• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer: We Have Just Signed Exclusives That Won’t Be Ready for 2-3 Years, No Point i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed exclusives?

Thought he was against that on Monday.

That's how it goes. Undead Labs signed a a multi year/multi game deal for SoD

Ye like they did with Phantom Dust then he fucked over said developer and made them close their doors you mean that right?

Go30VSSpSm0c8.webp

He says he's against exclusive content where things are exclusive to one version of a game and not available to the other versions of the game.

He didn't say he's against exclusive games period. Why do I need to explain this to people?

He can be against it all he wants. They used to do the same shit.

He says he's against exclusive content where things are exclusive to one version of a game and not available to the other versions of the game.

He didn't say he's against exclusive games period. Why do I need to explain this to people?
What about console launch exclusives that hold content back from a majority of the gaming audience for 3-12 months?

It just *feels* weird, even though what he is saying isn't wrong.

happy all of them are movimg away from early announces. not a fan of the 3 year early announce vapourware for fanboy list wars. Bethesda style is the best

SOR5

Do you guys have no reading comprehension? He's giving an example that's shows he is actively signing games and that he doesn't want to show games of to early. Not that any new games they have coming won't be for another 2-3 years. Do you guys not read the OP, going by the OP's title choice he didn't either if he thought that was thread worthy.

I mean I was really trying to go for a debate on whether it's better to announce years out or announce more close releases but whatever, ive made a Phil bashing thread now or something I guess?

I think Phil's hands are tied. He clearly knows Xbox doesn't have enough games, but you see how he passes the buck to Nadella. Microsoft probably doesn't want to give his division the money it needs to develop exclusive games.

But I keep reading on here in quotes from Phil that Xbox is a huge part of Microsoft and is being fully backed. Are you saying that is not the case OR are we making excuses for Phil? I mean its either Microsoft is fully pushing and backing the Xbox OR Microsoft is hamstringing Phil's budget to support the Xbox.

What about console launch exclusives that hold content back from a majority of the gaming audience for 3-12 months?

It just *feels* weird, even though what he is saying isn't wrong.
console exclusives most of the time exist because of dev size or budget. they sign with one or the other for funding. or sometimes just because they can't do both consoles right now.

I don't think the majority of Xbox players have turned on him. I'm seeing the same rage from the same people in just about every Xbox thread. No matter the subject.
I'm an Xbox owner (I say owner because I have nothing to PLAY on the damn thing) who is sick and tired of him promising games and pretending they're investing in them. It's been years (almost a decade?) since he was head of MS Studios, and 3 years since he became the head of XBox. Where the hell are the results of those "investments" he's been talking about the entire time?

Sounds like I'm the only person excited to get an XOX for multiplats. Much higher chance of native 4k and even 60fps,thats where I'll be playing most of my games.

show me dont tell me yadda yadda yadda

Wtf!?? Tell you what? Lol, that the first half of this year was filled with exclusive games on PS4? And they're still more to come? Even this month? What are you on?

You actually think they don't have more games to show!?? That's playable right now!!? Just keep riding the waves bro. 😂

Matt

And again, he's not actually against them.

As for whatever game he may be talking about, well, yeah. MS's current announced catalog will be pretty much tapped out early next year. There will be new titles to replace what is being released.

JlNX

But I thought he didn't like exclusive deals?

I thought that exclusives were holding back the industry or something. Can't keep up with Spencer.

Signed exclusives?

Thought he was against that on Monday.

Are you guys being intentionally obtuse? you can't seriously not see the difference between a exclusive content deal and first party (which it is not second party or third party) contract for the creation of a game. One is a shitty deal that withholds content from another platform (the deal he's against) the other is a situation like Detroit, a game made by a dev that Sony don't own that is funded by them. With Detroit being a IP they own, but you obviously came into the thread without reading the thread with the intention of make a snide remark that was predisposed.

console exclusives most of the time exist because of dev size or budget. they sign with one or the other for funding. or sometimes just because they can't do both consoles right now.
No, I understand full exclusives. Console launch exclusives come to both consoles, just one first for a determined amount of time.

JusDoIt

But I keep reading on here in quotes from Phil that Xbox is a huge part of Microsoft and is being fully backed. Are you saying that is not the case OR are we making excuses for Phil? I mean its either Microsoft is fully pushing and backing the Xbox OR Microsoft is hamstringing Phil's budget to support the Xbox.

I don't know either way. I just can't think of any other reason why they aren't investing in games. There's no way he has the money but is just not choosing to make games...but maybe he did blow his budget developing the One X in reaction to the PS4 Pro rumors.

aBarreras

Wtf!?? Tell you what? Lol, that the first half of this year was filled with exclusive games on PS4? And they're still more to come? Even this month? What are you on?

You actually think they don't have more games to show!?? That's playable right now!!? Just keep riding the waves bro. 😂

just like i think sony has games they havent shown, i too think that msft have game they havent shown.

no need to say that phil is "full of shit"

lynux3

Are you guys being intentionally obtuse? you can't seriously not see the difference between a exclusive content deal and first party (which it is not second party or third party) contract for the creation of a game. One is a shitty deal that withholds content from another platform (the deal he's against) the other is a situation like Detroit, a game made by a dev that Sony don't own that is funded by them. With Detroit being a IP they own, but you obviously came into the thread without reading the thread with the intention of make a snide remark that was predisposed.

So you mean like how Microsoft won't release the Minecraft update on PS4? Gotcha.

Miles X

More and more I don't understand insane decisions such as closing Lionhead, and even insaner ones like greenlighting Fable Legends.

They're fucked unless they expand their first party, no debate. And given they've just closed loads of studios I doubt that's top of their list.

I just don't understand how and why they are so clueless these days.

just like i think sony has games they havent shown, i too think that msft have game they havent shown.

no need to say that phil is "full of shit"

Obviously, he just said they are 2-3 years away... I read it as you didn't believe so.

I tend to stay away from these discussions, cuz I do love PlayStation and really want Xbox to get their shit together cause I want an S. But yea, I think phil is full of it. I actually think (knows) he is PISSED about all these Sony marketing deals. Wasn't it a thread not too long ago saying he hates exclusives, then now this thread? I see the rebuttal and am disgusted.

Well to be fair, what is a "signed exclusive"? Because if that is a situation that happened with Tomb Raider, that is MUCH worse than a exclusive content deal. Not saying that is the case here, and the Phil bashing is becoming a little too much in this thread but I think it is fair to remain skeptical. Especially after seeing how they were touting so much at there conference games as "exclusive" when it was really just timed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom