummer what has happened to one of my favorite franchises recently, but I suppose it was inevitable. Saw it coming since EA started putting BC2 against MW2 back in 2009.

I wouldn't be surprised if it went yearly, even after recent comments from DICE saying it wouldn't be. It also doesn't surprise me that they are putting other developers (to a larger extent than they have in the past) on the game.

At this point I'm more interested in what DICE is working on outside of Battlefield, and I honestly think they need a break from the franchise to establish themselves as more than just a one trick pony.

Nokterian

Ah hell no after BF4 i am done..such talented people being wasted to make only FPS and not make something else unique. Just like Raven Software.

Pretty sad news for Visceral. I'm never buying another BF game on release again. If I buy them at all it will be used or during a massive sale. EA already screwed the franchise over by rushing 4 out the door in its broken state and I hate the idea if yearly releases.

Muffdraul

Dead Space 4 confirmed. Must go update my blog! =D

Top Bottom