• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer: Black Tusk E3 '13 teaser was "a concept piece", not a in-dev game

Miles X

From my own personal viewpoint, they made a bad decision. Looking past the fact that I have zero interest in GoW, the series doesn't seem to be on an upward trajectory after the subpar commercial performance of Judgment. Besides, could they not have put a team on it that wasn't pre-occupied with a project that had already been shown at E3?

At the very least, don't outright lie and say that the footage was "a concept piece." We all know that wasn't the case. I'd have some respect for the guy if he was honest about things and said "you know what, this is the safer option, the other game is cancelled, sorry folks."

Ugh stop using Judgement as a bench mark. Was Halo on a downwards trajectory after ODST? What about GT after Prologue? Forza after Horizons?

Consumers know the difference between mainline and not mainline.

Nafai1123

Banned
I feel bad for the people at BT. I can only imagine how it would feel working on a new IP and being excited about what you're doing, only for it to be put on hold so you can work on Gears.

From my own personal viewpoint, they made a bad decision. Looking past the fact that I have zero interest in GoW, the series doesn't seem to be on an upward trajectory after the subpar commercial performance of Judgment. Besides, could they not have put a team on it that wasn't pre-occupied with a project that had already been shown at E3?

At the very least, don't outright lie and say that the footage was "a concept piece." We all know that wasn't the case. I'd have some respect for the guy if he was honest about things and said "you know what, this is the safer option, the other game is cancelled, sorry folks."
Too bad we don't have Spencer's full quote. I wonder what he really said.

PBY

Banned
Ugh stop using Judgement as a bench mark. Was Halo on a downwards trajectory after ODST? What about GT after Prologue? Forza after Horizons?

Pretty much.

Also- you can differentiate between the savviness of the decision and one's personal thoughts on the move. You can hate the decision and still think its smart business.

Also- you can differentiate between the savviness of the decision and one's personal thoughts on the move. You can hate the decision and still think its smart business.

Very true. I think buying the rights to gears was a great business move for MS. I do wonder however if repurposing Black Tusk was the correct move. Was there really no other MS studio suitable to produce the next gears game? Could they not whip another one up much like they did with Black tusk originally?

Hey guys we're cancelling your new ip. You will make Gears games for life. Enjoy.

Rare'd.

Lol if there's even any of the original rare team there I'm sure they'd prefer working on gears to the next kinect sports game

MercuryLS

Banned
I honestly don't even know about that anymore

Doesn't sound like MS is simply shelving it until gears 4 is ready :(

All right I don't know how to feel anymore gaf!

emotions-troy.gif

You could say that BT's new IP had a.....

SwiftDeath.

andycapps

So according to CBOAT, they shelved an in development game that was a new IP and are making the studio be the new Gears studio. I would imagine they'll lose some employees over that.

jelly

Very true. I think buying the rights to gears was a great business move for MS. I do wonder however if repurposing Black Tusk was the correct move. Was there really no other MS studio suitable to produce the next gears game? Could they not whip another one up much like they did with Black tusk originally?

Yeah, that's probably a better perspective. Gears IP, whatever you think of it, probably valuable enough to give another go but giving the job to Black Tusk who were possibly making a new IP with great industry experience is up for discussion.

jem0208

Hey guys we're cancelling your new ip. You will make Gears games for life. Enjoy.

Rare'd.

I don't think they'll make Gears games for life. If you look at their site it says "Current project: Gears of War"

If they were going to be the new Gears creator ala 343 with Halo then I think the Gears branding would be a bit more prevalent.

Halo, fair enough. Prologue, not the best example, considering it wasn't even a full product but more a sample of what was to come. Who in their right mind would expect its sales to match those of the numbered titles? As for Forza Motorsport 5, looking past the fact that it's both a launch and bundled title for a successful console (even Killzone and Knack can sell well courtesy of a hot new system), are there any solid figures for it yet from dependable sources?

Didn't stop something like Grand Theft Auto: Vice City or Call of Duty: World at War selling just as much as their mainline predecessors.

btusk inst not that B!g. teh spygam WAS REAAL.
preriod.
n itwa$ good.

Bummer.

Jarmel

Banned
I would not be surprised at all if a bunch of people dropped out of BT. That would leave a really shitty taste in my mouth if I was working on something new, only to be forced into doing a sequel to a long running series.

I think finishing up the new IP and then doing Gears would be much smarter but at least it sounds like the new IP will eventually come out.

Jarmel

Banned
What they should have done was start hiring for a new studio just for Gears and maybe shift some of the BT members that would be willing. That way, they could have Gears, Halo, Forza, and a new IP.

I forgot about that E3 teaser, it still looks intriguing. I feel bad for the Black Tusk guys :(
Seriously, it's such a shitty move, instead of making their own way with a new franchise, they need to pick up the legacy of an established one, which didn't work out for PCF or 343.

border

You really think so? I think consumers lose track pretty quickly once a series starts using subtitles rather than numbers.

If you ask they average consumer if Call of Duty Ghosts was a "mainline" sequel, what would (s)he answer? What if you asked about GTA: San Andreas? Or Halo Reach.

I forgot about that E3 teaser, it still looks intriguing. I feel bad for the Black Tusk guys :(

iHutGy7nqM7qr.gif

ibm3c9cHIXjSJB.gif

i4qNLuduJOtqn.gif

iXu7MWo1KbMt.gif

black_tusk_by_raziel1992-d6lp1mf.gif

Heartbreaking we'll never get to play this...

I also can't help but wonder how they feel? They were promised some level of freedom to work on a new IP and now they've been lumbered with working on an IP that's now past its prime.

You really think so? I think consumers lose track pretty quickly once a series starts using subtitles rather than numbers.

If you ask they average consumer if Call of Duty Ghosts was a "mainline" sequel, what would (s)he answer? What if you asked about GTA: San Andreas? Or Halo Reach.

CoD is a yearly franchise and San Andreas and Reach where made by the original dev teams. Gears was a side-story and developed by PCF. Very different.

harSon

Banned
Didn't stop something like Grand Theft Auto: Vice City or Call of Duty: World at War selling just as much as their mainline predecessors.

There's a difference between how those games were marketed, and how Gears of War: Judgement was marketed. The latter had a fraction of the marketing campaign that its predecessors had.

PBY

Banned
I'm also genuinely curious about how the studio feels- not sure how their contracts are structured, but I'd imagine its nice to have some security of working on an established IP that will undoubtedly sell. On the other hand, yeah the creativity and freedom isnt there.

Majanew

Banned
Black Tusk hard at work on new IP, that CBOAT says is looking great, and Microsoft forces them to do Gears of War instead. Hey Microsoft, maybe Black Tusk should just do avatar and Kinect-only games with Rare. Stupid motherfuckers.

Maybe they can rework that sequence into a new Gears game. Just get rid of the colorful vibrant city and replace it with gray crumbled plaster buildings; switch out the spy and the enemy soldier for a hulking burly space marine and a lizard man; turn the futuristic pistol into a chainsaw rifle. It practically makes itself.

Spin-offs effect each series differently. COD and GTA were able to get away with it, Gears of War and God of War couldn't. Do you think Sony is going to abandon God of War? Me neither

Black Tusk hard at work on new IP, that CBOAT says is looking great, and Microsoft forces them to do Gears of War instead. Hey Microsoft, maybe Black Tusk should just do avatar and Kienct-only games with Rare. Stupid motherfuckers.

Seriously. What the fuck.

As much as I like Gears, I hope MS wouldn't shit-can a whole exclusive to give us more of the same.

Symax

new IP> old IP
risk of loosing profit<making profit

This was clearly a short term business decision.

Krilekk

Banned
Heartbreaking we'll never get to play this...

I also can't help but wonder how they feel? They were promised some level of freedom to work on a new IP and now they've been lumbered with working on an IP that's now past its prime.

Boy am I glad that project is done for. The gun trigger is moving by itself before the finger moves. ;)

TBH Spencer saying that what we saw at E3 was never a game and Black Tusk stating that they were working on a game at the time of E3 don't contradict themselfs. Both could be true.

Boy am I glad that project is done for. The gun trigger is moving by itself before the finger moves. ;)

TBH Spencer saying that what we saw at E3 was never a game and Black Tusk stating that they were working on a game at the time of E3 don't contradict themselfs. Both could be true.

Did you read CBOAT's post?

new IP> old IP
risk of loosing profit<making profit

This was clearly a short term business decision.

I feel MS pretty much had to do this. Either let Gears go multiplatform or snap up the franchise. Since they spent so much money, they need a quick return on the investment. Building a brand new team would take much longer than putting Black Tusk right on it. Hopefully MS invests more into BT so the other game can come out, though.

Top Bottom