• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer: Black Tusk E3 '13 teaser was "a concept piece", not a in-dev game

AngryMoth

Cancelling an apparently promising new IP in favour of working on a 5th entry to a franchise in decline. This fucking industry. Slightly less interested in buying an xbox one now

ramuh

Little disappointed. I hope this newly formed studio doesn't get stuck doing Gears for the next five years.

I feel MS pretty much had to do this. Either let Gears go multiplatform or snap up the franchise. Since they spent so much money, they need a quick return on the investment. Building a brand new team would take much longer than putting Black Tusk right on it. Hopefully MS invests more into BT so the other game can come out, though.

It's going to be a clusterfuck that will eclipse that of 343i with Halo 4.

MS are making the wrong decision by rushing into development. There's maybe a few drops of milk to extracted from the Gears udders, but they needed to be much smarter and take some risks...neither of which they'll be doing and it's going to end with Gears becoming a joke franchise that will end up being a weight around Black Tusk's and MS' neck...

Boy am I glad that project is done for. The gun trigger is moving by itself before the finger moves. ;)

TBH Spencer saying that what we saw at E3 was never a game and Black Tusk stating that they were working on a game at the time of E3 don't contradict themselfs. Both could be true.

Dude, come on. There's nothing to spin here. MS have shelved a promising stealth IP for one that's in decline. It's short sighted and it's going to blow up in their faces.

I would had loved for this to be a game.

You and me both, brother...

It's going to be a clusterfuck that will eclipse that of 343i with Halo 4.

MS are making the wrong decision by rushing into development. There's maybe a few drops of milk to extracted from the Gears udders, but they needed to be much smarter and take some risks...neither of which they'll be doing and it's going to end with Gears becoming a joke franchise that will end up being a weight around Black Tusk's and MS' neck...

I think you're stretching things, but I can see why you are upset. Also, stealth games are not great sellers lately. The latest Splinter Cell was a bomb financially even though it's supposedly a pretty good game if I recall.

border

CoD is a yearly franchise and San Andreas and Reach where made by the original dev teams. Gears was a side-story and developed by PCF. Very different.

So what? The average consumer has no idea who is developing these games, and I suspect has no conception of the difference between "mainline" and offshoot (particularly when the offshoot has similar cast members).

Blame Judgment's poor sales on the marketing budget or the fact that it was a spring release. Or the fact that it was barely even 18 months after GOW3 was released. I honestly don't think people turned their noses up at it for being a side story.

So what? The average consumer has no idea who is developing these games, and I suspect has no conception of the difference between "mainline" and offshoot (particularly when the offshoot has similar cast members).

Blame Judgment's poor sales on the marketing budget or the fact that it was a spring release. Or the fact that it was barely even 18 months after GOW3 was released. I honestly don't think people turned their noses up at it for being a side story.

I turned my nose up at it. I still haven't played it. Maybe when it's even cheaper I'll get it, but knowing that it was a side-story that didn't come after the events of GoW3, PCF was behind it, and that the multiplayer was underdeveloped... why would I buy it full price?

btusk inst not that B!g. teh spygam WAS REAAL.
preriod.
n itwa$ good.

After reading about how MS treated Rare after buying them, and now shutting down a promising new IP from a new studio in favour of a 5th sequel... ugh, MS needs new management, badly.

edit: AngryMoth pretty much said the same thing. Horrible decision-making by MS.

Wonders how far along black tusk was on the spy game.
Or how far they are right now with gears, im not even sure if i want an Gears singleplayer.

But i would love an Gears multiplayer only game tho. I would even accept microtransaction for skins and double currency earning to buy skins if they just keep it at skins.
I think the ip has enough characters and possible skins to make it like a moba but with the traditional gears multiplayer pump in an ELO division ranking give away special skins after a season is over.

Some times a story has been told. The moba model might only take a small team to make it happen. And the rest could cultivate the new IP further.

I think you're stretching things, but I can see why you are upset. Also, stealth games are great sellers lately. The latest Splinter Cell was a bomb financially even though it's supposedly a pretty good game if I recall.

Blacklist wasn't really marketed all that much and it was coming off the incredibly disappointing Conviction. It's no wonder it bombed...

A new stealth IP that caters to the hardcore could have been incredible and a possible breakout success, especially at a time when there's no stealth games targeting that audience...

B.O.O.M

MS is absolutely shameless to say such an obvious lie like this...no respect for the consumer

This sucks..I was hoping with the XBone MS will go all out with big new IPs and break away from the forza/fable/halo/gears rinse repeat cycle a bit. Looks like that's exactly what's going to happen with a few other exclusives here and there..just like last gen. For shame.

This also ensures that we won't be seeing a game from Black Tusk for a good long while. I'm guessing earliest Fall 2015 now.

PBY

Banned
Dude, come on. There's nothing to spin here. MS have shelved a promising stealth IP for one that's in decline. It's short sighted and it's going to blow up in their faces.
I meannnnn you can prefer the stealth game but come on. This is some projecting.

Klocker

in this industry, it's probably good to have work and to have work that is on a valuable property that will generate profit allowing them to expand and do have more and differing work perhaps...

don't see how this is not good news

How can anyone know it will blow up in their faces? Maybe BT does a great job with Gears and MS decides to let them hire more staff and have a 2nd team work on the original game? Or maybe the original game wasnt looking good and they decided to scrap it and having them work on Gears was a way to keep the studio open. Sucks we never get to know all the behind the scenes stuff, but it seem premature to say that this is going to blow up in their faces.

Orca

I'm not really sure how we can tag anything that's only been seen as a concept video with no real gameplay shown as "promising"

I'd rather see them do something new, but I don't know why people are acting like we really know anything at all about what they were working on.

How can anyone know it will blow up in their faces? Maybe BT does a great job with Gears and MS decides to let them hire more staff and have a 2nd team work on the original game? Or maybe the original game wasnt looking good and they decided to scrap it and having them work on Gears was a way to keep the studio open. Sucks we never get to know all the behind the scenes stuff, but it seem premature to say that this is going to blow up in their faces.

We have insider claiming the game was good and it's pretty obvious this decision to put BT on Gears was done in a rush so as they have a new one by 2015.

It's Halo 4/343i all over again.

I'm not really sure how we can tag anything that's only been seen as a concept video with no real gameplay shown as "promising"

I'd rather see them do something new, but I don't know why people are acting like we really know anything at all about what they were working on.

As mentioned, we have some insider news that it was good. So there's that and the trailer itself showed a lot of potential and promise...

ramuh

I hope this happens, as I love new IPs. I just hope their developers can still work on this new IP on the side. I imagine that some of the developers and artists etc. where hired on the basis they would be building an "exciting" new IP, and not be told to drop everything and build a game on an old IP. Maybe this Gears game will be a reboot or something.

Jomjom

Banned
Can't really blame MS for this decision. There was just no chance that the spygame would have sold anywhere near what a Gears of War 4 (no spinoff Judgment crap) will sell. It's just too much risk for little to no gain for a smart corporation like MS.

New IP and all new assets = expensive

Well known and loved IP and brushing up old assets = inexpensive with little risk and almost guaranteed large rewards.

Mona

Banned
my fault for expecting microsoft to take a risk on something fresh

atleast we still got Quantum Break

we just knew Microsoft was going to find away to get back into the old cycle of games

megalowho

I expect a rename as well. Something Gears related.
Seems like Gears of War 4 would be the low risk option for the mass market regardless of story. Especially with the recent subtitled name falling short of expectations, they'll want to project a new game as a big deal and core numbered entries are a way to do that. Whatever marketing says likely goes, as cynical as that might be.

Amir0x

Banned
Genuinely soul crushing; out with the new, in with the old. Not the path to changing fortunes in my opinion, but it is what it is. Nothing gonna change this now :(

At least I can still anticipate Sunset Overdrive. That looks crazy good

I want to anticipate Quantum Break, but Alan Wake was one of the biggest disappointments of last gen for me (it was one of the reasons I got a 360 before I had a gaming level PC), so I'm gonna be a bit more careful with my hype. Plus the TV thing makes me "eh"

Krakn3Dfx

This seems about like what I'd expect at this point.

If this Gears game doesn't do well, Black Tusk could enjoy a great future in sports based Kinect titles.

beast786

Genuinely soul crushing; out with the new, in with the old. Not the path to changing fortunes in my opinion, but it is what it is. Nothing gonna change this now :(

At least I can still anticipate Sunset Overdrive. That looks crazy good

I want to anticipate Quantum Break, but Alan Wake was one of the biggest disappointments of last gen for me (it was one of the reasons I got a 360 before I had a gaming level PC), so I'm gonna be a bit more careful with my hype. Plus the TV thing makes me "eh"

Did they release any gameplay or cut scene? I can't believe I missed it

AkuMifune

Banned
It's not really Microsofts fault that Epic is too busy counting money from UE4/5. They desperately need a Gears title to bring back some of their crowd and who else can they get to make it? Rare?

Which would be awesome...

nampad

So Phil 'smug face' Spencer caught lying again. Sucks for Black Tusk after all the work they must have put into the new IP.

Would have been way more interested in the new spy game instead of more Gears. Why not get another studio up for Gears or contract somebody?

Microsoft keeps on doing the wrong decisions in my opinion and my interest in getting the Xbone now pretty much relies on Quantum Break.

Green Yoshi

Cancelling an apparently promising new IP in favour of working on a 5th entry to a franchise in decline. This fucking industry. Slightly less interested in buying an xbox one now

I think Microsoft didn't realize that their audience grew older in the last eight years. I'm not a teenager anymore, I don't need a new Gears of War.

kpaadet

I see MS is continuing their trend of hiring talented people only to have them work on old and tired IPs, for shame.

I thought this was known that it was a tech demo...that's how they introduced it at e3 right?

As far as I can remember, it was projected as a future project from Black Tusk studios in the earlier stages of development.

Cross-posting a relevant post

Exactly how I feel at this point. There was so much excitement around that video. Especially after this:

“What that means is we are working on Microsoft’s next big entertainment franchise,” he said. “We’re not working on an existing franchise, we’re looking to build the next Halo here in Vancouver, for example, which is really exciting. We are building something from the ground up.”

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/11/29/microsoft-opens-new-video-game-studio-in-vancouver/

To pretend it was all a concept is a flat out lie. Makes me think all this happened quite recently. :/

Not working on an existing franchise = New IP =/= Gears of war

Amir0x

Banned
Did they release any gameplay or cut scene? I can't believe I missed it

I say "looks" in terms of its insane over-the-top colorful art direction and its reported wild gameplay, obviously we don't yet know how close the final game will look to its unveiling video demo.

I asked this the the other thread, but one answered.

Was the game black tusk working on cancelled, or put on hold?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=758995

ZezSK2r.png

Definitely put on hold as the best case scenario. I think it's likely canned tbh but I'm a bit of a pessimist

btkadams

I asked this the the other thread, but one answered.

Was the game black tusk working on cancelled, or put on hold?

read the OP. spencer claims it was never an actual game. all signs point to it being cancelled, if it really was a game. it doesn't mean they won't visit it in the future, but don't get your hopes up.

Top Bottom